New York Mets 2016-2017 Offseason Thread

'7'

On 2/3/2017 at 11:35 PM, NJDevs4978 said:

And Blevins back too, one year $6 million - hallelujah.

Terrific. And he's a great clubhouse guy as well, very nice and very well liked by the team.

Hate to say I'm extremely optimistic about the Mets but if we finally luck out into having a relatively low injury season...they can be very good. 90+ wins good. I foresee a dogfight with the Nats for the division until the bitter end. All these predictions that have the Mets hovering in the mid to upper 80's I think are underrating them.

Edited by '7'

Saw an article about the Mets the other day, re:  this offseason...basically said what an odd offseason it's been, in that it's been SO status quo...especially since the Mets did have to fork over some cash to keep some of last year's names in the 2017 fold.  Extremely uncreative by Sandy,

Right now I've got them at 90 wins.  Of course, it depends on health, and let's face it, the Mets seem to have zero luck in that department.  It's hard not to imagine that some of guys will get hurt.

'7', re:  what you said about World Series expectations with this staff (in the NFL thread)...I think as long as they all appear to be so fragile and incapable of throwing 200 IP in any given year, I can't assume that they should find a way to lead their team to a WS Championship in the next three seasons.  I'd like to see them all survive a season first. 

They at least seem to have some nice depth though...they're probably going to need it.

23 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Saw an article about the Mets the other day, re:  this offseason...basically said what an odd offseason it's been, in that it's been SO status quo...especially since the Mets did have to fork over some cash to keep some of last year's names in the 2017 fold.  Extremely uncreative by Sandy,

Right now I've got them at 90 wins.  Of course, it depends on health, and let's face it, the Mets seem to have zero luck in that department.  It's hard not to imagine that some of guys will get hurt.

'7', re:  what you said about World Series expectations with this staff (in the NFL thread)...I think as long as they all appear to be so fragile and incapable of throwing 200 IP in any given year, I can't assume that they should find a way to lead their team to a WS Championship in the next three seasons.  I'd like to see them all survive a season first. 

They at least seem to have some nice depth though...they're probably going to need it.

The Nats didn't take any steps forward either to improve their club...they tried but fell short on a lot of fronts (I do think Adam Eaton is going to be an absolute annoying pest for us though) but I'm hoping Murphy is less Ruthian and Werth actually plays like he's 38. Scherzer is no kid either and tossed 240 innings last year (220 each of the 2 years before that) would love to see his performance decline.

Wouldn't shock me if all of these guys end up having up and down injury plagued careers...however I think we've reached a point where they're all in their primes, they're about as strong and resilient as they've ever been...

What's crazy is Terry Collins is entering his 7th year as our manager, will win his 500th game as a Met (will pass Valentine for 2nd overall in wins) and win his 1000th game as an MLB manager.

It will probably be his last year in the bigs but, who the hell thought this stopgap would get this far?

Edited by '7'

That's fair, about the Nats and their offseason.  I won't go into details again, but it's still aggravating that some Mets who are not part of the solution are still here.  

Re:  Terry...guy has nine lives and then some.  He really shouldn't be the manager anymore, and will likely continue to get in the way...he makes a lot of WTF decisions.  But like I've always maintained, his team always plays hard, and his players really like him.  And because Gsellman and Lugo both came up and pitched well, Terry winds up (wrongly) getting credit for the Mets getting into the WC game.  The Mets have made two postseasons more in spite of Terry than because of him.  He'll always be more of an obstacle to me than a real help to this team.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Hard to believe, but:

Pitchers and catchers tomorrow.

Full squad 2/17.

First full squad workout 2/19.

First spring game 2/24. 

And the season starts off pretty home-heavy for the Mets...41 of their first 69 games will be played at home...only 40 out of their remaining 93 games will be played in their own building.  Gotta get off to a good start. 

Hard to believe, but: Pitchers and catchers tomorrow.

Full squad 2/17.

First full squad workout 2/19.

First spring game 2/24. 

And the season starts off pretty home-heavy for the Mets...41 of their first 69 games will be played at home...only 40 out of their remaining 93 games will be played in their own building.  Gotta get off to a good start. 

