GDT: Devils @ Cryers

jagknife

Not a pretty game.  The Devils seemed a little rusty today.  Still they, got the job done.

• ALL SITUATIONS
  • Shots: 32-24 Flyers
  • Corsi: 55-54 Devils
  • Scoring Chances: 29-26 Devils
  • HD Scoring Chances: 18-10 Devils
  • 5 on 5
  • Shots: 21-16 Flyers
  • Corsi: 42-36 Devils
  • Scoring Chances: 18-14 Devils
  • HD Scoring Chances: 12-6 Devils

Just finished watching the game, my observations:

1) Ridiculous goal by Blandisi. Not only did he score through his legs, he had the balls to do that only a few weeks into his NHL career. What will he do after he's got the confidence of having a season under his belt?

2) We honestly gave a point away today. The Devils didn't look great, but neither did the Flyers. 

3) It's games like this one where, even with a victory, I'm reminded that no matter how much the team has been better than expectations, they just aren't going anywhere. Defense and a great goalie keep games close, but you need offense to get it done. And we just don't have it. Tootoo, Farnham, Gionta...you can afford to have one of these type of players, to have three, and to play them together, is an atrocity. Is Cammalleri coming back any time soon?

4) Schneider. Enough said. 

Just finished watching the game, my observations:

1) Ridiculous goal by Blandisi. Not only did he score through his legs, he had the balls to do that only a few weeks into his NHL career. What will he do after he's got the confidence of having a season under his belt?

2) We honestly gave a point away today. The Devils didn't look great, but neither did the Flyers. 

3) It's games like this one where, even with a victory, I'm reminded that no matter how much the team has been better than expectations, they just aren't going anywhere. Defense and a great goalie keep games close, but you need offense to get it done. And we just don't have it. Tootoo, Farnham, Gionta...you can afford to have one of these type of players, to have three, and to play them together, is an atrocity. Is Cammalleri coming back any time soon?

4) Schneider. Enough said. 

1) Yeah, Blandisi's been a lot of fun for sure.  He and Boucher (and Farnham there for a bit, due to shooting luck) have helped nicely with pitching in some goals here and there.

2) Meh, could make a case for either team deserving to win (or lose) in regulation.  Glad it was the Devils who came away with the two points.

3) This is a tough call...Schneider is having both a Vezina and Hart-worthy year (this team isn't anywhere near a playoff berth without him)...you'd love to see him get into the playoffs just to see what he could do.  But yeah, this team just doesn't look like it can score enough, and Schneider can only do so much.  I've really had it with Cammalleri...the guy is just too damned fragile to be counted on, and isn't getting any younger to boot.  It sucks when you need to rely on a guy like that, and unfortunately the Devils, as currently constructed, need to.  As much as I would love to see the Devils make it into the playoffs, it's really hard to see this team winning more than a game or two against Washington.  I still lean towards the Devils seeing what they can get for Stempniak and others.   

4) His .931 save% isn't quite what Hasek's save%s used to be, relative to everyone else (Hasek was the first guy putting up those .930+ save%s, and he was doing it when no one else was, similar to Roy being a .900+ save% guy back in the 80s when that was a big deal).  But Schneider has become the Devils' version of Hasek...a guy who doesn't have much to work with in front of him but makes his teams much better than they really have any right to be.  The Devils may be #1 overall in GAA, but that sure isn't because the Devils are some kind of lockdown defensive force. 

Looks like Palmieri is starting to come back to Earth a bit...3 goals and 3 assists in his last 17 GP (40 SOG...in his first 38 GP, he had 97 SOG, so he's been pretty consistent on that count).  His shooting% was due for some regression...even with a 7.5 shooting% over these 17 GP, he's still at 14.6 for the season. 

If anything, he might be a little less expensive to re-sign now (though he was never going to be a bank-breaker anyway). 

Looks like Palmieri is starting to come back to Earth a bit...3 goals and 3 assists in his last 17 GP (40 SOG...in his first 38 GP, he had 97 SOG, so he's been pretty consistent on that count).  His shooting% was due for some regression...even with a 7.5 shooting% over these 17 GP, he's still at 14.6 for the season. 

If anything, he might be a little less expensive to re-sign now (though he was never going to be a bank-breaker anyway). 

If you told me Palmieri would stop scoring and Camm would be hurt and not playing, I could not imagine the Devils would then go through one of their best winning stretches. 

If you told me Palmieri would stop scoring and Camm would be hurt and not playing, I could not imagine the Devils would then go through one of their best winning stretches. 

It's helped a lot that guys like Blandisi and Boucher are pitching in (not a ton in terms of pure goal scoring, but at least they've found the net here and there, and Blandisi is definitely entertaining).  It was the guys outside the Top 4 that weren't adding much for much of the season. 

Pretty amazing that the Devils have gone 3-2-2 in their last seven despite scoring just 12 goals (also allowing 12 in those games when eliminating phantom shootout goals).  That 3-2-2 could've even have been a little better if this team could ever win a shootout.  Also amazing that these Devils are 7-2-2 in their last 11, despite getting outshot in all but one of those games (342-264 overall).  Not like this team is suppressing shots. 

All season, so much has pointed to this team falling off a cliff...and somehow (well, mostly due to top-level goaltending) it keeps not happening...every time that it seems like it's going to, they back off the abyss and manage to put together enough points to stay relevant.