2017 Expansion Draft

Jerzey

I've been hearing some pretty decent names being tossed around as not being protected by their teams for this expansion draft. I think Shero might be able to grab a couple of good roster players. Minny will have excess D and NYI should have excess C. Maybe ever Strome.

As far as who Shero should protect I think we all agree the definite should be:

Hall

Zajac

Henrique

Palmieri

Cammy

?

?

Greene

Severson

?

Schneider

I don't remember where we landed on Clowe but I don't think we need to protect anyone else.  That could leave one or two spots on offense we can trade for and one on D. I honestly don't think Vegas will draft anyone from our team unless they're forced to. Kinky might be the victim but I think Vegas will have better goaltender options throughout the league.

1 hour ago, Jerzey said:

I've been hearing some pretty decent names being tossed around as not being protected by their teams for this expansion draft. I think Shero might be able to grab a couple of good roster players. Minny will have excess D and NYI should have excess C. Maybe ever Strome.

As far as who Shero should protect I think we all agree the definite should be:

Hall

Zajac

Henrique

Palmieri

Cammy

?

?

Greene

Severson

?

Schneider

I don't remember where we landed on Clowe but I don't think we need to protect anyone else.  That could leave one or two spots on offense we can trade for and one on D. I honestly don't think Vegas will draft anyone from our team unless they're forced to. Kinky might be the victim but I think Vegas will have better goaltender options throughout the league.

I don't think Las Vegas will end up taking anyone off our roster either. Which is good news and bad news at the same time.

Would be nice to leverage the situation to get a good deal on a dman from a team like Minnesota, I think that is a real possibility, have trade capital with all of our picks as well.

How does the expansion draft work for other teams?  I might be having a brain cramp right now, but I thought it was basically just a draft for that one new team, where they go through 23 picks or whatever and select players from any team they want as long as they're unprotected?  How/when/why do we get a chance to claim players from other teams left unprotected?

Mike Cammalleri has a no-trade clause, so he does not have to be protected.  I wouldn't protect him if I were Shero, but I doubt Vegas takes him.  Ryane Clowe will receive an injury exemption and will not have to be protected either.

Assuming Blandisi doesn't have to be protected, I would protect Hall, Zajac, Henrique, Palmieri, Bennett, Noesen and some 7th forward I don't know yet.

29 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Assuming Blandisi doesn't have to be protected, I would protect Hall, Zajac, Henrique, Palmieri, Bennett, Noesen and some 7th forward I don't know yet.

Bennett?   I would protect Noesen, but I couldn't care less about Bennett.

But you do have a much better eye for talent than I

• Like 1

Have a feeling Vegas ends up taking Wedgewood, none of our roster players that are going to be exposed are very appealing and they could use an AHL/NHL swing goalie with some youth.

Just an FYI, Vegas needs to take one player from every team, so someone from our organization is going to be selected regardless of their worth.

1 hour ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

There's a larger topic discussing it, and you can check out the details there -- but I don't think we need to protect young pros and prospects (Zacha, Wood, or Santini as examples I believe are exempt). 

I would hate to see Cammy protected, but I wonder how much his NMC comes into play here. 

Where's the "larger topic"?  :huh:  The title of this thread is "2017 Expansion Draft", so I'm not sure how it gets larger or more relevant than that in terms of expansion draft discussion lol

3 hours ago, fsu1852 said:

I think Vegas would go after Zajac if he wasnt protected. I also agree I wouldnt protect Cammy.

Agree and agree. 

Zajac would be a perfect expansion team choice, veteran presence, face-offs and defense, some offense to offer, and nobody has any expectations of him. 

He could be the captain of an expansion team.

Cammy can be exposed, totally fine with that. Odds are far less than Zajac that he would be taken, but I'm also crossing my fingers twice as hard. 

On 2/13/2017 at 11:29 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

How does the expansion draft work for other teams?  I might be having a brain cramp right now, but I thought it was basically just a draft for that one new team, where they go through 23 picks or whatever and select players from any team they want as long as they're unprotected?  How/when/why do we get a chance to claim players from other teams left unprotected?

No, they must select a player from every team.  Yes, that will give them 30 players so obviously at least 7 don't make the team.  They can then trade those players away or waive.  They can also work out a trade where they receive a draft pick and the Knights agree not to take a specific player.  For example, Rangers must protect Staal and Girardi.  They will protect McDonagh as their 3rd Dman.  Let's say they do not want to lose Kline or Holden (Skjei is exempt) they can offer Minnesota a 3rd, 4th, whatever and if they accept Minnesota agrees not to take the player.  Basically, buying an extra protection.

The Devils cannot claim players.  What the original poster means (I think) is that some teams will have no choice but to leave some very good players unprotected.  As a result, they may want to trade the player by the deadline and get something for them rather than lose them for nothing.  For example, Minnesota will not be able to protect Dumba.  So, if the Devils do not have 3 dmen they must (due to a NMC) or feel they must protect, they trade something to Minnesota for Dumba. Forward, pick, whatever.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 8:27 PM, CommonDreads said:

NTC's have no bearing on the Expansion Draft, only NMC's do. That being said, any NMC signed now won't be in effect by the time the expansion draft rolls around, and also any team that fails to leave the minimum amount of players unprotected receives draft pick punishment.

