NJs New Need for a Defensive Defenseman

Derlique

shattenkirk-jersey.jpg

Make it so. 

St. Louis Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk, who is from New Rochelle, N.Y., said he had “30 or 40” friends and family members at Tuesday’s game against the Devils at Prudential Center.

Apparently, none of them noticed that his No. 8 New Jersey Devils Youth Hockey Club jersey is on display at The Rock in a new section on the main concourse that honors NHL players with New Jersey connections.

“I didn’t know about that,” Shattenkirk said. “That’s awesome.”

Although Shattenkirk, 25, is from New Rochelle, he played for seven years in the Devils Youth Hockey Club program at South Mountain Arena in West Orange, which used to be the NHL Devils’ practice home.

“I went there when I was 10 years old and I played there until I left for the (U.S. National Team Development Program),” said Shattenkirk, who is tied for fourth in the NHL among defensemen with 10 points. “There really wasn’t much at that time in Westchester. My older brother, Keith, went down to Jersey to play for them and, for my parents’ sake, it was easier to get two guys in the same area. So, we both shipped down there and it worked out well.”

From Fire and Ice - 2014

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Like 3

I hate to say this out loud, especially since I thought we'd finish bottom 3-6 this season, but I just don't see how we could be worse next season than we are now. Especially if we got a Shattenkirk to fill in for Larsson. We aren't going to have the Tootoo's and Ruutuu's taking up roster space anymore. Our bottom lines should be faster and able to contribute more. especially since the acquisition of Hall pushes all of the LW's down a spot. 

We all know Schneider is capable of a Vezina type of season and even if he goes down we have a good competition going on for the back up between Wedge and Kinky. Should raise both of their games. We should almost be guaranteed to score more goals. I think the Flyers overachieved last year, the Rangers are trending down, CBus should be worse than us, Carolina isn't proven yet...it's very possible for us to make the playoffs. And even if we just miss them again it's not like picks 11-16 are anything special anyway. I'd rather give up a pick between 11-20 and get Shattenkirk.

Maybe it can be a 2018 1st. I just don't see us as being bottom feeders anytime soon. We're more stuck in purgatory than anything else.

Edited by Jerzey

Reports are the Blues are allowing potential trade partners to talk with Shattenkirk about an extension before doing anything. Not sure that we're on his list, but if we could get him with an extension in place, I wouldn't hesitate to give up next years first.

2017 1st + 2018 2nd + blandisi/boucher I'd be more than happy with. Probably gets beat by another team but I'd much rather give those pieces up for Shattenkirk before overpaying any of the UFAs or bringing in 4th pairing dmen like schenn.

• Like 1

Just now, dmann422 said:

2017 1st + 2018 2nd + blandisi/boucher I'd be more than happy with. Probably gets beat by another team but I'd much rather give those pieces up for Shattenkirk before overpaying any of the UFAs or bringing in 4th pairing dmen like schenn.

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe try swapping out the 1st with Blackwood?  

37 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Would love to have Shattenkirk here, but I don't see how it works. The Devils absolutely should not be trading any first round picks right now, and we really don't have much else that would interest them.

We don't need the first round picks as much as we did even a month ago.  The prospect cupboard is not nearly as bare as it once was.  Having four second round picks over the next two drafts also helps ease the loss of a first next year, in what looks to be a mediocre draft.

You add Shattenkirk to this team, and barring catastrophic injuries, the Devils are a decent bet to make the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

Reports are the Blues are allowing potential trade partners to talk with Shattenkirk about an extension before doing anything. Not sure that we're on his list, but if we could get him with an extension in place, I wouldn't hesitate to give up next years first.

Shattenkirk has to agree to an extension so if he knows we're on the list, and he wants to play for us, he can just turn down an extension with everyone else like he did with Edmonton.

Alright I'm getting a little too excited here. Shero's wizardry has me all kinds of optimistic.

the way I was looking at this was that severson is larssons replacement, so we are replacing severson's role.  someone to pair with the lefty Merrill,

but shero may have other plans, does he pair greene with another offensive threat? not seeing that, but....

3 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

the way I was looking at this was that severson is larssons replacement, so we are replacing severson's role.  someone to pair with the lefty Merrill,

but shero may have other plans, does he pair greene with another offensive threat? not seeing that, but....

That may very well be the plan, but ideally you want Severson in the PP rotation. Are you also going to give him 1st unit PK time too? I'm confident he'll improve over last season but I don't know he's ready for that much responsibility, or even if he's an ideal PKer at all.

5 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I think he's worth giving a chance to, but there's not a whole lot of backup options if he fails.

I suppose there's always Helgeson to get really sheltered minutes and fill up space.  The team didn't implode while he was around. 

28 minutes ago, dmann422 said:

That may very well be the plan, but ideally you want Severson in the PP rotation. Are you also going to give him 1st unit PK time too? I'm confident he'll improve over last season but I don't know he's ready for that much responsibility, or even if he's an ideal PKer at all.

good point, imo, the 5 PP assists can be replaced. he has a sneaky wrister that finds its way thru, but hardly a cannon..  Id look to find a PP point, and have him on PK duty until he shows its not a strength