Devils looking to add offense in the offseason

mfitz804

RNH & Fayne (bad contract) for Severson. That would probably work for Edmonton - it allows them to go hard at Lucic which they're trying to do.

Devils will have to find an RD though. You wonder if they could do Shattenkirk for next year's 1st (which I'm not happy about, but would do if they got RNH as I think with both of them in tow, the Devils would not be a doormat team).

17 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Moving Severson is really something I have no interest in doing... At all.

you have to give to get. i too have a high opinion of severson, but he certainly took a step back this year. he's far from untouchable in the right deal. there are moves that could be made - again, if the devils are willing to trade next year's #1 for shattenkirk (which i think the blues do) and get him signed long term, then severson is certainly expendable.

Moving Severson is really something I have no interest in doing... At all.

you have to give to get. i too have a high opinion of severson, but he certainly took a step back this year. he's far from untouchable in the right deal. there are moves that could be made - again, if the devils are willing to trade next year's #1 for shattenkirk (which i think the blues do) and get him signed long term, then severson is certainly expendable.

If we're talking about getting Shattenkirk as a Severson replacement, then I can deal with moving him... But what I'm afraid of is we go the FA route to replace Severson, and we overpay for someone who isn't worth the cash, like a Demers. As risky as dealing next year's 1 is, I'd do it for Shattenkirk (with the assurance he signs a new deal) because that pick has a much lesser shot of being a lottery pick with RNH and Shattenkirk in the fold... But dealing Severson for RNH and replacing him with a UFA defenseman is not something I'm looking to do.

Severson for RNH is something I'd do if we have a plan for a replacement on defense. Maybe if we wanted a lesser replacement Edmonton could tack on Fayne, or maybe Fowler instead of Shattenkirk could be a better fit if we wanted to add someone bigger, Fowler would surely cost less than Shattenkirk.

Cammalleri - Henrique - Bennett
Zacha - Nugent-Hopkins - Palmieri
Boucher - Zajac - Blandisi
Kalinin - Josefson - Smith-Pelly

Greene - Larsson
Fowler - Santini
Schlemko - Merrill/Fayne
Moore/Auvitu

Not a bad lineup if you ask me, not sold on Bennett in the top 6 but I think that's the best way it would shake out.

The Devils should not be trading 1st round picks in a deal.  They're just too sh!tty to consider making that move - it's too likely that they implode.   

Severson for RNH+Fayne+Pouliot with 25% EDM salary retention wouldn't be awful.  Devils could then move Pouliot elsewhere while retaining salary on him and hopefully pick up an asset for doing so.  I still think Severson is a potential superstar and while he didn't have the greatest season this year there's still signs that there's a really good player in there.

7 hours ago, Triumph said:

The Devils should not be trading 1st round picks in a deal.  They're just too sh!tty to consider making that move - it's too likely that they implode.   

Severson for RNH+Fayne+Pouliot with 25% EDM salary retention wouldn't be awful.  Devils could then move Pouliot elsewhere while retaining salary on him and hopefully pick up an asset for doing so.  I still think Severson is a potential superstar and while he didn't have the greatest season this year there's still signs that there's a really good player in there.

Agreed, we're still only a bad injury to Schneider from picking top 5 next year.  

I would hate to give up Severson but I would do it to acquire RNH.  We all talk about Severson's upside but I think you would see RNH blossom with a change of scenery and a more structured system.  

18 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Agreed, we're still only a bad injury to Schneider from picking top 5 next year.  

I would hate to give up Severson but I would do it to acquire RNH.  We all talk about Severson's upside but I think you would see RNH blossom with a change of scenery and a more structured system.  

Adding RNH and Shattenkirk to a team that finished above NHL .500 last year where Schneider did miss fairly significant time is not a great bet for a top 5 pick.  And from what you can tell, it might be a pretty weak draft to begin with.  

17 hours ago, Triumph said:

In what world would Edmonton trade RNH, Fayne, and Pouliot, AND retain 25% salary, for Severson?   People are questioning whether or not they'd trade RNH straight up for Severson, and rightfully so, because I doubt they would, and you expect them to give up more, and pay for some of what they're giving up?   Sorry, but that's insane.

9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

In what world would Edmonton trade RNH, Fayne, and Pouliot, AND retain 25% salary, for Severson?   People are questioning whether or not they'd trade RNH straight up for Severson, and rightfully so, because I doubt they would, and you expect them to give up more, and pay for some of what they're giving up?   Sorry, but that's insane.

It's not quite as insane as it appears.  Devils would be taking on two not-great contracts in Fayne and Pouliot, and RNH really hasn't done much in the NHL to date.   

That being said, Edmonton would be making that trade thinking Severson is going to be a lot better (in the near future) than he was last season, or far more of a lock to reach his potential than RNH is to reach his.  They'd have to be as high on Severson as Tri is.  It's hard to believe that Severson has scored just two goals in his last 115 GP...I would still like to see him get one more season here myself. 

If we're going at least on points, which is as good a superficial way to measure how valuable a defenseman who isn't a complete defensive liability might be, it's interesting that Severson has put up points at about the same rate as Jacob Trouba, who Boston is supposedly preparing to offer a massive offer sheet to, and who I would imagine would be enough on his own to land RNH.  Trouba has played more games obviously and has the cache of being a top ten pick whereas it's tough to justify to your fan base trading a non-bust number 1 overall pick for a guy who was drafted at the end of the second round the next year, who hasn't yet reached his potential.  (That is, we're not talking about Roman Jossi).

If it gets done at all, we're probably taking back a bad contract or two, which I guess doesn't matter all that much given where the Devils are salary-wise.

2 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

RNH's $6MM is also something that's probably worth Edmonton getting off their books.

Holy sh!t, I didn't realize he was making that much...and he still has 5 years and $30 million coming to him.  $6 million is obviously becoming less and less every year in the grand scheme, but man, I think I just take my chances with Severson's $600k next season and hope he plays well enough that the Devils want him back and he signs a reasonable RFA contract.  The Devils can obviously take on a contact like RNH's, but man is taking that one on risky. 

So.. now that we have our offense figured out..

What do you think it'd take to get Shattenkirk? He wants out of STL. 

Do we dangle our 2017 1st?

Edit: Assuming an extension could be negotiated.

Edited by Devilsfan118
Clarification

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So.. now that we have our offense figured out..

What do you think it'd take to get Shattenkirk? He wants out of STL. 

Do we dangle our 2017 1st?

Edit: Assuming an extension could be negotiated.

If that is all that it takes, and he is extended at what will likely be 7 x $6.5, then yes. 

I don't like giving up the first, but if they get shattenkirk, and after Hall, Devils should not be near the lottery. 

Pretty amazing what Shero has done in one year.

Traded Larsson Matteau a 2nd and a 3rd for Palmieri DSP Bennett AND Hall.

One would think Larsson Matteau a 2nd and a 3rd doesn't even come close to get Taylor Hall alone. The man is a wizard, cannot wait to see what else Ray has up his sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1