Build around Hall

BostonNala370

1 hour ago, BostonNala370 said:

So we agree to build a team around Hall, I assume we mean offensive side. So who do you keep of present offensive players to start this re-build. I say Zajac, Wood and maybe Henrique.

How about you who do you keep?

I'd keep Zacha. He needs more time to develop. He should have spent this year in Albany doing so. 

Zajac because you need veteran presence and because of his two way play.

Wood because he's fun to watch and he works his ass off to the point he skates faster than his legs will allow.

I wouldn't mind Palmieri, depending what return you could get for him. 

Luke Gazdic because he wears my jersey size and I can buy and strip his Game Issued (not worn) jerseys from MeiGray. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'd keep Zacha. He needs more time to develop. He should have spent this year in Albany doing so. 

Zajac because you need veteran presence and because of his two way play.

Wood because he's fun to watch and he works his ass off to the point he skates faster than his legs will allow.

I wouldn't mind Palmieri, depending what return you could get for him. 

Luke Gazdic because he wears my jersey size and I can buy and strip his Game Issued (not worn) jerseys from MeiGray. 

I forgot about Zacha, he hasn't shown me much. Agree he should have been in Albany this season. 

37 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

I forgot about Zacha, he hasn't shown me much. Agree he should have been in Albany this season. 

I don't think they should keep him based on what he's done, but rather the fact that I wouldn't be inclined to give up on a high first round pick who is only 19 years old based on a half season of play on a crappy team. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BostonNala370 said:

He wasn't allowed to play in Albany this year.  It was Sarnia or NJ.  This biggest issue I see with him is that he has been timid.  He'll grow out of that, probably by the start of next season.   

I actually don't think we're as far off as it seems on some nights.   If they can add 2 top 4 D between free agency and maybe a deal with a team that's about to lose one in the expansion draft and get another top end forward in the upcoming entry draft, it slots a lot of our current players down onto more appropriate lines that they could thrive on.  Add Shattenkirk, one of the young 2nd pairing D guys from the Wild and a guy like Hischier in the draft and this is a pretty good team.   

PAP and Cammi should be moved for picks if possible.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lateralous said:

He wasn't allowed to play in Albany this year.  It was Sarnia or NJ.  This biggest issue I see with him is that he has been timid.  He'll grow out of that, probably by the start of next season.   

I actually don't think we're as far off as it seems on some nights.   If they can add 2 top 4 D between free agency and maybe a deal with a team that's about to lose one in the expansion draft and get another top end forward in the upcoming entry draft, it slots a lot of our current players down onto more appropriate lines that they could thrive on.  Add Shattenkirk, one of the young 2nd pairing D guys from the Wild and a guy like Hischier in the draft and this is a pretty good team.   

PAP and Cammi should be moved for picks if possible.   

If the only players we agree to keep from the present is Zacha, Hall, Zajac, Wood and maybe Henrique we are as close as you think. We are in deep trouble if we are to be a playoff team within two years from today. We haven't even spoken about goaltending and defense, that's next. We are in big trouble to improve to a playoff team in 2 years. 

Honestly I'd probably only keep the following from our current NHL roster:

Hall

Henrique

Palmieri

PAP

Zacha

Wood

Greene

Merrill

Santini

Severson

Schneider

Kinkaid

And I could be talked into trading Schneider, if I'm being honest.

Shero's #1 PRIORITY should be getting a dynamic young center for Hall.  You're wasting a guy like Hall having him play with guys like Zajac and, to a lesser extent, Henrique.

I would call Colorado tomorrow morning and get to talking about Duchene / MacKinnon.  See what it'd take.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Honestly I'd probably only keep the following from our current NHL roster:

Hall

Henrique

Palmieri

PAP

Zacha

Wood

Greene

Merrill

Santini

Severson

Schneider

Kinkaid

And I could be talked into trading Schneider, if I'm being honest.

Shero's #1 PRIORITY should be getting a dynamic young center for Hall.  You're wasting a guy like Hall having him play with guys like Zajac and, to a lesser extent, Henrique.

