2018 JETS

Beezer34

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In fairness Beez, not everyone on that list was worth keeping. For starters, did you really want Revis, Fitzpatrick, and Smith to stick around any longer?

Difficult to say that when everyone's landed on their feet CR. (with the exception of Revis) The Giants signed Geno & Marshall.. Tampa signed Fitz & Folk.. Houston signed Gilchrist & Breno.. Pryor went to Cleveland.. Decker's on the Titans.. Harris to the Pats, and (from everything I'm reading) it looks like Mangold will be with the Skins by next week. I've never heard of that before. I've never heard of 10 guys getting cut, and all finding other gigs within a month. It'd be one thing if they were wandering around unsigned.. but that didn't happen.

And would I want Geno Smith & Ryan Fitzpatrick back? My answer is: Over who? Would I want them back for Glennon, Cutler, or sh!t.. even RG3? --no. But would I take either of them back over Hackenberg, an injured Petty, and\or Josh fvcking McCown? That's like asking me if I'd rather 6 day old leftovers over dog food. No one wants the leftovers.. but they'll eat it over Kibbles & Bits.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

I sympathize with Beez in that it feels disheartening going into a season knowing it's already over and you have absolutely no hope, no chance. Even in bad Jets season (2005, 2007, last year etc) there was hope heading into it.

Exactly. That's all any fan ever wants... hope. Even if they know they're going to have a bad year, make them aware that the organization isn't TRYING to lose. What the Jets are doing is disgraceful. They're manipulating the system to get a franchise QB. It's dirty pool. This is not going to be some 3-4 win season.... this is going to be BAD. Like 0-16 bad. --and the fact that they deliberately orchestrated it to get their way? Sorry. I can never get behind that.

I fully expect the league to step in (either during or after this season) with some sort of guideline(s).. that if any other team ever tries to pull what the Jets did, there will be consequences.

Edited by Beezer34

The Browns have basically tanked two years in a row (cutting Joe Haden the latest example) and are stockpiling picks like Jimmy Johnson circa 1989, but the Jets are going to get the rules changed? I find it hard to believe, the NFL loves parity and a non lottery system helps foster parity. Imagine the uproar if there was a lottery when the Pats missed the playoffs and somehow wound up with the #1 pick lol. Hell the Devils were lucky to get the #1 this year.

The only criticism I have of this is that you're basically not giving Petty or Hack - guys Macc himself drafted - any chance to show the Jets don't need to draft a QB. In a way it'd be better if the offense was halfway decent and the D sucked instead of the other way around, then you could give these guys (again this regime's own picks) a fair shot.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Tanking is a relatively new phenomenon in the NFL, but with the QBs that are available in the top 2 or 3 picks, this seems to be a very good year to do it. 

I think they're doing what they have to do generally, but it seems to be overkill trying to dump Richardson for virtually nothing.  They have the makings of a defense that could be very good and maybe elite for the long term.  Richardson should be part of it, and he won't be the difference between picking one or two and falling all the way to eight or nine right now.  Their offense is so putrid that I don't think the 85 Bears defense could make the Jets a non-awful team.    From the perspective of someone who never wants to see the Jets win, I like the fact that the Dolphins are getting what should be two easy wins this year, and probably next year.  But in the long run, the Jets might turn out to be in the best position to rule the division long term once the Patriots run ends. 

The only thing I'll say is that I might be nervous about MacCagnan running the rebuild if I were a Jets fan.  I'm being told that it was his idea to draft Hackenberg that early, rather than it being at Woody's insistence.  Makes you seriously question the man's judgment if that's the case.

We're not the first or last team to try such a brazen, transparent tank. In football or any other sport. And so many teams have been rewarded by it as well. The Penguins (twice!) the Colts (twice) with Manning and Luck. The Titans did it for Mariota. Lions for Stafford. 

In the NFL if you tank and get your franchise QB, you can from then on pretty much lock yourself in for 10-12 seasons where you go into a year and there is some kind of hope, that's how much of a QB driven league this is. 

The argument can also be made that, when this tank is through...does Mac get to pick the players for the rebuild? Does he deserve it? 

