2016 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I'd prefer not to get another receiver this early unless that's where the value is, they have other more pressing needs...offensive line for starters, maybe they even pick a Cook/Hackenberg here.

Yea, Cook or Hackenberg would be an ok choice. I mean it would be a worthwhile investment into a potential QB of the future since they don't seem to believe much in Petty and Geno has no hope.

Nothing about Cook or Hack screams star to me. Cook is an inconsistent gambler who is a Sanchez type. Hackenberg I think will be terrible so yea...we'll probably draft him.

Edited by '7'

This is a terrible pick. And I knew it would be it when Pennington walked out. Reminds me of Chrebet making the Geno pick

Just not going to happen with this guy. We had other needs in other places.

The Jets were rumored to be hot on Hackenberg after souring on Lynch.

I can see why you'd do it but geez three straight years investing a 2, a 2 and a 4?  Maccagnan's going to the Ron Wolf school of just stockpiling QB's, hope he's 80% as smart as Wolf.

I'm not a huge Hackenberg fan but I can see it from the aspect that Maccagnan or some of his staff I'm sure at least talked to Bill O'Brien about Hackenberg when their paths crossed his last year there.  What I like is that they ran up to the stage with the pick, no dilly-dallying.  They were sure.  Hope they're right.

28 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I can see why you'd do it but geez three straight years investing a 2, a 2 and a 4?  Maccagnan's going to the Ron Wolf school of just stockpiling QB's, hope he's 80% as smart as Wolf.

I'm not a huge Hackenberg fan but I can see it from the aspect that Maccagnan or some of his staff I'm sure at least talked to Bill O'Brien about Hackenberg when their paths crossed his last year there.  What I like is that they ran up to the stage with the pick, no dilly-dallying.  They were sure.  Hope they're right.

The Geno pick is still baffling. Everybody said he wouldn't be a good NFL QB, he was a system player, he couldn't read defenses and had poor instincts(and wasn't even experienced lining up under center). None of that was ironed out. The pick in 2013 was Robert Woods who would've filled a need for us. Woods has been pretty good. Not a world beater but I'd rather have him now over Geno (who I suppose will be cut soon) I still think we'll re sign Fitz.

Nothing about Hackenberg is special or impressive. Heck he would probably still be there in round 3. We could've gone CB, WR, OT, DE, heck even RB here. But no...gotta take a longshot QB.

Edited by '7'

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

FWIW here's the Gruden QB camp show with Hackenberg, if nothing else it's informative about his pluses and what negatively happened with his fundamentals in college:

This is a neat little feature...give me a bit of hope.

Also supposedly the QB class next year is not so good so...the Jets essentially thought that 2016 with Hack was their best opportunity to get a legit young QB of the future. Not overly hopeful but we'll see how it works out. Prophetic how he mentions the Jet Sweep

Jets drafted CB Juston Burris in the 4th, as the buildup of the D continues and we continue to neglect Offensive Line as well as any skill players (WR, RB) This is such a WR driven league...the Giants got someone in Sterling Shepard who's going to be tremendous. The Pats got Malcolm Mitchell. The Dophins got the Rutgers receiver (forget his name)

Well offensive skill position wasn't an immediate need with Marshall/Decker/last year's second rounder Devin Smith at WR and the three-headed RB (Forte, Powell, Khiry Robinson).  I would have liked to address the offensive line but they could use a CB too with Cro gone and probably Revis another year or two away from his next holdout.  I do at least trust Bowles with defensive picks so we'll see.

Edited by NJDevs4978

FWIW here's the Gruden QB camp show with Hackenberg, if nothing else it's informative about his pluses and what negatively happened with his fundamentals in college:

This is a neat little feature...give me a bit of hope.

Also supposedly the QB class next year is not so good so...the Jets essentially thought that 2016 with Hack was their best opportunity to get a legit young QB of the future. Not overly hopeful but we'll see how it works out. Prophetic how he mentions the Jet Sweep

Jets drafted CB Juston Burris in the 4th, as the buildup of the D continues and we continue to neglect Offensive Line as well as any skill players (WR, RB) This is such a WR driven league...the Giants got someone in Sterling Shepard who's going to be tremendous. The Pats got Malcolm Mitchell. The Dophins got the Rutgers receiver (forget his name)

Leonte Carroo. Pumped about that pick.

