The 334 Club

MadDog2020

There is no way they only made 90 of them.  There were a ton of them at the game last night and that website is selling them and they don't seem to have a cap or indication there is only a few made.  It's just that they are "limited edition."

The jackets themselves are alright, but since they are white myself and others I overheard at the store said they don't want to spend that much on a jacket that will look like crap after only a few weeks of wear.  Plus none of that stuff has any patch, any insignia or anything at all on it that mentions that it is connected to 334 club.  It's basically a winter throwback line that Starter and the Devils came up with and to push them more they released them at the same time as the 334 club was celebrating it's 30th anniversary.

The jackets actually look sick, and having nothing of 334 on them I'd wear it. Since I have to pay rent and drive a gas guzzler, I'll probably be passing on this one.

How many of the 334 are fans in any capacity at this point? I bet a chunk are dead and the bulk don't follow the team anymore. You might say you have to be a die hard to be at a game like that, but I'm never one to not drive in a snowstorm if I feel like going somewhere. I bet there were plenty of casual fans there.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, thecoffeecake said:

The jackets actually look sick, and having nothing of 334 on them I'd wear it. Since I have to pay rent and drive a gas guzzler, I'll probably be passing on this one.

How many of the 334 are fans in any capacity at this point? I bet a chunk are dead and the bulk don't follow the team anymore. You might say you have to be a die hard to be at a game like that, but I'm never one to not drive in a snowstorm if I feel like going somewhere. I bet there were plenty of casual fans there.

Would be interesting to actually find that info out...how many are still alive, how many are still following the team...even how many are still in the NJ area, etc.  There will obviously be a wide range of ages who attended that game, but trying to get that group together would be a bit like a organizing a high-school reunion, otherwise.  30 years is such a long time...I've never been to any of my high-school reunions, but I know that something like less than 50 showed up for the 25-year, out of about 350 (sadly, as should be expected, some have since passed on).  If the Devils ever did try to host some event to commemorate the 334, I'm guessing it'd be about the same...not much more than 50 would attend, if even that many. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Would be interesting to actually find that info out...how many are still alive, how many are still following the team...even how many are still in the NJ area, etc.  There will obviously be a wide range of ages who attended that game, but trying to get that group together would be a bit like a organizing a high-school reunion, otherwise.  30 years is such a long time...I've never been to any of my high-school reunions, but I know that something like less than 50 showed up for the 25-year, out of about 350 (sadly, as should be expected, some have since passed on).  If the Devils ever did try to host some event to commemorate the 334, I'm guessing it'd be about the same...not much more than 50 would attend, if even that many. 

I remember attending my high school 10-year anniversary about 5 or 6 years back.  Out of approximately 320 in my graduating class, about 120-150 showed up, which I think was pretty good considering it had no backing by the school and was entirely organized by 3-4 of my former classmates.  I was sick as a dog that night, but I went anyways with my girlfriend (who is now my wife).  Quite honestly it was weird as it was like being in HS again where the same cliques got right back together and no one speaking to anyone else outside their clique.

Plus with Facebook these days, the main reason to go to these things are now gone.  Reunions were a giant excuse to see what everyone has been up to since they graduated and since I am friends with about half of them on Facebook, I pretty much already know what they are up to.  Was very anti-climatic and not sure if I would go to any future ones.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I remember attending my high school 10-year anniversary about 5 or 6 years back.  Out of approximately 320 in my graduating class, about 120-150 showed up, which I think was pretty good considering it had no backing by the school and was entirely organized by 3-4 of my former classmates.  I was sick as a dog that night, but I went anyways with my girlfriend (who is now my wife).  Quite honestly it was weird as it was like being in HS again where the same cliques got right back together and no one speaking to anyone else outside their clique.

I pretty much hated everyone at my high school, so I don't bother with these kind of events. I know some people think it was the best time of their lives, I had an alternate experience I guess. But yeah, I don't need that clique-y BS now as an adult. 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I pretty much hated everyone at my high school, so I don't bother with these kind of events. I know some people think it was the best time of their lives, I had an alternate experience I guess. But yeah, I don't need that clique-y BS now as an adult. 

