NFL Week 16

'7'

Kicks off tonight with a Raiders/Chargers game that nobody will give a flying f*ck about. Though it has been interesting watching the Raiders morph into something that resembles a legit NFL franchise again. They are playing hard and Del Rio is a respectable coach that looks like he'll stick around more than the usual 5 minutes that Raider coaches last. Carr is a solid QB.

Giants-Vikings. May not mean anything to NY as a Redskin win on Saturday eliminates them. Petulant child OBJ has been suspended

Jets-Patriots. Jets a solid 9-5 but still desperate for a win and help. Patriots rolling along despite being ravaged by injuries. Jets will have Mo Lewis as a ceremonial pre game captain. Yea...good karma there.

One play from week 16 that goes under the radar (especially after the whole coin toss shenanigans) take a look at the catch Gronkowski makes on the 4th down late in the game. It's not an Odell Beckham sticky gloves viral video thing, but to make that catch on 4th down, and to hold on and keep chugging downfield after a vicious crushing blow from Pryor was very impressive. That kind of hit cuts normal receivers in half.

Gronk is a beast.  As valuable to the Pats as anyone else on the team at this point.  To say the offense isn't the same without him is a massive understatement. 

Gronk might be as important as Brady to that team. I didn't fully realize it before this season.

If the Jets find a way to beat the Bills next week.. I actually want to see the Pats beat the Dolphins. I would hate to see New England win the Division with 12 wins, and be in 2nd place with 11 wins.. lamenting those loses against the Eagles, Bills, Pats and Texans, all of which the Jets should've won imo.

Edited by Beezer34

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

If we win that game we're 11-4 and everything is different.

Imagine that?!! The one that gets to me the most was Philly, but, yeah.... pick one! To your point, pick just one of those games we threw away, and we're 11-4 right now, with the playoffs already locked up. :P It's crazy to think about, which is why I don't try and focus on in too much. I'll go mad.

..at the very least, we're in control of our won sh!t. I would've been sick if we had ended the season with 11 wins, and missed the playoffs. If we lose next week and miss the playoffs.. then we lose. At least we'll know we blew it, and have no one else to blame but ourselves.

So regarding the HGH allegations against Manning.  Although he's pretty adamantly denied them, and Al Jazeera's source appears to be backing off his claims, even if they're true, I think the pendulum has kind of swung in the direction of PED hysteria. The report indicates that Manning used HGH in recovering from his neck injury.  If that's true, it would be indication that it's a very effective treatment for an injury that some thought would end his career.  I understand the argument that "rules are rules," but it seems bizarre to call taking some kind of substance that might mitigate the need to undergo risky surgery in order to recover from an injury is the same as cheating. 

57 minutes ago, Beezer34 said:

Gronk might be as important as Brady to that team. I didn't fully realize it before this season.

If the Jets find a way to beat the Bills next week.. I actually want to see the Pats beat the Dolphins. I would hate to see New England win the Division with 12 wins, and be in 2nd place with 11 wins.. lamenting those loses against the Eagles, Bills, Pats and Texans, all of which the Jets should've won imo.

Can't look at that stuff through homer glasses (especially you almost never look at the games you could've/should've lost on the flip side of the would/coulda/shoulda coin...with you, it's always about the games the Jets "should've" won, and never about the ones they "should've" lost).  Like Parcells said (paraphrasing):  Your record is what it says you are.  In the NFL, just about EVERY team has games that they can look back on in-season and lament...in a parity-driven league, you're always going to have close games that come down to a handful of plays. 

vs the Eagles:  your team falls behind by 24 and turns the ball over four times, and the Jets should've won?!

vs the Pats (first game):  so the Jets should've just been able to take a 20-16 lead home, no questions asked?  The Patriot offense was a lot more formidable back then, and Brady has engineered a lot of 4th-quarter comebacks.

vs the Bills:  Jets trail by 22-3 in the third and turn the ball over four times...hard to make a case for them deserving to win. 

vs the Texans:  Fitz takes an 0-fer on deep throws (was an issue for him at the time) and the Jets never lead in the game.  He also threw two picks.

Jets also the lost the turnover battle in all four of these losses...by a combined count of 12-2...not much of a surprise, especially when in two of the losses the Jets turned the ball over four times.  The Jets are 10-5 and really should be 10-5 (which is obviously nothing to sneeze at, especially coming off a four-win season).  No good case to be made as to why they should be better or worse.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Beezer34 said:

It was obvious last year the first month of the season when Gronk was just coming back from injury and not himself, that's when Brady struggled and there were even fools whispering he should be benched.  After Gronk got back in gear that's when Brady destroyed the league after that.

