2016 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Some preseason concerns...drops. Still too many of them. They were a bit of a problem last year too. Fitz throws a catchable ball too so there is really no excuse for it.

I understand the D played vanilla vs Washington but you can't have a team basically chew up an entire quarter with an at will seemingly 97 play drive. Even if it did end in a Revis INT

I don't like how even though we had very good tight coverage on a lot of big Washington passing plays, we failed to make good plays on the ball. Jet CB's were right there and yet the ball was still caught. I suppose it's better than being burned outright but please, get a hand on it!

Matt Forte. Would like to see him in at least some pre season action before the regular season, but I agree on babying him and bringing him back from injury slowly. It's not his first rodeo. I think he'll be fine but I would just like to see what he plays like in our offense

I want to see something out of our TE's this year. Sudfeld and Amaro both had catches last week, though Amaro had some weak drops. Sudfeld caught a TD. After only 8 catches combined out of TE's last year, these two need to team up and catch at least 40 or so. I once thought Amaro would be a pass catching star in this league but the drops look like they still linger. Coming back from a full year off may be tough and it may be a while before we see his full potential. This is really just another rookie year for him since year 1 was a dumpster fire year with Geno throwing to him.

I think we'll be great with a 3rd receiving option. Jalin Marshall I think has great talent but is going through your typical high's and lows. Robby Anderson out of nowhere last week with a huge effort. Charone Peake continues to look good. I love how after Decker/Marshall you still see guys who look like legit NFL talents size wise, ability wise, speed wise. This is not Greg Salas or Clyde Gates scrap heap types

Edited by '7'

I'm concerned about the 1st team offense, but.. I'm willing to wait until some more of our starters (Mangold, Breno, Forte, etc) start playing. Even Enunwa really, he was only out there for one series, and then he left. We should get a very REAL understanding of where this offense is on Saturday for the Giants game, when I anticipate many starters will play into the 4th quarter. I really like that Anderson kid. Some of the best WR gem you find go undrafted. (just ask Victor Cruz) I'd like to see him play a series or two with the one's this week, to see the kid go up against an NFL secondary.

Some other observations..

• Leonard Williams. My God! This kid looks like he's ready to swallow QB's whole. I know it's only preseason.. but: 2 sacks, playing MAYBE 4 minutes of football over the last 2 weeks. This kid could be special. I love what I'm seeing.
  • Bryce Petty. Now THIS is the kid we saw in Baylor two years ago! He's poised to take the #2 spot away from Geno with a good showing against the Giants on Saturday. At 24 years of age.. he still has a very high upside. Sit him on the bench to watch\study Fitz for another year, and then revisit his development in 2017. Good stuff so far.
  • The TE's. This needs to be solved ASAP. They're abysmal.. ALL OF THEM! Sudfeld can catch, but he's mentally weak. Davis can't catch or block.. and Amaro belongs on the Argonauts. Meanwhile I'm hearing what a great camp\preseason Cumberland is having for the Chargers. Be it a trade.. a waiver claim when someone when someone else gets cut.. or signing Kellen Winslow himself.. Maccagnan NEEDS to have this resolved by Week 1.
  • Dee Milliner. Left the game because of some biceps injury. I can't anymore with this fvcking guy.. I really can't. 9th overall pick.. a Unanimous All-American.. 2x National Champion. Wtf happened with this dude?! Here's a player who's had the benefit alongside veterans like: Ed Reed, Revis, Cromartie, Landry, etc.. and has been coached by some of the better defensive minds in Rex & Bowles.. and yet, he NEVER FVCKIN' TURNED THE CORNER! (pun intended) I still wouldn't be shocked if the Jets call back Cro after Week 2, assuming the secondary becomes an issue.

On 8/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, Beezer34 said:

I'm concerned about the 1st team offense, but.. I'm willing to wait until some more of our starters (Mangold, Breno, Forte, etc) start playing. Even Enunwa really, he was only out there for one series, and then he left. We should get a very REAL understanding of where this offense is on Saturday for the Giants game, when I anticipate many starters will play into the 4th quarter. I really like that Anderson kid. Some of the best WR gem you find go undrafted. (just ask Victor Cruz) I'd like to see him play a series or two with the one's this week, to see the kid go up against an NFL secondary.