Bowles almost certainly won't be here that's how inept he is. But will Mac get a chance to try to build this up, and hire his own coach? As Daniel mentioned the Hackenberg pick looms large. Some of the jury is still out on that but early returns are bad. But Hackenberg is a 2nd rounder and while it's a strike against him, it's not a massive one. But striking out on Darron Lee and failing to pick up serviceable linemen...that could really hurt.

Drafting two safeties this year was also critiqued on a team that's so heavily slanted towards defense. Luckily Maye and Adams look like solid NFL players. We need them to grow into stars though

Edited by '7'

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The only thing I'll say is that I might be nervous about MacCagnan running the rebuild if I were a Jets fan.  I'm being told that it was his idea to draft Hackenberg that early, rather than it being at Woody's insistence.  Makes you seriously question the man's judgment if that's the case.

Yeah that's the other issue with tanking now. While nobody is as bad as Idzik, MM certainly hasn't distinguished himself at the draft table to this point either other than when top talents like Williams and hopefully Adams fall in his lap.

And the Sheldon problem is more due to the fact they tied their wagon to Mo and have Williams as well. You can only pay so many DE big money, plus are they going to keep Sheldon at OLB or Mo at NT just to have them all play? That won't work long term.

Fitz is one of those guys who should find work as a "won't play unless there's a disaster scenario" backup somewhere, as long as his body's up to it...but he blew his shot to be a year-in year-out starter in the NFL last season...which is why he's stuck in a no-shot-to-start situation now.  Jets did get one fine year out of him (a career-year), for what that's worth (and at reasonable dollars), and they successfully waited him out on last year's deal.  Fitz will be a guy who bounces around until he hangs 'em up.  Sure, he'll be a warm body for the Bucs, but this is not the same situation as when he signed with the Jets, when there was clearly a chance he could be the starter with a questionable Geno Smith being the incumbent (of course Smith's broken jaw gave Fitz his big chance).  With Winston CLEARLY being the undisputed man for the Titans, Fitz will only see garbage time, unless Mariota gets hurt. 

Geno's in a similar situation...does Eli EVER miss a game (the answer is no)?  Geno may have gotten a job, but it's to hold a clipboard.  Not all backup QB spots are created equal, and there's a reason Geno and Fitz find themselves where they are. 

I didn't say ALL of those players were undesirables (and it's not uncommon to see guys turn up elsewhere, even ones that don't seem to be worth the trouble)...but Smith and Fitz had to go (might as well see what you've got with Hackenberg and Petty sometime this season, even if it's not right away), and so did Revis.  And with the Jets current QB situation, what's the point of keeping Decker (who has already been sidelined this preseason with a sprained ankle)?  Decker's already 30 years old as well...not a kid. 

As far as a lottery system goes...yeah, implementing one might stop obvious tanks (like what the Colts did when they sucked for Luck), but as long as there isn't one in place, I can't get on the Jets too much for going this route.  Put it this way Beez:  if the Jets had kept most of the players who were cut, are they a playoff team?  Fitz was dreadful last season...maybe he would've been a little better this year, but by how much? 

The Jets tore down a 5-win team, with some of the players who figured pretty heavily into the Jets being 5-11 being shown the door.  Hard to get on them for that.          

8 minutes ago, '7' said:

We're not the first or last team to try such a brazen, transparent tank. In football or any other sport. And so many teams have been rewarded by it as well. The Penguins (twice!) the Colts (twice) with Manning and Luck. The Titans did it for Mariota. Lions for Stafford. 

In the NFL if you tank and get your franchise QB, you can from then on pretty much lock yourself in for 10-12 seasons where you go into a year and there is some kind of hope, that's how much of a QB driven league this is. 

The argument can also be made that, when this tank is through...does Mac get to pick the players for the rebuild? Does he deserve it? 

Bowles almost certainly won't be here that's how inept he is. But will Mac get a chance to try to build this up, and hire his own coach? As Daniel mentioned the Hackenberg pick looms large. Some of the jury is still out on that but early returns are bad. But Hackenberg is a 2nd rounder and while it's a strike against him, it's not a massive one. But striking out on Darron Lee and failing to pick up serviceable linemen...that could really hurt.

