New Jersey Devils' Lineup/Roster Thread 2015-16

Triumph

4 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

Realistically he came in a and had a decent camp with us, but we're were and remain far deeper in our defensive corps than the Rags.  If you want to debate that the Rags have a stronger defense corps than us now or back then, I'd love to have that discussion.  

This may not be a valid point to make, but the Devils never actually had Stralman under contract, so we never really "had" him.  The Rags signed him after the preseason and he helped take them to the SCF.  THEN Stralman went again with the Lightning last season!  

So no, I don't think we were that stupid, to answer your question.

Agreed, we were less stupid. They let him go after he had a great season. We just didn't sign him after a good camp? Not as dumb. 

On April 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Martyisth3b3st said:

Different scenario, but I suppose it adds to your "lol devilz management sux" argument so you'll look past that

lol no that's not where i was going with this. But it's a bit hypocrite to mock the Rangers for passing on a guy when we passed on him ourselves. i know the situations were different but still, Rangers had cap issues that's also something we'll willingly ignore in order to blindly make fun of them.

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Stralman was a top defenseman and a huge reason that team made a cup run. The scenarios are wildly different.

it must be really tiring being you. 

actually not at all i barely sleep or need sleep. But thanks for caring, means a lot.

I know where you're coming from SD, but to be fair, Stralman wouldn't have made a difference for us that season, or the past two years (what was that, two seasons ago)? Our problem was, and remains, offensive firepower. What he brings to the table isn't anything that would've made our wins/losses record any different. So, considering that, passing on him at the time doesn't really bother me.

However, he provides what has been sorely needed by the Rangers this season and last. And the reasoning for letting him go was essentially to be able to pay more money for some of their current problems. So yeah, much much much bigger oversight on the part of the Rangers than us. I'm not bothered that we missed out on him.

Different scenario, but I suppose it adds to your "lol devilz management sux" argument so you'll look past that

lol no that's not where i was going with this. But it's a bit hypocrite to mock the Rangers for passing on a guy when we passed on him ourselves. i know the situations were different but still, Rangers had cap issues that's also something we'll willingly ignore in order to blindly make fun of them.

I suppose your point holds some merit, but asking us to not make fun of/pick on the Rangers mistakes is like us asking you to not laugh at the downward spiral that was the Montreal Canadiens this year. Also, the Rangers cap problems are friggin hilarious, a responsible team is going to make moves so they have flexibility in changing their roster.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

It's more about hoping that Mozik turns into something good, rather than making fun of the Rangers, I think. We're hoping Mozik becomes a good player, and it would just be a bonus that we stole him from the Rangers. At best, it would be a situation similar to the Stralman one. Although, I can't say that Stralman would have been in the Devils' long term future.

5 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

I suppose your point holds some merit, but asking us to not make fun of/pick on the Rangers mistakes is like us asking you to not laugh at the downward spiral that was the Montreal Canadiens this year. Also, the Rangers cap problems are friggin hilarious, a responsible team is going to make moves so they have flexibility in changing their roster.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

well i'm not asking anyone to not make fun of the Rangers haha i get what you're saying but the MTL thing is not the same really... if MTL would not have a lot of people at their game... i wouldnt make fun of their empty seats you know lol that'd be slightly hypocrite.

for the "responsible team" thing well it's the same thig haha on top of your head, name me another team who had to play an entire game down a player cause they were over the cap. I can only think of us... and at the same time well we burned an ELC year of a below average player cause we were in a corner too.

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

well i'm not asking anyone to not make fun of the Rangers haha i get what you're saying but the MTL thing is not the same really... if MTL would not have a lot of people at their game... i wouldnt make fun of their empty seats you know lol that'd be slightly hypocrite.

for the "responsible team" thing well it's the same thig haha on top of your head, name me another team who had to play an entire game down a player cause they were over the cap. I can only think of us... and at the same time well we burned an ELC year of a below average player cause we were in a corner too.

Ugh, don't remind us!

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Patty is back tonight! Blandisi is out though. @TGfireandice:

Patrik Elias will play tonight

Hope Patrik has a lot of fun these next three games.

Hope Patrik scores a goal or two.

Hope the next time we see Patrik in a Devils jersey, after this season, is at his jersey retirement ceremony next season. 

