Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Around the League: 2016-17 edition

11 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Or how the Canucks wear the Millionaires jersey.  That's a team that didn't even play in the NHL.

What made the whole Ottawa "let's just claim the old Sens' history as our own" thing memorable for me was that I remember some Ottawa fans actually saying "Our team has won more Cups than yours!" during the times the Devils faced them in the playoffs.  All I could think was "Are you fvcking SERIOUS with that?!" 

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Browns' history, records, and trademarks were all left with the city of Cleveland when the franchise moved as well- the plan was that the Browns would return as an expansion team a few years later. The Ravens began as a brand new franchise with its own history and records independent of the original Cleveland franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as that goes...I get it to some extent, but it's kind of weird that players who played as both the "old" Browns and Ravens are almost seen as having played for two different franchises...while the "new" Browns technically have nothing in common with the original Browns, outside of the unis and team nickname. 

I've always felt that former Rockies and Scouts players should have their stats listed with Devils players (you had Scouts who played as Rockies, Rockies who played as Devils, and one guy in Mike Kitchen who was a part of all them (drafted as a Scout, played for the Rockies and Devils)).  To me, Wilf Paiement's 41 goals in '76-'77 and 87 points in '77-'78 should be on the all-time franchise leaderboard, for single-season rankings.  That (and everything else Scouts and Rockies-related) are part of the franchise history.  The Devils have finally acknowledged some of their pre-NJ past (the murals and jerseys on display at the Rock), but they still operate as though the franchise debuted in 1982-83 as some kind of expansion team.  It's not a huge deal really, just something I've never really agreed with. 

DevsMan84    605
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What made the whole Ottawa "let's just claim the old Sens' history as our own" thing memorable for me was that I remember some Ottawa fans actually saying "Our team has won more Cups than yours!" during the times the Devils faced them in the playoffs.  All I could think was "Are you fvcking SERIOUS with that?!" 

As far as that goes...I get it to some extent, but it's kind of weird that players who played as both the "old" Browns and Ravens are almost seen as having played for two different franchises...while the "new" Browns technically have nothing in common with the original Browns, outside of the unis and team nickname. 

I've always felt that former Rockies and Scouts players should have their stats listed with Devils players (you had Scouts who played as Rockies, Rockies who played as Devils, and one guy in Mike Kitchen who was a part of all them (drafted as a Scout, played for the Rockies and Devils)).  To me, Wilf Paiement's 41 goals in '76-'77 and 87 points in '77-'78 should be on the all-time franchise leaderboard, for single-season rankings.  That (and everything else Scouts and Rockies-related) are part of the franchise history.  The Devils have finally acknowledged some of their pre-NJ past (the murals and jerseys on display at the Rock), but they still operate as though the franchise debuted in 1982-83 as some kind of expansion team.  It's not a huge deal really, just something I've never really agreed with. 

I agree.  I think the current Jets acknowledge the achievements of players during the time they were in Atlanta and I also believe the Flames acknowledge the achievements of their players during their time in Atlanta as well.  I also think Carolina does this as well.

I am not saying the Devils should wear throwback Scouts or Rockies jerseys, but at least acknowledge that they weren't like you said an expansion team in 1982.  With the McMullen logo it looks like the team might be finally heading in the direction of recognizing that the team existed prior to their move to NJ.

NJDevils1214    211

I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY surprised the NHL isn't doing anything about the latest Marchand slewfoot. The guy plays with reckless abandon and his continued dirty play can only signal he has no concern for the consequences of his actions. For some players the consequences of a dirty play or broken rule can last a lifetime. You don't even have to look back that far to see the Matt Cooke hit on Marc Savard that ended his career. On the street, his actions would be criminal. Does the NHL wait until he ends someones career to reel him in? I've never seen a player before with such talent, yet felt the need to frequently play with tactics widely considered so "below the belt".   

NJDfan1711    207
55 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY surprised the NHL isn't doing anything about the latest Marchand slewfoot. The guy plays with reckless abandon and his continued dirty play can only signal he has no concern for the consequences of his actions. For some players the consequences of a dirty play or broken rule can last a lifetime. You don't even have to look back that far to see the Matt Cooke hit on Marc Savard that ended his career. On the street, his actions would be criminal. Does the NHL wait until he ends someones career to reel him in? I've never seen a player before with such talent, yet felt the need to frequently play with tactics widely considered so "below the belt".   

Got a link?

Crisis    66
7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Got a link?

I think it's in this compilation

Mike Brown    92

I hope Ray gets Gelinas back.  If Moore is gonna be out, we could really use Gelinas on the PP.  He's not nearly as bad as people think.

MadDog2020    1,924
I hope Ray gets Gelinas back.  If Moore is gonna be out, we could really use Gelinas on the PP.  He's not nearly as bad as people think.

fvck that. Gelinas is terrible. Moore's been out for a month and hasn't been the least bit missed.

• Like 2

NJDfan1711    207
2 hours ago, Crisis said:

I think it's in this compilation

Which incident was the recent one that you were referring to though? 

Looking at that video compilation though, that's insane that he's done that so many times.  To be honest, it almost looks like that's how he was taught to skate and go into hits.  Not saying it's OK by any means, but he sure does a good job selling it and making it look "normal" and as if it was an accident.  

What was wrong with the hit at the 1 minute mark though?  It looked like a clean hip check to me.  And I loved at about the 2:40 mark the Penguin player axe chopped him with his stick after he tried to slewfoot him.  That's exactly what I would've done.  You wanna play like a bitch and cheap shot, be prepared for the same thing back you fvck.

NJDevils1214    211
9 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Which incident was the recent one that you were referring to though? 