Drafting two safeties this year was also critiqued on a team that's so heavily slanted towards defense. Luckily Maye and Adams look like solid NFL players. We need them to grow into stars though

Those Colts teams, the Titans and the Lions were obviously historically bad teams, but you haven't really seen conscious tanking the NFL like you're seeing now, which involves selling off valuable assets for no immediate return, cutting players that you can afford to keep that might help your team win, etc.  If anything, the Colts team that sucked for luck did it accidentally in that they realized somewhat late in the game that Manning was going to miss the entire season.  What you're seeing now is something a little different.

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah that's the other issue with tanking now. While nobody is as bad as Idzik, MM certainly hasn't distinguished himself at the draft table to this point either other than when top talents like Williams and hopefully Adams fall in his lap.

And the Sheldon problem is more due to the fact they tied their wagon to Mo and have Williams as well. You can only pay so many DE big money, plus are they going to keep Sheldon at OLB or Mo at NT just to have them all play? That won't work long term.

As to MM's drafting, it isn't so much whether he's gotten them wrong in the past.  Rather, it's a tendency to go so off the board.  If you're drafting Hackenberg that early, you better be right, which hasn't been the case.  Similarly if you're using your first two picks on safeties, you better be right about both of them. 

17 hours ago, Daniel said:

Tanking is a relatively new phenomenon in the NFL, but with the QBs that are available in the top 2 or 3 picks, this seems to be a very good year to do it. In the long run, the Jets might turn out to be in the best position to rule the division long term once the Patriots run ends.

There's no guarantee that the Suck for Sam campaign will actually get the Jets Darnold. The Jets tried this EXACT SAME TACTIC exactly 20 years ago, when they chased out Big Boomer and every other talented player they had in order to deliberately go 1-15 and draft Peyton Manning. It failed. Manning wasn't thrilled at how the Jets organization was running, and he decided to stay an additional year in college. From everything I'm reading, it seems like Darnold is less than enthusiastic about coming here. History repeat itself? http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70802/uscs-sam-darnold-clams-up-when-asked-about-playing-for-jets

17 hours ago, '7' said:

Will Mac get a chance to try to build this up, and hire his own coach? Some of the jury is still out on that but early returns are bad. But Hackenberg is a 2nd rounder and while it's a strike against him, it's not a massive one.

Oh yes it is. Hack slipped into the 2nd round in-part because he had Carr syndrome. He was beat up behind a poor o-line, and really needed to be drafted by a team who could protect him. Maccagnan took him anyway, even with the foresight in knowing that his (already old) offensive line, would be gone in one year time. The Jets were not the team to gamble on a guy like Hackenberg. He should've went to someone like the Rams or Cowboys, who have a good YOUNG o-line.

And now, notwithstanding.. you gauge him on a team without Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, any legitimate TE, a Frankenstein-like offensive line.. and, oh yeah.. let's trade Forte too?! So you're essentially admitting that you THREW AWAY a 2ND ROUND PICK only ONE YEAR LATER.... FOR NOTHING??!!!! Don't tell me that's a small strike 7. That's Mike Milbury sh!t.

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as a lottery system goes...yeah, implementing one might stop obvious tanks (like what the Colts did when they sucked for Luck)

The Colts didn't do what the Jets are doing CR. Daniel beat me to it. They discovered that Peyton was going to miss the season, and they did the best they could (on an already flawed team) with the cards they were dealt. They still went into that season with more talented players and veterans that the Jets have currently. NO TEAM has so blatantly done what the Jets are doing in recent memory. Sure.. you can sight teams that have tanked before the Jets here and there... but that only lends MORE credibility in the NFL putting their foot down now, in the wake of the Jets. When the Devils signed Kovalchuk to 17 years, 100 million dollars.. yes, there were several examples of other teams circumventing prior to the Kovy\NJ deal. But it was THAT deal, so flagrantly obvious, that caused the NHL to put their foot down.

