RFA Qualifying Offers Due by 5 PM

Triumph

17 minutes ago, Z-Man said:

Reading some blogs/articles....DSP is as good as gone if the Devils don't sign him today.  A young big, tough forward who showed a little scoring touch in a limited role last year - teams will not hesitate to spend a little for a player like this.

Bennett/Merrill - probably not as attractive as DSP, but someone looking for a 5-6 D with experience might bite on Merrill.

With all the joy of the Hall trade yesterday, these non-tenders could bite Shero in the butt.  Teams aren't built on one star player.

At least with Bennett, his thank you letter to Pittsburgh fans really made it sound like he expects to sign with the Devils.  Shero again expressed confidence of signing the other two players as well.  Guess we'll have to see. 

I would hate to lose any and all of those guys, particularly Pelley since he showed some promise early after we got him last year, but especially Bennett considering we just got him and it would be a waste to have traded for him and not sign him.  Don't understand that one at all.

13 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I would hate to lose any and all of those guys, particularly Pelley since he showed some promise early after we got him last year, but especially Bennett considering we just got him and it would be a waste to have traded for him and not sign him.  Don't understand that one at all.

If it makes you feel any better, this was on the Fire & Ice blog this morning ( in this post  http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/gm-ray-shero-on-hall-trade-his-restricted-free-agents-and-andy-greene-s-offensive-capabilities-1.1624416 ):  

(SHERO) On how close he feels he is to signing restricted free agents Jon Merrill, Devante Smith-Pelly and Beau Bennett, who did not receive qualifying offers and can become unrestricted free agents at noon on Friday:

“We didn’t do that for a reason whether it was arbitration rights or in arbitration they’d get a two-year deal or might get one or might get one-year deal and you might want two. So, as a I characterized it a couple days ago, I’m really positive about where we are with these guys and I’m really confident that we’re going to find a deal by the start of free agency that works for them and for us. So, I’m hopeful all three will be under contract and that’s going to be resolved in the next day.”

it's kind of tricky cause... were kind of set in some area but

Hall - Henrique - ???

Cammalleri - Zajac - Palmieri

Boucher or Blandisi - Zacha - ???

Kalinin - Josefson - ???

then we have Lappin that might make an impression at camp... 

So we know Shero will likely try to sign someone or trade for someone... but that will affect the role guys like DSP or Bennett will have on the team obviously... say we sign Eriksson he's obviously gonna b one the top 2 lines... That means we'd have to play either DSP or Bennett on the 4th line and that's simply not the kind of players they are plus you'd have to play boucher or blandisi on the right too and there's just no room ... so depending on what's his plan it might make sense... some of our player might become expandable / assets for another trade so he might be cooking something big. 

That been said i really don't like it either i really don't want to let those guys walk. We'll need all the assets that we can in order to rebuild.

of course we kind of need some backup cause if we have cammalleri and Bennett well they'll be fighting for the best seats in the players lounge more than fighting for a spot on the roster

11 hours ago, Triumph said:

No one's walking.  They'll be signed.

Yeah, TG tweeted something that he expected it to be announced shortly before or after noon today.  Don't know if he's speculating, or if he had some kind of source on that though.