Some other observations..

• Leonard Williams. My God! This kid looks like he's ready to swallow QB's whole. I know it's only preseason.. but: 2 sacks, playing MAYBE 4 minutes of football over the last 2 weeks. This kid could be special. I love what I'm seeing.
  • Bryce Petty. Now THIS is the kid we saw in Baylor two years ago! He's poised to take the #2 spot away from Geno with a good showing against the Giants on Saturday. At 24 years of age.. he still has a very high upside. Sit him on the bench to watch\study Fitz for another year, and then revisit his development in 2017. Good stuff so far.
  • The TE's. This needs to be solved ASAP. They're abysmal.. ALL OF THEM! Sudfeld can catch, but he's mentally weak. Davis can't catch or block.. and Amaro belongs on the Argonauts. Meanwhile I'm hearing what a great camp\preseason Cumberland is having for the Chargers. Be it a trade.. a waiver claim when someone when someone else gets cut.. or signing Kellen Winslow himself.. Maccagnan NEEDS to have this resolved by Week 1.
  • Dee Milliner. Left the game because of some biceps injury. I can't anymore with this fvcking guy.. I really can't. 9th overall pick.. a Unanimous All-American.. 2x National Champion. Wtf happened with this dude?! Here's a player who's had the benefit alongside veterans like: Ed Reed, Revis, Cromartie, Landry, etc.. and has been coached by some of the better defensive minds in Rex & Bowles.. and yet, he NEVER FVCKIN' TURNED THE CORNER! (pun intended) I still wouldn't be shocked if the Jets call back Cro after Week 2, assuming the secondary becomes an issue.

I'm a bit concerned as well. Forte finally got his feet wet in the pre season which was good to see. Brandon Marshall has a balky hit. When you see Hack and Petty in action Fitzpatrick's lack of arms strength becomes readily apparent.

I pretty much lost any interest in tonight's game after Petty's injury and it seems like Hackenberg's definitely not ready for NFL football judging by the statline.  Ironically it probably gives them an out for keeping four QB's if they want to stash Petty on IR 1980's style, but that would also mean Geno's definitely around for this year :P  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Though I think Geno was already pretty much the #2 before Petty's injury. And of course he was absolutely brutalized on that play...no flag. Reminds me of when Sanchez used to get speared helmet to helmet and we seemingly never got the personal fouls that that Manning/ Bradys of the world got.

Hackenberg they never wanted to expose this early on as much as they did yesterday...but he also looked downright terrible at times. Big big project.

Hackenberg they probably couldve taken in round 5 or 6. Geno...everybody knew was terrible. I still cant believe we wasted 2nd rounders on them.

Edited by '7'

59 minutes ago, '7' said:

Sanchez to Dallas. Someone is always going to give him a shot...

Considering the other options out there and the absurd price Minnesota paid for a mid-level Sam Bradford, this was really the best they were gonna do

Considering the other options out there and the absurd price Minnesota paid for a mid-level Sam Bradford, this was really the best they were gonna do

I do agree there just aren't that many good backup QB these days believe me I know my teams backup is a complete and utter disaster if you can find a QB to just help you break even that's about all one can expect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, LOTCB said:

I do agree there just aren't that many good backup QB these days believe me I know my teams backup is a complete and utter disaster if you can find a QB to just help you break even that's about all one can expect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what Geno and Manual are...run or the mill backups. Your teams backup isnt a starter but...not many people ever projected him to be a starter either (much like Geno) they both settled into their roles and will never advance from there.

Bradford and Sanchez have at least shown something at the NFL level.

It was actually a broken leg for Khiry Robinson. Sucks to see as he was supposed to be the 3rd head in our 3 man RB by committee this season. The Jets have gone ahead and replaced him by signing Troymaine Pope from Seattle who I know next to nothing about.

I just felt this was a loss as soon as that Folk fg was blocked, and Folk gets kicks blocked every year because he drives them so low. Of course he had to shank an xp as well.

Fitz looked a bit out of sorts early but looked better later on. Naturally plagued by some drops. That Marshall drop at midfield very late in the game was unforgivable.