Thanks for everything Patty.  Very good player and one terrific Devil.  Hell of a career.  Currently 92nd all-time in games played, 87th in goals scored (211th in goals per game, which is pretty damned good considering that he played much of his career on a defensive-minded team in the Dead Puck Era), 76th in assists, 77th in points (162nd overall...see comments on goals per game), 94th in +/-, 26th in game-winning goals (not sure when the NHL started keeping track of that stat). 

And of course, if you take out his developmental years and decline years, his numbers from 1999-00 to 2013-14:

989 GP, 356 G, 535 A, 891 Pts, 0.900 points-per-game, +155 

Re:  the bolded, he was remarkably consistent during this timeframe from a PPG standpoint, considering that Lou didn't always hook Patrik up with ideal talent:

1999-00  1.000

2000-01  1.171

2001-02  0.813

2002-03  0.704

2003-04  0.987

2005-06  1.184

2006-07  0.932

2007-08  0.734

2008-09  1.012

2009-10  0.827

2010-11  0.765

2011-12  0.963

2012-13  0.750

2013-14  0.815 

And this for a franchise and an era that, for the most part, didn't exactly encourage strong offensive numbers...yet somehow Patrik managed averages of 30 goals and 44 assists per 82 GP over these seasons.  Thank you again Patrik!  For all of it.

44 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hope Patrik has a lot of fun these next three games.

Hope Patrik scores a goal or two.

Hope the next time we see Patrik in a Devils jersey, after this season, is at his jersey retirement ceremony next season. 

Thanks for everything Patty.  Very good player and one terrific Devil.  Hell of a career.  Currently 92nd all-time in games played, 87th in goals scored (211th in goals per game, which is pretty damned good considering that he played much of his career on a defensive-minded team in the Dead Puck Era), 76th in assists, 77th in points (162nd overall...see comments on goals per game), 94th in +/-, 26th in game-winning goals (not sure when the NHL started keeping track of that stat). 

And of course, if you take out his developmental years and decline years, his numbers from 1999-00 to 2013-14:

989 GP, 356 G, 535 A, 891 Pts, 0.900 points-per-game, +155 

Re:  the bolded, he was remarkably consistent during this timeframe from a PPG standpoint, considering that Lou didn't always hook Patrik up with ideal talent:

1999-00  1.000

2000-01  1.171

2001-02  0.813

2002-03  0.704

2003-04  0.987

2005-06  1.184

2006-07  0.932

2007-08  0.734

2008-09  1.012

2009-10  0.827

2010-11  0.765

2011-12  0.963

2012-13  0.750

2013-14  0.815 

And this for a franchise and an era that, for the most part, didn't exactly encourage strong offensive numbers...yet somehow Patrik managed averages of 30 goals and 44 assists per 82 GP over these seasons.  Thank you again Patrik!  For all of it.

I wouldn't be totally adverse to bringing him back on a one year deal where most of the money is tied to incentives.  Jarome Iginla still seems to be a very effective player and he's only a year younger. 

Guess it would ultimately depend on how healthy he is. 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I wouldn't be totally adverse to bringing him back on a one year deal where most of the money is tied to incentives.  Jarome Iginla still seems to be a very effective player and he's only a year younger. 

Guess it would ultimately depend on how healthy he is. 

No for me.  No more aging "if" guys.  That's all Patrik would be now...well, IF he can stay healthy and IF he can produce...I'm guessing if he were to come back, he might play 40 games and might somehow average about a half-point per game.  Let someone else take a flyer on him.  I just think it gets to a point where you definitively say "That's it" and you move on...from the player, anyway.  I would love it if Patrik still wanted to be part of the organization. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No for me.  No more aging "if" guys.  That's all Patrik would be now...well, IF he can stay healthy and IF he can produce...I'm guessing if he were to come back, he might play 40 games and might somehow average about a half-point per game.  Let someone else take a flyer on him.  I just think it gets to a point where you definitively say "That's it" and you move on...from the player, anyway.  I would love it if Patrik still wanted to be part of the organization. 

Get what you're saying.  I guess my point was more that I wouldn't be all that upset either way.  There's a more than insignificant chance that he would be a net positive on the ice next year.  But there is virtually no chance that we've got an ageless wonder on our hands like Jagr. 

I heard there will be a video tribute to Lou tomorrow night... With Zacha making his NHL debut and Patty quite possibly playing in his last game, it will be a good blend of honoring the past while looking forward to the future. Should be a fun and emotional night.