NFL Week 14

Beezer34

Alot of noteworthy games, in what will be a very interesting week of football starting tomorrow.

Can Carolina win their 17th consecutive game? Will Brock stay undefeated @ 4-0? Are the Eagles bouncing back? Can the Seahawks win their 4th in-a-row? Will the Patriots lose their 3rd in-a-row? (can't believe I'm even typing that one) And of course: Will my JETS go to 8-5?!

Beezer's Power Rankings
*TOP 5 NFL TEAMS ARE:

1. Panthers
    2. Cardinals
    3. Bengals
    4. Broncos
    5. Patriots

Edited by Beezer34

Jets, oddly enough can finish 11-5 and miss a wild card (reminiscent of the 2008 Patriots) but only if Pitt and KC also win out. Revis I think should be back. If we jump on the Titans early that should be enough to take care of them. Our secondary will take a sign of relief when they see no Odell Beckham on the field, and Tennessee won't be able to run the ball on us at all (unless Mariotta breaks containment). 27-10 Jets

Jets desperately need a win vs Tennessee and a Steeler loss to Cincinnati. Then we can plot our own course.

Eagles I think gathered a ton of momentum in beating N.E. and will beat Buffalo. 

Patriots...tough to see them ever losing 3 in a row. Especially with the Texans nonexistent running game and the fact that Belichick will take away Hopkins early and make life difficult for Hoyer.

Eagles I think gathered a ton of momentum in beating N.E. and will beat Buffalo.

There are just some teams that match up really well against some divisions, and that's the Eagles with the AFC East. They beat the Jets, they beat the Pats, and they should've beaten the Dolphins. (Miami won 20-19) I can definitely see them taking down Rex. 

There are just some teams that match up really well against some divisions, and that's the Eagles with the AFC East. They beat the Jets, they beat the Pats, and they should've beaten the Dolphins. (Miami won 20-19) I can definitely see them taking down Rex. 

Kelly vs Ryan will be interesting. I can see Rex getting flustered and confused and blitzing like crazy (and getting burned with little dump offs and quick slants all day)

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/disappointing-de-damontre-moore-released-giants-article-1.2463253?faf&utm_content=bufferf58c4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=aclayton+twitter

Beatsgate! Giants release Moore after he apparently got into a confrontation with Cullen Jenkins who took multiple pairs

If this was the Jets, wow would Francesa have a field day

http://m.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/disappointing-de-damontre-moore-released-giants-article-1.2463253?faf&utm_content=bufferf58c4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=aclayton+twitter

Beatsgate! Giants release Moore after he apparently got into a confrontation with Cullen Jenkins who took multiple pairs

If this was the Jets, wow would Francesa have a field day

Honestly.. I would love to take a flyer out on this kid. He's got about 9 sacks over his last 23 games, playing with NOBODY on the Giants front seven. Put him in a rotation with Snacks, Mo, Williams, Sheldon, Pace, Harris, Douzable, etc. and see if he can slip under the radar. There'd be a hell of alot less pressure on him that's for sure. He's only 23 years old! I think the Giants were way to hasty here. There are two sides to every story. Jenkins is a 35 year old punk, who shouldn't even be playing football anymore. The Giants would throw away a 3rd round pick they selected 2 years ago, to side with a player who'll be retiring in 3 weeks?

If this were the Jets the entire media would have a field day. Granted there was just a dramatic Jets-Giants game on the field and baseball hot stove is dominating the coverage but still I barely knew about this, compare that to the coverage of Geno

Honestly.. I would love to take a flyer out on this kid. He's got about 9 sacks over his last 23 games, playing with NOBODY on the Giants front seven. Put him in a rotation with Snacks, Mo, Williams, Sheldon, Pace, Harris, Douzable, etc. and see if he can slip under the radar. There'd be a hell of alot less pressure on him that's for sure. He's only 23 years old! I think the Giants were way to hasty here. There are two sides to every story. Jenkins is a 35 year old punk, who shouldn't even be playing football anymore. The Giants would throw away a 3rd round pick they selected 2 years ago, to side with a player who'll be retiring in 3 weeks?

