2016 NJDevs Survival Football

aylbert

The rules to survival football are quite easy.   Each week, pick one team to win their game - no spreads, just win.   You can only use that team once though for the year... after that, you must pick a new team to win.    We do double elimination...  so you can afford to be risky up front or you can follow the crowd with the odd on favorites, etc...  it's your call.

Picks are due before the 1PM Sunday game (so if you miss the Thursday game, no biggie... you just can't pick the winner after the fact - it won't let you.  ha)

Edited by aylbert

Week 1: It's impossible to not survive week one - no one is that bad; you get two strikes

This year we have ten entrants, and two strikes.

DD56, Eaglejelly and Flame (along with 1.99% of Yahoo players) On squeaked by with a 12-10 win by the Seahawks over the Dolphins
Big Blue and Masked Folly also snuck by with the Packers (1.8% of yahoo) defeating the Jaguars 27-23

Swamps went with the Ravens (19.53) over the Bills (13-7)
Goodell's Gestapo went with the Texans (0.16%) over the Bears (23-14)
Aylbert went with the Eagles (1.27%) over the Browns (29-10)

Leeds and RSC take their first strike as they went with the underdog Colts (0.09%) over the Lions (7.34%) ---  the Lions won in a high scoring affair 39-35.

ALSO: I checked and the league settings are correct. It's group id 3078, passsword: elias       All lowercase.

I believe you can still join and just take a strike for week 1.

Edited by aylbert

Week 2: Bueller?  Bueller?

Week 2 is in the books;  and Leeds and RSC bow out without picks after getting their first strike week 1 with their Colts picks.

Goodell's Gestapo took a strike with the Seahawks losing to the Rams 9-3; as Aylbert took a strike with the Lions losing 16-15 to the Titans

Big Blue, DD56, Eaglejelly and Swamps all remain perfect with the Panthers win over the 49ers -  46-27. 
Flame On remains flawless as the Jets defeated the Bills, 37-31
and lastly Masked is also 2 for 2, with the Cowboys over the Redskins, 27-23.

Edited by aylbert

Week 3: Masked makes a folly, Miami almost does too

Week 3 is in the books and the bet against Cleveland strategy showed signs of faltering in OT...  fortunately, a bad Miami team wasn't as bad as Cleveland (with Cody Parkey missing three field goals); Miami took it in OT 30-24...  to the benefit of BIg Blue, DD56, Eaglejelly, Swamps and Goodell's Gestapo.

Flame On and Aylbert also notched a correct pick; with the Cowboys dispatching the Bears 31-17.

Masked Folly took a strike with the Cardinals loss to those Shady led Bills, 33-18.

Week 4: You can't always bet against the Bears, and never pick the Lions?

Flame On took a loss with the Lions losing to the Bears 17-14...   the only other Lions pick this season was Aylbert's week 2 pick which soured as well - with them falling to the Titans 16-15.

Big Blue, DD56, Eagle Jelly and Swamps went with the Redskins over the lowly Browns  31-20.
Aylbert went with the Bengals over the Dolphins, 22-7
Goodell's Gestapo took the Cowboys over the 49ers, 24-17
Masked Folly went with the Vikings over the Giants, 24-10

At the quarter poll:

Perfect
Big Blue
DD56
Eaglejelly
Swamps

1 strike
Flame On - week 4 (Lions)
Masked Folly - week 3 (Cardinals)
Aylbert - week 2 (Lions)
Goodell's Gestapo - week 2 (Seahawks)

Dead
Leeds - week 2
RSC - week 2

Week 5: Bye bye Goodell's Gestapo and Masked Folly

We lost two this week with their second strike.  Masked Folly went down with a non-pick whimper.   But Goodell's Gestapo swung hard with the Rams over the Bills; and took it on the chin,   Bills-30, Rams-19.

Everyone else did just fine this week.  Big Blue, DD56, Swamps and Flame On went with the Pats-33 over the Browns-13  (So that strategy is still paying off); EagleJelly went with the Steelers-31 over the Jets-13; and Aylbert went with the Colts-29 over the Bears-23.

Week 6: Those Steelers Flame Out (or On?)

Week 6 is in the books...  and the Dolphins upset over the Steelers left Flame On dead...  while Big Blue and DD56 took their first strike.

Eaglejelly remains flawless with Shady and the Bills spanking the 49ers, 45-16
Swamps is also perfect still, with the Titans winning a close one against the Browns, 28-26.   Eventually the Browns will win one.
Aylbert (with 1 strike) survived another week, with the Cardinals embarrassing the Jets, 28-3...  just take a seat Fitzpatrick.     

7 hours ago, aylbert said:

Week 6: Those Steelers Flame Out (or On?)

Week 6 is in the books...  and the Dolphins upset over the Steelers left Flame On dead...  while Big Blue and DD56 took their first strike.

