Vegas on the verge

MadDog2020

12 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

The Rangers were named after a headline from a news paper, the Penguins were named because the Civic Center was already called the Igloo, and yes, the Flyers was out of thin air (very much in the 60's/70's modernist aesthetic).

I do not care that the name is used by another team. What is a horrible reflection on the NHL is the fact that this owner overtly named the team after another sports program he had a connection with. Yea, the first Jets owner named his team after the New York Jets. I would've had the same reaction to something that ridiculous, but to illustrate my point, you're comparing something that happened in 2016 in a multi billion dollar industry to the naming of a team in a bullsh!t league half a century ago that lasted what, a decade? This whole Vegas debacle has been bush league from day one, and this really takes it.

Tell me how you excuse not making the slightest effort to incorporate local culture into the branding of the team.

I don't care what we share our name with. There couldn't be a more intimate name than Devils for a team that plays in New Jersey. Is there some lore about the crusades stopping off in Nevada I'm unfamiliar with?

Re bolded: Yet a second team moved there, could have started over with a new name but what did they end up with due to fan pressure?

As for the rest at this point you are arguing and outraged for the sake of arguing and being outraged.  Not every team has to be named after something that is connected closely to the city.  I know owners and leagues that say they want to, but what is said and what is often done is two different things.  What do Tigers have to do with Detroit?  What do Giants have to do with NY or San Francisco?  Also, the Colts and Jazz could have changed names when they moved away from Baltimore and New Orleans respectively, but both opted to keep their names in cities that have nothing to do with either of those names.

I really do believe you would have found something to bitch about no matter what Vegas named their team given that they had to avoid any gambling references. 

38 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

The Rangers were named after a headline from a news paper, the Penguins were named because the Civic Center was already called the Igloo, and yes, the Flyers was out of thin air (very much in the 60's/70's modernist aesthetic).

I do not care that the name is used by another team. What is a horrible reflection on the NHL is the fact that this owner overtly named the team after another sports program he had a connection with. Yea, the first Jets owner named his team after the New York Jets. I would've had the same reaction to something that ridiculous, but to illustrate my point, you're comparing something that happened in 2016 in a multi billion dollar industry to the naming of a team in a bullsh!t league half a century ago that lasted what, a decade? This whole Vegas debacle has been bush league from day one, and this really takes it.

Tell me how you excuse not making the slightest effort to incorporate local culture into the branding of the team.

I don't care what we share our name with. There couldn't be a more intimate name than Devils for a team that plays in New Jersey. Is there some lore about the crusades stopping off in Nevada I'm unfamiliar with?

I had never heard that. I always thought (even with the original Jets, not just the current Jets which are more blatant about it) they were named in tribute to the Royal Canadian Air Force

10 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I just don't get the outrage when it's not our team. I don't even really care if the team does well or not. It's going to be awesome going to Vegas and getting a chance to see a Devils game. Lighten up! 

I've never seen someone so upset over a the name of a team that's 2000 miles away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

I had never heard that. I always thought (even with the original Jets, not just the current Jets which are more blatant about it) they were named in tribute to the Royal Canadian Air Force

That's how the current version explained their name.  From what I understand the original Jets (now Coyotes) took their name from an old WCHL team also located in Winnipeg and called the Jets.  The original WHA Jets though when they entered the NHL in 1979 were so strapped for cash that they purchased from the NY Rangers leftover jersey stock from them when they had the design below that they wore in 76-77 and 77-78 season.  The Jets simply replaced the logo and used those.  Apparently they also bought the leftover socks as well lol.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that at the time those teams used this uniform, they both had John Ferguson as their GM, so there is that connection.

1977-78-topps-walt-tkaczuk.jpg

Edited by DevsMan84

I think it's funny to put a team on the Las Vegas strip and then try to ignore the fact that the main thing the city is known for is gambling. There's not a single person on earth who doesn't associate Vegas with gambling. If that was a concern, they shouldn't have put a team there. 

13 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think it's funny to put a team on the Las Vegas strip and then try to ignore the fact that the main thing the city is known for is gambling. There's not a single person on earth who doesn't associate Vegas with gambling. If that was a concern, they shouldn't have put a team there. 

I couldn't care less if the team is named for gambling or not, its freaking Bettman who wants to push this wholesome product and, what i personally think, is he wants to push a more "wholesome" product than the other leagues. Gambling is a naughty thing and humans shouldnt do it, in his eyes, I bet.

Either way, I'm definitely going to a game next year seeing as I'm a $100 plane ticket away now, guess that one minor plus of living in the southwest now....

22 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Re bolded: Yet a second team moved there, could have started over with a new name but what did they end up with due to fan pressure?

As for the rest at this point you are arguing and outraged for the sake of arguing and being outraged.  Not every team has to be named after something that is connected closely to the city.  I know owners and leagues that say they want to, but what is said and what is often done is two different things.  What do Tigers have to do with Detroit?  What do Giants have to do with NY or San Francisco?  Also, the Colts and Jazz could have changed names when they moved away from Baltimore and New Orleans respectively, but both opted to keep their names in cities that have nothing to do with either of those names.

