D Ben Lovejoy signs 3 year deal with NJD, $2.66M AAV

Triumph

1 minute ago, Marshall said:

It has less to do with the type of player and more to do with signing a 32 year old to a 3 year deal. 

I think it's fine at that dollar amount.  The hope would be that Santini and someone else can overtake him in that time.  I don't consider it a 3 year deal - I consider it a 4 year deal that has a cap hit of 2.66, 2.66, .89, .89.

• Like 2

Can't we just be happy that we're gonna be super fast and ONLY have 5 guys on our team over 30? Cammalleri, Fiddler, Zajac, Greene and Lovejoy...Everyone else is under 30.

I'm sure i don't need to remind anyone of how old and slow we were in Lou's final years?

C'mon boys, it's a celebration lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

No, it isn't.

Andy Greene was/is a first pairing defenseman. When he declines (which has already happened a fair bit), as is common after 30, he can still be a second of third pairing defenseman. Overpaid for that role, sure, but still being a player. Lovejoy is a third pairing dman. When he declines, he's replacement level at 2.66m. That is bad. 

And if you don't think 32 is old in hockey, well, have a look at an aging curve. Or look at how players do after 30 vs in their 20s. As Tri said, it'll probably be a four year deal...

12 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Can't we just be happy that we're gonna be super fast and ONLY have 5 guys on our team over 30? Cammalleri, Fiddler, Zajac, Greene and Lovejoy...Everyone else is under 30.

I'm sure i don't need to remind anyone of how old and slow we were in Lou's final years?

C'mon boys, it's a celebration lol

Sd telling people to be happy. Bizzaro world in full effect.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Marshall said:

Lovejoy is a third pairing dman. When he declines, he's replacement level at 2.66m. That is bad. 

Except that we're nowhere near the cap and the 2.66m doesn't matter...

I'd have been more comfortable with a 2 year deal based on his age, but 3 is ok. At least it wasn't 6!!!

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Except that we're nowhere near the cap and the 2.66m doesn't matter...

I'd have been more comfortable with a 2 year deal based on his age, but 3 is ok. At least it wasn't 6!!!

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

This wasn't supposed to be our keynote transaction of the offseason. That happened when we got a top-5 LW via trade. Lovejoy is a piece that will play a full season, and play it well if unspectacular. 

And, as someone else mentioned, 2.6m is meaningless when the team is still UNDER the salary floor. We will not be a cap team this year (or next, or probably the year after that) so what's the issue with having him make a little bit more than you think he should? 

Devils are 4m under the floor w/o this signing because they are three dmen and four forwards short of a full roster. Kyle Palmieri alone will bring the team above the floor. 

On 7/1/2016 at 9:43 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

Eh, why not.

I'm still keeping my Shattenkirk dream alive though.

Next year, after the Vegas expansion draft/protected rosters stuff, that's when it's time to spring the big offer for Shattenkirk. Now imagine if he ever becomes Devs Captain. have a parody star trek night with the Red Shirts

We really only have to protect Greene and Severson on defense for the expansion draft. Santini won't be eligible yet. We have one open spot on defense we can afford to protect. I say we go and get Shattenkirk now before the Rags or Bruins get him.

51 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

We really only have to protect Greene and Severson on defense for the expansion draft. Santini won't be eligible yet. We have one open spot on defense we can afford to protect. I say we go and get Shattenkirk now before the Rags or Bruins get him.

i think a bunch of us would love to but as tri pointed out first, the best carrot the devils really have to offer (that they can afford to offer) is next year's 1st and that's not what st. louis wants. they want a good roster forward. i think it would take henrique and that's one step forward one step back for a guy like shattenkirk. now if, for some reason, they wanted cammalleri and a 2nd, that i'd do (of course). but unless they think offense is their issue, that's not a deal they're interested in. besides, after losing backes, they're in need of a center. it makes too much sense for a shattenkirk for krecij trade and that's what i bet happens.

7 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i think a bunch of us would love to but as tri pointed out first, the best carrot the devils really have to offer (that they can afford to offer) is next year's 1st and that's not what st. louis wants. they want a good roster forward. i think it would take henrique and that's one step forward one step back for a guy like shattenkirk. now if, for some reason, they wanted cammalleri and a 2nd, that i'd do (of course). but unless they think offense is their issue, that's not a deal they're interested in. besides, after losing backes, they're in need of a center. it makes too much sense for a shattenkirk for krecij trade and that's what i bet happens.

The thing to remember is that there's a relatively small list of teams that Shattenkirik will supposedly negotiate an extension with, and I imagine the Devils are one of them.  The other teams on that list may not even be interested in him for all we know.  If he's not going to one of those small group of teams that he's said he'd sign an extension with, he's basically a rental.  And the best rentals generally get you a first round pick and a decent prospect.  

You're right that Kreiji for Shattenkirk is better than anything we can offer.  But if Boston is not one of those teams on Shattenkirks list, there aren't many teams that can do better than a first rounder from a team that's less than 50-50 to make the playoffs.

40 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

If Shattenkirk agrees to an extension before a trade, I'd give up a 2017 1st and Blandisi for him. Trading 1st's is difficult but Shattenkirk would change our defense. Plus, adding Hall and Shattenkirk I think would make us a playoff team.

I'd do that trade all day. 

2 hours ago, sundstrom said:

That's true. I wasn't really thinking about St. Louis' needs as much. I think the list of teams he's willing to sign long term to is really short. Maybe we'll get lucky and he won't get traded to the Rags or Isles or Bruins by next summer.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

The thing to remember is that there's a relatively small list of teams that Shattenkirik will supposedly negotiate an extension with, and I imagine the Devils are one of them.  The other teams on that list may not even be interested in him for all we know.  If he's not going to one of those small group of teams that he's said he'd sign an extension with, he's basically a rental.  And the best rentals generally get you a first round pick and a decent prospect.  

You're right that Kreiji for Shattenkirk is better than anything we can offer.  But if Boston is not one of those teams on Shattenkirks list, there aren't many teams that can do better than a first rounder from a team that's less than 50-50 to make the playoffs.

Boston is 100% in that list. At the draft, if Boston would've given their 1st, it was a done deal with extension. 

3 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I agree that trading next year's first is safe if it's for a player of Shattenkirk's caliber. You can't add hall and Shattenkirk to a team that was staying afloat for half of the season in playoff contention and be worried it'll be a top-5

Am I the only one that disagrees with this trade. Unless he agrees to a contract, I will not trade for him.