Which could also tell you it might not exactly have been the first time this guy stepped out of line either. The article itself seems to indicate that. If anything these are the kind of headcases we need to get away from, not get more of. Edited by NJDevs4978

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-notes-jaguars-2/

“I definitely could have handled it better by just walking away obviously. It was more of a respect thing. A combination of things build up over time, and the way the situation fully unfolded and evolved.. I just felt like, as a teammate and a brother, things should have been handled a certain way. But also I should have handled things in a certain way, maybe talking it out a little more and walking away from it. I wish him the best of luck. I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I understand this just happened 24 hours ago, and they’re getting ready for a really important Monday night game that is a must-win, and they’re fighting for a playoff spot. So I’m not expecting him to reach out to me right now. Things happen. If I just got into it with somebody, I wouldn’t hit them up immediately right afterwards, trying to be buddy-buddy with them, especially if I have other things on the line. We all know what’s at stake for them.” --Damontre Moore

Beastly display by the NE D tonight, when they absolutely needed it. Possibly their best effort of the year.  Gotten some lucky drops, but they've still been superb tonight overall.

Both Cincy and Denver crap the bed at home.  Dalton is rumored out for the year.  Denver has to go to Pittsburgh next week then they both meet in Week 16 in Denver on MNF.  The Patriots making a statement at Houston (especially their defense).  Unless the Patriots stumble against the Jets and Denver/Cincy run the table the Patriots look like they've clinched the #1 seed tonight.

They can't stumble at home against the Titans.  I can see the Jets beating them at MetLife.  But as long as they win their next game, they should be able to nab the #1 or #2 seed.

Titans were less competitive than the Texans tonight. Tennessee is just hot garbage and their is no way NE loses to them.

That would mean N.E. comes into MetLife with most everything wrapped up, the Jets could conceivably be 9-5 and NOT in control of their own destiny. In that case NE would really relish wrecking our season.

Bengals are a joke and this kind of sh!t always happens to them vs. Pittsburgh. Pitt and KC I think will probably run the table, though Oakland could beat KC last game of the year. Jets may find themselves 10-6 and out of the playoffs. Or even 11-5 and out of the playoffs. We really need Denver to step up and beat Pittsburgh next week.

Edited by '7'

The Jets will need that game big time...I think they can find a way to get it done...especially if NE gets to 12 wins.  If the Pats somehow lose to the Titans, I think it's a tougher road for the Jets for sure (but definitely still possible for them).  

Dallas will be tough for them because of how well the Cowboys D-Line collapses the pocket. Though Ivory is a lot like Lacy and he had a field day vs Dallas...plus now at 4-9 Dallas may be truly demoralized and mailing it in (and Cassel at QB vs our secondary isn't exactly a recipe for success)

But yea that Jets/Pats game after Christmas will have a ton of buzz, and I can definitely see them flexing it into Sunday night (especially since Steelers/Ravens aint what it used to be with no Flacco and the Ravens dead)

Miami's loss clinches the AFC East for NE.  At first I didn't know why, but it comes down to strength-of-victory...basically if the Pats were to lose out and the Jets win out (giving both teams 11-5 records), then NE would win the tie-breaker based on having a higher strength-of-victory (right now the Pats are at .462 and the Jets .375).

I bring this up because I wonder how hard the Patriots are going to try to beat the Jets if they're 12-2 going in (especially if Denver loses to Pittsburgh this week).  The good news for them is that neither the Broncos nor Bengals can win out due to the fact that they're playing each other in Week 16.  Not saying the Pats will do what they did against Buffalo in their final game of the season last year, but I can see them being a lot more cautious against the Jets than they'll be against the Dolphins (the latter may not even make an effort in that one).  Yeah, I know the Pats would love to beat the Jets, but I also think they know the injuries keep piling up.  It will be very interesting to see how the Pats approach this game. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Giants-Vikings flexed into the 12/27 8:30 slot, Steelers-Ravens moved back to 1:00.  Is there a limit as to how many times a team can be flexed in any given season?  Maybe the reason the Pats-Jets game didn't get flexed was because the Pats already got flexed once with the Texans. 

