NJDevs '16-17 Fantasy Hockey

NJDevs4978

4 hours ago, aylbert said:

Meanwhile 5 of us are "fighting" for 4th place...   as 4.5 points separates 4th-8th 

Yeah that's the drama down the stretch...my team finally shook red for the pole position it would appear.  I'm gonna enjoy this one more than any other of the hockey leagues I've won here, both because I'm finally back on top after the four straight years of channeling the '90's Buffalo Bills (finishing second each time), but also because it was red and he gave up Eichel trying to win - though it is ironic he traded Eichel to the team who SHOULD have drafted him to begin with two years ago :P 

Really I can't blame him for selling out though, it did almost work - fortunately Jake Allen took his head out of his ass in time to get my goaltending going.  I was fortunate I drafted really well - especially late - that I didn't have to make a ton of trades.  The funny thing is I probably didn't even need Gaudreau in hindsight (couldn't have known that at the time with how close goals and GWG were) but boy did he produce after the change of scenery :lol: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah that's the drama down the stretch...my team finally shook red for the pole position it would appear.  I'm gonna enjoy this one more than any other of the hockey leagues I've won here, both because I'm finally back on top after the four straight years of channeling the '90's Buffalo Bills (finishing second each time), but also because it was red and he gave up Eichel trying to win - though it is ironic he traded Eichel to the team who SHOULD have drafted him to begin with two years ago :P 

Really I can't blame him for selling out though, it did almost work - fortunately Jake Allen took his head out of his ass in time to get my goaltending going.  I was fortunate I drafted really well - especially late - that I didn't have to make a ton of trades.  The funny thing is I probably didn't even need Gaudreau in hindsight (couldn't have known that at the time with how close goals and GWG were) but boy did he produce after the change of scenery :lol: 

Yea...   trust me, I was watching him.    I still make that trade both times.    I typically draft really well.   I was relatively happy with my draft (even after losing some high draft picks in pre-draft trades), and I'm relatively happy with my performance.   I tried replacing Stamkos too late, and Kopitar and Gaudrea should have done it.  Just bad luck, I'll take that.

Players dropped (though everyone you had is still eligible for today) and add/drops locked...we're one day away from putting a wrap on this season.  But since moves no longer impact this season, I re-opened trading if you want to do offseason moves to shift around keeper eligibles and draft picks.

Zamboni gets a cookie for having only one player I needed to drop lol - he'd actually divested completely but for some reason he picked up Couture late in the season, maybe didn't realize he wasn't keeper eligible (4th round pick from Sworn Defenders).

Edited by NJDevs4978

On 4/8/2017 at 3:05 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Son of a bitch I was hoping people had forgotten that :lol:

That annoyed me mostly cause a couple of you let him go and red was right smack in front of me in the draft so I knew he wasn't letting that low-hanging fruit get by :P

Even though I've had a consistent level of success and red's finished 2nd and 3rd in the last three years, there has at least been a certain amount of parity in who actually wins the league since we've gone to this 14-team keeper format.  2014 Zamboni in his first season wins the league.  2015 NJDefenders goes worst to first Leicester City-style (and then like Leicester goes back to obscurity the next year).  This year Eaglejelly went from worst to third which isn't too bad either.  

And like I said before the draft pick trading this year worked pretty well, there probably would have been more of it if me and red didn't run away and hide from everyone else for the most part, but usually the leagues are closer than this year (last year was decided by one point, the year before by five) :)  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Players dropped (though everyone you had is still eligible for today) and add/drops locked...we're one day away from putting a wrap on this season.  But since moves no longer impact this season, I re-opened trading if you want to do offseason moves to shift around keeper eligibles and draft picks.
Zamboni gets a cookie for having only one player I needed to drop lol - he'd actually divested completely but for some reason he picked up Couture late in the season, maybe didn't realize he wasn't keeper eligible (4th round pick from Sworn Defenders).

Yeah that's it. It was a shot in the dark that I could snag a great keeper. But no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall, considering this was my first real league I was in, can someone give me a overall grade on my performance? I'm interested to see what you guys thought. I'll admit, sometimes I did feel like I wasn't fully up to par as you guys were, but I feel I had a decent run staying in top 5 around midway of the season. I'll take any criticism and feedback. 

6 hours ago, Ralliart90 said:

Overall, considering this was my first real league I was in, can someone give me a overall grade on my performance? I'm interested to see what you guys thought. I'll admit, sometimes I did feel like I wasn't fully up to par as you guys were, but I feel I had a decent run staying in top 5 around midway of the season. I'll take any criticism and feedback. 

Looking back at the first page of this thread I take it you were Devils Advocate.

I thought the Schiefele-Price trade was bold (and figured Price would rebound after the coaching change) but I didn't really think you needed it since you already had Crawford, and your team log says you only wound up playing Price eight times so you probably would have been better off keeping Scheifele and maintaining your offensive numbers.  

Other than that it's hard to say how you did besides just looking at the standings, you certainly were close enough where a break here and tweak there and you could easily have finished top five or even top three with a little more.  Your team wasn't rated highly in SHP and GWG but those are practically wild-card categories and hard to really guarantee success in.  Faceoff wins are easier to improve on, both by getting centers that win more faceoffs and sneaking in wingers that can win them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

31 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Looking back at the first page of this thread I take it you were Devils Advocate.

