Devils to reveal 'One Jersey' initiative

MadDog2020

7 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

They introduced a new chant after the goal song.

"We are" followed by "Jersey".

Not sure whose bright idea it was to introduce a Penn State chant into the arena but, needless to say, I hate it.

If that doesn't reek of a bunch of stuffed-suit dweebs trying to make fetch happen, I don't know what does.  To those idiots:  traditions don't get started that way.  They just sort of evolve naturally over time.  Have you learned nothing with the Diablos failure?  I get that you're trying, but some things can't be made to happen through meetings, market research, micro-managing and meticulous planning.  You can't treat the fanbase like a bunch of sheep.     

And even worse, trying to modify an existing chant being used by a well-known university that isn't exactly beloved right now, that never had Jersey roots to begin with...if you insist on trying to create a new tradition all on your own, at least start from scratch, or source something that makes a lot more sense.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If that doesn't reek of a bunch of stuffed-suit dweebs trying to make fetch happen, I don't know what does.  To those idiots:  traditions don't get started that way.  They just sort of evolve naturally over time.  Have you learned nothing with the Diablos failure?  I get that you're trying, but some things can't be made to happen through meetings, market research, micro-managing and meticulous planning.  You can't treat the fanbase like a bunch of sheep.     

And even worse, trying to modify an existing chant being used by a well-known university that isn't exactly beloved right now, that never had Jersey roots to begin with...if you insist on trying to create a new tradition all on your own, at least start from scratch, or source something that makes a lot more sense.   

To be fair, the YS and RSFS chant were taken from other teams too.  YS was done by Nashville and college teams before the Devils and RSFS was taken from the Potvin sucks chant the Rangers do.

The Devils management needs to stop trying to force new chants.  Unless it is about concentrating on the other team or on our rivals like the Rangers and Flyers, our fanbase has no interest in doing it and is like forcing a square peg into a round hole.  Even getting the arena to do a Let's Go Devils the last few years seems to be a big ask from this group.

54 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

To be fair, the YS and RSFS chant were taken from other teams too.  YS was done by Nashville and college teams before the Devils and RSFS was taken from the Potvin sucks chant the Rangers do.

The Devils management needs to stop trying to force new chants.  Unless it is about concentrating on the other team or on our rivals like the Rangers and Flyers, our fanbase has no interest in doing it and is like forcing a square peg into a round hole.  Even getting the arena to do a Let's Go Devils the last few years seems to be a big ask from this group.

I know that Devils fans didn't single-handedly start the YS and RSFS chants all on their own...but at least the use of R&R Part 2 had franchise roots.  

I agree 100% that management needs to cut it out...the problem is that even a good idea from them will feel like "OK fans, now you do THIS."  People don't like being told what to do, especially by a bunch of corporate schleps that aren't "one of them".  Just let something happen and let it gain steam on its own.  There's been enough backlash against RSFS that it seems to be (hopefully) dying out.  YS seems to be here to stay, and part of it is that upper management chose to fight it in a very obvious manner, which made enough of the fanbase take a "oh really?" approach to keeping it going no matter what.  Management did as much to keep that one alive as anyone did.  Maybe more.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know that Devils fans didn't single-handedly start the YS and RSFS chants all on their own...but at least the use of R&R Part 2 had franchise roots.  

I agree 100% that management needs to cut it out...the problem is that even a good idea from them will feel like "OK fans, now you do THIS."  People don't like being told what to do, especially by a bunch of corporate schleps that aren't "one of them".  Just let something happen and let it gain steam on its own.  There's been enough backlash against RSFS that it seems to be (hopefully) dying out.  YS seems to be here to stay, and part of it is that upper management chose to fight it in a very obvious manner, which made enough of the fanbase take a "oh really?" approach to keeping it going no matter what.  Management did as much to keep that one alive as anyone did.  Maybe more.

Problem is, the only thing this fanbase seems to want to chant these days are chants that are telling the other team how much they suck or about teams we are not even playing that night how much they suck.  Management wants to avoid that but a good number of fans seem to be stuck on these types of chants.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agreed, they get rid of rock n roll part 2 cause he was a kid toucher and then we try adopting a chant that is from a school known for covering up kid touching for years and years. Makes no sense. Plus it's a PA school. So stupid. 

I do like the new partnership with M&Ms though especially cause they have a large headquarters in NJ. Makes perfect sense and the zamboni ad looks great. 