I really do believe you would have found something to bitch about no matter what Vegas named their team given that they had to avoid any gambling references. 

Yea, after decades of history, fans aren't going to care how the team got their name. In the off chance the Vegas team still exists and with the same name in 30 years, the fans will probably be married to the name.

You're comparing these naming procedures of vastly different eras. Yea, Tigers was probably picked out of a hat in 1901, or whenever the Tigers were founded. I'm not an expert on Victorian Era America, but my guess is that sensibilities were just a little different back then. Teams usually kept names when they moved for the sake of expedience because again, these leagues lacked the professionalism of today's standards. The Colts literally snuck out of Baltimore, and that's the professional bar today's NHL should be shooting for? I'm willing to bet that unless there are some kind of dire circumstances, the Hornets were the last team to relocate without immediately rebranding.

Yea it's not my team, but I want real, respectable franchises in the NHL. I like the product, and I don't want bush league clubs with garbage brands and horrifically cartoonish logos running around making a mockery of the sport. Think for a second about the people of Quebec City. All of them, not a few thousand who will decide hockey is cool once an NHL team comes through town, are watching this whole thing unfold. They're seeing a city with no hockey background and no real chance to develop the sport be gifted a team so the NHL can win prestige points. You now see that the team is nothing but a pet project for this Foley guy, and watch them make a mockery of the whole process. We are lucky to have a team. Vegas is lucky to have a team. Quebec will be lucky now IF they get a team. Half of the NHL cities are lucky to have a team. How does it not piss you off to have this franchise disrespect the game through this whole thing while there are plenty of cities that are far more deserving, that will build a real fan base and culture, that have nothing while Foley runs around being allowed to run a bush league franchise from day one. It's a total disgrace.

They could've named their team after their state's silver or gold mining heritage. They could've made a reference to their desert environment. Anything. But Foley got to name it after his favorite sports team. It's an embarrassment.

Edited by thecoffeecake

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea, after decades of history, fans aren't going to care how the team got their name. In the off chance the Vegas team still exists and with the same name in 30 years, the fans will probably be married to the name.

You're comparing these naming procedures of vastly different eras. Yea, Tigers was probably picked out of a hat in 1901, or whenever the Tigers were founded. I'm not an expert on Victorian Era America, but my guess is that sensibilities were just a little different back then. Teams usually kept names when they moved for the sake of expedience because again, these leagues lacked the professionalism of today's standards. The Colts literally snuck out of Baltimore, and that's the professional bar today's NHL should be shooting for? I'm willing to bet that unless there are some kind of dire circumstances, the Hornets were the last team to relocate without immediately rebranding.

Yea it's not my team, but I want real, respectable franchises in the NHL. I like the product, and I don't want bush league clubs running around with garbage brands and horrifically cartoonish logos running around making a mockery of the sport. Think for a second about the people of Quebec City. All of them, not a few thousand who will decide hockey is cool once an NHL team comes through town, are watching this whole thing unfold. They're seeing a city with no hockey background and no real chance to develop the sport be gifted a team so the NHL can win prestige points. You now see that the team is nothing but a pet project for this Foley guy, and watch them make a mockery of the whole process. We are lucky to have a team. Vegas is lucky to have a team. Quebec will be lucky now IF they get a team. Half of the NHL cities are lucky to have a team. How does it not piss you off to have this franchise disrespect the game through this whole thing while there are plenty of cities that are far more deserving, that will build a real fan base and culture, that have nothing while Foley runs around being allowed to run a bush league franchise from day one. It's a total disgrace.

They could've named their team after their state's silver or gold mining heritage. They could've made a reference to their desert environment. Anything. But Foley got to name it after his favorite sports team. It's an embarrassment.

It's not that bad

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Quebec city doesn't deserve anything just because they previously had a team. Their market is way too small. I never understand all this phony outrage. 

There's a lot of really passionate fans up there.  Unfortunately that's not enough for an NHL team.   I think the NHL could work there, but I do think the language barrier is an issue.

3 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

Yea it's not my team, but I want real, respectable franchises in the NHL. I like the product, and I don't want bush league clubs with garbage brands and horrifically cartoonish logos running around making a mockery of the sport. Think for a second about the people of Quebec City. All of them, not a few thousand who will decide hockey is cool once an NHL team comes through town, are watching this whole thing unfold. They're seeing a city with no hockey background and no real chance to develop the sport be gifted a team so the NHL can win prestige points. You now see that the team is nothing but a pet project for this Foley guy, and watch them make a mockery of the whole process. We are lucky to have a team. Vegas is lucky to have a team. Quebec will be lucky now IF they get a team. Half of the NHL cities are lucky to have a team. How does it not piss you off to have this franchise disrespect the game through this whole thing while there are plenty of cities that are far more deserving, that will build a real fan base and culture, that have nothing while Foley runs around being allowed to run a bush league franchise from day one. It's a total disgrace.

