NFL Off Season 2017 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

Now that the offseason has opened for sure (thanks PacMan), let's get this show on the road - the thread for everyone who's not still playing pro football.

The NFL's Official Coaching Tracker is here - use it as the primary resource for all hirings and firings on the coaching front.

If back-roster moves are your thing, then this link seems reliable enough to track the Reserve/Futures Contract signing.

On draft prospects, CBS tends to keep a pretty good list before the NFL's list begins, and you can find that here.

Otherwise, this is the open thread for all the things NFL-related.  Have at it, ladies and gents.

According to Ian Rappaport, apparently the Chargers want to interview CR's favorite coach, Matt Patricia, for their head coaching vacancy. The Fins' defensive coordinator, Vance Joseph, is getting several interview requests as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

According to Ian Rappaport, apparently the Chargers want to interview CR's favorite coach, Matt Patricia, for their head coaching vacancy. The Fins' defensive coordinator, Vance Joseph, is getting several interview requests as well.

Oh man CR Congratulations if you can get rid of Patricia! I always forget he's an actual coach...it's like "Wait who is the Patriot O-Lineman on IR with the beard and why does he have a headset on?"

12 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Vance Joseph is highly regarded. He actually started his NFL career being thrown out on Sunday(or Monday) Night Football by idiot Kotite against Tim Brown pretty much never having played CB before. He was a QB and converted to corner. Brown torched him but Joseph became a student of the position and found himself back in the NFL ranks as a respected secondary coach. Interesting story.

29 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lol, he will be Romeo Crennel all over again if he gets a HC gig.  The only way that doesn't happen is if he puts together a phenomenal staff. 

NO ONE has benefitted from Brady over the years more than Patricia.  All those years of 500+ point offenses in the regular season covered up for his Ds for so many years.  This year, one of the weakest opposing QB groups ever made the Patriot D look very very good...to be fair, not-good QBs have lit up the NE D on a number of occasions the past several seasons (I'll never forget when Dan Orlovsky was carving up the D in Foxborough, as I was there for that one, in a year that the Colts were trying to throw their season...check out Orlovsky's game log from that year):

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/8559/year/2011

Patricia has only been the "official" DC since 2012, but has been calling the plays since 2009 (after Dean Pees left).

What's kind of ironic is that the Boston media was FINALLY catching onto Patricia's Ds being covered up for by Brady and the offense...and now that the D has feasted on this string of weak offenses and meh-ish QBs, they're all suddenly buying in 100%.  Don't get me wrong, the D has played well as of late, but these are not measuring-stick games by any stretch.

I think Josh McDaniels could potentially show improvement as a HC if (seems like when) he gets another shot...but I'll be stunned if Patricia can succeed.  Just don't see it.     

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Vance Joseph is highly regarded. He actually started his NFL career being thrown out on Sunday(or Monday) Night Football by idiot Kotite against Tim Brown pretty much never having played CB before. He was a QB and converted to corner. Brown torched him but Joseph became a student of the position and found himself back in the NFL ranks as a respected secondary coach. Interesting story.

He's done a pretty good job this year as far as putting players in positions to succeed and developing the young DB's- he's done a great job with Tony Lippett specifically, who was a converted college WR who the Dolphins drafted to play CB and has I think 4 or 5 picks this year. His scheme is solid, he's just been handicapped by a very weak and banged up LB core, and as I mentioned in the Dolphins thread, both starting safeties are out as well. The defense has given up a franchise high in yards this year, yet they were able to do a good job of bending but not breaking and making big plays at the right time. VJ deserves credit. I'd like him to stick around one more year, but if he gets a job, I'd call Gus Bradley to be his replacement if I was Adam Gase.

"We all have had to grow up at different times in our lives. It's time for him [Odell Beckham] to do that. It's time for him to grow up. He's been here for three years now. He's a little bit of a lightning rod because of what he does off the football field. Everybody knows he's a gifted player, but there are things he does that he needs to look at himself in the mirror and be honest with himself. We'll help him with that, but he has to help himself. He's a smart guy, but sometimes he doesn't do smart things. It comes down to him being responsible. We'll definitely hold him accountable for the vandalism he did to the wall in Green Bay. One-thousand percent. I spoke to him about that today. When Odell comes to my office, I tell him the truth. He heard the truth today, and I think he's going to do the things that he needs to do to be accountable for of his actions going forward." --Jerry Reese

..and with that folks.. Mr. Maniac has just been put on notice. FINAL notice

Edited by Beezer34

Looks like Vance Joseph is going to get an offer from Denver for the HC job, but if not, will definitely be some other team's HC unless he really botches things.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/report-broncos-job-offer-expected-for-vance-joseph/

The Dolphins D was dreadful this year, but I get that there were a lot of injuries, although all teams have those.  You don't get a HC offer being that young unless you're doing something right, so I guess it's a loss for the Phins.

