Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Around the League: 2016-17 edition

Princeton beat #5 Penn State at Wells Fargo Center tonight! A really big deal for the Tigers program. So satisfying to see Penn State lose these Philly games, it drives me nuts seeing them trying to push their brand in the city. Their basketball team beat Michigan State at the Palestra a few weeks ago, and the media was talking it up as a huge victory for Penn State in this part of PA. Nice to see them fall on their face pushing their hockey team here, but even better for Princeton to get such a huge win on a big stage in a hostile environment. I really wanted to go but tickets were too pricey for me.

It's a good day for America every time Penn state loses, happy to hear it.

What's different about this year's all star weekend that it sucks so bad? No one cared about it leading up, there was no buzz surrounding it at all, and the atmosphere is terrible. I thought Columbus was ok and really hoped Nashville with what a huge success it was would turn the event around. Maybe not.

All-star weekends always suck and the game itself is a joke, so I don't know what's any different about this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Hall with a goal there... looked pretty nice but set up Jones a few times and he did nothing with it. Looks like the Devils out there.

17 minutes ago, lazer said:

imagine gretzky as devils coach haha

I would rather fornicate myself with a hot poker, stick needles in my eyes, and stand under the departure end of a runway just beyond the rotate point and let jets blow out my ear drums than have that man as coach...

[really hoping this was in jest]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

it is going to be a letdown for Hall to go back to the Devils roster.

I don't think so, he had a goal and 3 assists in 4 periods In a game with little defense. He set a couple of others up but they missed the goal like the Devils. 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:09 PM, Lateralous said:

In fairness, Yzerman scored a ton early in his career but it wasn't until he dialed it back on scoring and became more of a two way guy  that the Red Wings became a championship caliber team.  I'm by no means trying to start a Yzerman vs Elias debate but sometimes I think it gets held against Patrik that he played a two way game from essentially day one instead of showing that he could really pile up points (by forgetting the defensive zone) early in his career. 

Anyway, I would say being a point per game in '99-'00, scoring or assisting on what seemed like every major goal in the 2000 cup run and then finishing 3rd in the league in points in '00-'01 while having a ridiculous +45 is pretty damn dominant.  

As Yzerman spent his whole career with the Red Wings, which makes him a special rarity, a lot of the less "happier" parts of his career are understandably glossed over, but at one point (don't remember when exactly) the Wings were supposedly becoming so frustrated with Yzerman's not paying enough attention to his defense (Scott Bowman and Yzerman clashed initially) and later his leadership (after the Devils swept them in the 1995 SCF) that they seriously considered dealing him...of course, they Wings then won the Cup in 1997 and 1998, that all became water under the bridge. 

20 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

All-star weekends always suck and the game itself is a joke, so I don't know what's any different about this one.

Until they put something meaningful on the line the players will always look bored.

You'd think a million bucks would do it, but apparently not.

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Until they put something meaningful on the line the players will always look bored.

You'd think a million bucks would do it, but apparently not.

All-Star games in general just don't work in today's day and age...especially in ones for physical contact sports.  No one wants to get hurt playing in an exhibition game (too much on the line, and games played with crucial aspects of gameplay left out just aren't very compelling)...hell, a lot of players would rather use an ASB to rest up than take part...more than a few of them find the whole thing to be a bit of a hassle. 

They meant something when you couldn't see the players from out-of-town teams all that often...but that mystique is gone forever, and it's never coming back.  Baseball's the only kind of game that still works, from an AS standpoint, and even that game does nothing for me.  I find some of the skills competitions far more interesting than the games, and I don't really even tune into those that much.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Did no one else think Nashville last year was awesome? I thought after years and years of it really not mattering, last year's was fun and exciting. I didn't hate the year before in Columbus either, I thought the event was building some momentum. This year was entirely forgettable.

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

Did no one else think Nashville last year was awesome? I thought after years and years of it really not mattering, last year's was fun and exciting. I didn't hate the year before in Columbus either, I thought the event was building some momentum. This year was entirely forgettable.

Agree totally. It was kind of boring this time around. I don't like the 3 on 3 format either, just like I am not a fan of it in games. You're celebrating the stars of your league by playing a different game than the one they are stars of. 