I would call Colorado tomorrow morning and get to talking about Duchene / MacKinnon.  See what it'd take.

If we want a competitive  team we get rid of PAP,.Greene, Merrill, Severson, Schneider and Kinkaid and build from there.

5 minutes ago, BostonNala370 said:

If we want a competitive  team we get rid of PAP,.Greene, Merrill, Severson, Schneider and Kinkaid and build from there.

I could see PAP, Greene and maybe Cory but what the hell's left if you get rid of everyone on that list.  There's really no one worth talking about in Albany.

I'm all for a true rebuild but you've gotta keep enough people to fill out the roster.

I wouldn't trade Cory, because you never know what will happen. Two trades, a great draft pick, couple of free agent signings and we could be right back in the playoffs. You need a solid goalie for that.

Not that he's been solid, but I still think that was more of an aberration than the norm. 

51 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I could see PAP, Greene and maybe Cory but what the hell's left if you get rid of everyone on that list.  There's really no one worth talking about in Albany.

I'm all for a true rebuild but you've gotta keep enough people to fill out the roster.

My point of this thread is we have a failed rebuild and it will take more than two years to see a change if then. At best we have 4 to 6  offensive keepers, 0 goalie keepers and a couple of defensive keepers for a rebuild. Basically that's unacceptable. Will you wait two or three more years to be a playoff team?

2 hours ago, BostonNala370 said:

My point of this thread is we have a failed rebuild and it will take more than two years to see a change if then. At best we have 4 to 6  offensive keepers, 0 goalie keepers and a couple of defensive keepers for a rebuild. Basically that's unacceptable. Will you wait two or three more years to be a playoff team?

How is it a failed rebuild?  We're rebuilding on the fly and this was never meant to be the final product.  There are certainly some obvious guys we should move for assets but as I pointed out previously, we're not that far off.   For all the hype about tanking, Toronto, buffalo, and Edmonton still kinda suck too and they were lucky enough to land guys like McDavid, Eichel and Matthews in the draft and there doesn't seem to be many of those on the horizon. Arizona blatantly tanked too and they really suck.  Also, before any response about the Leafs,  I know the hype in Toronto is out of control but they're not the second coming of the blackhawks dynasty so lets nip that one in the bud.   

• Like 1

On 01/14/2017 at 7:44 PM, BostonNala370 said:

I see the team as a failed rebuild to date not as as one stuck in mediocrity

We never rebuilt because we never had the resources to actually attempt one. The guys we could've sold for assets walked, and Lou was more concerned with patchwork than starting from scratch.

14 hours ago, BostonNala370 said:

Something you have to keep in mind:  lumping the end of Lou's era into the beginning of Shero's is unfair, as far as the current run of futility goes.  Lou kept Band-Aiding his team (and the owners allowed him to) and he didn't seem like he was ever going to tear it down.  Shero is clearly not going that route (obviously a very good thing), but when you think about it, how long has Shero had to do any rebuilding?  Just like the Devils didn't get here overnight, they're not going to get out of this overnight either.  What's unfortunate is that the young defensemen who we were hoping would pan out have so far turned in mixed results, and one of them (Gelinas) is already history.  Hope it's different with Santini. 

I think people sometimes forget how little Shero's inherited. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Something you have to keep in mind:  lumping the end of Lou's era into the beginning of Shero's is unfair, as far as the current run of futility goes.  Lou kept Band-Aiding his team (and the owners allowed him to) and he didn't seem like he was ever going to tear it down.  Shero is clearly not going that route (obviously a very good thing), but when you think about it, how long has Shero had to do any rebuilding?  Just like the Devils didn't get here overnight, they're not going to get out of this overnight either.  What's unfortunate is that the young defensemen who we were hoping would pan out have so far turned in mixed results, and one of them (Gelinas) is already history.  Hope it's different with Santini. 

I think people sometimes forget how little Shero's inherited. 

Can't disagree Actually I was pointing out we have a long way to go to be a playoff team not 2 years but probably 3 or 4 more years based on the players they have today, if they try through the draft. Do you agree?