Revis just cant be left 1 on 1 with anyone anymore. This was the worst game of his career and was abused on a historic level. It was sad to see. 

Forte looked good. Enunwa looked really good. Jets just shot themselves in the foot over and over.

I knew our secondary wouldnt be elite but not this bad.

Edited by '7'

I wouldn't be so quick to count us out vs Buffalo. I think the Jets will be angry and ready for revenge. The Bills are going to be a disaster this year, and we outplayed them in both losses last season and botched those games in fluky fashion. Sure Buffalo matches up against us better than expected but other than difficulties with Watkins we really should be well equipped to stop Buffalo in every respect. Also they just lost an offensive tackle (Cordy Glenn) while we'll be adding Sheldon Richardson to an already terrorizing defensive line yesterday that had 7 sacks yesterday.

Can things go wrong again? Can Tyrod Taylor slip out of a bunch of sacks and pick up chunks of yards? Can Watkins catch 10 for 160? Can we go 0 for 10 inside the 5 yard line again and lose 17-16 with a bunch of Fitz int's and a blocked FG or something...sure. I just feel the Jets are going to go in their angry and assert themselves. I feel strangely confident about this game. And I can't see Revis looking THIS BAD two consecutive games.

Count me in as someone who think Buffalo is not going to be very good this year.  To me Rex Ryan has become the (former) young stud hitter who looked like a hell of a prospect when he was 23 or so, and did some nice things when he was first called up, but now has people thinking "This guy really hasn't been anything special now in a while, and he's already 30 years old...maybe he's just not what we thought he'd be."  For many years, I thought Rex had it in him to become a good head coach, but I'm finally not really believing that anymore.  I know the Jets have the same "Kick our fans squarely in the balls" curse that also afflicts the Mets, but I get the feeling they win this game. 

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Count me in as someone who think Buffalo is not going to be very good this year.  To me Rex Ryan has become the (former) young stud hitter who looked like a hell of a prospect when he was 23 or so, and did some nice things when he was first called up, but now has people thinking "This guy really hasn't been anything special now in a while, and he's already 30 years old...maybe he's just not what we thought he'd be."  For many years, I thought Rex had it in him to become a good head coach, but I'm finally not really believing that anymore.  I know the Jets have the same "Kick our fans squarely in the balls" curse that also afflicts the Mets, but I get the feeling they win this game. 

Rex still finds a way to motivate his troops, guys still get amped playing him and generally still love him. As someone who's observed him closely it seems that despite the brashness and all that...he seems like a guy who's just been beaten down too much over the years and I don't think he even believes half of what he says anymore. The years of no playoff irrelevancy is getting to him. He's 12-21 over his past 33 games as a coach. It shows. Also I think Rex loves the spotlight and bigtime football. He loved it in Baltimore going against the Steelers. He loved it here where folks were hanging on his every word. Now he's been booted to the NFL's nether regions in Buffalo. He's not getting the league-wide attention that his enormous ego craves. He's fading in relevancy and it's bothering him.

If the Jets don't win this game however...I feel as though their season might spiral out of control and they'll end up being an otherwise talented bunch who end up 5-11 or 6-10.

0-2 can turn into 0-5 or 0-6 very quickly.

Edited by '7'

37 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I actually thought the Ravens would destroy the Bills yesterday, they're better by a wide margin and own him as much as he owns Fitzpatrick. As it was they did just enough to lose and Watkins having ANOTHER foot injury could be an issue for them offensively.

Unfortunately I don't see any reason why Fitz won't have another 14-30 150 yard 1 TD and 2 INT game, Fitz has never been able to handle Rex's system. If the Bills went 2-14 I'd still think the two come against us and Fitz. If we do win Thursday it'll probably be a sloppy ass 17-16 game.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mehta says Watkins could be shut down for several weeks. That would bode really well for the Jets if he can't go on TNF or isn't close to 100% ((don't forget it's a short week as well and Schefter said he wasn't 100% just prior to yesterday's game). Buffalo was thoroughly stale vs Baltimore and are pretty banged up in general. If you contain McCoy (and Tyrod running), Jets should be able to win.