Beer League

Crisis

We're in the most boring hockey month and this related to the hockey world so I figured I would post it here..

Any of you guys play beer league in NJ?  Our team (Whack-a-Mole) has been bouncing around a bit but mostly we play out of Flemington Ice Rink (formerly Aspen Ice).  We had stints at BSA in Bridgewater and Protec in Somerset.  Just wondering if I have or currently play against any fellow NJDevers.

Just now, Crisis said:

We're in the most boring hockey month and this related to the hockey world so I figured I would post it here..

Any of you guys play beer league in NJ?  Our team (Whack-a-Mole) has been bouncing around a bit but mostly we play out of Flemington Ice Rink (formerly Aspen Ice).  We had stints at BSA in Bridgewater and Protec in Somerset.  Just wondering if I have or currently play against any fellow NJDevers.

I play at Aspen too(Flying Aces).

Edited by NJDevils1214

6 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I play at Aspen too(Flying Aces).

I knew I would find someone!  The Aces might be our biggest rival. I like your locker room logo.  Definitely jealous about that one, but I think we've had your number for a few seasons now.  You guys are probably the most fun to play against.

Edited by Crisis

10 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yep, this month sure does suck for hockey. 

Semi-on-topic...I play in a beer league here in FL, roller though.  Placed ice for about a year as a young kid, never really liked it as much as roller.  Even when I lived in NY I played in roller leagues. 

You ever play at Inman in Edison?  A lot of Staten Island guys played there.  Hated their attitudes and accents.

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

I knew I would find someone!  The Aces might be our biggest rival. I like your locker room logo.  Definitely jealous about that one, but I think we've had your number for a few seasons now.  You guys are probably the most fun to play against.

Our warcry is "We beat Wack-A-Mole" lol. I actually wasnt there for that, it dates back to like season 2. I think you've had our number for a while now. Anymore, I'm just happy to play without any drama. I just want to go and have a good time and play some hockey, but some dudes just aren't as much about that. You guys, CBK, and the Bombers are pretty fun to play against. Always good games. The other ones can be hit or miss. 

27 minutes ago, Crisis said:

You ever play at Inman in Edison?  A lot of Staten Island guys played there.  Hated their attitudes and accents.

I played in Inman for a few years a while back. You ain't lying. Some of those guys were the worst.

I'm currently playing in 2 (roller) leagues. Tab Ramos in Aberdeen and Winding River in Toms River. I'll play as long as my body holds up ;)

Yeah, Inman is a general douchebag league all around, be it dek or roller....

I play pickup ice hockey with friends on Monday Nights, and a few other floor hockey leagues around the northern area during the week (sometimes Metuchen, sometimes Morristown, always in Bridgewater) and I get some pickup games on Sundays too, let's me balance between goalie D and forward...heh....its a big reason I barley care about the NHL anymore, too busy playing to watch......

On 8/6/2016 at 0:11 AM, Crisis said:

Nope, just at Bellmore-Merrick on LI.  It was an outdoor rink, and probably on the smaller side.  I got spoiled in FL playing on a regulation indoor rink with sport court when I first moved here.  It's since been changed and now I play at another small, outdoor rink again, which is brutal down here because it's either ridiculously hot, or it rains in the summer afternoons/evenings which means the games are canceled :(

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Nope, just at Bellmore-Merrick on LI.  It was an outdoor rink, and probably on the smaller side.  I got spoiled in FL playing on a regulation indoor rink with sport court when I first moved here.  It's since been changed and now I play at another small, outdoor rink again, which is brutal down here because it's either ridiculously hot, or it rains in the summer afternoons/evenings which means the games are canceled :(

How old are you?  I lived in North Bellmore from 86-2003.  Never played hockey, but played BMYA football and many of my friends played in the Roller Hockey league as did 2 of my younger brothers.  I'm 40 and my brothers are 34 and 32. Have a 35-year old brother as well, but he never played in the roller hockey league.

Edited by Matteau#32

3 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

How old are you?  I lived in North Bellmore from 86-2003.  Never played hockey, but played BMYA football and many of my friends played in the Roller Hockey league as did 2 of my younger brothers.  I'm 40 and my brothers are 34 and 32. Have a 35-year old brother as well, but he never played in the roller hockey league.

30.  I moved in 98 so I was fairly young.  Played there for about 5-6 years.  Your brothers may have been just ahead of my time, although back then I think it was a little more integrated age-wise than what it appears to be now (I was actually checking to their website and reading the rules a little).

I can remember when I first started and how young I was, probably 6 or 7, and some of the kids I played with seemed huge. 

It was pretty cool back then because all of the team names were NHL teams, and each team had pretty decent looking jerseys based on their colors.   Here's a fun fact - the first ever team I played on there was the Devils :D  I still have that jersey in the attic somewhere, along with the Islanders (twice) and the Kings at least once. 

I also used to love how they had the board on the side of the pro shop that kept track of the standings.  That was awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2016 at 0:11 AM, Crisis said:

I've been playing at that place on and off since the early-mid 90s when they only had an outdoor rink.  Eventually the people in the nearby condos got annoyed with the whistles at night, so the refs had to yell, "stop" to stop play.  Not long after that, they converted the one indoor tennis court building to what is now the hockey rink.  I interned there for a little while too in 2009, helping John with the day-to-day league administrative stuff...updating the website, scorekeeping, pressing jerseys, organizing league fee invoices, etc.

