GDT Pre-season: 9/29; Devils @ Rangers; 7PM

NJDEVS1730

I'm a mick myself.  It's mick-loud. Traditionally anyway, all depends how his family says it like every other name. 

4 hours ago, '7' said:

I've heard some Devils fans say Mick-Lee-Odd. Honestly I have no idea how his name should be pronounced.

That's people who have only read it online and have no clue. 

Edited by mfitz804

Very sloppy throughout, but was able to build on the impressions I've gotten from a few guys so far. The guys I've wanted to see progress and keep their consistency have been progressing:

• Miles Wood - This kid might honestly make the opening night roster and it wouldn't be undeserved. I need to get a few better looks but he reminds me of a taller, maybe faster, but less skilled Zach Parise. I mean, his goal last night was a microcosm of his game: he forechecks hard toward the corner, throws the body and loosens the puck; he doesn't stop skating and a few seconds later, sloppy play from both sides puts the puck on his stuck for the big slapper and a goal. He's just hard to contain, hard to keep track of. More realistically than my Parise comparison maybe, I think he may be our next Adam Henrique, which is the kind of player you can never have enough of. He's going to make it very hard on Shero/Hynes to send him back to Albany.
  • Nick Lappin - Somewhat more quiet game out of him last night, compared to the goals he's been putting up in the games and scrimmages, I but I really like what I see out of him, essentially a player we snatched up out of no where. Made some great plays in tight spaces (credit to the Rangers defense, they didn't give us much space last night, and played a lot of their starters, while our lines were more of a hodge-podge with a few starters here and there). I think he'll do well in Albany and make the case to be called up later in the season. He is 24, and we do sorely need RW depth.
  • Yohann Auvitu - I can see what the fuss was about from Finnish hockey fans. He absolutely looks like he fits in here in the NHL (in only a few preseason games), so he must've really been rocking the Finnish League. He might be the type of offensive defenseman we were missing last season; not elite or top-pairing by any means, but great offensive instinct. Let's cross our fingers and hope he's a 20-30 point Marek Zidlicky replacement a year and a half after the fact, we could sorely use that. I'm going to pay more attention to his defensive game moving forward before I rush to call him NHL-ready (his offensive instincts certainly look NHL-ready, which isn't saying much considering what our team has lacked in that department since Zid was traded).
  • Pavel Zacha - Quieter game than I think I wanted to see out of him, but I think he makes the team. He does so many good things and plays very mature. He could've easily had a goal OR two, got robbed on two great opportunities if I recall. I'm not the type that usually thinks we should bring up our kids early, but he plays with a certain maturity, he does not play like he's 19 years old. I think he's ready to be "shown the way".
  • Brian Gibbons - Release him now. He does not need to be wasting someone's preseason roster spot moving forward.
  • Scott Wedgewood & Keith Kinkaid - They definitely won't get the credit they deserve but I think they've both had a perfectly fine preseason so far. Wedgewood made some big saves last night. One of the goals was a softie, but he made some pretty underrated saves throughout the game that went under the radar. Got bumped a hell of a lot of times last night, which I wasn't expecting.