Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
thecoffeecake

2016 MLB Postseason

Recommended Posts

thecoffeecake    193

I figured the Mets thread is done so let's get another thread going for the remainder of the playoffs.

I don't understand how so few people, even players and managers, actually understand the catcher contact rule. All the rule says is that the catcher can't block the plate without the ball, and base runners can't go out of their way to the plate to make contact with the catcher.

No reason Werth doesn't go through the catcher in a game 5. Next batter game's tied. Now the Nats are juggling pitchers like the Giants did. It's the Dodgers game to lose at this point I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDevs4978    218

The seventh inning of this game seemed like a September game with all the fantasy baseball type roster moves.  If I didn't know better I'd swear managers still had 40-man rosters :lol:

Roberts took a page out of his old manager's book and threw in Jansen for the 7th inning when the Dodgers nearly blew a 4-1 lead and stopped the bleeding.  Now he's got no choice but to ride or die with Kershaw in the 9th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDevs4978    218

One batter too many for Jansen, you had to bring in Kershaw for Harper especially considering Harper lined a rope off Jansen the first time up.

Kershaw still does the job though...thank god that Murphy popup didn't happen last year :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDevs4978    218

I actually feel sorta bad for Dusty and have no ill will toward Murphy but the rest of the Nats can go scratch :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thecoffeecake    193

I cannot believe either the Cubs or Dodgers are going to win the National League pennant. I'm going to vomit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nmigliore    4

Happy to see the Nats knocked out. No rooting interest in either series, although the Cubs and their fans really deserve a WS title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad the Nats are toast...like Has, I have no ill will towards Murph at all, and the parade of second-guessers who all "knew" Murph was going to have a year like this (no one did) and who kill the Mets for letting him walk can all go F off.  But something about the Nats is just irksome...there's something about them in general that makes you want to see them fail yet again. 

Once my teams are done, I tend to be too...but I'm kinda-sorta (without any real passion) rooting for the Cubs, just because.  For as often as Met fans get kicked in the balls, I can't imagine what it feels like to be a Cubs fan.  My only problem with that fanbase is that they almost seem to enjoy the whole "lovable losers" identity...the Red Sox never came close to embracing anything close to that during their run...but maybe part of that stems from the fact that they've had the Yankees for so long as that bitter rival, the kind of team that players and fans can hate with equal levels of pure anger (though that definitely was diminished with the number of players playing for both teams in recent years). 

Do the Cubs have that one big NL rival that's always been that proverbial thorn?  I can't think of one for them, honestly. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'7'    568

I wasn't jumping for joy when Murph K'd. Frankly I was so convinced he'd come through it was a forgone conclusion. He's had a dream season and was always a good clutch hitter. Even if he was 0 for his last 20 and facing a tough lefty late in the game with ducks on the pond...I would still want him up there over any other player.

Nats are going to be good again next year, but to think they'll have this kind of run of incredible luck in terms of injuries, over-performance, and what happened to other teams in the division they are mistaken. Murph will be hard pressed to replicate this though batting in front of or behind Harper will always make things easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thecoffeecake    193

I can't understand why everyone is pulling for the damn Cubs. The Cubs and their fans are obnoxious, and this whole idea that they deserve it and this year belongs to them makes them such a loathsome group to me. I always want steaks to continue on top of that, so I'm pulling Toronto-LA, as much as I dislike both of those groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'7'    568
22 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I can't understand why everyone is pulling for the damn Cubs. The Cubs and their fans are obnoxious, and this whole idea that they deserve it and this year belongs to them makes them such a loathsome group to me. I always want steaks to continue on top of that, so I'm pulling Toronto-LA, as much as I dislike both of those groups.

I seem to be one of the few people indifferent about the Cubs.