As for the Staten Island goombahs, I run the ice hockey league at Protec, and really the problem with the clowns at Inman is that there are no consequences, and the referees are just rink employees that do not have to get any kind of certification or training.  Suspensions are non-existent there.  I still play there anyway though because the rink is much better than Metuchen and anywhere else wouldn't be worth the drive for me.  At Protec, we stick with the USA Hockey rulebook, which says that any game misconduct is an automatic suspension of at least one game.  Players that I have to suspend a few times are eventually placed on my banned players list, and since we are a USA Hockey league, all of the referees are certified and trained every year.  We also do fun stuff on the website beyond the typical stats/standings like written recaps of every game, power rankings, and season recaps for the champions.  Also, the champions of our 20-game fall/winter season get to represent the league in an annual battle for Central Jersey adult hockey supremacy by taking on the champions of Flemington's league.  I just started up a women's adult league as well.  I don't want to spam it up too much, but if anyone is interested, you can check out our adult league at www.leaguelineup.com/protec, and the women's league at www.leaguelineup.com/njwhl.  We do weekly clinics for beginners or players looking to get back into it on Saturdays around noon too.  If anyone wants more info, PM me.

Edited by devilsfan26

That's awesome.  Thanks for the tidbit of history on Inman.  John is a great guy when it comes to running the league.  He always hooked us up with gear at a very reasonable price, but I have to say that he is waaay too accommodating.  It became such a pain in the ass to have just about every game rescheduled because someone from either team couldn't make it.  That and the 11:10 starts were killer.  But credit where credit is due, he has tons of leagues and teams at that place.  I'm sure it's a headache to keep things straight.

As far as Protec is goes, our team just won the championship at Flemington on Monday night and we are considering bouncing back to Protec.  Our team played their last fall/winter (not me though, recovering from knee surgery) and had a good time, but they said it could get a little dirty at times.

On 8/5/2016 at 3:42 PM, CommonDreads said:

Currently play for two beer league roller teams in North Arlington, NJ at ISCA, play for the Clovers in D7 and the River Rats in D8. Clovers completely suck, but we just won a championship with the Rats on Wednesday :D

I play on 2 teams here on li at skatesafe, but as a goalie I often get called and when I can I take advantage of the free games. Also won the championships early in July.   Off for the next few weeks untill the next season starts

On 8/5/2016 at 3:42 PM, CommonDreads said:

Currently play for two beer league roller teams in North Arlington, NJ at ISCA, play for the Clovers in D7 and the River Rats in D8. Clovers completely suck, but we just won a championship with the Rats on Wednesday :D

I play at ISCA as well.  Subbed for Cottage Bar Clovers.  Great bunch of guys! =P

CCCPgoalie.jpg

On 8/24/2016 at 8:56 AM, Crisis said:

That's awesome.  Thanks for the tidbit of history on Inman.  John is a great guy when it comes to running the league.  He always hooked us up with gear at a very reasonable price, but I have to say that he is waaay too accommodating.  It became such a pain in the ass to have just about every game rescheduled because someone from either team couldn't make it.  That and the 11:10 starts were killer.  But credit where credit is due, he has tons of leagues and teams at that place.  I'm sure it's a headache to keep things straight.

As far as Protec is goes, our team just won the championship at Flemington on Monday night and we are considering bouncing back to Protec.  Our team played their last fall/winter (not me though, recovering from knee surgery) and had a good time, but they said it could get a little dirty at times.

Yeah John is too nice for his own good at times.  Great guy to deal with, but I wish he would just make the schedule before the season starts and stick to it.  It would take a load off his shoulders too.  There's nothing he can really do about the 11:10 games though, the first game starts at 7:00 and for an adult league you can't really go earlier than that because too many people wouldn't be able to get there by then.  If you guys are looking to come back to Protec for the fall/winter season, I'll need to know probably by Wednesday because I'll be making the schedule then.  The captains meeting is Tuesday at 8pm. 

I really think the dirty plays are not that common at Protec.  Your team may have just had an unusual experience with a small sample size of only one season (although it is the longest season of the year).  I usually get compliments from teams coming from other leagues (especially Woodbridge and BSA) about how we keep the unruly behavior under control with suspensions and bans.  These incidents aren't nonexistent though of course, especially with new teams joining all the time, but if it becomes a pattern with the same player(s), they find themselves missing games and eventually not allowed to sign up again.

11 hours ago, MDPucks said:

Use to play beer league down here in Maryland in Columbia, Rockville, Laurel, and Baltimore 2000-2010.  Just got too expensive and family came first.

Where did you play in Baltimore?  I moved here a few years ago and only half assed looked where to play.  I used to live in Boston where hockey was really everywhere. Probably the only thing I really miss.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 29, 2016 at 8:20 AM, bostondevil11 said:

Where did you play in Baltimore?  I moved here a few years ago and only half assed looked where to play.  I used to live in Boston where hockey was really everywhere. Probably the only thing I really miss.

I live 8 miles south of Baltimore near BWI.  Mt. Pleasant rink is small dumpy municipal rink off of Northern & Perring Pkwys.  There's also a rink setup in a bubble at Patterson Park during the winter.  The best area rinks are in the burbs in Abington (Bel Air), Odenton (former Caps training rink), and the massive Gardens Ice House in Laurel which includes a curling center.  As in Boston with the MDC rink boom post-Orr there's a similar smaller boom happening in Montgomery County and Northern Virginia with the steep rise in the Caps popularity now being the toughest/most expensive ticket in the area.  It use to be that most rec hockey was ex-pats from New England, Upstate NY, the Great Lakes, and the Canadian Embassy.  Now the DC area is starting to produce locally grown talent that s made it way to the college and junior ranks consistently.