Eaglejelly remains flawless with Shady and the Bills spanking the 49ers, 45-16
Swamps is also perfect still, with the Titans winning a close one against the Browns, 28-26.   Eventually the Browns will win one.
Aylbert (with 1 strike) survived another week, with the Cardinals embarrassing the Jets, 28-3...  just take a seat Fitzpatrick.     

It won't be this week...it'll be next week when they play the Jets :rolleyes:

Week 7: The Bengals defeated the Browns... everyone rejoiced.
A day early; and I'll keep it short.   Everyone but Aylbert picked the Bengals.
So everyone lives another week with that win- except Aylbert he moved on as the Broncos defeated the Texans on MNF.

Edited by aylbert

On 10/19/2016 at 0:12 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

It won't be this week...it'll be next week when they play the Jets :rolleyes:

Tried to warn you ayl but you wouldn't listen :P

Kinda wished I'd picked the damn Browns except I didn't want to do it while the Jets had a .2% chance of getting to 5-5 by the bye.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Week 8: We all are Vikings fans; except Aylbert

So the week is done except for MNF.  I'll recap how the picks went.   Aylbert survives another week with the Jets squeaking by the Browns 31-28.   It took Hasan bragging about his foresight to get the Jets motivated enough to not lose to an impossibly bad team.    I can ramble on quite a bit because that's all we have.  So since you're reading this... the Eagles... UGHHHHHHHHHHHH...  they need a wide receiver desperately.  

Eaglejelly, Swamps, BigBlue and DD56 all took strikes as the Vikings lost to the Bears on MNF.   We say farewell to BigBlue and DD56 (both going out on the same picks - Steelers week 6 and Vikings week 8).   Never offer the trick option with 'trick or treat'.   

We're down to three - in true survival mode...  pick wrong and you're dead

Aylbert - 1 strike (week 2: Lions lost to Titans)
Eaglejelly - 1 strike (week 8: Vikings lost to Bears)
Swamps - 1 strike (week 8: Vikings lost to Bears)

Edited by aylbert

Eh well this week was a pain in the ass to pick anyway...not enough trust in the Jets obviously.  Denver and Dallas were eh options too.  I hate picking division road games but figured the Bears with Cutler back would be enough of a tire fire and the Vikes would rebound after the Philly game.  Maybe not.

Week 9: Three paths to survival

We wrap up the week early; with no need to look at MNF.    Swamps went populist (#1 choice of week 41.11% of Yahoo picks) and advanced with the Cowboys over those winless Browns, 35-10.   Eaglejelly went with the Chiefs over the Jaguars, 19-14 (#2 choice of the week at 33.12%).   Aylbert fortunately skipped the third most popular as Green Bay (#3 7.16%) lost the colts 31-26.    Aylbert instead went with the fourth most popular, as the Saints (#4, 5.34%) defeated the 49ers 41-23.

On to Week 10!  

Edited by aylbert

Week 10: The Final Two

Week 10 is done; just like Aylbert... who took the Chargers as Miami defeated them with a last minute pick six victory 31-24.  

EagleJelly stuck to the winning script; taking the Ravens to easily defeating the Browns, 28-7
Swamps moves on as the Cardinals narrowly defeated the 49ers with a gaming winning field goal as time expired; 23-20

Aylbert stashes his third place trophy and pouts;  who will survive?

Week 11: Eaglejelly is the lone survivor
It's fitting on Survivor Series; Eaglejelly winds up becoming the lone survivor and taking the crown with his Giants pick as they defeated the Bears, 22-16.
NJDevs4978 lost a close as the Bucs bested the Chiefs, 19-17.

Third place: Aylbert (W2-Lions, W10-Chargers)
Second place: NJDevs4978 (W8-Vikings, W11-Chiefs)
WINNER: Eaglejelly (1 strike, W8-Vikings)

Congrats Eaglejelly!

Edited by aylbert

18 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Guess I shoulda stuck with the anti-Browns strategy a little longer :P  I don't like getting burned by division road games though, and I already made that mistake before with the Vikes-Bears.

Oh well congrats eaglejelly.

4 hours ago, aylbert said:

Week 11: Eaglejelly is the lone survivor
It's fitting on Survivor Series; Eaglejelly winds up becoming the lone survivor and taking the crown with his Giants pick as they defeated the Bears, 22-16.
NJDevs4978 lost a close as the Bucs bested the Chiefs, 19-17.

Third place: Aylbert (W2-Lions, W10-Chargers)
Second place: NJDevs4978 (W8-Vikings, W11-Chiefs)
WINNER: Eaglejelly (1 strike, W8-Vikings)

Congrats Eaglejelly!

Thank you!:dance:

After the fist half I was sure that picking the Giants was going to be my downfall

Edited by aylbert