I guarantee you, we will all see a draft lottery VERY soon based on how the Jets have whored themselves this offseason.

You have the '96 season all wrong. If the Jets were tanking that year they picked a funny way of going about it throwing big bucks at Elliott and the Houston tackle as well as Jeff Graham. Granted the latter two did nothing but the Jets weren't literally tanking, that was one of your 'organic' tanks. And Peyton decided to stay in college after Parcells took over, the rumored reason being Parcells didn't guarantee he would be the #1 pick (he couldn't legally) or that the Jets would keep the pick (which they didn't and they could have still had a HOF LT in Pace if they did).

Edited by NJDevs4978

23 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You have the '96 season all wrong. If the Jets were tanking that year they picked a funny way of going about it throwing big bucks at Elliott and the Houston tackle as well as Jeff Graham. Granted the latter two did nothing but the Jets weren't literally tanking, that was one of your 'organic' tanks. And Peyton decided to stay in college after Parcells took over, the rumored reason being Parcells didn't guarantee he would be the #1 pick (he couldn't legally) or that the Jets would keep the pick (which they didn't and they could have still had a HOF LT in Pace if they did).

Jeff Graham? :lol: Who was Jeff Graham? The second coming of Julio Jones? Graham was a decent player, but so is Bilal Powell. Regarding Jumbo Elliot, yes.. he was a quality 7 year veteran when the Jets signed him. But that doesn't mean they weren't trying to tank for Peyton. Last I checked, Morris Claiborne was signed here this offseason too. "Tanking" 20 years ago was also more inconspicuous.

Regarding Tuna, I have never heard that before today. I have heard Kyle Brandt say that Peyton didn't dig the Jets organization on Good Morning Football though.. and I don't know why that would have anything to do with an established HC like Parcells.

Edited by Beezer34

They also signed O'Donnell who was supposed to be their QB for years to come for 1997. I do think they Jets wanted to win that, but I just don't know how feasible that was with somebody like Kotite at the helm, who idiot Hess adored. 

I don't think Peyton was all that thrilled to play in NY for Parcells. The ideal situation for him was Indianapolis, where few people care relative to here, and under a middling pushover coach like Dungy where Peyton is really running the show over Tuna where he would definitely butt heads with him.

Edited by '7'

Haha how could I forget NOD?! I knew I was missing someone from that '92 Met like ill fated spending spree though. But yeah there was ridiculous optimism with the Jets after all those FA signings and drafting Keyshawn, people thought they would be 8-8, 9-7 at least.

And re: Peyton, Gary Myers is a good authority on all things Peyton (he wrote a book about him and Brady) and he seemed pretty definitive Peyton did want to play for Parcells but also wanted to stay in college and the decision was easier when Bill didn't give Archie the absolute assurances Peyton needed

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/myers-bill-parcells-made-peyton-manning-jets-qb-article-1.2556313

44 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Haha how could I forget NOD?! I knew I was missing someone from that '92 Met like ill fated spending spree though. But yeah there was ridiculous optimism with the Jets after all those FA signings and drafting Keyshawn, people thought they would be 8-8, 9-7 at least.

And re: Peyton, Gary Myers is a good authority on all things Peyton (he wrote a book about him and Brady) and he seemed pretty definitive Peyton did want to play for Parcells but also wanted to stay in college and the decision was easier when Bill didn't give Archie the absolute assurances Peyton needed

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/myers-bill-parcells-made-peyton-manning-jets-qb-article-1.2556313

Speaking of Neil O'Donnell...I was at the game (Pats vs Jets) where he got benched in favor of Glenn Foley, who started the second half and just went nuts...threw for 200 yards and led his team to three scores as they came back from being down 12-3 and 19-10 (they won 24-19 on the strength of two 4th-quarter scores)...the Jets couldn't have looked more lifeless in that first half, and just kind of exploded when Foley came into the game.  O'Donnell had a horrible habit of holding the ball away from his body like a loaf of bread...guys would just smack his hand and out the ball would come...in 21 games as a Jet, he fumbled the ball away 11 times (with the other team recovering nine of those). 

