GDT: Game 45 - Devils @ Vancouver 7PM, MSG+

RunninWithTheDevil

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree. Many many many years of having officials call offsides and foul balls etc and now the coaches challenge is brought in more to add artificial suspense rather than solve some real issue. Officials are humans and some games have had their outcomes altered by human error since they began, I don't like changing that now. It was something I always accepted as a possibility. That being said, eventually it will go the way we want it to so it will all even out.

what stinks is this was ALL because of one ridiculously egregious call

Was Hall offsides? Yup. Was it egregious? Nope. It's the kind of thing that if the challenge rule didn't exist, nobody would have even thought to go look at it. And if they did, they'd be more concerned about Coleman than Hall himself. If you have possession entering the zone, then it really shouldn't matter. Receiving a pass, fine. But Hall was carrying himself and brought himself an inch over before the puck with possession.

I'm not going to go too crazy - it's the right call. It's just stupid because it didn't effect the play.

• Like 1

i didnt even think a guy with the puck could go offsides on himself but hall has done it before...you have to be dragging the puck behind you and its so close its ridiculous; i cant.

how is it that the leafs are in 3rd over the sens with the same points and games played and two less regulation wins?

but yeah that goal differential stat is telling.

devs just need mojo or chem or flow; its not there for them and i want to blame henrique but thats another topic.

I thought they played a pretty perfect road game. Absolutely hate the offsides challenge, that call would never in a million years be made by a ref with the naked eye. He's only offsides when you watch it in one frame per second with the camera zoomed all the way in on the puck. Friggin thing is like an inch off his stick and it's part of like a one second break in possession for him. Whatever.

Zajac with that back check is probably the play of the year to be honest. Perfect back check, flawlessly steals it AND springs Hall the other way. We all take him for granted.

I'm not going to kid myself with dreams of the playoffs, but these past two games (and I guess stealing a point in EDM too even though they were outplayed and didn't have the puck much) are exactly what I want to see going forward. The last month and a half+ of hockey was so brutal because it felt like there was zero progress being made. EVERYONE was sucking. Nobody was doing well. We were allowing more goals than anyone in the league. All I wanted to do was get back to a point where watching them was actually enjoyable and you could see tangible progress being made. Merill has looked good lately. Santini has been what we all hoped he would. The whole defense as a unit is back to normal - I think in 8GP since Jan. 1 now they've allowed only 15 goals. (I think I saw that on the broadcast last night anyway) Now if the offense could get guys going, then you'd end up feeling even better. There's been a little of that. Hall's back to producing on this trip. Even a much maligned guy (by fans) like Kyle Palmieri is up to 25P now. Not really unreasonable to think he could potentially still hit 50 points which is almost the same type of production he had last year.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The defense has looked a lot better ever since John Moore got hurt. I hope for his speedy recovery, but in no way should Moore be inserted back in the lineup when he's healthy again should Santini continue to play like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, id be curious what the splits have been since he's been out of the lineup

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The defense has looked a lot better ever since John Moore got hurt. I hope for his speedy recovery, but in no way should Moore be inserted back in the lineup when he's healthy again should Santini continue to play like this.

Yup, id be curious what the splits have been since he's been out of the lineup

• Like 1

I will say it again, green/severson,, merrill/santini... one and two.  And leave it until  the wheels come off.

There's zero advantage to a player who carrys the puck in by himself , begin offsides, why call it. It's not the intent of the rule.

Someone needs to tell merrill to carry the puck in more, he gets rid of it like a hot potato . Kid can skate. But lacks confidence . Santana seems to like carrying it with speed

JJ has earned some playing time

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was at that miserable game and although I kinda feel like a douche for saying it, during the first intermission I told my friend and brother "that happening might be the best thing for our defense..."

Hate to see THAT be the reason he's taken out of the lineup and never want to see anyone that puts on the NJ get hurt but there's really no denying he's our worst defender. I don't blame the front office for taking a chance on him and trying to let him work it out, but he hasn't panned out and at this rate it's clear he's never going to pan out.

14 hours ago, Steven M. said:

I thought they played a pretty perfect road game. Absolutely hate the offsides challenge, that call would never in a million years be made by a ref with the naked eye. He's only offsides when you watch it in one frame per second with the camera zoomed all the way in on the puck. Friggin thing is like an inch off his stick and it's part of like a one second break in possession for him. Whatever.

Zajac with that back check is probably the play of the year to be honest. Perfect back check, flawlessly steals it AND springs Hall the other way. We all take him for granted.

I'm not going to kid myself with dreams of the playoffs, but these past two games (and I guess stealing a point in EDM too even though they were outplayed and didn't have the puck much) are exactly what I want to see going forward. The last month and a half+ of hockey was so brutal because it felt like there was zero progress being made. EVERYONE was sucking. Nobody was doing well. We were allowing more goals than anyone in the league. All I wanted to do was get back to a point where watching them was actually enjoyable and you could see tangible progress being made. Merill has looked good lately. Santini has been what we all hoped he would. The whole defense as a unit is back to normal - I think in 8GP since Jan. 1 now they've allowed only 15 goals. (I think I saw that on the broadcast last night anyway) Now if the offense could get guys going, then you'd end up feeling even better. There's been a little of that. Hall's back to producing on this trip. Even a much maligned guy (by fans) like Kyle Palmieri is up to 25P now. Not really unreasonable to think he could potentially still hit 50 points which is almost the same type of production he had last year.

I mentioned the bolded earlier in the thread...it's actually a little better, in that two of the goals were empty-netters in the 3-0 loss to Florida.  But it doesn't really feel like a drastic improvement in defensive play, as much as it feels like some better puck luck (though Cory was due for some).  Hope Santini can keep up what we've seen so far.  It'd be nice for the one of these young guys to not be disappointing.