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Problem is, the only thing this fanbase seems to want to chant these days are chants that are telling the other team how much they suck or about teams we are not even playing that night how much they suck.  Management wants to avoid that but a good number of fans seem to be stuck on these types of chants.

The worst part of it is that, every time management tries to stop it, it ends up getting worse.  Taking the horn away has now led to the YS chant being done 4 different times after a goal is scored, instead of 1.  Literally, after the 2nd goal, the chant was done separately in each corner of the arena.  It was started by a group of fans signing/humming the RRPartII chant to get it going each time. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

The worst part of it is that, every time management tries to stop it, it ends up getting worse.  Taking the horn away has now led to the YS chant being done 4 different times after a goal is scored, instead of 1.  Literally, after the 2nd goal, the chant was done separately in each corner of the arena.  It was started by a group of fans signing/humming the RRPartII chant to get it going each time. 

I watched the game at home on TV and I heard the chant after the first goal, but not after the second goal.

Guys, Penn State just honored Joe Paterno last month. The man who directly ignored a child who was a victim of sexual assault, and involved with covering up everything Sandusky was doing. How does management think anything associating their brand with Penn State's is a good idea?

• Like 4

WINNING is the biggest cure-all for success.  Accompanied with a strategic, and non-overpowering marketing strategy, the Devils could be very successful financially.  But without putting forth a successful team on the ice, no initiative in the world can be of any help, especially in an area where you can jump on and off a bandwagon in a hurry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thecoffeecake said:

Guys, Penn State just honored Joe Paterno last month. The man who directly ignored a child who was a victim of sexual assault, and involved with covering up everything Sandusky was doing. How does management think anything associating their brand with Penn State's is a good idea?

I'm gonna chalk it up to, their hearts were in the right place, but the Penn State connection wasn't the first thing to come to their minds. It wasn't for me or the person next to me, I could give two sh!ts about college sports. My only rag on it was how they introduced it with such purpose, like it was this "big thing"; maybe that's on the hype man for not sticking to script or something? I don't know.  

They should roll stuff out like this slowly and steadily, maybe start it off as just words on the jumbotron; but yeah, the way they presented it was too forced. Hope they learned their lesson, they seem to test a lot of things out and not be afraid to make adjustments, so I'm not worried.

3 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

The first school that comes to my mind when I hear that chant is Marshall, not Penn State. I don't know where the chant originated, but I'm sure it was a long time ago, and it sounds like many schools and sports teams do their own version of it now. I don't think that the connection between what they (Devils) are trying to do and Penn State is as strong as you make it out to be. You probably feel that connection is very strong. Eye of the beholder on this one, I believe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

If this is the case I don't see it lasting much longer

I know exactly where I would like this all to go.  Our third jersey should be the good old red'n'green throwbacks.  I'd love seeing those babies from time to time.  Out logo is perfect, so anything except minor adjustments would be a travesty.  Unlike some franchises (eg-the Hurricanes) we got a world beating logo on the first try.  Don't screw with perfection.

As for the community, I would love to see more involvement back in the middle part of the state (and even the south).  We have got to drive the damn Flyers fans out of OUR home turf.  Put a team back in Trenton and really invest in it please!  Get the boys down to the shore.  I know our team isn't a major competitor right now, but we will be.  So who would you rather root for: a team that delivers on greatness like the Devils or one that has merely teased it since the mid-70s?

Thanks very much.  You may go back to you normal programming.

I know exactly where I would like this all to go.  Our third jersey should be the good old red'n'green throwbacks.  I'd love seeing those babies from time to time.  Out logo is perfect, so anything except minor adjustments would be a travesty.  Unlike some franchises (eg-the Hurricanes) we got a world beating logo on the first try.  Don't screw with perfection.
As for the community, I would love to see more involvement back in the middle part of the state (and even the south).  We have got to drive the damn Flyers fans out of OUR home turf.  Put a team back in Trenton and really invest in it please!  Get the boys down to the shore.  I know our team isn't a major competitor right now, but we will be.  So who would you rather root for: a team that delivers on greatness like the Devils or one that has merely teased it since the mid-70s?
Thanks very much.  You may go back to you normal programming.

I agree re: south Jersey, but the main problem is the games aren't on TV down there. Once you get past Trenton, it's pretty much all Flyers- it's impossible to market a team if you can't even watch their games on local TV. That's on the league- they won't allow Devils games to be televised locally in south Jersey because that is Philly's TV market and the Devils are in the NYC TV market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I agree re: south Jersey, but the main problem is the games aren't on TV down there. Once you get past Trenton, it's pretty much all Flyers- it's impossible to market a team if you can't even watch their games on local TV. That's on the league- they won't allow Devils games to be televised locally in south Jersey because that is Philly's TV market and the Devils are in the NYC TV market.