Actually like the fact we got a punter in round 7. We've had sh!tty punters for forever seemingly and with our defense, an above average punter can be a nice little weapon to utilize in the field position game.

5 hours ago, '7' said:

Actually like the fact we got a punter in round 7. We've had sh!tty punters for forever seemingly and with our defense, an above average punter can be a nice little weapon to utilize in the field position game.

I even think the WR they got in round 7 could be a steal.  I wonder why they didn't pick the Clemson WR first before the punter, that could have backfired lol

• 2 months later...

The guy's got 30 sacks over his last 46 games.. all with the Jets. He's a jersey boy, who wanted to stay here. He's good person off the field. He's 26 years old. THIS WAS WAY OVERDUE! About damn time! VERY pumped to see Mo here till 2021. :D

What a sweet and pleasant surprise this was. And major kudos to Maccagnan for getting this done quietly behind the scenes (was shocked there were no leaks, then BOOM he signs)

I was already sort of ready for him to walk and then end up in New England or with Rex (if Rex is even still there) but I think he's going to retire and enter the Hall of Fame as a career Jet. 

• 2 weeks later...

It was the only thing the Jets could do at this point. Still not entirely sold on Fitz being a QB that can take a team deep into the playoffs, but.. I guess we'll see what happens this season.

I'd also like to see us sign another veteran WR to help mentor the rookies, and give us a little more flexibility\depth. Brian Hartline, Roddy White, Devin Hester and Andre Johnson are all some names still available on the scrap-heap that I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on. There's literally nobody after Deck & Marsh. As much as I like Enunwa, it sounds like they're converting him to more of a TE from everything I've been reading.

The Fitz negotiations were the definition of compromise, and this feels a lot like the less expensive version of the Kirk Cousins Franchise Tag.  "You want big money and multiple years?  OK, repeat last year's performance and then we'll talk."  I can't see Fitz not putting up similar numbers unless Clady drops and Fitz gets consistently murdered from the left side.

As to receivers, if you're looking for upside White is probably your man - if you want durability, probably Hartline.  Both can play in the slot if it comes to that, but White probably will not stay healthy for 16+ games..

On 7/28/2016 at 9:17 AM, Beezer34 said:

It was the only thing the Jets could do at this point. Still not entirely sold on Fitz being a QB that can take a team deep into the playoffs, but.. I guess we'll see what happens this season.

I'd also like to see us sign another veteran WR to help mentor the rookies, and give us a little more flexibility\depth. Brian Hartline, Roddy White, Devin Hester and Andre Johnson are all some names still available on the scrap-heap that I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on. There's literally nobody after Deck & Marsh. As much as I like Enunwa, it sounds like they're converting him to more of a TE from everything I've been reading.

I'm not sold on him either, he's never been there and he'll be 34 this season. Yea he's been at the helm of some bad clubs, but he hasn't exactly dragged those clubs across the finish line with his superior play either. In his defense he's also had to deal with some dysfunctional and inconsistent franchises. Last year, and this year of the post Rex/Tanny/Idzik era is probably the most functional/stable franchise he's ever been with. And the most talented team he's ever started for as well.

Yea that's one thing the Jets have done a poor job of the past several years. WR depth in a WR driven league. I'm always screaming at them in the middle rounds to pick up a receiver. I would've so wanted a WR in the 2nd instead of Hackenberg. But hey...supposedly Hack is the future but we'll see. 

I really wanted Robert Woods instead of Geno. Woods would be here right now as a solidly entrenched #3. Could've had Terrance Williams over Brian Winters, Kenny Stills over Oday Aboushi.

Awful WR scouting. Or just plain undervaluing the position

On 7/31/2016 at 11:08 AM, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

The Fitz negotiations were the definition of compromise, and this feels a lot like the less expensive version of the Kirk Cousins Franchise Tag.  "You want big money and multiple years?  OK, repeat last year's performance and then we'll talk."  I can't see Fitz not putting up similar numbers unless Clady drops and Fitz gets consistently murdered from the left side.

