• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RunninWithTheDevil

Slow Hockey Day: Summer Edition Question

18 posts in this topic

So, now that most of the trades and signings are out of the way and we look forwards towards September:

How do you see the Devils season shaking out this year? What spot do you put them in? Who are you expecting to do well this season? What is your confidence level regarding playoffs chances?

Around 6th in the division, give or take a spot. I'd expect Hall and Henrique to do well on offense, and I'm hoping (praying) that Severson really shines this season.

I think we will be hovering around the 4-5th spot in the division for most of the year.

I'm optimistic we get into the playoffs. Set in goal. Forward reset looks very good to me. D is a question mark as we don't know who'll be 5-6.

I hope Santini makes the jump. It'll evolve at camp. I think we'll wind up 5 in our division

I guess we could be close to being a team that scores more goals than it gives up, which is usually a good sign that you're close to being a playoff team.  Hall and a healthy Cammalleri (a big if) should up the goal total significantly.  The bottom six forwards also figure to be a stronger than last year.  Depends on how much losing Larsson hurts the penalty kill and shot suppression generally. 

Hopefully we'll be one of those sneaky teams that surprises a lot of people, which is always possible when the goaltending is as good as it is. 

Last year I thought we'd finish bottom 5 and we exceeded my expectations by a lot. This year  I'm a little too optimistic I think. I think We can definitely beat out Carolina and Columbus and I think we have a good chance at beating the Rags, Philly, and Isles in points. Not to mention the Atlantic should be a sh!t show next year. Metro could possibly put 5 through to the playoffs while the Atlantic puts only 3. We'll see.

Again I'm being too optimistic but I really like what's been done to the team so far. Two years ago I was dying for a change in the overall philosophy of the team and I'd say we pretty much got that. Seems like they're trying to put together an exciting team to watch.

In reality I'd say we probably either sneak into the playoffs or just miss again. Depends on injuries and how the defense plays out. I think Shero might have one more move left to make on defense. 

Pretty much what everyone else has said so far -- I think we're either a bubble playoff team, or one that just squeaks in, perhaps the 7th or 8th seed.  Injuries are really going to be the key question.  I think we're pretty solid when fielding our full roster as it exists on paper, but we're still not really that deep, at least not enough to withstand a key injury to someone like Camalleri again, so it that were to happen I think we miss out again just by a little.  We also gotta hope that Cory is able to play close to or at the level he did last year.  I know that's asking a lot, but there's not much to suggest he'll see some huge dropoff.  His late season injury last year doesn't scare me too much, and there really hasn't been any word or talk of it, so I see no reason to believe that it would hinder him in any way.

I agree with most that we'll probably be a bubble team similar to last year, I'm sure the D will struggle a bit with the loss of Larsson- and Cory's stats may take a hit as well. We know Cam is likely to miss a chuck of games, so Shero may have a hard decision to make come trade deadline as to buy or sell. Not that we have a ton of guys who would be attractive as rentals to a contender...

But instead of standings really there are other things I'm hoping to see this season:

• Hall/Henrique chemistry live up to it's hype
  • Palmieri repeat last year's performance
  • Severson take a big step forward
  • Boucher establish himself as a clear-cut NHL caliber scorer

So, Playoffs would be great albeit a longshot, but either way there are definitely some things that could make this season a success regardless of record. 

I'm saying we will be a playoff bubble team. I really don't think losing Larsson is going to have that big an effect on our D overall, and we may actually have a semi-useful bottom 6.

Thing I am worried is Cammy's injury situation.  If he can play 60+ games, then I feel a lot better.  However with the guy seemingly made out of glass, if he goes down for a longer than average (even for him) amount of time like last year then we will have a bit of trouble keeping in the playoff picture again.  I do not expect Henrique and Palmieri to repeat their goal scoring performance, so without Cammy we might still struggle to score even with Hall in the lineup.

Like what Shero's done so far, but I'm not sure how much better the Devils will be at getting SOG and limiting opposing SOG...which was a serious problem last season.  They got outshot by a ton.

Right now I don't think they'll be that much better from a points standpoint than they were last year...especially if Cory has an off-year or Cammalleri misses a lot of games (the latter seems guaranteed).  But I think Shero's taking steps in the right direction.  One more season and I think we'll be able to talk playoffs with more confidence.  

Big loss on opening night; Hall is kept off the score-sheet and the Devils get blown out 5-1. Start off slow, as is tradition, with a 2-6-2 record in their first ten. But chemistry develops between Henrique and Hall, and a mystery player we have not yet thought of steps up in a big way. Devils tear through December and January, owning the 2nd spot in the east. They falter a bit down the stretch, where the lack of a top defensive pairing begins to become more obvious. Make the playoffs as a WC1 and beat the Islanders in 7. Eventually lose in 5 to Florida

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Like what Shero's done so far, but I'm not sure how much better the Devils will be at getting SOG and limiting opposing SOG...which was a serious problem last season.  They got outshot by a ton.

Right now I don't think they'll be that much better from a points standpoint than they were last year...especially if Cory has an off-year or Cammalleri misses a lot of games (the latter seems guaranteed).  But I think Shero's taking steps in the right direction.  One more season and I think we'll be able to talk playoffs with more confidence.  

I'm curious -- how does adding a bonifide top-lin player and potentially a top-6 draft pick (Zacha) to your offense not equate to more wins? Do you think Henrique and Palmieri's inevitable goal drop off will be that significant where those additions cancel out?

I think the young guys like Zacha (as they are filtered in) will need some time to develop (think Parise's rookie season).  Not sure how the D will perform.  Like I said, I think we have to slog through one more year...but there's going to be plenty to get excited about, and we'll see some nice signs of things to come this year.  The Mets had a 79-83 season in 2014 where you could see that it was finally going to turn around soon...that's how I see 2016-17 playing out.

To put it another way:  I think this year has a lot of potential, from a "fun to watch" standpoint.  I don't think that aspect shows up in the point totals just yet.  But I think we'll be counting down the minutes to the start of the 2017-18 season, in the best way possible.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Runblad /Hawks just terminated contract. Maybe he's not very good at all?  Another kid that never lived up to promise.

My biggest concern is if Schneider can duplicate his results from last season. It will be a challenge for sure.  

We were 5th in our Conference and 9th overall in Goals Against.  These are also challenging numbers for a team to repeat.

1 hour ago, vadvlfan said:

Runblad /Hawks just terminated contract. Maybe he's not very good at all?  Another kid that never lived up to promise.

He'd play top 6 in NJ with ease. 

Playoffs or bust

We have to make it in with the addition of Hall and some upgrades on the bottom two lines

If Cory plays anywhere near the level he did last season, we are in the dance