New York Mets 2016-2017 Offseason Thread

'7'

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Those are their top 2 prospects. 

Hate the Nats...but they're definitely going all in.

Sale seems like he's a bit of a headcase, which may not be the best thing for what always seems to be like a iffy group...but the guy is damned good.  And signed to insanely reasonable money over the next three seasons.  Can't blame the Nats for ponying up in a big way for him...they've won 3 division titles in the last 5 years, averaged almost 92 wins per season in that time frame...and don't have a single playoff series win to show for it.  They're at that stage where they need to think "RIGHT NOW". 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sale seems like he's a bit of a headcase, which may not be the best thing for what always seems to be like a iffy group...but the guy is damned good.  And signed to insanely reasonable money over the next three seasons.  Can't blame the Nats for ponying up in a big way for him...they've won 3 division titles in the last 5 years, averaged almost 92 wins per season in that time frame...and don't have a single playoff series win to show for it.  They're at that stage where they need to think "RIGHT NOW". 

And that ownership group has $ too. Honestly I think they pony up and sign Harper. 

What will happen with Ramos? Will Murph have another godly season (I doubt it but...he'll still be good) can they expect this from Werth again (No). Unfortunately Trea Turner looks very good and we have to deal with that for some time.

At full strength and health, line up the Mets and Nats and both teams are about equal. Coin flip division. We just have to hope everything doesn't go right for the Nats again as it did last year. That was unreal good fortune they got in terms of health, luck and overperformance.

Would be nice to see Scherzers performance sag after 4 consecutive 200+ inning season (last 3, 220+!)

I would've rather have seen them get McCutchen who is coming off a pretty poor season. He'll probably bounce back but it's not like last season *didn't* happen, he's over 30, and the 2015 version of McCutchen probably isn't coming back either way. There's always the injury potential with a pitcher but Sale definitely makes the Nats better than McCutchen would have.

Edited by nmigliore

Wow...that feels like a serious fail for the Nats (in the short-term, anyway), if only because that's the kind of move that gets everyone associated with the team excited.  It's almost like you'd rather have not even known that they were in on Sale at all. 

re:  Ramos, he seems interesting (even with the ACL) until you realize what an outlier season last year was.  His 2014 and 2015 seasons (.698 and .616 OB+SLG) were pretty rough offensively.  I could live with the 2011 version and even the 2013 version, but his year-to-year numbers are kind of all over the place.   

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

The Red Sox now have Sale and Price in the same rotation. emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice...didn't even think of that!  Wonder if Eddie Money is a Sox fan...

And too bad this guy isn't playing for the Red Sox anymore:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cashke01.shtml

• Like 1

Any way you slice it he's still an above average hitter for a catcher with good power, though he is so often hurt and will be turning 30 this year. He really needs to go to the AL and cut down on his time behind the plate. He just needs to be a DH 50-60% of the time. If he just focused on hitting, it would really benefit him...though he will never again have a season like 2016. He's too big a wild card. Wouldn't shock anybody if he missed 100 games next year due to injury.

Yea I see that happening too. McCutchen's batting average and OPS declined in 2015, and then even further in 2016. But put him in that lineup with Murphy and Harper and you have serious problems for any staff. He will rebound with a vengeance. 

Pittsburgh better be getting Trea Turner in return if this happens. If the Pirates hand him to Washington without Turner in the mix I'm going to be very pissed. Turner + Giolito or Turner + Robles. Probably not all 3 though. I'd ask for all 3 anyway.

Edited by '7'

Ramos may not even be ready for the start of the season. I bet he ends up taking a 1 year pillow deal to reestablish his value with an AL team where he can split duties between catcher and DH. I would be frightened to take a chance on him if I were an NL team. 

1 minute ago, nmigliore said:

Ramos may not even be ready for the start of the season. I bet he ends up taking a 1 year pillow deal to reestablish his value with an AL team where he can split duties between catcher and DH. I would be frightened to take a chance on him if I were an NL team. 

Oh...had no idea he may not even start the season. Things usually get messy with those type of injuries where you're behind in conditioning etc. Seems guys who rehab and start the season late always have setbacks and end up with "lost seasons" where they can't get into a groove.

6 minutes ago, '7' said:

Oh...had no idea he may not even start the season. Things usually get messy with those type of injuries where you're behind in conditioning etc. Seems guys who rehab and start the season late always have setbacks and end up with "lost seasons" where they can't get into a groove.

I'd consider him if 2016 was his typical offensive season, but it's definitely not...heaven forbid you get the 2015 version. 

