MadDog2020

Devils Ring of Honor

165 posts in this topic

Well, it would appear we are finally getting a Ring of Honor, as according to the Devils tickets page on their website: Friday

Jan. 6

Toronto Maple Leafs

Ring of Honor Night

7:30 PM I think it's a safe bet why this is happening against Toronto, but I'll leave you all to guess. Also there is a dedication of Marty's statue 10/22 and Star Wars night returns December 9: http://devils.nhl.com/club/m_page.htm?id=113937 So- who else is worthy of a spot in the Ring of Honor? I think Sarge should be the first inductee after Lou myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lou should get a banner as well for all he did for this franchise.


I agree.... That may come after he retires as an executive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Inaugural Ring of Fire Inductees:

MacLean

Brylin

Lemieux

Madden

Should they bother with the players who have their numbers already retired?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Inaugural Ring of Fire Inductees:

MacLean

Brylin

Lemieux

Madden

Agree with above.

Also Langs (the guy was a huge part of the 2003 Cup win and had a very good career here even though it didn't end cleanly).

Rafalski

You can make a case for Chico (on and off the ice) and Pandolfo.  No one else is jumping out at me, though I'm sure some will make cases for Richer, Terreri, maybe some others.

2 minutes ago, roomtemp said:

Should they bother with the players who have their numbers already retired?

I say no.  To me the Ring should be for the guys who fall short of deserving to have their numbers retired.  The jersey retirement is the ultimate honor (for a player, anyway). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought initially Lou himself would be going in as the first inductee (which would make a certain amount of sense), but the more I think about it, the more I think that Lou doing the inducting of the inaugural class is the reason for the game being against the Leafs (obviously Lou will get his banner at some point down the road). Anyone think coaches will be included? If we're going to have coaches too, you gotta have all three of our Cup winners in Lemaire, Robinson, and Burns.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I thought initially Lou himself would be going in as the first inductee (which would make a certain amount of sense), but the more I think about it, the more I think that Lou doing the inducting of the inaugural class is the reason for the game being against the Leafs (obviously Lou will get his banner at some point down the road). Anyone think coaches will be included? If we're going to have coaches too, you gotta have all three of our Cup winners in Lemaire, Robinson, and Burns.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, gotta put all three of those coaches in if it's open to coaches.  Some others did some nice things (Schoenfeld in '87-'88 of course, deBoer's first season here), but no one really fits the bill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree with above.

Also Langs (the guy was a huge part of the 2003 Cup win and had a very good career here even though it didn't end cleanly).

Rafalski

You can make a case for Chico (on and off the ice) and Pandolfo.  No one else is jumping out at me, though I'm sure some will make cases for Richer, Terreri, maybe some others.

I say no.  To me the Ring should be for the guys who fall short of deserving to have their numbers retired.  The jersey retirement is the ultimate honor (for a player, anyway). 

2017-18 Ring of Honor Inductees:

Langs

Richer

Rafalski

Muller

 

2018-19 Inductees:

Chico

Terreri

Pandolfo

White

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

2017-18 Ring of Honor Inductees:

Langs

Richer

Rafalski

Muller

 

2018-19 Inductees:

Chico

Terreri

Pandolfo

White

Not sure about Muller.  It got SO ugly with Muller at the end (though that wasn't all his fault), and though he played in just about every game possible while he was here (he missed just four regular season games), I can't explain what it is that's missing.  It seems like the only reason to put him in is because he put up pretty good offensive numbers (in a high-scoring era...the numbers look more impressive now than they really were, though he did play on some god-awful Devils teams, especially early on).  Despite some of Richer's struggles on and off the ice (we all know about his depression issues), it really seems like that was a trade that worked out nicely for both teams...Richer was a big part of the team's rise to the Cup.  Muller helped out Montreal as well.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see Doc go in as well. I went a little off the traditional board for my guesses and was thinking Sarge, Lemaire, Doc, Chico, and the Crash Line as a unit.

