The Marty Night thread

MadDog2020

Troll.. really?  some people are clueless...

I love Dano but he is a good player who is a good guy who was a lifer and the fans loved him...

The guy said you donot retire a number for that reason, I'm saying that is not true, and I have NO problem w/ Dano's #3 being retired...

Daneyko is a very unique situation.  I believe that he was the first player drafted by this organization here in NJ, he was loved by not only the fans, but also management, and he was like a son to the former owner.  Comparing his situation to anybody else is ridiculous, and you should know that.  

Elias is up there - no doubt at all for the retirement number.

I think he's an HOFer and if he played in another city - wouldn't really be an issue. Daniel Alfredsson's stats aren't that much better and Patrik's got two cups to his name. People will say Alfredsson is a shoe in, but not Patty? Patty not only was a huge offensive presence on a defensive team, he was a leader on the defensive side too.

That's ridiculous, the company who made them should have to replace it if it was their fault and if it was the Devils fault I would imagine the would buy a new one 

If the Devils never corrected the Niedermayer banner (with the wonky fonts and that god-awful "4" in 2004), they might not fix the Brodeur banner either.  At least the fonts are correct on the Brodeur banner.  Amazing how the last two have gotten screwed up though. 

If the Devils never corrected the Niedermayer banner (with the wonky fonts and that god-awful "4" in 2004), they might not fix the Brodeur banner either.  At least the fonts are correct on the Brodeur banner.  Amazing how the last two have gotten screwed up though. 

Could be the use of different vendors since the first two were probably created at the same time and then there was a gap of 5 years until Niedermayer and then another gap of 4+ years until Brodeur.  I hope they do fix them though as the OCD in me got annoyed at Nieds being wrong, but now Nieds and Brodeur being off will drive me crazy.

Yeah, at this point, just fix 'em both and be done with it.  It's funny, but now with Niedermayer AND Brodeur being off, it's like they each bring out the mistakes in the others that much more.  Would love to know what one of those banners actually costs. 

I'm curious to see if they moved all the banners back to how they were. I actually really liked the division and conference banners being above the bench. 

I really hope they only hang up one set of the retirement banners too. I know it's a small thing but I always thought it was stupid they had 2 sets across from each other 

Not sure if this warranted its own thread but Marty has a piece in the Players Tribune

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/martin-brodeur-devils-jersey-retirement/

"What I Was Born to Do"

If he had read that word-for-word as his speech on Tuesday, I think the building would've just about exploded with applause (not knocking the speech he made, just that this one has a little more insight into Marty the person).  Great stuff.

looks great - wondering if we can increase the size - the header that was up for marty that took up the entire top was really sharp. just an idea

one other thing - is it just me that looks at the order of the retirement banners in the image and sees them in reversed order. Now i know that they are ordered (L->R newest to oldest but I feel like it should actually be oldest to newest). maybe i'm just insane.

edit - now i'm really gonna be a prick. the font on the neidermayer and brodeur numbers are wrong in the image. now the "wrongness" of the neids banner matches the wrong font in real life (in the arena, it's correct in the practice rink). But the Marty # 3 is wrong.

Edited by sundstrom

• 2 weeks later...

Suffice it to say that he did an AMAZING job.  It doesn't look like some knockoff...it looks like something you would've rec'd at the game, if not BETTER.  The final result absolutely blew my mind.  I can't wait to get this up on my wall!

7 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Hi guys, I'm going to bump this topic. CR and I were talking about how disappointing it was that they didn't sell 8.5x11 photos like they had for the other 3 retirement ceremonies. I decided that since I was handy at photoshop, I'd just do one in a similar style. If you'd like the file to print out at home to add to your collection, I'm requesting that you make a donation to NJDevs via paypal on the stickied thread, and then send me a PM with your e-mail, and I'll shoot the file over to you. I've already sent it to ColoradoRockies. 

Go Devils!

That's an awesome gesture!  I'm sure it's fantastic. Thanks for doing this.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

On 2/28/2016 at 0:33 AM, Martyisth3b3st said:

Glad you liked it! 

thanks so much marty.  the picture looks amazing.  Same exact style as the other 3 (with the cup and banner).  also a great touch with the retirement logo in the bottom corner.  Also thanks for the advice on how to get this printed.  I will try to do so this week.  Like I said, I wish you worked for the devils this past year.  Awesome job!  thanks again.

on another note, anyone that still needs patches or just wants extra, they finally have them on e-bay now.  I found a couple of auctions which the seller has more than 10 at a very good price, and they also have them on that patchcollection website someone else shared on this board.  so plenty of patches available between e-bay and that site (of both versions)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Brodeur-Retirement-Jersey-Patch-New-Devils-Jersey-30-/222037331733?hash=item33b274cf15:g:qRMAAOSwDuJW01XB

Welcome to my wall Marty...you're next Patrik...

Again, hell of a job by MITB.  Photo says it all!

Cave 4.jpg