I have never seen anyone panic over "heritage" and "mockery of a sport" as this, holy crap man. Its not like he named the team the cotton headed ninny muggins or some crap like that, he called them the Golden Knights. Minor league baseball has an astounding number of horrendously named teams and not one of them has cause the apocalyptic destruction of the sport in the world. I dunno, I have this strange feeling hockey, too, will survive what you call a disgrace of a team name.

fvck, even the Sabres intentionally losing games two years ago should have been the disgrace to send you immediately to the phones and getting talked down off the ledge by the suicide prevention hotline, yet here you are to again approach that same edge over a team name.

and Foley graduated West Point, its a hat tip from his original alma mater, but that is a minor detail in what is sure to be an entertaining session for your future shrink.

Edited by jagknife

When Billy Joel wrote "Angry Young Man", it could've been written for coffee.  Lyrics fit entirely too well.  

As for the logo and nickname...no real reaction to them.  In a few seasons they'll just be another part of the NHL.  

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:14 AM, thecoffeecake said:

At this point there is no way you are not just breaking balls.  I really do not see how you are this upset over a team playing 2,000 miles away.  I also really do still believe that no matter what they chose you would be upset about it for whatever reason under the sun.

For me personally, the name is just OK.  Nothing great, but not terrible either.  The logo is actually better than I thought.  I was completely preparing for a cartoony knight to appear a la Rutgers Scarlet Knight's logo.  Instead while what we got looks more like a Spartan helmet, it is simple enough to not look childish or stupid.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

At this point there is no way you are not just breaking balls.  I really do not see how you are this upset over a team playing 2,000 miles away.  I also really do still believe that no matter what they chose you would be upset about it for whatever reason under the sun.

For me personally, the name is just OK.  Nothing great, but not terrible either.  The logo is actually better than I thought.  I was completely preparing for a cartoony knight to appear a la Rutgers Scarlet Knight's logo.  Instead while what we got looks more like a Spartan helmet, it is simple enough to not look childish or stupid.

its kind of ridiculous that a team called the knights has a spartan logo. I know 90% of fans won't even notice historical inaccuracy but you'd think they'd develop a more consistent branding. I'd be interested to see what the mascot turns out to look like.

1 hour ago, dmann422 said:

its kind of ridiculous that a team called the knights has a spartan logo. I know 90% of fans won't even notice historical inaccuracy but you'd think they'd develop a more consistent branding. I'd be interested to see what the mascot turns out to look like.

Lmao.  Yeah, that will pretty much nail it, but they can't copy the Senators either.  That's essentially a hoplite solider, isn't it?  Maybe more of a Roman but people can't tell the difference between the two likely. 

1 hour ago, dmann422 said:

Agreed, but in the grand scheme of things, it could have been a LOT worse than a little historical inaccuracy. 

i do't love the name or the logo, but neither is an "embarrassment". I would add, if I had my own team that I paid multiple millions of dollars for, I would name them whatever I fvcking felt like it (subject to league approval, I'm sure; the Flaming Dildos would not be permitted in the NHL). 

But imagine the jersey...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RizzMB30 said:

Lmao.  Yeah, that will pretty much nail it, but they can't copy the Senators either.  That's essentially a hoplite solider, isn't it?  Maybe more of a Roman but people can't tell the difference between the two likely. 

A real Roman senator would be just some guy in a toga.  Not very exciting no matter how you try to spin that one so Hoplite solider or Centurion is probably the closest thing without going completely off-base.  Plus I think Hoplites are more of a Greek thing than Roman,

The name and logo are fine.  I was hoping it was going to be Silver Knights in connection to Nevada being the Silver State, but still better than Desert Knights IMO.  Again they also have the fact that no other team in the 4 major sports have the name Knights, so they would be the first.

On 11/23/2016 at 2:26 PM, DevsMan84 said:

..., you are eventually going to copy someone unless it is completely out of left field.

Right! The Vegas Silverware it is!

Maybe just the Spoons?

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, jagknife said:

I have never seen anyone panic over "heritage" and "mockery of a sport" as this, holy crap man. Its not like he named the team the cotton headed ninny muggins or some crap like that, he called them the Golden Knights. Minor league baseball has an astounding number of horrendously named teams and not one of them has cause the apocalyptic destruction of the sport in the world. I dunno, I have this strange feeling hockey, too, will survive what you call a disgrace of a team name.

fvck, even the Sabres intentionally losing games two years ago should have been the disgrace to send you immediately to the phones and getting talked down off the ledge by the suicide prevention hotline, yet here you are to again approach that same edge over a team name.

and Foley graduated West Point, its a hat tip from his original alma mater, but that is a minor detail in what is sure to be an entertaining session for your future shrink.

I don't know why Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins is not a name! I just created a Logo and sent it to my GF (shes Finnish) The Lapland Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins. There is a North Pole (tourist trap) in the Lapland.

2 hours ago, LittleBallofHate said:

Doesn't sound like anything will come of it but Vegas just can't seem to pick an original name...  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/army-reviewing-vegas-golden-knights-name-233841897.html

Shouldn't be an issue because 1) There's no Army sports team called the Golden Knights, and 2) There is no official army unit called the Golden Knights, its a nickname. 

Pretty sure this will blow over. I mean really, they didn't check this out ahead of time?