Crystal Palace

Jimmy Leeds

14 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

My biggest concern is the potential that they are spreading themselves too thin.   it's one thing to play with the big boys in a salary capped league where your costs are effectively fixed.  It's a whole other thing to get into the world of professional soccer, where top talent will cost you $80 million before you even give that player a contract.  

I'm fine with them leaving the Devils alone, provided they hire the right people to run the franchise.  Meddlesome owners are as big if not a bigger problem than absentee owners.

19 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I'm fine with them leaving the Devils alone, provided they hire the right people to run the franchise.  Meddlesome owners are as big if not a bigger problem than absentee owners.

Not to mention the fact that there's no evidence that Harris is not on top of things when it comes to the Devils, but not in a Dan Snyder kind of way.  For example, I believe he was at the draft table for the entirety of the draft, which is not something I think a lot of owners do.  I don't think that he owns a piece of a soccer team now is going to change things all that much. 

Bottom line is that he's smart guy, who appears to be interested in building teams that can win in the long term, but at the same time isn't a fan boy.  That's probably the best you can hope for in an owner these days. 

16 hours ago, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

Where in this thread did I say what you are quoting?

Here (and many many many instances in the past reincarnations of your presence here).

On 12/20/2015 at 0:16 AM, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

They ruined the 76ers, now onto Crystal Palace! Fan interactions between the owners and the supporters should be interesting.

By virtue of purchasing a new team, you deduce that they're inevitably going to ruin that team. I just don't understand the logic.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Can't stand Palace and was hoping they would be swiftly relegated. 

They are planning to invest 50 million into the stadium, which is much needed as it's one of the worst in the league. Certainly the worst of any premier league club in London.  

This could take up a lot of their resources. But it depends on their aims. If they want to actually challenge for the title long term they may need to spend 250 million on developing the squad. 

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2015 at 11:12 PM, Chuck the Duck said:

My biggest concern is the potential that they are spreading themselves too thin.   it's one thing to play with the big boys in a salary capped league where your costs are effectively fixed.  It's a whole other thing to get into the world of professional soccer, where top talent will cost you $80 million before you even give that player a contract.  

Agreed.  I think that's what sank the old Dallas stars owner (along with the worst recession of our lifetimes) who by all accounts, prior to his financial troubles with Manchester United I think, had been a great owner for the Stars.  

10 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

hey are planning to invest 50 million into the stadium, which is much needed as it's one of the worst in the league. Certainly the worst of any premier league club in London. 

Stadium is better than Bournemouth, which only holds 14,000!!

1 hour ago, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

I don't understand your point in posting this article? The article focuses on the struggles of the Sixers, and then makes note that it WILL NOT equate to the approach in Crystal Palace and that the atmosphere in New Jersey is generally pleasant and well received.

Bad troll attempt is bad, but I barely expect that you even read the article, you just read the headline.

European soccer is totally different than North American sports.  There is absolutely no benefit in intentionally losing.  There is benefit in trying to run a profitable team and not paying for expensive transfers - from what little I know about soccer, American owners have been chastised for their committment to the bottom line because in Europe it's expected that sports teams lose money and that it's just a plaything for the rich.

Given how Shero is running NJ and Hinkie is running the 76ers, these teams both see that old talent is not the way to go.  I expect Crystal Palace to do the same.

10 hours ago, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

Well, the article was posted because it takes into account the two competing views of the board. One, Harris has badly mismanaged the 76ers, is a miser, and "trust the process" has been an abject failure. Or, two, Harris is developing long term assets that in turn will lead to the 76ers success. 

I obviously reside in the former group, but many of you reside in the latter.

Like I said earlier in this thread, you are going to find out what type of owner he is. Palace will need to spend money to attract talent, but will Harris spend money, and at that productively.

Harris can dump money into Crystal Palace, and build a youth academy second to none, but if they don't have the name recognition, they will never attract top talent.

You say the bolded part where you say Palace has to spend money to attract talent but question if Harris will spend the money.  You then follow it up by saying even if Harris spends money they won't have name recognition and will never attract top talent.

So in contradicting yourself you are basically showing your true agenda where no matter what Harris does he just cannot win in the eyes of people like you.  Just go away already. 

On 23/12/2015 at 7:18 PM, redruM said:

Stadium is better than Bournemouth, which only holds 14,000!!

It holds less people but it's a nicer stadium. It was completely rebuilt in 2001. The homesdale is the most recent stand at palace. That was rebuilt in 1994. 

The main stand only got plastic seats last year!!!

It's a horribly outdated ground. 

On 24/12/2015 at 3:55 AM, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

Well, the article was posted because it takes into account the two competing views of the board. One, Harris has badly mismanaged the 76ers, is a miser, and "trust the process" has been an abject failure. Or, two, Harris is developing long term assets that in turn will lead to the 76ers success. 

I obviously reside in the former group, but many of you reside in the latter.

Like I said earlier in this thread, you are going to find out what type of owner he is. Palace will need to spend money to attract talent, but will Harris spend money, and at that productively.

