GDT: Devils vs Boring Hockey 7PM MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

19 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

Bro, we're right in the middle of a playoff hunt.  No need to trade him.

He's not saying we should... He's saying we should listen to possible offers and if someone offers something stupid, consider a trade. That's just smart business, it doesn't necessarily mean Stempniak will be moved. For the record, I don't wanna trade him either. But you always keep your ears open if you're a GM, that's your job. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

He's not saying we should... He's saying we should listen to possible offers and if someone offers something stupid, consider a trade. That's just smart business, it doesn't necessarily mean Stempniak will be moved. For the record, I don't wanna trade him either. But you always keep your ears open if you're a GM, that's your job. 

Well ya obviously.  But that goes for any player.

5 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Too early to say what to do with Stempniak, or to say that the Devils are right in the middle of a playoff hunt (and most of the teams around them have a game or two in hand).  The trading deadline is over 5 weeks away.  A lot can happen between now and then.  I need to see where the Devils are on 2/28. 

The wild cards here are Blandisi and Boucher...can they actually start making consistent offensive contributions to this team in what will amount to fast-tracking?  Will Zajac go back into yet another offensive black hole?  We know the Achilles' heel has been...the only way the Devils will stop hovering around 3-5 games over NHL-.500 (without making deals) is to start getting more offense from what they already have in house.  It looks like the "Big Four" will probably continue to find ways to keep scoring goals at a strong rate, but they clearly can't do it by themselves...and as everyone knows, a big problem this season has been lack of other guys stepping up or finding the net. 

13 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Good first 40 minutes, but an awful 3rd.

ALL SITUATIONS

• Shots: 32-19 Senators
  • Corsi: 48-34 Senators
  • Scoring Chances: 26-16 Senators
  • HD Scoring Chances: 17-9 Senators

5 on 5

• Shots: 25-15 Senators
  • Corsi: 38-27 Senators
  • Scoring Chances: 22-12 Senators
  • HD Scoring Chances: 15-6 Senators

Most teams when they build a big lead will tend to take the foot off the gas pedal. 

7 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

There are so many players to like on the team this year that play an entertaining style of hockey.  

The Palmieri trade was pure theft. 

Well that's what people should do. Look at the Palmieri trade that came out of Lou trading Jagr eventhough we were in the run and see the potential of a trade like that. Are we better now for the future with Palmieri or missing the playoffs with Jagr?

I still can't believe there was people supporting "going blindly all out at the deadline not looking at all options and just decide to keep guys for a run / were in the run so we don't trade anyone" that's really one track minded and really not good for business 

Look at the Clarkson situation and the Jagr situation. It's mind bogging that there was even a debate there.

Edited by SterioDesign

Fantastic game.  Missed it because I was at the Lightning game, but was checking on my phone.  Saw 1-0 early and thought "Awesome, this is good, I like when we score first", then a few minutes later saw 4-0 and thought "Wtf, this app is broken".  Then saw 5-0 at the end of the 1st and just did nothing but smile.

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's what people should do. Look at the Palmieri trade that came out of Lou trading Jagr eventhough we were in the run and see the potential of a trade like that. Are we better now for the future with Palmieri or missing the playoffs with Jagr?

I still can't believe there was people supporting "going blindly all out at the deadline not looking at all options and just decide to keep guys for a run / were in the run so we don't trade anyone" that's really one track minded and really not good for business 

Look at the Clarkson situation and the Jagr situation. It's mind bogging that there was even a debate there.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date=02/26/2015&season=20142015&type=CON

Devils clearly weren't "in the run" the day Jagr was traded (2/26/2015).  They were eight points out, with the 8th-place team at the time (Boston) having a game in hand, and weren't even playing NHL-.500 at the time.   When Clarkson was kept, the Devils were tied for 8th.  You can make the argument that they were definitely trending the wrong way...after an 8-1-3 start, they were 7-11-6 leading up to the deadline...some GMs may have pulled the plug, especially with Kovalchuk being hurt.  All spilled milk now. 

What will be interesting to see in the Eastern Conference is how many of these teams really think they've got a shot.  You've got 13 out of 16 teams that are currently in the hunt.  How many of them are thinking "Why not us?", and will be hesitant to deal off pieces to get future assets?  That's why a guy like Stempniak is intriguing...if the market turns out to be slim pickins, there's a chance a guy like that gets a better return than anyone would expect.  I think unless the Devils are firmly in the playoff hunt, they still should be thinking about next season and beyond.   

