Around the League: 2016-17 edition

MadDog2020

Time for a new thread for a new season. To start it off, Jonathan Huberdeau signed a six year extension with Florida worth $5.9 million per season: https://www.google.com/amp/www.litterboxcats.com/platform/amp/2016/9/6/12823198/jonathan-huberdeau-florida-panthers-sign-six-year-extension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Time for a new thread for a new season. To start it off, Jonathan Huberdeau signed a six year extension with Florida worth $5.9 million per season: https://www.google.com/amp/www.litterboxcats.com/platform/amp/2016/9/6/12823198/jonathan-huberdeau-florida-panthers-sign-six-year-extension

Good deal overall, one of those that might be a slight overpay now but in 4 years could look like a steal. Florida had quite the offseason but for some reason i'm still not sold on them.

Sorry if someone posted this elsewhere but I haven't yet seen it...  Apologies if I'm jinxing anything but here goes: 

https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/islanders-in-discussions-with-stephen-gionta/200369266

The Islanders have had discussions with Stephen Gionta about bringing him in for a training camp tryout, reports Arthur Staple of Newsday, who says both sides are confident a deal will get done.

The two sides are talking about a PTO.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:21 PM, LittleBallofHate said:

Sorry if someone posted this elsewhere but I haven't yet seen it...  Apologies if I'm jinxing anything but here goes: 

https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/islanders-in-discussions-with-stephen-gionta/200369266

The Islanders have had discussions with Stephen Gionta about bringing him in for a training camp tryout, reports Arthur Staple of Newsday, who says both sides are confident a deal will get done.

The two sides are talking about a PTO.

It's Official - Stevie Gio has agreed to a tryout with the Isles. 

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=892561

Glad Gio's most likely gone, but he's a good guy and a warrior (albeit a small one), so I'm also glad he's being given another shot. I would've felt a little bad seeing him retire at his age or take a cheapo deal in the UK or KHL. Hope he makes it.

Edited by DJ Eco

Ruutu is getting a PTO with the Canucks: 

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed right wing Tuomo Ruutu, centre James Sheppard and goaltender Kevin Carr to professional try-out contracts.

From  http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=892593&utm_source=social&utm_medium=hootsuite&utm_campaign=&hootPostID=1512be8673b7e9cb2ef8d00ad356063c

Speaking of PTOs, sounds like the Devils are on the fence as to whether they will extend any (excerpt from Fire & Ice):  

Shero said no decision has been made yet on whether to extend any professional tryout offers (PTOs) to any veterans for camp.

“There’s nothing imminent right now,” Shero said. “That’s not to say if there’s the right guy and the right fit…”

“We have pretty good depth and competition for jobs.”

Listening to XM yesterday, Josh Cooper interviewed Michel Therien at a golf tournament and he called Max Paciaretti (sp?) the worst Captain in Canadians history?

Apparently no love lost there. Mr. Therien is on short leash himself.  Wonder if Pac asks for a trade? How can you go into the season with that comment? 

Listening to XM yesterday, Josh Cooper interviewed Michel Therien at a golf tournament and he called Max Paciaretti (sp?) the worst Captain in Canadians history?

Apparently no love lost there. Mr. Therien is on short leash himself.  Wonder if Pac asks for a trade? How can you go into the season with that comment? 

If Therrien really did say that, there's just no way that's a tenable situation as is.

15 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If Therrien really did say that, there's just no way that's a tenable situation as is.

The only reason it was brought up was because of what Torts.implied about Pac.  tearing to motivate him

On 9/14/2016 at 7:31 AM, vadvlfan said:

Therrien's an idiot, who should've been fired before they even thought about trading away Subban.

Igor then added that Valeri's agent added no comment other than that it is not final, and "all options remain open".

It sounds 100% like his agent is posturing to force Dallas to make a trade. Oh man, would he make a ton of sense on the Devils, if Shero could make another steal of a trade.

5 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Igor then added that Valeri's agent added no comment other than that it is not final, and "all options remain open".

It sounds 100% like his agent is posturing to force Dallas to make a trade. Oh man, would he make a ton of sense on the Devils, if Shero could make another steal of a trade.

I'm embarrassed to say there were actually a few minutes there right after the Schneider deal where I didn't know how to feel about it.  I spent the whole draft hoping Nichushkin would fall to our pick and he did.   

At this point, who would you be willing to send to Dallas for him?   I think he was getting a decent amount of time with Spezza and was still pretty underwhelming.   

12 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I'm embarrassed to say there were actually a few minutes there right after the Schneider deal where I didn't know how to feel about it.  I spent the whole draft hoping Nichushkin would fall to our pick and he did.   

At this point, who would you be willing to send to Dallas for him?   I think he was getting a decent amount of time with Spezza and was still pretty underwhelming. 

I'd probably low-ball them with a Reid Boucher 1-for-1, if they're *really* scared of losing him for nothing (per his agent). But my max offer would probably be Reid Boucher + Keith Kinkaid, OR Reid Boucher + our 2017 3rd Round Pick (of which we have 2).

Doesn't sound *great* but if the Dallas GM is desperate, you never know.

Edited by DJ Eco