Harris can dump money into Crystal Palace, and build a youth academy second to none, but if they don't have the name recognition, they will never attract top talent.

This just isn't true. Look at Manchester City. You only have to go back to 1999 and they were in division 2. Players don't follow reputation they follow the money. If Palace have the resources to pay players will come. Look at Cabaye, he came to Palace from PSG.

On 24/12/2015 at 5:29 AM, Triumph said:

European soccer is totally different than North American sports.  There is absolutely no benefit in intentionally losing.  There is benefit in trying to run a profitable team and not paying for expensive transfers - from what little I know about soccer, American owners have been chastised for their committment to the bottom line because in Europe it's expected that sports teams lose money and that it's just a plaything for the rich.

Given how Shero is running NJ and Hinkie is running the 76ers, these teams both see that old talent is not the way to go.  I expect Crystal Palace to do the same.

The first part is very much true, look at Randy Learner at Aston Villa. He never backed his initial investment and now villa are about to go down. Too many owners have purchased clubs expecting a return on investment. It just doesn't happen in football. Arsenal are the only team where I think investors could actually get any money out. If Harris is hoping he can stick a big lump of investment in and then sit and wait for success he is misguided.

Teams no longer really go down the route of signing older players anymore (they get shipped off to the MLS). A lot of clubs like palace look to bring in young players on the cheap and hope they develop and sell for profit (Zaha to Manchester United,  Bolassie might go this year) . Premier league teams used to invest in older players from Europe (Chelsea had massive success doing this pre Abramovich) but with the age players are playing to decreasing and modern scouting that just doesn't happen anymore.

On 25/12/2015 at 7:13 PM, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

Because there are 3 different scenarios.

1. Harris spends money with his co-investors and they go after the likes of Pogba, Zlatan, Neymar, and others. 

2. He spends money and the players he purchases though good, are failures. See Diego Forlan during his stint at Manchester United.

3. He spends money on the organization itself by developing a youth academy, but just doing that won't attract young talent, as there are many other youth academies with just as many resources (Juve, Barca, Bayern, City, United, et cetera) 

He has got to spend to A LOT to develop a club that will reside in the upper echelon of of the BPL.

Developing the youth set up won't have any impact on palaces success in the premier league. City and Chelsea have spent billions and they have very little to show for it. United are starting to run dry of talent.  Scouting is the key. 

Palace actually have a very good youth set up. 

3 hours ago, Stan Fischler's Beard said:

City were on the ascent prior to the Sheikh turning up. A lot of that had to do with Sven, but they produced some decent players in their youth academy namely SWP. That next step though to become an elite club, was definitely facilitated by the ownership group from the United Arab Emirates. I cannot see Crystal Palace spending a similar amount of money. What City did was unprecedented, and they also signed an established star in Robinho to show that things were now different in Manchester. By all accounts, Harris will not pursue a similar action.

Again  not true. City were massively inconsistent. They scraped survival two season after promotion.  They never broke into the top 6. And they produced one good player in SWP and promptly sold him to Chelsea. Sven was there for one season and was promptly dumped after finishing 9th.What you are describing sounds more like Chelsea. Robinho signaled that City had no idea what they were doing. They brought him to assert themselves in the transfer market. Didn't have the team around him to improve and took a few steps backwards before he fled back to Europe.  

Harris won't be able to do what City did even if he had the money anyway, because financial fair play has put paid to that completely.  

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 6:33 AM, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

It holds less people but it's a nicer stadium. It was completely rebuilt in 2001. The homesdale is the most recent stand at palace. That was rebuilt in 1994.

The main stand only got plastic seats last year!!!

It's a horribly outdated ground.

Did not realize till now that you were a Londoner... so which London team do you follow??

On 31/12/2015 at 3:38 PM, redruM said:

Did not realize till now that you were a Londoner... so which London team do you follow??

Yep, born in South West London. 

Chelsea. Family tradition, my great great grandfather used to go. So that was back in the 1920's. 

Every generation since has been a blue. 

Grew up in Croydon though, surrounded by palace fans. 

17 hours ago, redruM said:

No family traditions here, I have a brother who is a Chelsea fan, another brother & my son are United fans... and u probably know I'm a gunner....

Have to admit I'm enjoying the fall of the blues this year...

Always interesting to see who people pick when they live in another country. 

I think you stand a very good shot of winning the league this year. The next 5 games are critical. 

I became a Gooner when I was a wee lad when a friend of my father's brought me back a couple of Arsenal pins.  Wish I could find them..........

It would have been great being able to follow it like I do now even ten years ago when they went unbeaten, but the coverage just wasn't  there like it is today.

I almost bought a brick when they built Emirates like I did for the Championship Plaza at The Pru

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

1 hour ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

It would have been great being able to follow it like I do now even ten years ago when they went unbeaten, but the coverage just wasn't  there like it is today.

I almost bought a brick when they built Emirates like I did for the Championship Plaza at The Pru

So true, growing up the only soccer I remember watching is the cosmos, then MSG started showing United games about 10 years ago on replay, and then YES did the same with Arsenal about 7 years ago...Fabregas really made me an Arsenal fan, loved watching him