Vesey signs with Rangers.

Daniel

Per what appears to be a mainstream publication.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/Jimmy-Vesey-has-a-short-list-of-teams-Boston-Bruins-are-on-it

The sense at this address: the Bruins, Sabres, Maple Leafs and New Jersey Devils are the teams on Vesey’s short list with the Pittsburgh Penguins as a possible dark horse candidate after winning the Stanley Cup last spring.

The Devils are pretty deep at wing at this point, so perhaps the report is a little out of date. 

I don't know that much about him, but looking at his college stats, I think I'd find a spot for him if he were interested in coming to New Jersey. 

Perhaps moving a forward and acquiring Shattenkirk might make it seem even better. Is Vesey NHL ready or does he need time in Albany?

Edited by mfitz804

12 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

This team is too full offensively. We really oughta trade one of our talented young forwards for a defenseman. Any idea what Edmonton would ask for Adam Larsson? Kid seems really good.

;)

i'm sure they'd ask for Taylor Hall but they'd have to add to that... it doesn't make sense straight up

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don't know that much about him, but looking at his college stats, I think I'd find a spot for him if he were interested in coming to New Jersey. 

Perhaps moving a forward and acquiring Shattenkirk might make it seem even better. Is Vesey NHL ready or does he need time in Albany?

exactly, if he's willing to sign here. You do it, it gives you assets and flexibility. It's a no brainer to me.

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

This team is too full offensively. We really oughta trade one of our talented young forwards for a defenseman. Any idea what Edmonton would ask for Adam Larsson? Kid seems really good.

;)

He's a Hobey Baker Award winner; if you don't have room for him on August 15th, you make room for him, and you've got two months to do so! We're 3 months removed from a season in which guys like Tootoo, Ruutu, Farnham, etc. were rounding out our 3rd line at times and getting PP time occasionally. You don't say "no" to someone like Jimmy Vesey because you think there's a logjam. We can take him on and figure out the logjam later!

• Like 2

just for fun.. let's put ourselves in his shoes...  and what does it mean for him to sign with one of them...

Lets look at the LW depth for each teams:

Sabres

• Kane
  • Ennis
  • Foligno
  • Deslauriers

Kind of a battling with Ennis and Foligno here i assume.

Pens

• Kunitz
  • Hagelin
  • Kunitz
  • Sheary

I just don’t see a fit here or him wanting to jump in that competition but of course, playing with Crosby or Malkin is certainly good motivation.

Devils

• Hall
  • Cammalleri
  • Boucher
  • Blandisi
  • Wood

Well hopefully he KNOWS that Cammalleri is always injured so that he could possibly land the 2nd line role.

Boston

• Marchand
  • Beleskey
  • Vatrano
  • Blidh

I think he could also land the 2nd line rolein Boston, which is home for him so obviously that’s gonna be hard to beat.

Toronto

• Van Riemsdyk
  • Lupul
  • Michalek
  • Martin

Just like Cammalleri.. Lupul is made of glass so he might be able to get the 2nd line role there but he’d be battling with Michalek.

41 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

just for fun.. let's put ourselves in his shoes...  and what does it mean for him to sign with one of them...

Nice little comparison; I'd say Boston and New Jersey look like the 2 most open teams for him, with Boston having a little bit of the edge. However, you never know, maybe he factors in that Boston's a team on the downswing and that we're the team on the rise.

11 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Nice little comparison; I'd say Boston and New Jersey look like the 2 most open teams for him, with Boston having a little bit of the edge. However, you never know, maybe he factors in that Boston's a team on the downswing and that we're the team on the rise.

i just think it's great that were somehow appealing. That's very refreshing. I mean i know Newark doesn't always have a great reputation (is it warranted or not? no clue but the reputation is indeed a thing) and i know that so many players wants to go to the Rangers because... New York. But freag, it's RIGHT THERE. If you're in Newark... NY is right there so you can have the same lifestyle and all.

I'd really really like to see him sign in NJ. Man can you imagine.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Lets look at the LW depth for each teams:

Just like Cammalleri.. Lupul is made of glass so he might be able to get the 2nd line role there but he’d be battling with Michalek.

