Devils trade 77 for Beau Bennett

MadDog2020

22 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i guess this is what our roster could look like so far... if we bring back Elias, is Zacha cracks the lineup and if we re-sign a few guys. We'd still need to land a legit 1st line guy

??? - Zajac - Palmieri

Cammalleri - Henrique - Bennett

Elias - Zacha - DSP

Blandisi - Josefson - Boucher

Green - Larsson

Severson - Merril

Schlemko - Moore

I actually like the look of that lineup a lot, and agree with it a ton, with the exception of ONE thing... Henrique absolutely needs to be the first line center.  Zajac cannot be under any circumstances.  If you wanna give him first line PP minutes because of his faceoff ability, fine, but overall he can't, and shouldn't be, the top center over Henrique.  Henrique has earned first line minutes over Zajac at this point in his career, and his play and stats make him way more deserving of it.

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I actually like the look of that lineup a lot, and agree with it a ton, with the exception of ONE thing... Henrique absolutely needs to be the first line center.  Zajac cannot be under any circumstances.  If you wanna give him first line PP minutes because of his faceoff ability, fine, but overall he can't, and shouldn't be, the top center over Henrique.  Henrique has earned first line minutes over Zajac at this point in his career, and his play and stats make him way more deserving of it.

yeah i keep asking myself where Henrique really belongs on a contender. If we become relevant again i can't imagine that he'd be our first line center. Hopefully Zacha will become that, you don't win a cup with a first line center that really should be a 2nd,3rd line center. So long term will he be moving to the wing if we get stronger in the middle cause Henrique is a top 6 talent but i really can't say he's a legit first line center, just like Zajac. Unless they have a top of the line winger with them like they had in the past

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah i keep asking myself where Henrique really belongs on a contender. If we become relevant again i can't imagine that he'd be our first line center. Hopefully Zacha will become that, you don't win a cup with a first line center that really should be a 2nd,3rd line center. So long term will he be moving to the wing if we get stronger in the middle cause Henrique is a top 6 talent but i really can't say he's a legit first line center, just like Zajac. Unless they have a top of the line winger with them like they had in the past

Yep, agreed.  One thing I was thinking about, which I know is pretty nuts but I was just thinking "why not?", is why aren't we going after Stamkos, and what if he actually signed with us?  Doesn't it at least deserve an offer or a phone call?

I know there are a few big issues and things he is concerned with, one obviously being money, which we probably can compete with to a degree since we have quite a bit of cap room, the others being location - being close to Toronto and/or his home, which we can't compete with, and the other being that he wants to be on a contender and/or at least play with quality players, something we CAN change, but at the moment don't really have an attractive offering. 

They said he prefers to play Center rather than Wing, so just for sh!ts and grins, what if we signed him for what he's asking, and he became our top line Center that we both agreed we don't have but really need?  Then all of a sudden the lines might look like this:

??? - Stamkos - Palmieri

Elias - Zajac - DSP

Blandisi - Zacha- Boucher

Green - Larsson

Severson - Merril

Schlemko - Moore

Ideally we still would need a better top line wing, but I think we would still have the cap room even with a monster contract like Stamkos' coming in, and that likely leaves Josefson out of the lineup who I always was fond of, but let's face it he hasn't really panned out unfortunately.  The only other real downside is having Zacha as a 4th line Center which doesn't make a ton of sense, but it would be worth it I think, at least for a little while, since it would be his first year and a way to ease him into some NHL minutes, and having a truly deep 4 full lines of quality centers where they should be (i.e. Zajac logging 3rd line minutes rather than 1st or 2nd) would justify it I think.  The other thing to consider is that Elias probably isn't with us after next year, so maybe we slot Josefson on the wing somewhere and allow him to remain part of the club.

Basically this ludicrous thought really popped into my head because this situation seems kinda familiar to the whole Kovalchuk sweepstakes a few years ago.  I mean, who really thought we loud land him, and then all of a sudden out of the blue, we did.  It seems eerily familiar, because we were pretty much desperate for scoring then too, and we landed a pretty young (28?) prolific scorer for a ton of money.  Now, if you can believe it, we're probably in even more desperate need of scoring, because we don't even have a Robin to go with Batman (the way Parise was to Kovalchuk).  If this actually happened, I feel like it would be very similar circumstances (Stamkos, one of the league's best scorers, age 26, commanding a lot of money, and probably a surprise signing to most if not the whole league)

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yep, agreed.  One thing I was thinking about, which I know is pretty nuts but I was just thinking "why not?", is why aren't we going after Stamkos, and what if he actually signed with us?  Doesn't it at least deserve an offer or a phone call?

I know there are a few big issues and things he is concerned with, one obviously being money, which we probably can compete with to a degree since we have quite a bit of cap room, the others being location - being close to Toronto and/or his home, which we can't compete with, and the other being that he wants to be on a contender and/or at least play with quality players, something we CAN change, but at the moment don't really have an attractive offering. 