Looking at that video compilation though, that's insane that he's done that so many times.  To be honest, it almost looks like that's how he was taught to skate and go into hits.  Not saying it's OK by any means, but he sure does a good job selling it and making it look "normal" and as if it was an accident.  

What was wrong with the hit at the 1 minute mark though?  It looked like a clean hip check to me.  And I loved at about the 2:40 mark the Penguin player axe chopped him with his stick after he tried to slewfoot him.  That's exactly what I would've done.  You wanna play like a bitch and cheap shot, be prepared for the same thing back you fvck.

Most recent is at 0:26, the Lightning player. He looks at him at least twice, so you can't even make the argument he didn't know he was there. 

Crisis    66
2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Most recent is at 0:26, the Lightning player. He looks at him at least twice, so you can't even make the argument he didn't know he was there. 

And he was fined $10k for the Kronwall incident that happened on 1/18

NJDfan1711    207
7 minutes ago, Crisis said:

And he was fined $10k for the Kronwall incident that happened on 1/18

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yeah both of those looked really blatant based on where they were on the ice and what was happening in the play.  I specifically thought the Kronwall one was awful, there was just no one else around him.

Edited by NJDfan1711

Mike Brown    92
1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

fvck that. Gelinas is terrible. Moore's been out for a month and hasn't been the least bit missed.

Moore is awful defensively, but he's useful on the power play.  Gelinas is at worst unreliable defenseively, and is even better than Moore on the power play.  Gelinas had a CFRel of 9.0 with the Devils last year.  Dude brings more positives than negatives.

njd3b1ink    28
1 hour ago, Mike Brown said:

Moore is awful defensively, but he's useful on the power play.  Gelinas is at worst unreliable defenseively, and is even better than Moore on the power play.  Gelinas had a CFRel of 9.0 with the Devils last year.  Dude brings more positives than negatives.

Not sure if you've watched many Colorado games this season, but Gelinas is straight up horrendous. He's getting Waived by the Avalanche....the Avalanche!  Probably one of the worst defenses in the league. But hey, at least he can shoot the puck into the glass harder than most in the league. 

• Like 1

2ELIAS6    84
5 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

I don't see how he really contributes anything to our defense that makes him worth taking back. the only thing he has to offer is that monster shot which isn't even accurate. I do not think we would be stupid enough to take him back, lets continue to move forward not backward to old pieces that didn't work while they were here the first time around.

jagknife    332
37 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I don't see how he really contributes anything to our defense that makes him worth taking back. the only thing he has to offer is that monster shot which isn't even accurate. I do not think we would be stupid enough to take him back, lets continue to move forward not backward to old pieces that didn't work while they were here the first time around.

Exactly, bringing back Gelly would be a Lou type move. No thanks.

mfitz804    1,441
5 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

But he was a 98% on the suck-o-meter.

• Like 1

MadDog2020    1,924
Roenick will be proud.

If Marleau wins a Cup before he retires, I hope he shows up at Roenick's house unannounced with the Cup and a case and just drinks beer out of the Cup in Roenick's yard until the case is finished or the cops are called, whatever happens first.

• Like 3

Martyisth3b3st    1,246
17 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

JESUS CHRIST LEAVE NOW.

• Like 2

Martyisth3b3st    1,246
15 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

Dude, take 5 minutes to read about what Avs fans have to say about Gelinas. He's the most hated person on the planet there.

He got some puck luck and had a fantastic shot in his first few years here. Lately, teams have realized that if you pressure him even a tiny bit at the point he'll turn the puck over. He's one of the worst players that's actively playing in the NHL. 

Chuck the Duck    201
49 minutes ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

Dude, take 5 minutes to read about what Avs fans have to say about Gelinas. He's the most hated person on the planet there.

He got some puck luck and had a fantastic shot in his first few years here. Lately, teams have realized that if you pressure him even a tiny bit at the point he'll turn the puck over. He's one of the worst players that's actively playing in the NHL. 

Exactly.  Admittedly, I'm not a Moneyball guy, and don't put a lot of stock in advanced stats.  Yes, they are a part of the game and should be looked at as part of making decisions on players.  But Gelinas is one of many examples as to why you can't rely on stats to tell the entire story of a player or a team. 

Gelinas is a slapshot, and nothing else.  Once teams figured out how to pressure and play him to prevent him from getting it off cleanly, he's useless out there.  The guy has no hockey sense, especially in his defensive end, and is a detriment at the NHL level.  That said, I'd take him on my men's league team anyday. 

Satans Hockey    724
On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

Until they put something meaningful on the line the players will always look bored.

You'd think a million bucks would do it, but apparently not.

I just watched the game and I already know these guys make a lot of money but they mentioned the million dollar prize so god damn much that I was irritated by the end of the damn thing. I already know these players make a sh!t ton more money then any of us will see in our lifetime but the fact they kept hammering the point about the million dollars really bugged me. They should be donating it to their own charity or their teams charity if they don't have one. The stupid mvp here's a truck thing I at least understand because the sponsors want eyes on the truck. 

thecoffeecake    193

Funny, I watched that Colorado-LA game that Gelinas got waived right after, and I thought that he looked better than he did here. An hour later he was gone. Not to say I thought he looked good with Colorado (I'd seen them a few other times this year and saw bits and pieces of him), but to illustrate how god awful he was here.

As for Marchand, it's amazing how he gets away with all this. Some of those low hits are definitely borderline, but the slewfoots are unquestionably dirty. He's lucky Brassard's leg didn't get caught up in the boards like it easily could have on that play. He could've shattered his leg or blown out his knee and ended his career.

Edited by thecoffeecake