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?date=02/26/2015&season=20142015&type=CON

Devils clearly weren't "in the run" the day Jagr was traded (2/26/2015).  They were eight points out, with the 8th-place team at the time (Boston) having a game in hand, and weren't even playing NHL-.500 at the time.   When Clarkson was kept, the Devils were tied for 8th.  You can make the argument that they were definitely trending the wrong way...after an 8-1-3 start, they were 7-11-6 leading up to the deadline...some GMs may have pulled the plug, especially with Kovalchuk being hurt.  All spilled milk now. 

What will be interesting to see in the Eastern Conference is how many of these teams really think they've got a shot.  You've got 13 out of 16 teams that are currently in the hunt.  How many of them are thinking "Why not us?", and will be hesitant to deal off pieces to get future assets?  That's why a guy like Stempniak is intriguing...if the market turns out to be slim pickins, there's a chance a guy like that gets a better return than anyone would expect.  I think unless the Devils are firmly in the playoff hunt, they still should be thinking about next season and beyond.   

so you truly don't remember people here saying we had to keep Jagr for a run?

Just now, SterioDesign said:

so you truly don't remember people here saying we had to keep Jagr for a run?

To be honest, not really, but I block out a lot of last season...the product under the three-headed monster took "painful to watch" to a whole higher level.  Why anyone would've wanted to hang onto Jagr, I have no idea...especially since Jagr clearly didn't want to be here anymore as his Devils career wound down. 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be honest, not really, but I block out a lot of last season...the product under the three-headed monster took "painful to watch" to a whole higher level.  Why anyone would've wanted to hang onto Jagr, I have no idea...especially since Jagr clearly didn't want to be here anymore as his Devils career wound down. 

I dont really want to talk about this again cause anyone will just go "ah there he goes again!" but it's not as much about where we were with Clarkson. It's about not meeting the players to know what he wanted for a new contract AT ALL. Waited after the season to have that talk and once he heard what Clarkson wanted he gave up on him within a few days knowing it was too much for him. 

I'd be fine knowing  they met and talked contract before deadline and he figured it was a good gamble to keep him. But Clarkson somehow had good value at that time after a 30 goals season and he was on pace for a good season that year too. We could have got something pretty decent. Really frustrating to see Lou waiting and giving him on him once he heard what he was looking for. That's not smart business and Elias confirmed that thats the way Lou was doing things and that he was frustrated by it too.

Edited by SterioDesign

Not getting into any Lou debates.  It's all been done and re-done and analyzed and re-analyzed. 

Just now, Triumph said:

The difficult thing with Stempniak is that NJ's RW depth past this season is Palmieri and nothing else.  If the offers aren't sufficient it's worth hanging on to him in an attempt to re-sign him - and he knows he'd get ice time here.

They could easily bring him back if they really wanted to.  He could be considered to be nothing more than a rental by his new team.  The ice time as a Devil would still there for him in 2016-17.

3 hours ago, roomtemp said:

I think that was the first game I've ever been where a period of hockey (other then a come from behind victory or some such exciting ending) got a standing ovation.

Definitely one of the few. Another one I can remember from sort of recent memory was Game 3, first home game of the 2nd Round of the 2012 Playoffs vs. Philly (might've been our first home game). Philly scored very early in the 1st. And then Elias and Kovalchuk scored a few minutes later within 20 seconds of each other. We proceeded to shellac them the rest of the period, and they got a huge standing ovation. The fans could sense that we were about to put our Flyers playoff curse to bed. We'd go on to win that game and the next 2 for the 4-1 series win, and completely dominate them.

10 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The difficult thing with Stempniak is that NJ's RW depth past this season is Palmieri and nothing else.  If the offers aren't sufficient it's worth hanging on to him in an attempt to re-sign him - and he knows he'd get ice time here.

True, but maybe in scenario 1 (where we keep him), he tests free agency (understandably so) and gets some relatively heft offers from around the league because of his numbers this season? In which case, we'd have to offer him 2-3 years to compete with those offers?

It's a double-edged sword with Stempniak, there's no easy answer, but all I can say is he's done a tremendous job for us this year.

