Sign in to follow this  
Jas0nMacIsaac

2016 Devils 6th Round Pick Jesper Bratt

I am really liking this pick by the Devils, I'm not sure why we don't have threads for all the players like HFBOARDS.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117698

http://www.allaboutthejersey.com/2016/6/25/12021466/2016-nhl-draft-new-jersey-devils-select-jesper-bratt-sixth-round

This kid had numbers Draft -1 similar to Dmytro Timashov (Timashov was an Oct bday), Jonathan Dahlen (Dec birthday), Alex Nylander, Jakub Vrana and Lucas Wallmark. So what about his draft year. Playing 4th line minutes he put up 8 goals and 9 assists in 48 games. Dahlen put up 15 goals 14 assists in 51 games in the same league with essentially an extra year of development.

He maybe soft, he maybe poor defensively but he is a 17 year old Swedish kid who obviously has speed, skill and a shot.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

This is our boom/bust pick of the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did have threads for all the picks last year - I think in the future if I remember I'll make a thread for the 1st round pick, the 2nd round pick, and then all the rest.  

Why have you concluded that Bratt only got 4th line ice time?  I know he was way down on his team in scoring, but I'm not sure why you think this.

1 minute ago, Triumph said:

We did have threads for all the picks last year - I think in the future if I remember I'll make a thread for the 1st round pick, the 2nd round pick, and then all the rest.  

Why have you concluded that Bratt only got 4th line ice time?  I know he was way down on his team in scoring, but I'm not sure why you think this.

I found their team stats which has +- for and against for every player on the team. The top two lines were very obvious and I took a guess that the next LW was higher on the depth charts based on 8 or 9 more events over the course of the season. I'll see if I can dig it up.

6th rounder, if he turns into anything at all that's great, if he doesn't, nobody expects anything from a 6th rounder anyway. 

I like this pick a lot. He's a bit of a project but the skills are very tempting.

Edit: asked around - he bounced around between lines but was very rarely on the top line. In and out of the PP, so no real consistency there (which might be his own doing). 

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1

Ya really love this pick. Him, Anderson and Gignac seem like the best values

What a find, had the kid rated as a 3rd rounder in his draft year but didn't think he'd be this good this quickly. I had the Colorado feed of the game on Saturday on yesterday and they were also raving about this kid, these are the kinds of picks you need in a rebuild to really push your team forward quickly. Kid came in and forced the coaching staffs hand, the way it stands right now he's gonna be an important player this year.

I'm gonna be calling him Bratt-Man all year.

Edited by CommonDreads

Of course happy so far.    Let's not go totally crazy yet tho

36 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

My daughter already calls Cory "The Amazing Schneider-Man" so he'll fit right in. 

• Like 3

nice call jason.. so far he looks like Jacob josephson with superior hockey sense (always in the right place making the right play)  he's Nico-lite, and i reserve the right to remove "lite" when I want

Edited by EdgeControl

1 hour ago, CommonDreads said:

Hopefully never Bratt-Worst.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hopefully never Bratt-Worst.

Well played. 

• Like 1

I'm reminded of Scott Gomez how he immediately jumped into the NHL and looked like he belonged.  His passing is the most impressive part of his game so far.  I haven't seen much out of his shot besides on the goal vs the Avs, but that can be worked on a little.  

He's not going to keep scoring on every shot, but there's a chance this kid will end up being a 1st line player.  His instincts are off-the-charts good.  It'll be hard for him to keep that up - the NHL has a way of destroying a young player's confidence - but he fit right in as Hall and Zacha's RW.  He turns 20 next August.

Just now, Triumph said:

I'm reminded of Scott Gomez how he immediately jumped into the NHL and looked like he belonged.  His passing is the most impressive part of his game so far.  I haven't seen much out of his shot besides on the goal vs the Avs, but that can be worked on a little.  

He's not going to keep scoring on every shot, but there's a chance this kid will end up being a 1st line player.  His instincts are off-the-charts good.  It'll be hard for him to keep that up - the NHL has a way of destroying a young player's confidence - but he fit right in as Hall and Zacha's RW.  He turns 20 next August.

Good comparison...Gomez never really developed into a much better player than he was as a 19-year-old, but yeah, stepped right in and never needed to go through those typical growth years...he was what he was right from the get-go.   

Besides his goals, especially the shortie against Buffalo, I'm most impressed with his vision and passing ability.

The patience he showed on the Moore shortie was impressive, and the tape-to-tape cross-ice passes on the powerplay make me shake my head.

From a 19 year old.  Just crazy smart.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Starting to wonder if Bratt is in fact going to be sent down. He still looks good whenever he is on the ice, but he's down to ~12 min of ice a game in the last handful..I hope he stays, but I would understand if they send him down to marinate with lots of ice time. Isn't he AHL eligible too? 

2 hours ago, Steadevils said:

Starting to wonder if Bratt is in fact going to be sent down. He still looks good whenever he is on the ice, but he's down to ~12 min of ice a game in the last handful..I hope he stays, but I would understand if they send him down to marinate with lots of ice time. Isn't he AHL eligible too? 

He's not AHL eligible.  I don't think there's any plans to send him down - I think they are cutting his ice time because he's 19.  He was still out with Hischier on the last penalty kill the Devils had, and he was out on the power play as well.  

2 hours ago, Steadevils said:

He's playing well but did you really think he was going to be more of an impact player than Hischier?   Expectations need to be tempered for Bratt.  

4 minutes ago, pattyelias said:

He's playing well but did you really think he was going to be more of an impact player than Hischier?   Expectations need to be tempered for Bratt.  

Yeah, not really much of a surprise that his offense has stalled for now, but the guy doesn't look out of place or overwhelmed and is still having impressive moments, and has good instincts.  I'd keep him here. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Triumph said:

He's not AHL eligible.  I don't think there's any plans to send him down - I think they are cutting his ice time because he's 19.  He was still out with Hischier on the last penalty kill the Devils had, and he was out on the power play as well.  

He is. He's drafted from HockeyAllsvenskan, doesn't have a contract there and isn't a CHL player yet so the transfer agreement doesn't apply to him.