I don't even think tv is the issue, it's the distance. I don't blame people who can get to the Philly arena in 15 to 20 mins down there for not wanting to drive 70-90 mins if there's no traffic to Newark. Especially coming out of work  around 5 and maybe grabbing their other family members to go to the games. I know there are a few people who do it but they are few and far between. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 10:41 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Didn't we pay the Flyers a territory fee along with the Isles and Rangers when the franchise moved here? If that's the case, how can the league prevent our games from being broadcast in South Jersey? I brought up a couple days ago about the possibility of having a New Jersey specific sports network, and I know it's unlikely, but I wonder if that would give the team the ability to renegotiate what their market is as they wouldn't be on a NYC network.

On 10/22/2016 at 1:41 AM, Satans Hockey said:

I don't even think tv is the issue, it's the distance. I don't blame people who can get to the Philly arena in 15 to 20 mins down there for not wanting to drive 70-90 mins if there's no traffic to Newark. Especially coming out of work  around 5 and maybe grabbing their other family members to go to the games. I know there are a few people who do it but they are few and far between. 

That's not really the case for most people in South Jersey. Only a handful of people down there live close enough to attend games regularly. In a lot of areas of SJ, Devils fans make up at least a quarter of the hockey fans, and having the games on tv would be a huge help. If you live more than 45 minutes from the stadium, you're probably not going to any more games than you would if you lived an hour and a half away. The only people in Jersey who can get to the Philly sports complex in 15 or 20 minutes live in the Deptford area near the Walt Whitman. Most people in South Philly can't even get there that quick. Having access to 295, the Turnpike, and the Parkway makes Newark very accessible to most in South Jersey, even if it might take a little longer to get there than Philly.

There's a healthy population of Devils fans down there already. The state identity means something to people in every part of Jersey. Get the games on tv and you're going to breed a new generation of fans in South Jersey.

On 11/6/2016 at 10:24 AM, thecoffeecake said:

Didn't we pay the Flyers a territory fee along with the Isles and Rangers when the franchise moved here? If that's the case, how can the league prevent our games from being broadcast in South Jersey? I brought up a couple days ago about the possibility of having a New Jersey specific sports network, and I know it's unlikely, but I wonder if that would give the team the ability to renegotiate what their market is as they wouldn't be on a NYC network...

The Devils did indemnify the Flyers along with the Rangers and Islanders:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/23/sports/on-pro-hockey-devils-have-an-identity-problem-at-home.html

I am pretty sure we have territorial rights to the whole state. Not sure why team does not push the issue more; however, I do get that it would be tough for MSG to get carriage in south Jersey. This is where the Devils would really need their own RSN (which I do not think they are popular enough to justify) that covers the entire state.

When you read articles like that it's really amazing that this team made it. There were a lot of roadblocks thrown up. 

The Devils should definitely push into South Jersey. They have every right to. sh!t they should push into Rockland and Orange counties too.

Edited by '7'

7 hours ago, Brick City said:

The Devils did indemnify the Flyers along with the Rangers and Islanders:

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/23/sports/on-pro-hockey-devils-have-an-identity-problem-at-home.html

I am pretty sure we have territorial rights to the whole state. Not sure why team does not push the issue more; however, I do get that it would be tough for MSG to get carriage in south Jersey. This is where the Devils would really need their own RSN (which I do not think they are popular enough to justify) that covers the entire state.

But what if that network included some combination of Rutgers, Seton Hall, Princeton, Rider, and Monmouth sports coverage (especially Rutgers football and Seton Hall basketball)? I imagine it would be a win-win to get these programs the coverage they certainly deserve and don't get, and would draw more casual audience for the Devils. It would be great for these groups to sew themselves together as a singular sports culture and market instead of being fringe programs in the NY market. Seton Hall and Monmouth both have competitive basketball programs, and they don't get consistent local attention outside of their communities. No one knew Rutgers had a football team until 2006. Princeton has D1 hockey. There's an endless amount of things this network could cover, and a HUGE market it would serve. There are other D1 sports programs in the state I didn't mention, minor league baseball. The station could carry certain specific college conferences (the Big East, MAAC, ECAC). If Oklahoma, Utah, and Indiana can support rsns, Jersey certainly could.