1 hour ago, Beezer34 said:

Imagine that?!! The one that gets to me the most was Philly, but, yeah.... pick one! To your point, pick just one of those games we threw away, and we're 11-4 right now, with the playoffs already locked up. :P It's crazy to think about, which is why I don't try and focus on in too much. I'll go mad.

..at the very least, we're in control of our won sh!t. I would've been sick if we had ended the season with 11 wins, and missed the playoffs. If we lose next week and miss the playoffs.. then we lose. At least we'll know we blew it, and have no one else to blame but ourselves.

I agree on the latter.  As far as the rest, it's hard for me to go back and play the should have game for a team that wasn't even expected to win 10 games, much less 11+.  The Texan game was by far the worst loss of the season, but it also led to Bowles' defining moment so far as a coach IMO where he reamed the team out, cut Coples and let them know mediocrity wasn't acceptable.  They haven't lost since, so even that loss created some good.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

So regarding the HGH allegations against Manning.  Although he's pretty adamantly denied them, and Al Jazeera's source appears to be backing off his claims, even if they're true, I think the pendulum has kind of swung in the direction of PED hysteria. The report indicates that Manning used HGH in recovering from his neck injury.  If that's true, it would be indication that it's a very effective treatment for an injury that some thought would end his career.  I understand the argument that "rules are rules," but it seems bizarre to call taking some kind of substance that might mitigate the need to undergo risky surgery in order to recover from an injury is the same as cheating. 

Even if you're right...Peyton's one of the .0002% of athletes I would actually still be floored if he did go down that road.  The Manning name itself is football royalty, partly cause of Archie but still I'd be stunned if any one of them knowingly used HGH.

I do think Peyton's wishing he'd retired after the playoff loss last year though, this year's been a total unmitigated disaster for him on and off the field.

Edited by NJDevs4978

From The San Diego Union-Tribune via Rotoworld:

The Chargers fined FS Eric Weddle $10,000 for staying on the field last Sunday to watch his daughter perform in a dance ceremony at halftime of San Diego's Week 16 win over the Dolphins.
It was impending free agent Weddle's final home game as a Charger. Weddle was "stunned" and "furious" for being fined for what the Chargers comically labeled "conduct detrimental to the team." On Monday, the Chargers placed Weddle on I.R. "against his wishes" after informing him "there is not room on the plane for him" to make the team's Week 17 trip to Denver.

Anyone want to take a guess as to whether the Chargers will re-sign Eric Waddle?  

21 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's hard for me to go back and play the should have game for a team that wasn't even expected to win 10 games, much less 11+.

There are many sports related topics I will defiantly insist upon until my death bed. The 2014 Jets “really not being THAT bad” is absolutely one of them.. and I think that's showing this season. I know Tuna’s words of: You are what your record says you are.. are commonly used to combat my argument.. but the fact remains. --We lost 7 games by one possession last season. (one shy from tying the NFL record) You look back and see a 27-25 loss in New England. Another 17-16 loss to the same team. 16-13 against Miami. A crushing OT loss in Minnesota. Give me a fvcking break here. Like I said….. I get it. A loss, is a loss, is a loss.. there’s no changing them. But typically teams catch a 50:50 ratio from coinflip “luck” games. That didn’t happen for last years team. With the exceptions of the Bills\Chargers, we were unquestionably in every game. Just the small addition of Percy Harvin Week 9, completely transformed the squad. The Jets had a 3-4 record over the last 7 games of the season, and looked like a different team the second Harvin came aboard.

I wasn't playing the would've\could've game with all 4 losses I sited.. I was responding to 7 regarding just ONE of those L's being a W. I stand by my stance, regardless what the boxscore and\or narrative suggests. Jets could've won all 4 of those games.. but they should've won at least 1.

Honestly, Chip is a pretty solid coach, but things just disintegrated so fast in Philly. From the racism claims to his bizarre handling of player personnel, practice methods, the way he ran his offense.

I think he can succeed in this league if he was just willing to be a bit more flexible. Belichick and Coughlin over time learned to be more flexible. Mangini didn't.

That said. He may never want back in the NFL again anyway

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Honestly, Chip is a pretty solid coach, but things just disintegrated so fast in Philly. From the racism claims to his bizarre handling of player personnel, practice methods, the way he ran his offense.

I think he can succeed in this league if he was just willing to be a bit more flexible. Belichick and Coughlin over time learned to be more flexible. Mangini didn't.

That said. He may never want back in the NFL again anyway

Apparently he's indicated that if he gets a new NFL head coaching job that he'll be willing to forego any personnel decisions.  Unless there is a weirdness akin to Mangini, I think he should get another chance.  He's an innovative coach that ultimately had a winning record over three seasons with three less than stellar QBs (albeit one of those QBs was the guy he handpicked).