The other two things I remember about that game:

Some random Pats fan in the section behind me was WAAAAAAY over the top in cheering for the Pats...a lot of "P A T S  PATS PATS PATS!!!" and cheering loudly on EVERY single positive Patriots play.  I saw him in the bathroom at halftime (he was beyond hammered) and basically said "Dude, seriously, stop, you're going to get killed here."  He basically laughed, but by the middle of the third quarter, some Jets fans had finally had enough, and a fight ensued...he got thrown out shortly after.  Can't say that I was surprised, or that he didn't deserve it...the more drunk he got, the louder and more antagonistic he got.  The Jet fans around me that day were actually quite cool (in fairness, 95% of my experiences with Jet fans at Jets-Pats games in NJ, even with me wearing Patriots gear, have been absolutely fine). 

I wore a Bledsoe jersey to that game, and outside the stadium, some guy in a Mo Lewis jersey saw me and yelled "Lewis sacks Bledsoe!"  I thought he was kidding until he started coming at me full speed...fortunately, I can run pretty fast, so I was able to outrun him before he gave up, but he chased me across several parking lots before he finally did.  That's really been my one and only "rough" experience with a Jet fan.  They've been great otherwise.

And I just realized that that game happened almost 20 years ago.  fvck...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

That's an ironic pair of jerseys too, at least you have more mobility than the actual Drew with the actual Mo Lewis :P 

Yeah didn't even make that link...lol.  I still have the Bledsoe jersey, but haven't worn it in years (I bought it before I started working out and it probably wouldn't even fit right at this point)...it was the first authentic that I ever bought.  Gotta admit, that look hasn't aged well. 

52 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah didn't even make that link...lol.  I still have the Bledsoe jersey, but haven't worn it in years (I bought it before I started working out and it probably wouldn't even fit right at this point)...it was the first authentic that I ever bought.  Gotta admit, that look hasn't aged well. 

Side note: One of my Jet fan friends actually met Bledsoe up in Oregon last year (apparently he lives there now) when she was there on a skiing trip with her boyfriend.  I was mildly surprised she even knew who Bledsoe was since she was in her pre-teen years when he was in his prime :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978

Bledsoe is all about wineries now...think he might have one or two out there, not sure.  He had the arm but not quite the brains to match (he made his fair share of bad decisions and had some dreadful games in big spots...he was a pretty poor playoff performer...Pats got to a Super Bowl more in spite of him).  Heard him interviewed when he was inducted into the Patriots HOF and admired his honesty...he admitted he was plenty pissed that he was never given another opportunity with the Pats after he came back from injury.  He did come up plenty big in the AFC Championship game though...won't ever forget that.

Speaking of Neil O'Donnell...I was at the game (Pats vs Jets) where he got benched in favor of Glenn Foley, who started the second half and just went nuts...threw for 200 yards and led his team to three scores as they came back from being down 12-3 and 19-10 (they won 24-19 on the strength of two 4th-quarter scores)...the Jets couldn't have looked more lifeless in that first half, and just kind of exploded when Foley came into the game.  O'Donnell had a horrible habit of holding the ball away from his body like a loaf of bread...guys would just smack his hand and out the ball would come...in 21 games as a Jet, he fumbled the ball away 11 times (with the other team recovering nine of those). 

The other two things I remember about that game:

Some random Pats fan in the section behind me was WAAAAAAY over the top in cheering for the Pats...a lot of "P A T S  PATS PATS PATS!!!" and cheering loudly on EVERY single positive Patriots play.  I saw him in the bathroom at halftime (he was beyond hammered) and basically said "Dude, seriously, stop, you're going to get killed here."  He basically laughed, but by the middle of the third quarter, some Jets fans had finally had enough, and a fight ensued...he got thrown out shortly after.  Can't say that I was surprised, or that he didn't deserve it...the more drunk he got, the louder and more antagonistic he got.  The Jet fans around me that day were actually quite cool (in fairness, 95% of my experiences with Jet fans at Jets-Pats games in NJ, even with me wearing Patriots gear, have been absolutely fine). 