I'm sorry but it's ridiculous that spring training starts this early. The season ended like 10 minutes ago. This is my biggest issue with baseball- the season is never-ending. Spring training should start the second week of March, go for a month, then the regular season starts the second week of April. That's how it should be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm sorry but it's ridiculous that spring training starts this early. The season ended like 10 minutes ago. This is my biggest issue with baseball- the season is never-ending. Spring training should start the second week of March, go for a month, then the regular season starts the second week of April. That's how it should be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what happens when you have extra rounds in the playoffs now.  But they could probably shave a week or so off spring.  Even the players admit that they get sick of waiting for the season to start during the last 10 games or so of the spring season. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This is what happens when you have extra rounds in the playoffs now.  But they could probably shave a week or so off spring.  Even the players admit that they get sick of waiting for the season to start during the last 10 games or so of the spring season. 

Well that's not why they're starting early (even for Spring Training), it's the dopey WBC.  Usually ST does start about a week later and ST games would start right at the end of the month.  I don't even know how many Mets are going to be involved in the WBC though, I just know Cabrera threw a sh!tfit about being left off Venezuela.

I don't know whether to be meh or worried that Thor put on 17 pounds of muscle and said he wants to throw even harder.  To me that's like tempting the gods to strike him down with an arm injury, it's not like he was some soft tosser before :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

• 2 weeks later...

Yea that's not a good omen with Thor. I mean I'm all for trying to improve stamina and flexibility and all, but Thor doesn't have to keep up with the Gronkowski's regarding beastliness. You're a pitcher, you already throw about as hard as a human arm can genetically allow you to throw. I mean what is he going to crank it up to 104 or 105 now? I don't even want to see him try...

Balkin Bob Davidson retired, as did Jim Joyce (one of the better non a$$hole umps) John Hirschbeck and Tim Welke also called it quits

Davidson was not a good one. Good to see him gone. Quick trigger finger, anything borderline was a balk. Hopefully CB Bucknor and Angel Hernandez is next (Hernandez I'm convinced used to deliberately miss calls just to get back at players and managers who would call him out earlier) He literally meddles in games.

Edited by '7'

Apparently one or two days of throwing was enough to make Wright's shoulder sore, going back to NY for tests. Not that I expected much from him anyway but David, do yourself a favor and give up the ghost. Your body's telling you you can't play, I know it's tough but this is just sad now.

In other news the Nats sign Blanton to a one year deal, lovely :P

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Apparently one or two days of throwing was enough to make Wright's shoulder sore, going back to NY for tests. Not that I expected much from him anyway but David, do yourself a favor and give up the ghost. Your body's telling you you can't play, I know it's tough but this is just sad now.

In other news the Nats sign Blanton to a one year deal, lovely :P

Yeah, as long as David is somewhat in the picture, the Mets will continue to act like he still has a chance to be a significant part of the team's plans.  It's enough...it sucks, but his body simply can't take baseball anymore.  You can definitely give him a job within the organization, he's a first-class guy, but enough with Wright the player. 

Rafael Montero with four scoreless spring innings so far, and 6 K to boot.  At least he is showing just the slightest sign of a pulse. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, as long as David is somewhat in the picture, the Mets will continue to act like he still has a chance to be a significant part of the team's plans.  It's enough...it sucks, but his body simply can't take baseball anymore.  You can definitely give him a job within the organization, he's a first-class guy, but enough with Wright the player. 

To be fair there's the matter of the $67 million he's owed the next four years which makes it hard to 'retire' and almost as hard for the Mets to shelve him forever, it'd have to be Prince Fielder like where he gets a doctor's note.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

To be fair there's the matter of the $67 million he's owed the next four years which makes it hard to 'retire' and almost as hard for the Mets to shelve him forever, it'd have to be Prince Fielder like where he gets a doctor's note.

I know it's complicated.  But this situation can't continue as is.  The guy just can't physically play anymore.  Hopefully they can come to some kind of compromise.  On the other side, the Mets have been paying him very well for very little return on this contract. 

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know it's complicated.  But this situation can't continue as is.  The guy just can't physically play anymore.  Hopefully they can come to some kind of compromise.  On the other side, the Mets have been paying him very well for very little return on this contract. 

He's so broken down that he has to retire for the good of his future and family. All the nagging injuries that I'm sure will be in his future will stem from his stenosis and all the compensatory measures he has to take. In preparing for games, in throwing, in his swing. It effects everything and it leads to injuries...plus he's 34. Even guys who have had mostly healthy careers break down at this age anyway (especially in the post steroid era where you no longer have guys built like Lex Luger hitting 45 home runs at 38) 

I don't think Wright wants to go though, he has been through so many wretched years that he suddenly sees an opportunity to be part of a Mets team that is a legit World Series contender. Come hell or high water...he doesn't want to walk out on this.

