2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Maybe it's because I'm in the area, but I can tell you, at least here in Tampa, there is a huge buzz around the playoffs and the team.  I always get a laugh when people talk about smaller markets being in the playoffs and the Finals -- today I heard people say an SJ/TB final would be terrible for the league and wouldn't garner interest or attention.  For starters, that's pretty inaccurate as I think the smaller markets and teams like SJ who have never been there before will actually draw more attention, because that in and of itself is a story.  It's not quite Cinderella, but it definitely has a backstory with some veterans like Marleau and Thornton who have never won a cup and are nearing the end of their careers.

On top of that, it's always funny and ridiculous to hear people say "No one outside of SJ gives a sh!t about the Sharks", or "No one outside of TB cares about the Lightning" -- yeah, no sh!t!  Newsflash for you, pretty much no one outside of NY cares about the Rangers, pretty much no one outside of Boston cares about the Bruins, etc.  Honestly, there are transplants all over the country, so you're always going to have pockets of different fans in random areas, but really the only team that probably has any significant impact or reach anywhere outside of their own local state/metro area is probably the Yankees, and that's really because they're more of a brand than anything else nowadays.  Guys wear their hats and jerseys in music videos (ok I'm dating myself, maybe that was years ago, but the point remains).  That's about it.  And even then they're not "fans" of the team, they just sport the gear because it's cool and a fashion statement. 

No matters who's in the finals this year, it should be a good one, because of the product on the ice. 

Side note - how the hell are so  many people pulling for DeBoer here?   Don't get me wrong, I'm not NOT supporting him -- I'm indifferent.  He's not the Devils coach so I don't care if he wins or loses in the Cup finals, but.... where the hell are all of the people here who were slamming him and aggravated with some of the decisions he made, particularly about the lineup and calling guys up or sending guys down?

Side note - how the hell are so  many people pulling for DeBoer here?   Don't get me wrong, I'm not NOT supporting him -- I'm indifferent.  He's not the Devils coach so I don't care if he wins or loses in the Cup finals, but.... where the hell are all of the people here who were slamming him and aggravated with some of the decisions he made, particularly about the lineup and calling guys up or sending guys down?

I'm pulling for DeBoer because I like him as a coach. If Parise and Kovalchuck never leave, Pete's still the coach here. Did I get aggravated with some of his decisions? Of course. But I also tried to keep in mind that he was trying his best to play a bad hand after that first year. He's obviously not the coach you want if you have a young team, but he's a very good coach for a veteran team. SJ couldn't get over the top until he showed up. I don't think that's a coincidence.

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm pulling for DeBoer because I like him as a coach. If Parise and Kovalchuck never leave, Pete's still the coach here. Did I get aggravated with some of his decisions? Of course. But I also tried to keep in mind that he was trying his best to play a bad hand after that first year. He's obviously not the coach you want if you have a young team, but he's a very good coach for a veteran team. SJ couldn't get over the top until he showed up. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Meh, that might be true, but every dog has his day.  I'm still not convinced they're going to win, whether it's against Pit or TB.  People seem to be clinging to some sort of destiny with them, and sure it would be a nice story, I personally, with no affiliation to the Sharks at all, have always thought Marleau was a great player, but after watching both of the series fairly closely, when you compare SJ/STL to TB/PIT, it's almost like it's in slow motion.  People regularly underestimate the East and always say the West is better and more skillful than the East (rarely do I agree with that on any occasion), but particularly this year, I think it's possibly the opposite.  I think there were some dark horse teams that flew under the radar, until now. 

5 hours ago, sundstrom said:

my only real gripe w/ deboer was how he handled larsson and gave vets a ridiculously long leash. but the team he was given was on lou, plain and simple.

I suppose that's fair.

Joe Pavelski is my favorite non-Devils player so I'm rooting for the Sharks. Seeing Joe Thornton and Marleau finally get there is nice too. I always liked Paul Martin as a Devil, hated he went to Pittsburgh though. I'll always respect Pete for going after Torts but I'm indifferent about him otherwise. 

Met Pete a few times, one of the nicest people you can meet. I really liked him as our coach, I was actually the only one on here who wanted Lou to get him in the 2011 offseason. Obviously it went down hill when we had to start retooling but he is a good coach when you have the horses. He pushes the right buttons when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've wondered the same thing about everyone pulling for DeBoer. Like someone else said, I liked that he went after Torts, but I'm indifferent about him mostly. I wasn't his biggest supporter, but I wasn't calling for his head. I'm not usually this petty, but I don't think we need another coach we fired winning a cup somewhere else.

Vasilevski is good. I'm not sure how many more saves he's going to pull out of his ass, but I'm also not sure how much longer Pittsburgh can dominate this game.