I wore a Bledsoe jersey to that game, and outside the stadium, some guy in a Mo Lewis jersey saw me and yelled "Lewis sacks Bledsoe!"  I thought he was kidding until he started coming at me full speed...fortunately, I can run pretty fast, so I was able to outrun him before he gave up, but he chased me across several parking lots before he finally did.  That's really been my one and only "rough" experience with a Jet fan.  They've been great otherwise.

And I just realized that that game happened almost 20 years ago.  fvck...

Lmfao, that story of the guy trying to sack you in the parking lot had me rolling CR. Dude must've been hammered lol. Yeah my interaction with Jet fans at games up here at Fins-Jets games has always been fine. I was at the Monday Night game in 2000 when we blew the 30-7 lead, which is the most brutal Dolphins game I've ever attended. The worst that happened that night was I had a bunch of Jet fans laugh and point at me as I walked to my car, which was to be expected after a game like that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Those days were still very much the wild west of attending football games, where many (far too many) people basically acted like drunken violent animals and were able to get away with it due to a smaller police presence and no social media with the fear of being outed. The stories I've heard from the 80's at Giants Stadium and before at Shea were crazy. You had some very heavy hard drug use going on in the lavatories and spirals. At Shea folks would very brazenly bribe ushers and basically sneak in liquor cabinets. It was a mess. The Bills game in 1989 when Jets fans tried to light the stadium on fire got us super double probation. The Giants snowball game in 1995 was the true catalyst for change though. Since the mid 90's it's been fine.

The only two stadiums where this stuff exists is Buffalo and Philly, and I think they've pretty much stopped trying to control what goes on there.

Edited by '7'

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lmfao, that story of the guy trying to sack you in the parking lot had me rolling CR. Dude must've been hammered lol. Yeah my interaction with Jet fans at games up here at Fins-Jets games has always been fine. I was at the Monday Night game in 2000 when we blew the 30-7 lead, which is the most brutal Dolphins game I've ever attended. The worst that happened that night was I had a bunch of Jet fans laugh and point at me as I walked to my car, which was to be expected after a game like that lol.

Re:  the would-be sacker...I really didn't think he was serious until he was about 10 feet away from me...then I realized "Oh sh!t, this fvcking guy really wants to drill me!"  I'm just glad he never caught up...he was pretty big, but not exactly in great shape...he was huffin and puffin plenty good after about 15 secs or so, though he chased me for a solid minute.

I was also at the Pats-Jets game that went to OT a couple of seasons ago, where BB elected to kick off, and the Jets promptly marched down the field and scored (one of the worst decisions he ever made...just made zero sense)...the Jets fans gave me some ribbing here and there (a few said, "Hey man, good game"), but it was all in good-natured fun and completely classy...not ONE Jet fan acted like a d*ck or tried to start anything. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, '7' said:

Those days were still very much the wild west of attending football games, where many (far too many) people basically acted like drunken violent animals and were able to get away with it due to a smaller police presence and no social media with the fear of being outed. The stories I've heard from the 80's at Giants Stadium and before at Shea were crazy. You had some very heavy hard drug use going on in the lavatories and spirals. At Shea folks would very brazenly bribe ushers and basically sneak in liquor cabinets. It was a mess. It got better in the mid to late 90's. I think that Giants snowball game may have been the catalyst 

Pats fans back in the Sullivan Stadium (Foxborough later) years were supposedly as bad as it got from that standpoint.  Supposedly you don't want to go into Buffalo wearing any opponent apparel even today, from what I've heard.  I'm sure Raider fans are pretty nuts too (though probably not anymore now that they're going to lose their team). 

I remember that guy who made the local front pages, caught right in the act of throwing a snowball...what was funny is that he looked EXACTLY like the kind of douchebag tool who would do something like that.

This fvckin guy:

Image result for giants stadium snowballs

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Well hopefully for us the conditions are met and we end up with the 2nd rounder. Kearse is a meh veteran receiver but instantly our best with Enunwa out. Satisfied with this deal. 

Kearse is probably living up to his last name after hearing about this...