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rafael Montero with four scoreless spring innings so far, and 6 K to boot.  At least he is showing just the slightest sign of a pulse. 

I'm surprised the Mets have even held on to him for this long (he'll be 27 in October) but they must believe if he ever pans out as a late bloomer his upside can be very high. Only makes 500k...but this guy has become the ultimate forgotten man within our organization. 2011 he made his debut with the cyclones and 6 years later he's still a project.

I get that to an extent, re:  Wright not wanting to go out like this, but the Mets have paid him a fortune and have gotten damned near nothing in return in Years 2-4 of his current deal...a ton of missed games and a clearly diminished skillset.  Sometimes it has to be on the player too, to do the right thing by the franchise who sunk a ton of money into him, and have yet to get a positive return on their investment.  Wright obviously did some very good things here and looked like a future Hall of Famer through 2008, but with all of the seemingly endless lack of clutch and constant disappointments since then, the Mets don't owe him anything.  Do the right thing David.  Call it a career.  This team is actually pretty good now...you're just getting in the way.  You gave it your best and I respect that you did, and it would've been nice if the Mets improving could've coincided with your prime, but you can't play anymore.  Listen to your body. 

35 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'm surprised the Mets have even held on to him for this long (he'll be 27 in October) but they must believe if he ever pans out as a late bloomer his upside can be very high. Only makes 500k...but this guy has become the ultimate forgotten man within our organization. 2011 he made his debut with the cyclones and 6 years later he's still a project.

Montero got a little lucky here, in that so many prospects have graduated, and Gsellman and Lugo (five perfect spring innings for him so far) have worked their way up the depth chart.  There simply isn't much behind the current crop that is major-league ready (obviously to be expected with all of the young arms now major-league ready).  Yeah, we've been through it before, but the names that were all grouped together not so long ago was Harvey, deGrom, and Montero.  To recap, Montero was basically trying to turn things back around in AA after being demoted (he had some good quick-glance numbers, but still was walking too many), and of course, his major league appearances last season were same old-same old...too many walks and just painful to watch. 

For me, this is it with him.  It's either now or never.  No more teases. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

26 minutes ago, '7' said:

He's so broken down that he has to retire for the good of his future and family. All the nagging injuries that I'm sure will be in his future will stem from his stenosis and all the compensatory measures he has to take. In preparing for games, in throwing, in his swing. It effects everything and it leads to injuries...plus he's 34. Even guys who have had mostly healthy careers break down at this age anyway (especially in the post steroid era where you no longer have guys built like Lex Luger hitting 45 home runs at 38) 

I don't think Wright wants to go though, he has been through so many wretched years that he suddenly sees an opportunity to be part of a Mets team that is a legit World Series contender. Come hell or high water...he doesn't want to walk out on this.

There's that too, though the Mets would obviously find a way to get him a WS ring if we won and he didn't play, it's still not the same as actually being part of it. I definitely feel for him there. If this was the 2009-14 Mets I suspect this decision would be easier for all parties.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-kills-intentional-walk-chalk-on-the-grass/ar-AAnIH5a

No more four-pitch intentional walks.  Not going to make much difference, as far as speeding up the game goes.  Some games don't even have intentional walks.

All for replays being sped up though.  At least they got that one right. 

13 hours ago, Hi, I'm VALUE! said:

I love the story about the Dodgers asking the Mets to put reference markers on Citi Field.  Did they really think that was going to happen?

Yeah that's pretty damned ballsy/stupid.  Do you mind if we try to give ourselves more of an advantage that might help us beat your team in your ballpark?  Right.

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-kills-intentional-walk-chalk-on-the-grass/ar-AAnIH5a

No more four-pitch intentional walks.  Not going to make much difference, as far as speeding up the game goes.  Some games don't even have intentional walks.

All for replays being sped up though.  At least they got that one right. 

I'm ok with eliminating the four pitches, though we have seen some goofy happenings (wild pitches resulting in runners scoring, HBP's, intentional walk base hits) it's rare but it's cool to see sometimes. Also I kind of like it when a slugger gets walked and the crowd boos during all 4 pitches as a shame for perceived cowardice.

I also recall Joe Torre's idiotic extra innings suggestion of starting every top half of an inning with a man on 2nd. Not sure where they're at with experimenting with this in the minors but I hope the idea never gets legs. The MLB really needs to stop listening to and treating Torre like some holy guru. He's not.

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1