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Too early to say what to do with Stempniak, or to say that the Devils are right in the middle of a playoff hunt (and most of the teams around them have a game or two in hand).  The trading deadline is over 5 weeks away.  A lot can happen between now and then.  I need to see where the Devils are on 2/28. 

The wild cards here are Blandisi and Boucher...can they actually start making consistent offensive contributions to this team in what will amount to fast-tracking?  Will Zajac go back into yet another offensive black hole?  We know the Achilles' heel has been...the only way the Devils will stop hovering around 3-5 games over NHL-.500 (without making deals) is to start getting more offense from what they already have in house.  It looks like the "Big Four" will probably continue to find ways to keep scoring goals at a strong rate, but they clearly can't do it by themselves...and as everyone knows, a big problem this season has been lack of other guys stepping up or finding the net. 

That's why I said "right now".  And yeah.  The biggest offensive problem this year imo has been the defense more than the bottom 6.  Because I felt that if the defense picked up their offensive game, the bottom 6 would start producing as well.  The past 4 or 5 games, we've seen a lot more scoring from guys other than the top 5 forwards.  It must continue.  I'd still feel more comfortable getting another good offensive defenseman though.  But I'm not bending over backwards to get him.

3 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Most teams when they build a big lead will tend to take the foot off the gas pedal. 

Exactly.  Which is why I felt the 2nd wasn't that bad despite the fact we got dominated possession wise.  I think they did what they had to do in order to absorb the Ottawa attack.  The 3rd period was awful though.  Penalties, irresponsible play, and just playing careless hockey burned the Devils in the 3rd.

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

Always thought it would be cool to trade a guy (like Stemp), get a return, then have him sign back on with us in the summer.  Has anyone done that in the league?  Is that Dirt McGirt?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.

It does happen, though not often.  If/when it does, the GM who traded for the guy is considered to have been taken to the cleaners, especially if said guy doesn't give his team a Cup, or anything else meaningful like a deep run into the playoffs at least.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I know there's been one two int eh past few years that were significant. 

16 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

That's why I said "right now".  And yeah.  The biggest offensive problem this year imo has been the defense more than the bottom 6.  Because I felt that if the defense picked up their offensive game, the bottom 6 would start producing as well.  The past 4 or 5 games, we've seen a lot more scoring from guys other than the top 5 forwards.  It must continue.  I'd still feel more comfortable getting another good offensive defenseman though.  But I'm not bending over backwards to get him.

You didn't say "right now" in the statement I quoted. 

14 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Anyway, it doesn't matter if the Devils are in the playoff hunt on 1/22...it will matter a lot more on 2/29.  Stempniak isn't getting traded in the immediate future anyway...there's no reason to do it until at or near deadline day (unless Shero gets what he considers to be a max-value offer earlier than that).

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

It does happen, though not often.  If/when it does, the GM who traded for the guy is considered to have been taken to the cleaners, especially if said guy doesn't give his team a Cup, or anything else meaningful like a deep run into the playoffs at least.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but I know there's been one two int eh past few years that were significant. 

Keith Tkachuk did it (from the Blues to the Thrashers, then back to the Blues).  Mark Recchi too (Pittsburgh to Carolina back to Pittsburgh).  Those are the only two I remember offhand.

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You didn't say "right now" in the statement I quoted. 

Anyway, it doesn't matter if the Devils are in the playoff hunt on 1/22...it will matter a lot more on 2/29.  Stempniak isn't getting traded in the immediate future anyway...there's no reason to do it until at or near deadline day (unless Shero gets what he considers to be a max-value offer earlier than that).

Keith Tkachuk did it (from the Blues to the Thrashers, then back to the Blues).  Mark Recchi too (Pittsburgh to Carolina back to Pittsburgh).  Those are the only two I remember offhand.

Yeah there you go, and those two are pretty much household names too. 

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Always thought it would be cool to trade a guy (like Stemp), get a return, then have him sign back on with us in the summer.  Has anyone done that in the league?  Is that Dirt McGirt?  I can't think of any off the top of my head.

It happened with the Coyotes last year. They did that with Vermette trading him to the Blackhawks where he helped them win a Cup. Then re-signed. I think the Devs should just wait it out to see where they are in a month. Tho I would lean toward trading Stempniak and getting what I can back.