Lets talk roster

Jas0nMacIsaac

NJ has gone from a team with many holes up front to a team very deep on the wings. There are going to be a lot of camp battles with a lot of those good players being forced to play in the AHL.

Locks: Taylor Hall, Adam Henrique, Kyle Palmieri, Mike Cammalerri, Travis Zajac, Beau Bennett, Jacob Josefson, Vernon Fiddler, Devante Smith-Pelly

Safe: Reid Boucher, Sergei Kalinen

Battle: Joseph Blandisi, Pavel Zacha, John Quenneville, Miles Wood, Nick Lappin, Luke Gazdic

I believe Gazdic will hold one of the extra spots, for a goon he actually does well possession wise relative top his team. He just had a terrible PDO. I believe Miles Wood will definately make his way on the Devils unless Shero veto's Hynes. Wood can be an elite 4th liner to start and work his way up the lineup. Speed kills and he fits the framework of this team. I believe Zacha will start in Albany and take over for Josefson if he fails to produce. I love Lappin and think his window is smaller than others but he will have to wait and force his way on the team. 

Taylor Hall - Adam Henrique - Beau Bennett

Mike Cammalerri - Travis Zajac - Kyle Palmieri

Reid Boucher - Jacob Josefson/Pavel Zacha - Devante Smith-Pelly

Sergei Kalinen - Vernon Fiddler - Miles Wood

Luke Gazdic,

Shots per 60:

Hall - 10.29

Cammalerri - 2.45

Bennett - 7.96

Smith-Pelly - 7.34

Boucher - 6.67

Palmeri - 6.59

Fiddler 6.47

Cammalerri - 6.28

Gazdic - 6.02

Henrique - 5.77

Josefson - 5.47

Zajac - 4.84

Kalinen - 4.12

NJ should score a lot more

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac
  • Like 1

Someone told me in another thread that Zacha can't play in the AHL (until Sarnia's season is over) because of the CHL agreement (I think?). Players who play juniors in the CHL have to either play for their junior team or their drafted team. I'm sure someone else will explain it properly or flat out correct me. I just found out about the rule myself. It's Sarnia or NJ for Zacha.

I like the lineup though. We'll probably run into some injuries so it's good to have some decent depth finally.

Edited by Jerzey

Someone told me in another thread that Zacha can't play in the AHL (until Sarnia's season is over) because of the CHL agreement (I think?). Players who play juniors in the CHL have to either play for their junior team or their drafted team. I'm sure someone else will explain it properly or flat out correct me. I just found out about the rule myself. It's Sarnia or NJ for Zacha.

I like the lineup though. We'll probably run into some injuries so it's good to have some decent depth finally.

This is correct- Zacha isn't eligible for Albany. He'll either be in Jersey or Sarnia.

29 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I don't see Bennett on the first line. Palmier should be the RW on the first line. I would love to see Hudler on the 2nd line at RW.

Yeah Bennett is not a first liner, swap with Palmieri. 

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is correct- Zacha isn't eligible for Albany. He'll either be in Jersey or Sarnia.

No, he was loaned from Liberec to Sarnia in his draft year and thus he can go to Albany. Gives the player and his NHL team flexibility. Same with Julius Honka, Alex Nylander, Timashov (who has one more year of junior eligiblity but will be with the Marlies next season). 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

I don't see Bennett on the first line. Palmier should be the RW on the first line. I would love to see Hudler on the 2nd line at RW.

1st and 2nd lines play the exact same 5 on 5 minutes. Bennett won't play on the PP or PK so playing a lot of minutes 5 on 5 (his strength) is in the best interest of the team. 

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

No, he was loaned from Liberec to Sarnia in his draft year and thus he can go to Albany. Gives the player and his NHL team flexibility. Same with Julius Honka, Alex Nylander, Timashov (who has one more year of junior eligiblity but will be with the Marlies next season). 

Nice, I didn't know that. That's great for us with regard to having options with Zacha.

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

I believe that's if the Devils buy out his Liberec contract.  They've made no indication that they're willing to do that.  

I think it's imperative to get Palmieri on the ice with Hall, but it's hard to break up him and Zajac. Everyone seems set on Hall and Henrique playing together, but who knows what that chemistry is like at this point. I haven't seen any line projections with them apart.

8 hours ago, Triumph said:

I believe that's if the Devils buy out his Liberec contract.  They've made no indication that they're willing to do that.  

Is he still under contract with Liberec though? I haven't been able to find any info on that.

Edit: also, since he's a first round pick, I don't think anything with Liberec matters. Non-first rounders have to be offered back to their European club teams, but that doesn't apply to Zacha.

Edited by Marshall

16 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Am I way too high on Blandisi or are you way too low on Blandisi?

I see Blandisi and Boucher really fighting for Bennett's spot (In Jason's Lineup) in the top 6.  It's a pipe-dream, but who knows what we will see with a Hall-Henrique-Hudler/Palmieri/Boucher line.  I'd really pumped.  I don't think training camp can get here fast enough.   I just hope that the Camms-Zajac-Palmieri line can figure it out if you do decide to go that route.  It seems like Palmieri and Zajac were playing pretty well together towards the end of last season.

What about the Defense?

Greene- Severson

Moore- Lovejoy

Merrill- Helgeson/Santini?

We need to have 2 offensive duo.

henrique- Hall

zajac-palmieri seems fine

personally my top 6 would be

Hall- Henrique- Dsp

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri

DSP brings physicality, net presence and grit to a fast and furious duo. I love him there.

3rd line

Boucher or blandisi/Josefson/Bennett

4th

Fiddler, Gazdic, Kalinin

Maybe we will see Kalinin on the third since i like him a lot. :P

Edited by caron14

23 minutes ago, sokar said:

I think the line combo might look like

Hall Henrique DSP

Cammalleri Zajac Palmieri

Boucher Zacha Bennett

Blandisi Fiddler Kalinin

Greene Severson

Santini Lovejoy

Moore Merrill

Preferrably Lovejoy would be on the bottom pairing with Moore, although Merrill-Santini doesn't inspire confidence without even seeing Santini in live-action.  

8 hours ago, Marshall said:

Is he still under contract with Liberec though? I haven't been able to find any info on that.

Edit: also, since he's a first round pick, I don't think anything with Liberec matters. Non-first rounders have to be offered back to their European club teams, but that doesn't apply to Zacha.

They have to pay a transfer fee.  They've not done that, and they've made no indication that they will do that.  I believe transfer fees for non-KHL leagues are like $125,000?  Maybe more?  It's not nothing.  

30 minutes ago, Triumph said:

They have to pay a transfer fee.  They've not done that, and they've made no indication that they will do that.  I believe transfer fees for non-KHL leagues are like $125,000?  Maybe more?  It's not nothing.  

Shero himself said on XM this past week that Zacha must either make the NHL roster or return to junior.  This is presumably why.