As a replacement, I would love Rex to do the ultimate troll job on the Jets and Bills and become the Phins DC, but I don't really see that happening.  My guess is that Rex goes into broadcasting and still collects his paycheck from the Bills.

Denver is a solid organization. I don't see them whiffing on Joseph. The guy is a hard worker and will do well over their. The Broncos have a great infrastructure. I was not impressed with the Kubiak hire but Kubiak/Phillips turned into a Super Bowl combo for them. 

Joseph and McCoy will be a good coaching tandem with each other so long as McCoy doesn't want to make this a one-and-done HC search thing.  

On the Dolphins front, I wouldn't bring in a 3-4 guy anyway when our best defensive personnel are 4-3 guys primarily, but the NFL world needs a break from Rex Ryan, and I'm sure the reverse is true.

8 minutes ago, CRASHER said:

Rex Ryan is an overrated blowhard who talks big and produces little....sounds like the perfect guy for ESPN to hire :lol:

He talks big and produces mediocrity. To say he's been awful the past few years is probably a bit unfair.

I think McCoy does in fact want to be a head coach and I see him taking a job as soon as he has a successful year in Denver. 2nd time around I feel McCoy will do very well. Big whiff by the Jets not nabbing him. 

Not that anyone didn't see this coming...but the Chargers are officially on their way to Los Angeles:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18458293/chargers-announce-move-los-angeles-leaving-san-diego

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

What a joke. https://mobile.twitter.com/RapSheet/status/819579165036969985

Rumors also abound that the Chargers might dump their nickname altogether, though not right away:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-chargers-plan-to-play-in-30000-seat-soccer-stadium-in-2017-2018/

There's more: The Los Angeles Daily News' Vincent Bonsignore reports that the Chargers might consider changing their name at some point after relocation, though it won't happen in time for next season.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rumors also abound that the Chargers might dump their nickname altogether, though not right away:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-chargers-plan-to-play-in-30000-seat-soccer-stadium-in-2017-2018/

There's more: The Los Angeles Daily News' Vincent Bonsignore reports that the Chargers might consider changing their name at some point after relocation, though it won't happen in time for next season.

Spanos has to be one of the most tone deaf owners out there.  He basically had the opportunity to get the best of both worlds in relocating to a place that's not that far away so a lot of the teams' San Diego fans would probably go to games especially if the team became good again.  No he just wants to kill the team's old identity to unnecessarily pander to LA, a place that may or may not care that much about having not only one, but now two football teams, shiny new stadium notwithstanding. 

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The Internet is the best sometimes lmfao: http://dailysnark.com/la-chargers-release-new-logo-immediately-gets-destroyed-twitter/

Turtle...damn that's good.

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Speaking of the offseason, welcome to it Dallas. emoji23.png

In fairness, I can't lump this latest Dallas playoff loss in with some of the Romo-era failures...the kid played well at QB, and they did fight hard to come back, after being buried early.  Rodgers and his receiver had to make an insane play just to set up a long FG try.  Green Bay played just that little bit better and deserved to win, so give them all the credit in the world for pulling it out.  This one wasn't a choke-job for the Cowboys. 

Green Bay will be an awful matchup for NE if the Patriots get there (I think the Steelers can absolutely beat the Pats...still a lot of doubters as to whether NE's D is for real, as they've been facing a lot of shaky QBs and offenses).  I think the Pats could win a shootout against the Falcons, but they gotta get there first.  Starting to feel like this might be Green Bay's (and Aaron Rodgers') year.  Feels like Rodgers is tired of people who started knocking him a little earlier this season, and is on a serious mission to get another ring.

Check out both Rodgers' and Brady's TD-to-INT ratio since 2008 (Rodgers' first season as a fulltime starter):

Rodgers:  135 GP, 296 TD, 71 INT

Brady:  125 GP, 256 TD, 66 INT (if I throw in Brady's final 10 games of the 2007 season to even out the sample from a pure GP standpoint, then the numbers go up to 285 TD and 72 INT). 

Pretty outrageous stuff, though like I've always said, as terrific as both of these guys are (as are some of their peers, like Big Ben and Brees, to name two), the numbers in this era have just gotten goofy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976