As for McCutchen...the 2015 version of him could suit up for me any day.  Interesting that last season was only one of two seasons that his BABIP was below .300.  It was quite high the prior four seasons:  .375, .353, .355, .339. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wow...that feels like a serious fail for the Nats (in the short-term, anyway), if only because that's the kind of move that gets everyone associated with the team excited.  It's almost like you'd rather have not even known that they were in on Sale at all.   

It actually smacks of something that would happen to us lol

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It actually smacks of something that would happen to us lol

I was thinking that...I'll never forget how we got strung along for Vladimir Guerrero. 

Mike Rizzo's officially gone berserk trading three top prospects including Giolito and Lopez for...Adam Eaton.  If they were going to shoot the wad they should have at least shot the wad for a closer, I don't get why they're so hung up on getting a slap-hitting outfielder.  Because he can play RF and get on base?  I just hope it doesn't turn out that they lucked into the right solution AGAIN.

And now the market for any trade's just gotten skewed.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Eaton's offensive numbers over the past two seasons were remarkably similar.  He's a good player, but White Sox fans have to be doing cartwheels over that return.  And yeah, feels a bit desperate on Rizzo's part.  

White Sox have done a hell of a job stocking their farm.

And as if there was any doubt Sandy indicated that the Mets payroll would only go down from the $150 million it's at now.  Which not only means trade a corner outfielder, but trade a corner outfielder without getting any meaningful additions to the pen via FA (and likely losing Blevins/Salas).  But that's the price we had to expect for bringing back Ces I guess.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/bringing-back-cespedes-mets-gm-admits-payroll-issue-article-1.2902400?cid=bitly

Two Mets sources confirmed Wednesday their payroll needs to be right around $140 million on Opening Day. They said Alderson is trying to get creative when addressing needs on a zero budget.

Three agents who met with the Mets this week described the team as adamant about not adding salary. For example, in looking for a reliever, the Mets are looking to sign players with some limited major-league experience to minor-league contracts. While that has worked in the past for the Mets, this time they are not offering an invite to major-league spring training.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Same old Wilpons.  Yeah, definitely saw that coming.  Creativity isn't exactly Sandy's strong suit either.  

And the Village Idiot is still the manager.  

Still, gotta think one of those outfielders is movable.  But still kind of maddening the team won't be much better on paper than last year's group.  

They went overboard for Eaton but he's going to be a menace at the plate. They are in ultimate win now mode and this guy does make their lineup a lot better. Eaton was 33rd in all of baseball in OBP. 

This also has the potential to be a horrific disaster

Fowler to the Cards for 5 years and $82.5 million.  Not really looking forward to seeing Lagares in CF yet again (even though he won't be the full-time guy)...and of course, Nimmo and Conforto are question marks at best at this point...but it's not like the Mets could afford to even consider ponying up for Fowler with Bruce AND Cespedes still in the fold.  Really wish Sandy had just not picked up Bruce's option, but if he gets a decent bullpen arm for him, guess I can't complain too much. 

The more that I think about it, the more that I think Sandy eventually trades either Granderson or Bruce (who knows when exactly, but of course everyone knows that's coming), and the OF mix will be:

Cespedes, Bruce/Granderson (I'd be stunned if Bruce is still here by Opening Day...guy has no business playing in NY), Conforto, Lagares, and Nimmo.

Status quo...no new faces, no new skillsets.  I'd say Cespedes and Grandy will probably perform around their 2016 levels, with Grandy being less lousy with RISP.  So gotta hope the other guys contribute.  Doesn't exactly ring "championship-caliber" OF group. 

Still very early in the offseason and I really hope Passive proves me wrong, but it feels more and more like this team isn't getting any real upgrades, and that Cespedes being re-signed was the organization's idea of a successful Met offseason...without question, even though I have reservations about Cespedes, his being brought back pretty much ensured that this offseason would not be a disaster.  But uncreative status quo wasn't what I had in mind either, and that's where I think this offseason is headed. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Assault Charge against Mets Jeurys Familia dropped at wife's request

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18284461/misdemeanor-assault-charge-new-york-mets-closer-jeurys-familia-dropped

FORT LEE, N.J. -- A New Jersey judge agreed Thursday to drop the simple-assault charge against New York Mets closer Jeurys Familia, ending the legal proceeding stemming from a domestic-violence allegation.

Municipal court judge John DeSheplo accepted Fort Lee prosecutor Arthur Balsamo's recommendation that the misdemeanor charge be dismissed. The judge also ordered the record of the case to be expunged.

"I'm happy the case is resolved," said Familia's defense attorney, Paul Brickfield.