I would add, 3 on 3  in a 5 minute overtime only makes sense because it makes it more likely that there will be a winner before resorting to the shootout, which is even further removed from the game. 

Edited by mfitz804

Nope. Sucked. I'm actually proud of the fact I didn't watch one minute of all-star weekend this year. Looks like I didn't miss anything.

Everything about and surrounding the ASG is boring no matter what kind of game they play, what players they send and what sappy-forced storylines are drawn out of it.  I haven't found a single ASG in 20 years that has really drawn me in and I think a lot of it is the same reasons that CR1976 listed in his post.

Outside out the ASG ever being in NJ again (it will have to eventually), I really wouldn't be upset over missing any years going forward.

True in other sports as well, I would add. the baseball ASG is especially bad. 

I've always been much more of a fan of the skills competition anyway. 

Everything about and surrounding the ASG is boring no matter what kind of game they play, what players they send and what sappy-forced storylines are drawn out of it.  I haven't found a single ASG in 20 years that has really drawn me in and I think a lot of it is the same reasons that CR1976 listed in his post.
Outside out the ASG ever being in NJ again (it will have to eventually), I really wouldn't be upset over missing any years going forward.

I wouldn't care if they ditched the all-star game altogether. All-star games are a giant waste of everyone's time. Players don't wanna go, fans don't wanna watch, and it just interrupts the season. I'd dance a jig if these stupid things are just abolished in sports across the board.

Just now, mfitz804 said:

True in other sports as well, I would add. the baseball ASG is especially bad. 

I've always been much more of a fan of the skills competition anyway. 

I don't watch ANY ASGs anymore, but as least the baseball version is a pretty fair representation of what you see in a regular season game (outside of starting pitchers only being allowed to pitch three innings and all of the substitutions).  Hockey is now NHL Jam, and basketball and football are played with all of the physicality removed.  No thanks.

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I wouldn't care if they ditched the all-star game altogether. All-star games are a giant waste of everyone's time. Players don't wanna go, fans don't wanna watch, and it just interrupts the season. I'd dance a jig if these stupid things are just abolished in sports across the board.

Won't happen as long as venues like hosting them, and now that you've got these skills competitions and whatnot, that's another day for fans to show up and pay up.  You've also got some players able to parlay appearances in these things into bonuses.  I'm actually fine with some kind of midseason break for guys to rest up a little though...but let it be just that.  A mental and physical break...maybe with that, you wouldn't have NBA players bailing on regular season games, for starters (or less of that, at least). 

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I have always told my friends that if I was commissioner instead of an ASG I would have each individual teams spend and entire weekend instead doing a bit of a "fan festival" sort of weekend.  Have one day where they watch the players have their own skills competition and then another day where they play an exhibition game like the team's past greats versus current players or something along those lines.  Have autograph sessions and the whole nine yards.  Fans would get into it, the teams would get closer to the fans and be able to sell more tickets to their fanbase and the players wouldn't have to travel.

I remember the Devils used to have a team skills competition around the ASG break years ago.  Last time they did it was like 2001 or 2002 but they were fun.

The ASG is a corporate money grab that, for all of our complaining, is a pretty solid revenue event for the league and players. I'd venture to guess the weekend makes as much as some stadium games because you've got two days worth of events to make people pay for. It's not going anywhere.

On January 29, 2017 at 4:42 PM, NJDevils1214 said:

Am I the only one getting depressed watching Horvat play?

We really have no idea if Lou/Conte would've taken Horvat. No guarantee. Might've picked another Chatam, Corrente, etc

Quebec City Islanders on the table again? What a mess. I bet they end up in Newark dragging 9,000 people out per game before they decide to give up on the area.

I always thought that ditching the All Star Game is such low hanging fruit to be used in CBA negotiations.  For example, in exchange for reducing the amount of revenue that goes to the players by a percent or two, players will no longer be obligated to go to the All Star Game.  I suppose though that it generates enough revenue that it's good for players and the owners, and even if it weren't a savvy negotiator like Fehr would see right through it.

That said, I wouldn't be totally shocked if the NFL ditches the Pro Bowl eventually. Nobody watches it or even goes to it.  And players can get pretty badly injured in it.   It probably cost Tyler Eiffert at least $1 million some time down the road.