im glad to see we're finally doing something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else think the Ring of Honor is stupid?  To me it's just another way to celebrate mediocrity.  Ok, that's not the right word, but it's kind of like celebrating 2nd place.  Ok, again, wrong choice of words, because I really couldn't be any happier to have had the guys on our team of the names who have been mentioned so far, they definitely contributed to the success of our team and were good players, but I think the retiring of jerseys should be the only commemoration teams do.  It's the same way I feel about the Hall of Fame.  A guy either is, or isn't, Hall of Fame worthy.  You don't let someone in just because in a given year there might not be any other eligible more worthy players.  Same thing here.  If the guy wasn't absolutely spectacular and deserving of a number in the rafters, then I'm sorry but enough is enough.  We don't need to water it down and diminish the accomplishments of those who were truly great.  I know it sounds kinda harsh, but I guess I just believe in keeping special things just that, special.  If we have a Ring of Honor now as a 2nd place to the retiring of jersey numbers, what's next, "Vault of Valor", where we celebrate the best 3rd and 4th line checkers/grinders we've ever had on our team?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, thelastonealive said:

I'd like to see Doc go in as well. I went a little off the traditional board for my guesses and was thinking Sarge, Lemaire, Doc, Chico, and the Crash Line as a unit.

im glad to see we're finally doing something like this.

You can definitely make a case for McKay and Holik.  McKay was a guy who got the absolute most out of his talents here...obviously was terrific during the 95 Cup run, and from 97-98 to 00-01 was a surprising offensive contributor...in 288 GP, he put in 80 goals and added 87 assists...about 45 points per 82 GP...pretty impressive for a guy who wasn't noted for his offense. 

Holik had some playoff fizzles when asked to be one of the main offensive cogs, but he had a way of playing well and doing whatever was asked of him...he was a +134 as a Devil and put in 10 solid years here.  Yeah, he went to the Rangers...so be it.  Guy still had a terrific career as a Devil.

15 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Anyone else think the Ring of Honor is stupid?  To me it's just another way to celebrate mediocrity.  Ok, that's not the right word, but it's kind of like celebrating 2nd place.  Ok, again, wrong choice of words, because I really couldn't be any happier to have had the guys on our team of the names who have been mentioned so far, they definitely contributed to the success of our team and were good players, but I think the retiring of jerseys should be the only commemoration teams do.  It's the same way I feel about the Hall of Fame.  A guy either is, or isn't, Hall of Fame worthy.  You don't let someone in just because in a given year there might not be any other eligible more worthy players.  Same thing here.  If the guy wasn't absolutely spectacular and deserving of a number in the rafters, then I'm sorry but enough is enough.  We don't need to water it down and diminish the accomplishments of those who were truly great.  I know it sounds kinda harsh, but I guess I just believe in keeping special things just that, special.  If we have a Ring of Honor now as a 2nd place to the retiring of jersey numbers, what's next, "Vault of Valor", where we celebrate the best 3rd and 4th line checkers/grinders we've ever had on our team?

No, because I think it's nice to have a place where the "not as obvious" guys (players in particular) who clearly contributed get some recognition...I don't think of it as some Hall-Of-Fame (though many teams DO have their own H-O-Fs, where merely good, consistent players who meant a lot to their fanbases are enshrined...say, a guy like Ed Kranepool for the Mets).  I would love to take my daughter (she's 8 years old today...damn!) to some kind of room or hall with player exhibits, where I can tell her about some terrific former Devils who may not have been flashy superstars, but were important figures in franchise history.  I agree, the jersey retirements are special and for the very best/most worthy...I would never want to see that cheapened.  After Elias, I have no idea who could possibly be worthy at this point...I'd be basing it all on "what ifs" and "maybes".  But I think a Ring Of Honor is a very cool, and most definitely separate, entity.  If done right, I think it could be a lot of fun to check out. 

All of the guys that have been mentioned so far have been memorable, and some of them put in a lot of games here and have some dedicated fans (even if they weren't necessarily the best players).  Holik had over 900 GP (regular season and playoff) here.  McKay had 876, Brylin 874.  Obviously not the sole reason to put guys in a Ring of Honor, but these guys were a part of things and each had signature moments (as did others).  I think most of the names in prior posts deserve some recognition.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure about Muller.  It got SO ugly with Muller at the end (though that wasn't all his fault), and though he played in just about every game possible while he was here (he missed just four regular season games), I can't explain what it is that's missing.  It seems like the only reason to put him in is because he put up pretty good offensive numbers (in a high-scoring era...the numbers look more impressive now than they really were, though he did play on some god-awful Devils teams, especially early on).  Despite some of Richer's struggles on and off the ice (we all know about his depression issues), it really seems like that was a trade that worked out nicely for both teams...Richer was a big part of the team's rise to the Cup.  Muller helped out Montreal as well.   

Wasn't Muller upset because of the contract the Devils took on when Stevens was awarded to the Devils?  It was between him and Lou for the most part, and not the organization.