Never saw their fans as obnoxious. They have a large contingent and they're tortured...but their are far worse fan-bases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I can't understand why everyone is pulling for the damn Cubs. The Cubs and their fans are obnoxious, and this whole idea that they deserve it and this year belongs to them makes them such a loathsome group to me. I always want steaks to continue on top of that, so I'm pulling Toronto-LA, as much as I dislike both of those groups.

What makes Cubs fans obnoxious?  I've never heard anyone call them that before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'7'    568
7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What makes Cubs fans obnoxious?  I've never heard anyone call them that before. 

Exactly, spoiled and elitist they are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thecoffeecake    193
23 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What makes Cubs fans obnoxious?  I've never heard anyone call them that before. 

Really? That's surprising, because I think I've even heard that from someone on this board before. They're the Yankees of the Midwest. All of the sudden when September rolls around, their fans are everywhere. The vibe I get from that fan base really rubs me the wrong way. I feel like they just eat up all the media attention they've gotten the last 2 years. I've met plenty of Cubs fans and have seen how friendly the city is, but I think there's an attitude of entitlement every time they play in October. Remember Steve Bartman? 13 years later and I bet he still spends a lot of time at home.

Everything has been about the Cubs the last 2 postseasons, and it drives me nuts. I think the open media and public bias for them is what really makes me want to see them fail.

I also wouldn't call a fan base that saw the Jordan Bulls a couple of decades ago and 3 Hawks cups since 2010 tortured. Didn't the Bears win one too in the 2000's, or did they just lose to the Colts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think their fans are always pretty visible.  Not really getting the entitlement vibe either...hell, it's not like they get to October that much.  I will give you that they were unfair to Steve Bartman...they went overboard on that one for sure.  That guy didn't deserve any of what happened to him. 

You're assuming that Cubs fans take in all of the local sports and root for all them with equal fervor, which isn't really fair.  I couldn't possibly care less about basketball myself, and I'm sure there's a fair number of Cubs fans who aren't nearly as passionate about the Bears, Bulls, or Blackhawks as they are about the Cubs.  It's not like the Devils or Patriots winning has made all these years of the Mets not winning a World Series any easier for me (does help from a fan-sanity standpoint though).   

It really is amazing how bad the Cubs have been since 1940 (as the White Stockings/Colts/Orphans and Cubs, they were good record-wise prior to 1940).  They've amassed losing records in every decade from the 40s on, and are 5755-6401 from 1940-2016.  That's a lot of sucking.

The Cubs are just one of those teams that are easy for some out-of-towners to embrace.  Like I said, I'm kind of in "Hey, if they win, good for them" mode.  I haven't watched any of their games, and I doubt I'll tune in for more than a few innings here and there from here on out. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thecoffeecake    193
29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think their fans are always pretty visible.  Not really getting the entitlement vibe either...hell, it's not like they get to October that much.  I will give you that they were unfair to Steve Bartman...they went overboard on that one for sure.  That guy didn't deserve any of what happened to him. 

You're assuming that Cubs fans take in all of the local sports and root for all them with equal fervor, which isn't really fair.  I couldn't possibly care less about basketball myself, and I'm sure there's a fair number of Cubs fans who aren't nearly as passionate about the Bears, Bulls, or Blackhawks as they are about the Cubs.  It's not like the Devils or Patriots winning has made all these years of the Mets not winning a World Series any easier for me (does help from a fan-sanity standpoint though).   

It really is amazing how bad the Cubs have been since 1940 (as the White Stockings/Colts/Orphans and Cubs, they were good record-wise prior to 1940).  They've amassed losing records in every decade from the 40s on, and are 5755-6401 from 1940-2016.  That's a lot of sucking.

The Cubs are just one of those teams that are easy for some out-of-towners to embrace.  Like I said, I'm kind of in "Hey, if they win, good for them" mode.  I haven't watched any of their games, and I doubt I'll tune in for more than a few innings here and there from here on out. 

You know, I really enjoy things like streaks and droughts. Once the Cubs win, we lose a World Series drought of biblical proportions. I want my kids to be able to see and remember a team that hasn't won a World Series since before World War I.