I thought the Schiefele-Price trade was bold (and figured Price would rebound after the coaching change) but I didn't really think you needed it since you already had Crawford, and your team log says you only wound up playing Price eight times so you probably would have been better off keeping Scheifele and maintaining your offensive numbers.  

Yes I am Devils Advocate. Maybe I should have clarified that. Haha

I did the Price trade because I felt I was lacking in goalie stats. Mason had his moments, (who I ended up dropping) but I felt he was dragging me down. So picking up Price for me felt like a good idea. My points for offense were good, but I was hurting in goalie. I figured why not. I appreciate your feedback. 

1) Congrats NJDevs4978 on defending your lead.   At the trade deadline it certainly appeared to be shifting against you.   

2) Ralliart90- To add to NJDevs4978 remarks; I liked the trade player for player.   But giving up Scheifele for essentially a backup is going to hurt you.    If you're giving up Scheifele for Price; you should be wanting to commit to Price every game you can.   You gave up 23 games of Scheifele who posted 7g/19a/26pts +11, 4 power play points, 10 blocks, 2 GWG and 187 faceoff wins (since Feb 15) for those 8 games by Price.   Price played 19 games since the traded, posting a 13-6 record, 1.72gaa, .937 and 1 SHO during that stretch.    So to me, that's worth the trade.    Picking 8 games out of those 19 though; I imagine less so.    This is all after-the-fact...  but if you're trading one of your top players for a goalie, you are betting on that goalie.   Ride him until you are proven wrong.      

Draft wise; I like you snagging AO in front of Hasan...  that's his boy and I'm sure you messed his game plan at the start.  lol     Picking a goalie high is always risky; I can't fault you with grabbing Crawford; but if I'm picking a goalie high, I would have snagged Price or Rinne ahead of him.  Rinne performed almost identically to Crawford; so it's probably just personal preference.   Price was coming off an injury so there was risk in that pick.   3rd round; I'd be happy drafting Phil Kessell there.   You crushed the 4th round pick with Scheifele; who has been progressing nicely season over season.  I'm not the biggest Okposo fan; especially changing teams this year.  But again personal preference.  I would have went D here considering it was top of the 5th, and you wouldn't be picking until late in the 6th...   With you team through 4 rounds, I'd rather have Keith, Krug, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo over Okposo...    You made up for it by going D with your 6th (McDonagh), 8th (Campbell), 11th (Green)...    but the dropoff was steep.         

Also, if you're drafting a goalie in the 2nd round like you did; I'm a big fan of waiting to pick up redemption projects, etc.   I like grabbing Mason with your last pick.  Good potential value for almost no cost.   And he posted 26-21-8 2.66  .908% in the 20th round verse 32-18-4 2.55gaa  .918%  2SHO  in the 2nd round.    There's the risk of picking of goalies.    Star forwards, barring injury, don't miss like goalies do.  You gave up Toews, Pacioretty, Wheeler, Forsberg or on D players like John Carlson of Dustin Byfuglien.

But overall; a very solid effort for your first season.  You'll hone in on your personal style and preferences.   

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:10 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

Hasan Congrats...

Have to be honest, after the McDavid trade I thought I was money ( which is the only reason I would trade Eichel) , and when I went up by 10+ points soon after I thought I was going to run away and hide, then hasan gets 3 SO in a week and I never recovered!!

Its good to see Sworn Struggle a little after his 3 peat and thought it was crazy how he made trades to try to win, his team tanked, then trades those players for picks and his team gets hot!!

Fun season, especially when things got ugly for the Devs, this really kept me going...

Back to the drawing board...

A - It's a moot point anyway because Yahoo is being obstinate and doesn't actually allow off-season trades proper, even if you turn off the trade deadline. Unlike ESPN where you can actually do full off-season trades yourself, here when a season's over it's over until the next reboot in late August. If I had my druthers I'd move this to ESPN but it'd take a lot of legwork to add updated rosters and draft picks (probably more than it's worth), we'd lose the league history and I'm not even sure how everyone would feel about a site move.

B - If you still are curious about roster construction in the meantime, looks like the only way to see updated rosters is through player search (and on the normal version only, not through the app), drop down status and highlight a team, it'll show all F/D currently rostered by that team. Drop down that menu and switch to goalies to see eligible goalies registered by that team. That's another difference with ESPN btw, they actually list 'off-season' rosters, Yahoo only goes up to the last day of the season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

19 hours ago, redruM said:

Its good to see Sworn Struggle a little after his 3 peat and thought it was crazy how he made trades to try to win, his team tanked, then trades those players for picks and his team gets hot!!
Fun season, especially when things got ugly for the Devs, this really kept me going...
Back to the drawing board...

I'm in a better position this upcoming season than I was last season.  I paid too much in my pre-draft deals last season (and again wound up in 4th in 2015/16).  

It sucks losing my 2017 6th rounder but the trade itself doesn't read too bad now.    
I gave up my 6th and 20th of next season for Zamboni's 10th and Hasan's 14th.   (Renting Gaudreau and Kopitar, and flipping Gaudreau later)