Yes and no.  NMC's are not uniform.  They are all worded differently, they get reported as NMC just for simplicity. Bobby Ryan for example has a NMC that says he can't be sent to the AHL without his approval, but can be traded to any team in the league without needing approval. So, Ottawa does not have to protect him.  NHL and NHLPA reviewed every contract and came up with the list of the "Must Be protected".

10 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

No, they must select a player from every team.  Yes, that will give them 30 players so obviously at least 7 don't make the team.  They can then trade those players away or waive.  They can also work out a trade where they receive a draft pick and the Knights agree not to take a specific player.  For example, Rangers must protect Staal and Girardi.  They will protect McDonagh as their 3rd Dman.  Let's say they do not want to lose Kline or Holden (Skjei is exempt) they can offer Minnesota a 3rd, 4th, whatever and if they accept Minnesota agrees not to take the player.  Basically, buying an extra protection.

The Devils cannot claim players.  What the original poster means (I think) is that some teams will have no choice but to leave some very good players unprotected.  As a result, they may want to trade the player by the deadline and get something for them rather than lose them for nothing.  For example, Minnesota will not be able to protect Dumba.  So, if the Devils do not have 3 dmen they must (due to a NMC) or feel they must protect, they trade something to Minnesota for Dumba. Forward, pick, whatever.  

This is what I meant, however, someone on HF pointed out to me that a team like Minny or NYI will have so many good players left unprotected that they might just let Vegas take one and deal with it. That way they only lose one player. If they trade away someone they will still lose someone to Vegas. Now they're down at least two roster players. 

30 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

This is what I meant, however, someone on HF pointed out to me that a team like Minny or NYI will have so many good players left unprotected that they might just let Vegas take one and deal with it. That way they only lose one player. If they trade away someone they will still lose someone to Vegas. Now they're down at least two roster players. 

True, but it really depends.  Yes, they have to lose someone.  However, a team like Minnesota may value Dumba A LOT more than the other good players they need to protect.  Secondly, the package they get back from a team like the Devils might make it worth it to lose that 2nd player.

Other things to consider is the Knights MUST take on a certain amount of salary through the expansion draft.  Off the top of my head, I believe it is the cap floor for this year.  If they take a UFA to be, his salary does not count in this minimum.  An RFA's salary counts ONLY if they have received a qualifying offer from their current team.  Secondly, they also must take a minimum amount of forwards, a minimum amount of Dmen and a minimum amount of goalies.  Again, off the top of my head, think the 3 total to 25, then they have lee-way with the last 5 picks.

So, they might want a guy with a fairly high contract who only has 1 year left.  Helps them get to that threshold, but at the same time, only have to carry him for a year.  They will not be able to just take the cheapest guys on each team's exposed list.  May not be able to take the best player on each team's exposed list.  

What I think you will see is a lot of wheeling and dealing.  I can see them taking a minimum of 5 picks for consideration to not take a certain player from a team.  Then, once they have their 30, can see them trading another 5 between the end of the expansion draft and the end of the entry draft.  Stockpile some picks and/or pull off a few 2-for-1 deals.

what is the cutoff where players are exposed to the draft?

players like wood, Santini blandisi.. do they have to be protected?  What about wedgewood?

if we are protecting Bennett then I'm guessing the younger players are not eligible for the draft & we suck more than I thought!!

1 hour ago, redruM said:

what is the cutoff where players are exposed to the draft?

players like wood, Santini blandisi.. do they have to be protected?  What about wedgewood?

if we are protecting Bennett then I'm guessing the younger players are not eligible for the draft & we suck more than I thought!!

Any player with more than 2 years professional service in North America, so AHL years count.  Europe and Juniors do not.  However, if it was a partial season as a PTO, it doesn't count.  Brady Skjei for example is exempt.  He will finish his 2nd season this year but his stint with Hartford at the end of 2014-15 was a PTO, so it does not count.

15 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

Could this be why we are so stocked up on picks? Are there players we don't want to lose that cannot be protected? 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Could this be why we are so stocked up on picks? Are there players we don't want to lose that cannot be protected? 

I don't know what you mean.  Anyone can be protected.  Some players, such as Lundqvist, Girardi HAVE to be protected and count towards the Rangers protections due to their NMC's.  League put out a list around Thanksgiving.  Guys like Skjei, Vesey who have not completed more than 2 years of AHL/NHL service are exempt.  They cannot be selected and do not have to be protected.  Players on LTIR, do not have to be protected and are also exempt.  Someone like Chris Pronger if he is still on Arizona's books.  

I'm sure there will be at least 1 team whose list of available players Vegas looks at and doesn't want anyone.  They still have to pick someone, and in that case I am sure they will plan to send them to minors or try to trade.

Edited by Matteau#32