Yea, I get that a lot of people are Cubs fans first or don't like other sports as much, but as a fan base or a city, not nearly as tortured as a place like Washington or Buffalo. The majority of Cubs fans have had something to celebrate in their lifetimes, including the casual baseball fan who got to see the White Sox in 05 (although I think there's less crossover with those fans than some other 2 team areas). Chicago is also a huge NBA city, but even if it wasn't, having the greatest all time brings everyone out.

I suppose bottom line is I just don't have any sympathy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as lack of sympathy goes...it always sucks for the loyal fans who have to deal with constant ineptitude, but I don't feel much sympathy (if any) for poorly-run franchises.  Cubs have had their share of incompetence (same as the Mets). 

Not sure how much crossover there is between Cubs and White Sox fans (or rivalry for that matter).  There isn't much with the Yankees and Mets (though there are some who root for both...most of us who are hardcore about one or the other don't really get that).  Not like there's a whole lot of two-team cities, as far as baseball goes.  Mike Piazza basically said whatever "rivalry" existed between the Dodgers and the Angels was non-existent...he said Yankees-Mets was a much different (and more intense) vibe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thecoffeecake    193
On 10/18/2016 at 11:56 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as lack of sympathy goes...it always sucks for the loyal fans who have to deal with constant ineptitude, but I don't feel much sympathy (if any) for poorly-run franchises.  Cubs have had their share of incompetence (same as the Mets). 

Not sure how much crossover there is between Cubs and White Sox fans (or rivalry for that matter).  There isn't much with the Yankees and Mets (though there are some who root for both...most of us who are hardcore about one or the other don't really get that).  Not like there's a whole lot of two-team cities, as far as baseball goes.  Mike Piazza basically said whatever "rivalry" existed between the Dodgers and the Angels was non-existent...he said Yankees-Mets was a much different (and more intense) vibe. 

The casual fan is a mystery to all of us. Yankees/Mets felt a lot bigger in the early 2000s. I sense the communal NY vibe more now than then when it comes to those 2, but that could jist be me.

I never thought Cubs and White Sox fans didn't like each other, but I heard or read something once that gave me a different impression, but now I can't remember what exactly it was.

Lackey looks like the drug addict from Scrubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'7'    568

The Cubs "curse" is laughable. Red Sox I could understand...the Cubs have never been close enough often enough nor have they choked enough. It's just stretch upon stretch of bad baseball. They made the playoffs once in 40 years between 1945 and 1984. They have made it like 8 times since 1984...a lot better. But other than 2008 and last year...they never had an upper echelon WS Contender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'7'    568

What a baseball game. This is an event that has now reached legendary proportions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'7'    568

Allen was awful and it was only a matter of time until they got to him. Walked the tightrope and got burned. Bryant nearly took him out 3 pitches before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDevs4978    218

This tenth inning is reminding me of the 12th inning last year :P  The avalanche is falling in now that all the Indians' best relievers are done.

Well good thing the Cubs' two worst hitters came up there, at least the Indians still have a chance against Carl Edwards or whomever comes in.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
'7'    568

Think you maybe should've pulled the atrocious Allen for Bauer earlier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDevs4978    218
4 minutes ago, '7' said:

Think you maybe should've pulled the atrocious Allen for Bauer earlier?

Eh Cody Allen had 11.2 scoreless innings in the postseason before tonight.  And Trevor Bauer's been awful in the series.

Maddon's had about four or five hideous brain-cramp moves tonight...but it's all gonna be forgotten now cause the dude falls out of trees and lands on his feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDevs4978    218

lol this must be what it felt like to watch the NLCS Game 6 in 1986...another rally back from the dead for the Indians to make it tight again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NJDevs4978    218

And the Cubs finally do it...good for them now I don't have to hear about this **** anymore.

Not exactly a well-played or well-managed game but compelling nonetheless.  Neither team lost, the only losers are poor Indian fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×