As to receivers, if you're looking for upside White is probably your man - if you want durability, probably Hartline.  Both can play in the slot if it comes to that, but White probably will not stay healthy for 16+ games..

He definitely can slip...our schedule is tougher this year. Also our team was relatively healthy last year and that may not be the case this year.

If the Jets slip to something like 7-9 or 8-8, then they may just let Fitz walk, tank in 2017, then start fresh in 2018 with Hackenberg as the supposed QB of the future. He'd have 2 years of learning under his belt by then. 

You look at guys like Marshall/Decker/Forte/Revis/David Harris/Mangold. These are win now players.

Some interesting quotes from Brett the Jet during Hall of Fame weekend about the Jets season..

"Well, I threw six touchdowns in one game. Yippee! That was the only time I ever did it. But seriously, I’ll say this -- and I’m not an excuse guy -- but before I tore my bicep I was playing pretty good and we were 9-3 and not even hitting on all cylinders. I thought there was tremendous upside. I think our last good game was against New England on a Thursday night in New England.. which we won, and I played really well. It all went downhill from there as my bicep got progressively worse, which ultimately ended up in surgery. I would have really liked to have seen how it ended up, had I not had a torn bicep. At one point I wanted to remove myself from playing completely, because I’d throw it over there, and it would end up over there. I just felt like the value of what a quarterback does -- there’s a higher value to that, because you handle the ball every time.. and I felt like I was doing more harm than good. When I look at that year, that’s my regret. That maybe I didn’t just remove myself from it all together. I mentioned that to [head coach] Eric Mangini and [offensive coordinator] Brian Schottenheimer. I don’t know if they realized the magnitude of my injury. I just hate knowing and thinking how much of those losses were the result of my lack of being able to make plays. That’s what I think about when I look at that season. What could have been."  --Brett Favre

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/209012/brett-favre-reflects-on-season-with-jets-what-could-have-been

The Jets really had zilch behind Favre in 2008. Even injured he was better than Clemens. Still it figures his only real debilitating injury came as a Jet.

Mangini did a bad job with that team in particular. 2006 was such a promising year. Mangini regressed so much as HC.

There was some sort of miscommunication. Either Brett didnt forcibly demonstrate how hurt he was, or did and Mangini/Schotty disregarded the hints and just nudged him to keep going. Everyone dropped the ball on that one.

If Favre is a Jet in 2009 however...I believe we would be in the Super Bowl that year. 

Edited by '7'

Loving what I saw from Jalin Marshall on that return. Burning speed and he runs with power and conviction. Not a featherweight either. The kid is solid.

Charone Peake nice catch for the TD. Controlled the ball, his body, got the feet down. That is an elite receiver catch.

And even Geno (who looked terrible until 3 minutes ago) fits a great pass into a tight window.

• 2 weeks later...

The real competition going on at Jets camp is Petty vs Smith for the #2 job. Geno has been up and down. Up vs the Jags but down vs the Skins. Petty was competent vs the Jags and looked like a legit pro vs the Skins. I know it was backups but, he had the poise, accuracy, footwork...he can make any NFL throw, he goes through his progressions well, can fit the ball into tight windows. It seems like Petty made a pretty big jump this offseason while Geno just remained...Geno. 

I think the Jets may end up cutting Geno and Petty will officially be the #2. Then they can keep Hack as the #3 and not carry 4qb's. Plus Geno was not drafted by this regime. They did give him a fair shake though from the beginning and he's done nothing but bungle it. Not that he's gotten into trouble since the IK punch, but he hasn't actually improved as a QB while Bryce has.

If he keeps improving it will definitely be Petty in 2017 as our starter. I doubt they'll go through the same endless posturing with what will then be a 34 year old Fitzpatrick (and his eroding arm strength is a concern) If Petty works out then there's your QB. If he doesn't...well then you have the Hackenberg era start in 2018 as you planned all along.

Edited by '7'