Maybe switch out Muller with Driver or McKay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed; a Ring of Honor isn't a watered down thing; it's a celebration of our history; without having to retire every jersey number...

A place where you can relive stories about the crash line (Randy McKay, Mike Peluso, Bobby Holik) and the likes, etc...    you'd never retire their jersey.   But a place to document and celebrate stories around a few seasons; or part of an era, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You can definitely make a case for McKay and Holik.  McKay was a guy who got the absolute most out of his talents here...obviously was terrific during the 95 Cup run, and from 97-98 to 00-01 was a surprising offensive contributor...in 288 GP, he put in 80 goals and added 87 assists...about 45 points per 82 GP...pretty impressive for a guy who wasn't noted for his offense. 

Holik had some playoff fizzles when asked to be one of the main offensive cogs, but he had a way of playing well and doing whatever was asked of him...he was a +134 as a Devil and put in 10 solid years here.  Yeah, he went to the Rangers...so be it.  Guy still had a terrific career as a Devil.

No, because I think it's nice to have a place where the "not as obvious" guys (players in particular) who clearly contributed get some recognition...I don't think of it as some Hall-Of-Fame (though many teams DO have their own H-O-Fs, where merely good, consistent players who meant a lot to their fanbases are enshrined...say, a guy like Ed Kranepool for the Mets).  I would love to take my daughter (she's 8 years old today...damn!) to some kind of room or hall with player exhibits, where I can tell her about some terrific former Devils who may not have been flashy superstars, but were important figures in franchise history.  I agree, the jersey retirements are special and for the very best/most worthy...I would never want to see that cheapened.  After Elias, I have no idea who could possibly be worthy at this point...I'd be basing it all on "what ifs" and "maybes".  But I think a Ring Of Honor is a very cool, and most definitely separate, entity.  If done right, I think it could be a lot of fun to check out. 

All of the guys that have been mentioned so far have been memorable, and some of them put in a lot of games here and have some dedicated fans (even if they weren't necessarily the best players).  Holik had over 900 GP (regular season and playoff) here.  McKay had 876, Brylin 874.  Obviously not the sole reason to put guys in a Ring of Honor, but these guys were a part of things and each had signature moments (as did others).  I think most of the names in prior posts deserve some recognition.

I see your points.  I guess I would just prefer to leave the showing/remembering to videos and your memory bank, but I do understand the reasons why people would want an area dedicated to this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flyers have their own HOF and they go as far as to make them almost like pseudo-retirement nights with specialty jerseys and a huge pre-game ceremony.  Last year I think was Rod Brind'Amour and the year before that I think Lindros and Leclair shared their night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always hard to start one of these things 30-35 years in, too many guys who need to be in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I like the ring idea. I think it should start with Lou and Dr. McMullen. 


Ah good call, McMullen should be in... As much of a curmudgeon as he could be, he brought the franchise to NJ and should be recognized appropriately for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Like the ring of honor idea.  Just wondering where it will be displayed inside the arena. 

my guess will be in front of the 100 sections, above the suites

Edited by jagknife
had to reference the seating chart for a mistake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Flyers have their own HOF and they go as far as to make them almost like pseudo-retirement nights with specialty jerseys and a huge pre-game ceremony.  Last year I think was Rod Brind'Amour and the year before that I think Lindros and Leclair shared their night.

I ended up at Simon Gagne night against the Kings last year.

I too like the idea of the Ring of Honor.  Easy way to acknowledge a lot of guys who made significant contributions to the franchise without getting silly with the jersey retirements.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Anyone else think the Ring of Honor is stupid?  To me it's just another way to celebrate mediocrity.  Ok, that's not the right word, but it's kind of like celebrating 2nd place.  Ok, again, wrong choice of words, because I really couldn't be any happier to have had the guys on our team of the names who have been mentioned so far, they definitely contributed to the success of our team and were good players, but I think the retiring of jerseys should be the only commemoration teams do.

I see it as the opposite, I think it's a good way to honor our past without cheapening the jersey retirement ceremonies. It's putting people in the building on a bleak week in January, and if anything, adds value to our jersey retirement ceremonies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Lateralous said:

I ended up at Simon Gagne night against the Kings last year.

I too like the idea of the Ring of Honor.  Easy way to acknowledge a lot of guys who made significant contributions to the franchise without getting silly with the jersey retirements.   

fvck, could you imagine if the Rangers got this idea... they're have one every. single. night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now