Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

7 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

I appreciate the idea, but fvck Tortorella.

My sentiments exactly. The Jackets used to be my second team (I live in OH), but their move into Metro made it harder to root for them. Hiring Tortorella made it impossible. 

12 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Seems like the time to sell on Severson is.. well, now. Not saying he's going to bust but it's certainly trending that way.

Holy sh!t if we could land a center.

We already traded defense for offense with Hall.  You trade Severson and that leaves us really empty back there for years. Especially if we lose someone in expansion. Or we sign some more Lovejoy's. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 10:12 AM, MadDog2020 said:

Next year we'll get Rangers-Blackhawks at Wrigley Field. Would it honestly be surprising?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.  But, supposedly not next season but the following is the slate for the Rangers to play a road game in Michie Stadium at West Point.

On 1/5/2017 at 9:09 PM, hit the post said:

After tonight they will go on a major nose dive.

Sounds good to me.  They have now lost 3 of their last 4.

On 1/4/2017 at 8:22 PM, MadDog2020 said:

In the world of NBC, who invented this game, there are 7 teams that exist (PHI, NYR, DET, CHI, PIT, WAS, BOS). The other 23 (soon to be 24) teams exist only insofar as they provide competition to the NBC 7. I'm convinced at this point that if they couldn't pick one of those seven every year, they'd rather not even have the game. I'm shocked they had St. Louis this year. At least they were new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you expect?  Hockey does not draw very good ratings outside of the home markets.  The first NBC game this season is in 2 weeks, Rangers in Detroit at 12:30 before the NFC Championship game at 3:30.  Game will likely do a horrendous rating outside of the NY-NJ-CT and Michigan, Northern Ohio.  So, they want the big market teams otherwise it is not worth their time.  I agree with you about them not wanting the game if they can't have one of those 7.  If the NHL told them they want it to be Hurricanes-Wild, NBC would tell them they were not carrying the game, at least not on the OTA station.

40 minutes ago, Matteau#32 said:

What do you expect?  Hockey does not draw very good ratings outside of the home markets.  The first NBC game this season is in 2 weeks, Rangers in Detroit at 12:30 before the NFC Championship game at 3:30.  Game will likely do a horrendous rating outside of the NY-NJ-CT and Michigan, Northern Ohio.  So, they want the big market teams otherwise it is not worth their time.  I agree with you about them not wanting the game if they can't have one of those 7.  If the NHL told them they want it to be Hurricanes-Wild, NBC would tell them they were not carrying the game, at least not on the OTA station.

Oh I totally get this and agree with you,  but I can empathize with the 22-23 teams fans that just never get their shot. It's just too bad the NHL isn't the glamorous option the average joe will tune into. If the league is going to get even half of what they invest back from these games, it's going to be though these 7-8 teams. You might as well flush all that dough down the toilet if they were going to attempt to market an outdoor Canes - Panthers game. I just get frustrated when they try to angle it like this is a one in a lifetime opportunity for the players who do get to partake in these outdoor games. I'm sorry, but how many times has Patrick Kane played one of these? Don't feed me that bullsh!t. 

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

OT - ECHL but here's why goalies should stay in the crease, at last Houser.

http://www.bardown.com/echl-goalie-kos-opposing-goalie-with-one-massive-punch-1.648525

Yeah, the other guy seemed fine to leave his crease. 

That might be the best hockey based combination I have ever seen. And note the immediate taking of a knee to check if the guy was ok after he knocked him out. That's sportsmanship.