New Jersey Devils' Lineup/Roster Thread 2015-16

Triumph

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

Josefson to IR and we signed Blackwood to a 3 year entry level contract.

Timing seems kind of odd to me on the Blackwood contract. Do players sign entry level contracts mid season often?

They do, but it's usually after January 1.  I believe what this means is that this contract starts this year - it will slide, so technically it will not begin until next year, but it means Blackwood will get a signing bonus.  

• 2 weeks later...

Guessing it will be Boucher.  He's having a nice AHL year so far.  Still not a big believer in him myself, and he's starting to get to that age where "can he be a decent NHLer someday?"...if he has a strong year from start to finish for Albany this season, he's not going to have much more to prove down there.

while i think i know the answer, what joke is better:

did they bring the albany times union announcer with for tonights game?

are these the mitchell friedman allstars?

also - these guys all wearing their pre-season numbers is something you'd never see under Lou of course. They'd be wearing the IR guys numbers (or really 32, 33, and 34). 

Edited by sundstrom

Eric Gelinas needs to be in the lineup the rest of the way.  His defensive deficiencies are not only over exaggerated, but he brings the one thing we need the most out of every defensemen on the team.  He not only is the best, but he blows our other defensemen out of the water.  It would also lessen the need to go out and trade for an offensive defenseman.

iCorsi/60

1. Gelinas: 11.88
  2. Severson: 8.72
  3. Schlemko: 8.50
  4. Moore: 8.19
  5. Larsson: 6.32
  6. Greene: 4.82
  7. Merrill: 3.82

2 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Eric Gelinas needs to be in the lineup the rest of the way.  His defensive deficiencies are not only over exaggerated, but he brings the one thing we need the most out of every defensemen on the team.  He not only is the best, but he blows our other defensemen out of the water.  It would also lessen the need to go out and trade for an offensive defenseman.

iCorsi/60

1. Gelinas: 11.88
  2. Severson: 8.72
  3. Schlemko: 8.50
  4. Moore: 8.19
  5. Larsson: 6.32
  6. Greene: 4.82
  7. Merrill: 3.82

Are you kidding? Gelinas in an abortion out there. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

No he's not.

He makes improper reads often. 

His pace is off - he doesn't keep up with the game and needs an extra 1/2 second to make decisions in the defensive zone. 

He now rarely puts himself in position to actually use his shot. 

He's actually been lazy retreating back into the zone more and more. 

Honestly - I think the jig is up and he's filler or out of the league in 2 years. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

His pace is off - he doesn't keep up with the game and needs an extra 1/2 second to make decisions in the defensive zone. 

Honestly - I think the jig is up and he's filler or out of the league in 2 years. 

Absolutely amazing how lazy he is. It's completely unacceptable. It seems to get worse and worse. I don't care what that stats above says. The guy plays with no heart 

I don't think he's lazy, the game just moves too fast for him.  He thinks he's done his job when he's made a positive action - he's just not in motion continuously.

Either way he isn't good and the fact that he can get more shot attempts than any of the defensemen does not bail him out.

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

Everything you just said applies to the entire defense core.  Everybody on the backend seem to take too long to make decisions, and they all hang onto the puck too long.

Gelinas actually does shoot more than any defeseman on the team.  The stat I provided proves that.  The dmen don't shoot enough, and when they do, they suck at getting it on net.  He is the one defensman who does help the offense on a regular basis.

The guy who really needs a kick in the ass is Merrill.  He provides zero to this team right now.

22 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Everything you just said applies to the entire defense core.  Everybody on the backend seem to take too long to make decisions, and they all hang onto the puck too long.

Gelinas actually does shoot more than any defeseman on the team.  The stat I provided proves that.  The dmen don't shoot enough, and when they do, they suck at getting it on net.  He is the one defensman who does help the offense on a regular basis.

The guy who really needs a kick in the ass is Merrill.  He provides zero to this team right now.

It really doesn't make a difference.  Okay great, so Gelinas gets 6.48 shots/60.  Let's imagine he plays 12 minutes a game at ES and he plays 70 games.  That's 840 minutes.  In that time he will have 90 shots.  But Gelinas shoots around 3% at ES, so this only results in 3 goals a season.  There's some deflection goals and stuff in there, but he really isn't making a large difference at even strength.

39 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It really doesn't make a difference.  Okay great, so Gelinas gets 6.48 shots/60.  Let's imagine he plays 12 minutes a game at ES and he plays 70 games.  That's 840 minutes.  In that time he will have 90 shots.  But Gelinas shoots around 3% at ES, so this only results in 3 goals a season.  There's some deflection goals and stuff in there, but he really isn't making a large difference at even strength.

He's also been in and out of the lineup, and several games getting under 14 minutes a game total.  Put it this way, he's been far better than Merrill.  Merrill has done nothing to belong in the lineup.

10 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Gelinas is also the only defenseman with above 50% in all possession categories on the team.

In the case of Gelinas there's really no amount of fancy stats that can account for what the eye test actually sees him do on the ice, typically against the opponents weakest lines. 

He'll bounce around the league for a few years just because of his booming shot but I doubt he'll be in jersey after this year or in the NHL at all in 3 years.  

6 hours ago, Patty4HOF said:

He also receives the most advantageous zone starts and generally faces the other team's weakest players.  

True.  And that in part is kind of the problem.  Greene and Larsson are only getting defensive zone starts.  And if we want to score more goals, they need to be given more offensive zone time.  I understand Hynes wanting the best defensive pair to be in the defensive zone, but I can't find any other top pairing who has provided as little of offense as our top pairing.  Gelinas and Schlemko are the only defensemen he likes giving offensive zone starts to.

5 hours ago, Lateralous said:

In the case of Gelinas there's really no amount of fancy stats that can account for what the eye test actually sees him do on the ice, typically against the opponents weakest lines. 

He'll bounce around the league for a few years just because of his booming shot but I doubt he'll be in jersey after this year or in the NHL at all in 3 years.  

He looked really good last night.  He seemed assertive and took charge instead of just waiting for something to happen.  But how can any defenseman get better with no consistent playing time.  The constant taking him out of the lineup and shuffling him with Merrill is killing both of them.  Look how long it took before Larsson finally became the player he is now.  It's all because he got the chance.  Gelinas and Merrill haven't.  Merrill should be traded imo, because we need Gelinas's skillset more than we need Merrill's.

Bottom line, if Gelinas isn't gonna get regular ice time, Shero absolutely needs to get another offensive forward that can be relied on.

20 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

True.  And that in part is kind of the problem.  Greene and Larsson are only getting defensive zone starts.  And if we want to score more goals, they need to be given more offensive zone time.  I understand Hynes wanting the best defensive pair to be in the defensive zone, but I can't find any other top pairing who has provided as little of offense as our top pairing.  Gelinas and Schlemko are the only defensemen he likes giving offensive zone starts to.

When this team is healthy, who would you trust with the defensive zone starts against the opponent's top players, if not Larsson and Greene? Plus, I think they did make an effort to get the two in more advantageous situations by separating them. But that was before Schlemko and Moore went down.