2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

18 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Looked fine to me in real time, but when you slow it down.. Hit looks pretty damn late.

Not only was it late, but it looks like a clear elbow to the head.  3 games seems just to me, considering this is the playoffs, but it still makes no sense that Letang got nothing for swinging his stick.

League should have handed down one for the playoffs and two to begin the season. I agree with the suspension, but this puts the Caps at an unfair disadvantage.

Maata's out too, and he may not be back in the series. Pittsburgh was put at an unfair disadvantage losing one of their top 4 d-men, so that doesn't really hold water AFAIC.

4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Maata's out too, and he may not be back in the series. Pittsburgh was put at an unfair disadvantage losing one of their top 4 d-men, so that doesn't really hold water AFAIC.

True, but I think  the league still should have done 1 game plus more games to begin the season. While it was late, I don't think Orpik did it with any malicious intent. I do somewhat agree with Trotz' assertion that the league is showing their bias. With 3 of the 4 "big ratings draw" teams gone, is the league concerned  that their ratings will be hurt if Pittsburgh is eliminated? It's certainly within the realm of possibility.

1 hour ago, CarpathianForest said:

True, but I think  the league still should have done 1 game plus more games to begin the season. While it was late, I don't think Orpik did it with any malicious intent. I do somewhat agree with Trotz' assertion that the league is showing their bias. With 3 of the 4 "big ratings draw" teams gone, is the league concerned  that their ratings will be hurt if Pittsburgh is eliminated? It's certainly within the realm of possibility.

Even validating conspiracies, Washington's metro is quadruple the size of Pittsburgh's, and the Caps have much more casual fan exposure this year, as they tore through the NHL like a rock through a wet paper towel in the regular season, and have at least equivalent star power to Pittsburgh. I think a media bias exists to some extent, but everyone in the NHL offices with a quarter of a brain understands ratings will be incredibly more affected by attempting to manipulate the outcome of a playoff match-up than by a perceivably less desirable team advancing.

So let's put on our rational hats and understand that Orpiks put someone's career and long term health at risk with a hit like that.

Speaking on the series itself, I know the hockey world will erupt if Washington doesn't win this series, but I don't think it would be the worst thing if they lost to this Penguins team (as long as they don't take a 3-1 lead in the process). Pittsburgh sneakily had a really good year. That team is coming together.

Even validating conspiracies, Washington's metro is quadruple the size of Pittsburgh's, and the Caps have much more casual fan exposure this year, as they tore through the NHL like a rock through a wet paper towel in the regular season, and have at least equivalent star power to Pittsburgh. I think a media bias exists to some extent, but everyone in the NHL offices with a quarter of a brain understands ratings will be incredibly more affected by attempting to manipulate the outcome of a playoff match-up than by a perceivably less desirable team advancing.

So let's put on our rational hats and understand that Orpiks put someone's career and long term health at risk with a hit like that.

Speaking on the series itself, I know the hockey world will erupt if Washington doesn't win this series, but I don't think it would be the worst thing if they lost to this Penguins team (as long as they don't take a 3-1 lead in the process). Pittsburgh sneakily had a really good year. That team is coming together.

I agree on Pittsburgh, they look like a legit Cup contender right now. I think we're headed for a Pittsburgh-SJ Final.

The Pens winning the cup is completely awful. This will give the NHL legitimacy in thinking they only have to cater to 4 teams. Outside of the Bruins, you're basically looking at 3 teams winning the cup in the last 7 years. I don't know about anyone else but I'm hoping for a bit more diversity in the Stanley Cup finals.

I know I sound a bit "tin foil hat", but Don Cherry isn't the only old-guard Canadian who hates Russians. I'm sure there are plenty of old hockey guys who would rather die then see a "Russkie" Captain raise Lord Stanley. Need I remind you most of these guys think there was nothing wrong with Bobby Clarke purposefully breaking Valeri Kharlamov's ankle in the Summit Series.

47 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

The Pens winning the cup is completely awful. This will give the NHL legitimacy in thinking they only have to cater to 4 teams. Outside of the Bruins, you're basically looking at 3 teams winning the cup in the last 7 years. I don't know about anyone else but I'm hoping for a bit more diversity in the Stanley Cup finals.

Agreed, if they win, we'll keep seeing them all the freaking time in the Winter Classic or whatever outdoor game. Cannot stand that freaking team.

Agreed, if they win, we'll keep seeing them all the freaking time in the Winter Classic or whatever outdoor game. Cannot stand that freaking team.

You'll see them whether they win or not lol. They last won the Cup 7 years ago and they still get shoved down everyone's throat at every turn.

17 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

If they win I think the league needs to examine if "parity" is actually there. NMCs, NTCs and the lot are clear circumvention in my opinion.

I tried responding to this last night, but it must not have gone through. You are really on some kind of kick right now, first with the League conspiracies and now this. Parity isn't a league regulation, it's just something they hoped they'd shift towards organically with the salary cap. It isn't something that can be circumvented. Teams are allowed to be good, at least I think. I haven't read most of the CBA. Some teams can still spend more than others, draft better than others, trade better than others, and use raw talent better than others. That isn't prohibited yet.

Who would want to watch sports with complete parity, anyway? In that case, why bother with the regular season? Why don't we just rotate which team gets to celebrate with the cup every year and just not play the games at all? Sports history is defined by great teams. In the future, I'm going to look back and remember these great Chicago, LA, and Pittsburgh teams, and admire how dominant they were, just like we do with the Oilers and Canadiens and Islanders and Bulls and Yankees and Celtics of previous eras. Without great teams, there are no giants to topple. Without great teams, there is no Miracle on Ice, no 06 Oilers, no 96 Panthers. There's no 2014 UConn basketball story, no Miracle Mets, no Boise State, no Leicester City. I do not want to watch sports in your world. If teams can't be great, what's all the work for? One championship every 30 years? Great teams and great players deserve better.