They said he prefers to play Center rather than Wing, so just for sh!ts and grins, what if we signed him for what he's asking, and he became our top line Center that we both agreed we don't have but really need?  Then all of a sudden the lines might look like this:

??? - Stamkos - Palmieri

Elias - Zajac - DSP

Blandisi - Zacha- Boucher

Green - Larsson

Severson - Merril

Schlemko - Moore

Ideally we still would need a better top line wing, but I think we would still have the cap room even with a monster contract like Stamkos' coming in, and that likely leaves Josefson out of the lineup who I always was fond of, but let's face it he hasn't really panned out unfortunately.  The only other real downside is having Zacha as a 4th line Center which doesn't make a ton of sense, but it would be worth it I think, at least for a little while, since it would be his first year and a way to ease him into some NHL minutes, and having a truly deep 4 full lines of quality centers where they should be (i.e. Zajac logging 3rd line minutes rather than 1st or 2nd) would justify it I think.  The other thing to consider is that Elias probably isn't with us after next year, so maybe we slot Josefson on the wing somewhere and allow him to remain part of the club.

Basically this ludicrous thought really popped into my head because this situation seems kinda familiar to the whole Kovalchuk sweepstakes a few years ago.  I mean, who really thought we loud land him, and then all of a sudden out of the blue, we did.  It seems eerily familiar, because we were pretty much desperate for scoring then too, and we landed a pretty young (28?) prolific scorer for a ton of money.  Now, if you can believe it, we're probably in even more desperate need of scoring, because we don't even have a Robin to go with Batman (the way Parise was to Kovalchuk).  If this actually happened, I feel like it would be very similar circumstances (Stamkos, one of the league's best scorers, age 26, commanding a lot of money, and probably a surprise signing to most if not the whole league)

Yeah... i just don't see this happening. There's nothing attractive for Stamkos here. We wouldn't be the highest bidder, we certainly do not give him a chance at the cup, we're not "home" for him, we don't have any of his friend on our team... i mean lol not trying to be negative but i just don't see it.

21 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah... i just don't see this happening. There's nothing attractive for Stamkos here. We wouldn't be the highest bidder, we certainly do not give him a chance at the cup, we're not "home" for him, we don't have any of his friend on our team... i mean lol not trying to be negative but i just don't see it.

Lou is gone, the new regime might bid more for him that we're used to.

But hell no he 's not coming here for the rest of those reasons. 

Yeah I know, there's probably a lot more attractive options, but honestly adding a guy like him to the offensive mix would certainly make us better, and at the very least probably a contender.  We already have a solid goalie capable of getting us there -- he almost did it on his own last year with the league's worst offense in front of him.  We also have a pretty solid and fairly young D corp, so really the offense is the only thing that needed a drastic improvement.   We were a 20-25 team last year....adding him I think would easily make us 10-15, maybe even inside the top 10, depending on who else we could entice in free agency.

I'm just saying, we have the room...why not at least inquire.  My pitch to him would be that he's the missing piece to get us into the playoffs and making a reasonable run.  I mean, when you rattle off a few names that he could potentially play with in the top 6, it's not all that bad - Palmieri, Henrique, Cammalleri, Zajac, Zacha, Pelley.  Add his name to that mix and you have yourself two really solid top lines.  Throw a veteran Elias and other up-and-comers into the bottom 6 like Benett, Blandisi, Boucher, etc, and really the positives and potential definitely outweigh the negatives. 

Edited by NJDfan1711

13 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I know, there's probably a lot more attractive options, but honestly adding a guy like him to the offensive mix would certainly make us better, and at the very least probably a contender.  We already have a solid goalie capable of getting us there -- he almost did it on his own last year with the league's worst offense in front of him.  We also have a pretty solid and fairly young D corp, so really the offense is the only thing that needed a drastic improvement.   We were a 20-25 team last year....adding him I think would easily make us 10-15, maybe even inside the top 10, depending on who else we could entice in free agency.

I'm just saying, we have the room...why not at least inquire.  My pitch to him would be that he's the missing piece to get us into the playoffs and making a reasonable run.  I mean, when you rattle off a few names that he could potentially play with in the top 6, it's not all that bad - Palmieri, Henrique, Cammalleri, Zajac, Zacha, Pelley.  Add his name to that mix and you have yourself two really solid top lines.  Throw a veteran Elias and other up-and-comers into the bottom 6 like Benett, Blandisi, Boucher, etc, and really the positives and potential definitely outweigh the negatives. 

I do like your optimism but again i just don't see it. Plus Palmieri, Henrique, Cammalleri, Zajac, Zacha, Pelley is really not a group that'd make someone go... oh yeah i want to play with those guys... if we'd have an insane playmaker for him... then mayyyyyybe? But Palmieri and Cammalleri are basically both poor man Stamkos. Henrique and Zajac are both 2nd line centers, Zacha is still unproven and also a center... unless one of moved to the wing he wouldnt be playing with them 5 on 5