Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MadDog2020

Around the League: 2016-17 edition

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

 Pouliot

Sounds like a French birth control method. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

A couple of articles about Pouliot:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/12451631-74/penguins-pouliot-approaches-another-crossroads

https://thehockeywriters.com/why-the-penguins-arent-playing-derrick-pouliot/

Sounds like a lot of things and not any one thing in particular.  Shero already went for his version of a "hasn't seemed to get it going just yet but still can" young defenseman in Mueller, and snagged another young one in Butcher...and there's incumbents.  Maybe under different circumstances, Shero would've considered a move for him, but just didn't seem like there was room for him even if Shero had some interest.

Other thing to note is that he was sought as the centerpiece of a few trades for big-name players that the Penguins turned down even after Shero was gone.  One that's getting talked about right now was for Kessler.  I seem to recall that that's who the Leafs originally wanted in the Kessel trade. 

So he wasn't really a reach when he was drafted and he seems to have been highly regarded until fairly recently. 

So far as Shero giving up more for Mueller than Pouliot, it either tells you that Castron and company really liked Mueller or they really thought Pouliot stunk, or maybe a combination of the two.  Or going after ex-Penguins was starting to look bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Other thing to note is that he was sought as the centerpiece of a few trades for big-name players that the Penguins turned down even after Shero was gone.  One that's getting talked about right now was for Kessler.  I seem to recall that that's who the Leafs originally wanted in the Kessel trade. 

So he wasn't really a reach when he was drafted and he seems to have been highly regarded until fairly recently. 

So far as Shero giving up more for Mueller than Pouliot, it either tells you that Castron and company really liked Mueller or they really thought Pouliot stunk, or maybe a combination of the two.  Or going after ex-Penguins was starting to look bad.

Could also be that the Pens still thought just enough of Pouliot that they didn't want to risk trading him within their division to a team that's just starting to show signs of life and have him figure things out as a Devil.  All speculation, maybe this preseason was kind of Pouliot's last chance to show the Penguins something, and they were still committed to him up until then (meaning that he wasn't yet available when Shero was bringing in new defensive bodies).  But definitely easier to send a guy far far away to the West Coast than to a "local" team.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Sounds like a French birth control method. 

You clearly don't know French Birth Control Method... As it's sound more like " Hey.. Not there ! " 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Tom Wilson suspended again... 4 games for boarding. fvcking goon

That fvck twat needs to be banned for a lot longer. Still bitter that he didnt get jack sh!t for his dirt bag fvcking hit on Moore last year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Buffalo and Eichel agree to an 8yr 80m deal. Thats a steal. 


I think Eichel is my favorite player not in a Devil's jersey. Jagr is up there too since his stint here. He's no slouch in his own zone and he has hands like Hall, and what he doesn't have in skill he makes up for with power moves and board play.

He's that kind of center. Close friend of mine is a huge Sabres fan and I'll be keeping an eye on him and Buffalo. Rasmus Ristolainen is a beast as well along with their cadre of regulars like Reimhart and Girgensons. I think they are a dark horse in the Atlantic division.

I think we might be in for a very exciting year. We saw Matthews basically turn the Leafs around with his arrival last year and who knows which Atlantic teams are going drop this year.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sabres are an odd team to me.  A lot of high end talent, but something's missing given they still always find themselves picking in the top ten of the draft.  Maybe it has something to do with Eichel missing significant time to freak injuries, or maybe when you get past the big names there's no depth.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Daniel said:

The Sabres are an odd team to me.  A lot of high end talent, but something's missing given they still always find themselves picking in the top ten of the draft.  Maybe it has something to do with Eichel missing significant time to freak injuries, or maybe when you get past the big names there's no depth.  

Their defense has been terrible for years. I like their forwards, at least the top-6, but their depth at forward has been pretty bad too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marshall said:

Their defense has been terrible for years. I like their forwards, at least the top-6, but their depth at forward has been pretty bad too.

What are you talking about? They have bottom 6 ace, Jacob Josefson.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Daniel said:

The Sabres are an odd team to me.  A lot of high end talent, but something's missing given they still always find themselves picking in the top ten of the draft.  Maybe it has something to do with Eichel missing significant time to freak injuries, or maybe when you get past the big names there's no depth.  

I feel like their now former GM (Murray) handled the tear down and re-build like a fantasy GM.   It was bizarre to me when he got so much credit for the tank when that was the easy part.   I still don't get giving up those assets for Lehner.      

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMantzas said:

What are you talking about? They have bottom 6 ace, Jacob Josefson.

Hey, I said has! :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SMantzas said:

What are you talking about? They have bottom 6 ace, Jacob Josefson.

Guaranteed Stanley Cup. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RizzMB30 said:

 


I think Eichel is my favorite player not in a Devil's jersey. Jagr is up there too since his stint here. He's no slouch in his own zone and he has hands like Hall, and what he doesn't have in skill he makes up for with power moves and board play.

He's that kind of center. Close friend of mine is a huge Sabres fan and I'll be keeping an eye on him and Buffalo. Rasmus Ristolainen is a beast as well along with their cadre of regulars like Reimhart and Girgensons. I think they are a dark horse in the Atlantic division.

I think we might be in for a very exciting year. We saw Matthews basically turn the Leafs around with his arrival last year and who knows which Atlantic teams are going drop this year.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
 

 

I also have a friend that's a Sabres fan. I've followed them second to NJ since like 2005(ish). It's a shame their management couldn't pull it together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it was already mentioned but:

Congrats to Adam! :clap:

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

watching the blues and pens on NBCSN with doc calling the game, it feels almost like spring time hockey again. Man am I glad this is back! can't wait for Saturday :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need a mod to close this thread down and kind of migrate to a new thread, this is the 2016-2017 thread.  It's time to move on fellas.  ;)

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×