Looked it up and didn't see anything about the above (max number of times any given team can be flexed), but it has to be announced no less than 12 days prior to kickoff of the game to be flexed:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/4/21/8460121/nfl-schedule-2015-sunday-night-football-flex-rules

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Miami's loss clinches the AFC East for NE.  At first I didn't know why, but it comes down to strength-of-victory...basically if the Pats were to lose out and the Jets win out (giving both teams 11-5 records), then NE would win the tie-breaker based on having a higher strength-of-victory (right now the Pats are at .462 and the Jets .375).

I bring this up because I wonder how hard the Patriots are going to try to beat the Jets if they're 12-2 going in (especially if Denver loses to Pittsburgh this week).  The good news for them is that neither the Broncos nor Bengals can win out due to the fact that they're playing each other in Week 16.  Not saying the Pats will do what they did against Buffalo in their final game of the season last year, but I can see them being a lot more cautious against the Jets than they'll be against the Dolphins (the latter may not even make an effort in that one).  Yeah, I know the Pats would love to beat the Jets, but I also think they know the injuries keep piling up.  It will be very interesting to see how the Pats approach this game. 

The Patriots will go balls to the wall to beat the Jets. That's the way they approach these games, it's the right way to do things. It's a rivalry thing, it's a psychological thing (they always want to assert their dominance over division rivals, especially the Jets) and Belichick shows no mercy (neither does Brady) granted they won't go nuts and say...force Edelman on the field before he's ready but the Patriots in this game are even more dangerous because it will be more of a house money thing for them. The Jets could be desperate and tight while N.E. plays fast and loose.

The Jets lost Devin Smith for the season...he only had 9 catches (a Jets rookie receiver not making in impact...ya don't SAY!?) but other than that they are healthier than most other teams...knock on wood this continues after Dallas. Marcus Williams should be back soon and he's an INT machine at CB, he's even intercepted Brady before. So the Jets can hang with them...but I worry about Fitz vs Belichick. He's never had success vs. New England. Sanchez, the insane wildcard that he is, has had more success vs the Pats than Fitz. 

Also if the Patriots can stamp out the Jets now...wouldn't they want to do it and avoid a 2011 scenario again? The Jets did play N.E. very tough early in the season, they led in the 4th Q before N.E. pulled it out.

Edited by '7'

Once Carolina grinds the Giants to dust on Sunday, that Giants-Vikings game will become a lot less compelling. 

If the Jets beat the Cowboys (heck even if they don't) Jets/Patriots is still the marquee matchup that needs to be on in primetime. Vikings are a middling draw and the Giants will be done by then.

I wish Jets/Pats was 4:15. I like those late season evening games when the sun goes down.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Once Carolina grinds the Giants to dust on Sunday, that Giants-Vikings game will become alot less compelling. 

If the Jets beat the Cowboys (heck even if they don't) Jets/Patriots is still the marquee matchup that needs to be on in primetime.

I might be wrong, but if that game does get flexed.. I think that would be our 5th primetime game this season. We played Monday night against the Colts, Sunday night against the Eagles, Thursday night against the Bills, and now Saturday night in Dallas. Not bad for a team that won 4 games last season.

IIRC Eagles wasn't Sunday night.

Cowboys on Saturday night will be a hassle since I have a whole slew of sh!t going on that day with Christmas and all and now I gotta fit a football game in...heh.

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, Beezer34 said:

I might be wrong, but if that game does get flexed.. I think that would be our 5th primetime game this season. We played Monday night against the Colts, Sunday night against the Eagles, Thursday night against the Bills, and now Saturday night in Dallas. Not bad for a team that won 4 games last season.

Pats-Jets can't be flexed, Giants-Vikings already got flexed into that slot.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah the Eagles game was definitely a 1 PM start. Every team gets a Thursday night game so that isn't significant.

Saturday night is at least the day after Christmas lol, but I'll still have to remind myself it's Saturday night constantly cause that's a weird time for a game.

Jets play Saturday night this week.  The game after Christmas is Washington at Philly.  That one should be entertaining...well, as entertaining as three severely flawed teams trying to limp their way to an 8-8 division crown can be.