2016-17 Prospects Thread

thefiestygoat

I know it's considered taboo and that there's a process to follow, but could we just bring up McCleod to the big club next season?  It does happen on rare occasions for guys like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, etc, and while he might not be on their level, he certainly seems like he's on the level just below them, and on a team that's as starved for offense and talent as we are, I think it is justified. 

I know it's considered taboo and that there's a process to follow, but could we just bring up McCleod to the big club next season?  It does happen on rare occasions for guys like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, etc, and while he might not be on their level, he certainly seems like he's on the level just below them, and on a team that's as starved for offense and talent as we are, I think it is justified. 

He'll get his chance to make the team out of camp, and if he does, he can play nine games without it counting as a year towards his ELC. If he has a good enough camp that he makes the team, it'll be up to the Devils whether to send him back to junior or keep him after the nine games. It's either NJ or Mississauga for McLeod though, as he is too young for the AHL (another rule that needs to be changed IMO).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He'll get his chance to make the team out of camp, and if he does, he can play nine games without it counting as a year towards his ELC. If he has a good enough camp that he makes the team, it'll be up to the Devils whether to send him back to junior or keep him after the nine games. It's either NJ or Mississauga for McLeod though, as he is too young for the AHL (another rule that needs to be changed IMO).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I know very little about any of the minor leagues, but that seems really stupid and doesn't make any sense that he could go to the NHL, or juniors, but not in the middle 

ELC's are 3 years, right?  I could see why that's important from a financial standpoint I guess, especially since, if he turns out to be as good as we hope, he'll probably demand a high contract after those few years, but in all honestly, as a GM, don't you have to entertain the thought that putting a prize player like him into the big club "a year earlier" than tradition usually dictates, that you might make back that money you would have to spend on him after his ELC, simply because A) people will probably want to see him and he'll draw ticket sales, and B ) the team might actually produce/play better, also netting increased ticket sales, and, possibly, a playoff appearance with even MORE ticket sales?  Basically I just figure there's a break-even point with putting McCleod into the NHL quicker than "usual", and that that break-even point is probably easier/quicker to attain than most people think.

12 hours ago, CommonDreads said:

UMD beat Harvard 2-1 to go to the National Championship game. Anderson had a goal and an assist, Kerfoot had an assist. Kerfoot's now eligible to sign an NHL contract, we'll see what happens.

I think you're spot on. We could see him in a Devils sweater very soon, OR, he'll pull a Jimmy Vesey.  I think he'll be here for practice @ 11:30  :-)

On 4/6/2017 at 9:35 PM, CommonDreads said:

UMD beat Harvard 2-1 to go to the National Championship game. Anderson had a goal and an assist, Kerfoot had an assist. Kerfoot's now eligible to sign an NHL contract, we'll see what happens.

Every time I see his name I want to say "bless you". 

• Like 1

McLeod, Bastian, and the Steelheads are up against Jeremy Brodeur and the Generals in the 2nd Round of the OHL Playoffs. Mississauga lost 3-2 in Game 1 with McLeod assisting on both goals. The Steelheads are up right now 5-3 in Game 2, McLeod has an assist on the 5th goal scored by Spencer Watson.

NHLN was showing Colby Sissons and the Swift Current Broncos last night vs Regina in the second round of the WHL playoffs.   I went to bed before the end but apparently Sissons had the OT game winner.  

http://whl.ca/article/whlplayoffs-roundup-sissons-strikes-in-ot-as-broncos-stake-out-series-lead

Also, during one of the intermissions they were talking about the tragic 1986 bus crash that killed 4 members of the Broncos.   It's a pretty interesting story, especially because of what because of some of the others involved in the crash including Joe Sakic, Graham James and Sheldon Kennedy.  I never knew anything about this but found a few articles that went into greater detail for anyone interested. The articles are a little dated but it was brought up on last night's telecast because they recently unveiled a new memorial for the 4 victims.    

http://www.espn.com/espn/eticket/story?page=swiftcurrent

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/remembering-victims-of-the-1986-swift-current-broncos-bus-crash  

http://globalnews.ca/news/3153198/memorial-unveiled-for-4-swift-current-broncos-players-killed-30-years-ago/

3 more assists and a 2nd star for McLeod last night in a 7-4 win to take a 2-1 series lead.  He's now leading the entire OHL in playoff scoring although I'm guessing DeBrincat on the Erie Otters probably has a higher PPG pace.  

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/gamecentre/22344/boxscore

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck the Duck said:

Nice to see McLeod playing well and having success.  Interesting thing in looking through the box score is that Kyle MacLean, Johnny Mac's son, plays on Oshawa with Brodeur's kid.  Didn't realize he was playing up there.  2 Jersey kids on the same OHL team.

Mac had been mentioning it during the last 5 or so games.  Either you didn't watch, or you phased out what he was saying.

Both, of course, are equally understandable. :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SMantzas said:

McLeod leading OHL scoring this late into the playoffs is awesome.  Can anyone calculate his ppg since the WJC?  Gotta be nearly 1.7ppg

Since returning from the WJC (including regular season + playoffs): 40 GP 27-36-63, 1.58 Pts/GP, 2.80 SH/GP, 24.11 SH%

Just for reference, prior to the WJC: 26 GP 6-21-27, 1.04 Pts/GP, 3.62 SH/GP, 6.38 SH%

• Like 3