It was odd for sure.  It was like being a time warp where these people never really grew up and the douches were still douches, the stuck up bitches were still stuck up bitches, and the people who were nice were still generally nice.  I went to a pretty affluent school (it was listed as level I on the NJ socio-economic score the state places on local school systems from A-J) and most of the people I went to school with grew up to be ultra-liberal, wanna-be hipster snobs.  Not exactly my crowd.

Looking back on my HS years, they weren't great nor they were bad.  Freshman and Sophmore years were OK, hated Junior year, and Senior year was the one year I actually enjoyed.  So I think for me overall it was a wash.

23 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

It was odd for sure.  It was like being a time warp where these people never really grew up and the douches were still douches, the stuck up bitches were still stuck up bitches, and the people who were nice were still generally nice.  I went to a pretty affluent school (it was listed as level I on the NJ socio-economic score the state places on local school systems from A-J) and most of the people I went to school with grew up to be ultra-liberal, wanna-be hipster snobs.  Not exactly my crowd.

Looking back on my HS years, they weren't great nor they were bad.  Freshman and Sophmore years were OK, hated Junior year, and Senior year was the one year I actually enjoyed.  So I think for me overall it was a wash.

I did not have a typical high school experience. I could write a book!!

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I did not have a typical high school experience. I could write a book!!

High school (graduated 1988) was OK.  Some things I liked (especially my music...I was and still am a drummer), some things (and some people) blew.  All of the typical '80s cliques were accounted for...I started off kind of nerdy as a freshman, and by the time I was a junior, I had transitioned to a long-haired burnout (heavy metal T-shirts, ripped jeans, workboots, jean jacket w/an Anthrax backpatch, etc)...wasn't a big druggie or drinker, but I did get into my fair share of trouble, mostly by being a dumb rebellious teenager.  I had my friends and wasn't really miserable, but I just knew that I never meant to peak there.  It felt like a transition spot and that's how I approached it.  I was 100% ready to leave it all behind by the time I graduated.

College...completely different story.  Really enjoyed it.  A lot.  Some parts of it too much, heh heh.  Left after four years without graduating (in the end I just didn't know what I wanted to do), then went back in my mid-20s when I had different (and far more mature) priorities.  I only have a two-year degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, but built a business with my dad that's going strong, and learned way more by simple experience and by doing than I ever did by sitting in a classroom. 

I remember sometime in the early 90s, I caught up with an friend that I hadn't seen in a while, and we went to a local bar, in the town (Hillsborough) where I went to high school.  There was a group of about 7 or 8 ex-jocks (not all of that type were jerks by default in my school, but the ones in this bar were the worst offenders, the ones who all thought they were such hot sh!t because they played sports, even though most of our teams sucked ass when I was in school...these guys were also the ones that had done especially poorly in class, because they didn't realize that the whole sports dream was going to end immediately upon graduation, and never considered that they might want to study a little harder).  Seeing them again was funny, because all of them had the same look:  "What the hell happened to us, and when did the world stop kissing our asses?"  They weren't gods anymore and weren't getting any special privileges, and it was funny as hell seeing that they couldn't quite process it.  Post-high-school life does a nice job evening out that playing field in a hurry. 

On 1/19/2017 at 4:37 PM, mfitz804 said:

I was not there, but one of my friends growing up had tickets and didn't go, he kept the tickets in a frame. Used to say he was a member of the 18,706 Club (capacity minus 334, although this was years later and I don't know if the capacity was the same back then, but it was still funny). 

Pretty cool club to be a member of. 

11,247 was the amount of tickets sold for the game. So welcome to the 10,913 club ;-)

Actually I have no idea how much old Brendan Byrne officially sat. It looked enormous on the inside. They only used 19,040 as a dig at the Rangers. Even when we had crowds of 16,000 it seemed like there were tons of empties. And I mean giant chunks of empty seats.

That place should've sat around 16,500 people. I have no clue why they built it so big.

Edited by '7'

• 2 years later...