I'm still shocked that he wouldn't have just gone to Nashville.  Poile basically said he had a top 6 spot waiting for him and the Preds are significantly better than anyone on your list other than the Pens.   The top 6 opportunity was there, he would have played in this years playoffs and he would have burned a year of his ELC.  I don't understand why he passes that up for a chance to play for a rebuilding Devils team.   At least with Toronto there's the Daddy angle and there's the hometown thing with Boston   

I'm not sure Poile was willing to pay him over slot - even that doesn't make a ton of sense.  Maybe he just didn't want to play for Nashville.  But yeah, I can't imagine he signs here, there's lots of other reasons to go elsewhere and not any particularly compelling ones to come here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I'm still shocked that he wouldn't have just gone to Nashville.  Poile basically said he had a top 6 spot waiting for him and the Preds are significantly better than anyone on your list other than the Pens.   The top 6 opportunity was there, he would have played in this years playoffs and he would have burned a year of his ELC.  I don't understand why he passes that up for a chance to play for a rebuilding Devils team.   At least with Toronto there's the Daddy angle and there's the hometown thing with Boston   

Maybe he didn't want to play in the Western Conference?  

Apparently he's buddies with Kerfoot - though I don't think that'll sway him much...  

Edited by LittleBallofHate

I guess he played with Kerfoot which maybe brings the slightest bit of interest, but I'd be shocked if he chose to play anywhere but Boston. Maybe you make the case for an upgraded Buffalo team; I'm not sure how close he was with Eichel when they played across the city in college. His competition in the ECAC was lower level than most other conferences but then again, a Hobey is no small accomplishment. Shero has done a fine job so far, maybe he has one more trick up his sleeve. He's another lefty winger, but as others have mentioned, you make room for that kind of upside.

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

I'm not sure Poile was willing to pay him over slot - even that doesn't make a ton of sense.  Maybe he just didn't want to play for Nashville.  But yeah, I can't imagine he signs here, there's lots of other reasons to go elsewhere and not any particularly compelling ones to come here.

By many accounts, a lot of the Nashville players hook up with a lot of those hot young country music chicks that Nashville I apparently full of. My man should have signed, that looks like an awesome place to play. 

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

i just think it's great that were somehow appealing. That's very refreshing. I mean i know Newark doesn't always have a great reputation (is it warranted or not? no clue but the reputation is indeed a thing) and i know that so many players wants to go to the Rangers because... New York. But freag, it's RIGHT THERE. If you're in Newark... NY is right there so you can have the same lifestyle and all.

I'd really really like to see him sign in NJ. Man can you imagine.

Well, you're pretty on point. If he wants a New York lifestyle, he can go play for the Rangers. You come here to play in New Jersey and live a New Jersey lifestyle.

Newark is a tiny city. I hate the crap places I have to work in, too, but it doesn't make where I live any less appealing. And yes, Newark can be a rough city, but its also a cultural diamond-in-the-rough, an educational hub for a city of its size, and has some of the best restaurants you'll ever eat at. Racial undertones have a lot to do with Newark's reputation; not entirely, of course. Some guy tried selling my buddy and I drugs directly on Broad st. when we went to the season finale in April. Elements like that exist, but it's a Rust Belt city.

I'd be ecstatic to have Vesey. Like others have said, you make the room for him, it doesn't matter what you have to do. But, as others have also said, I think the three other teams on that list appeal to him at a much higher level. If I'm Vesey and have the choice of 30 cities in the US and Canada to go live and play in (assuming every team would sign him, which I'm betting they would), I go play in my hometown. I guess it'd be cool to go play with some buddies or with an organization you have familial ties in, but I think he goes to Boston. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Toronto, but how do you turn down that kind of opportunity? Not everyone thinks the way I do, though.

It's settled, I'm going to Nashville. 

I managed to go last season for the Devils game there. It was that crazy 5-4 OT win! Then saw Blake Shelton the next day. It's really fun city and you will see so many bachelorette parties at every bar haha. It's fantastic. No way I would live there since its basically just food liquor and music but it's definitely a great place to visit.