2017 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Devilsfan118

On 2/21/2017 at 8:33 AM, NJDfan1711 said:

We have Santini who looks like he may pan out as a 2nd or 3rd line full time NHLer.  If we were to get a decent draft pick this year that we could use on a defenseman, then we're not looking too bad.  We're just in a terrible situation right now, because if we trade Henrique for a d-man, then all of a sudden we're back to kinda where we were before we got Hall, starved for offense again.  I'm not saying Henrique = Hall, but he's one of the few guys who actually does score for us right now.  We need to try to land some guys in free agency and see if a draft pick or two pan out.  Does anyone think McLeod will be NHL ready next year?  Maybe the year after?  Would be nice if he blossomed early and we could get rid of a DSP/Bennett type player and solidify the bottom two lines a little more.

They drafted some good players. Blake Speers being one. He has the look of a 3rd liner. Ceiling is probably 2nd line. Was very effective for Canada in the WJC. Good speed and a good passer. Quenneville seems like the big prospect. Almost a point per game at the 'A.' He plays center. When they traded Larsson for Hall, they went for offense. Hall will give you that. He hasn't been totally healthy or consistent. I thought he'd be a lock for 30 goals and 70 points. I had the Devils just missing the 2nd wildcard to the Islanders. 

Agreed on Santini. He looks like he's gonna be good. They took him high and were patient. Defenseman take time. He played collegiate and they didn't rush him. Maybe they figured he could eventually replace Larsson. But the issue is more about your depth. Too many vets who aren't that good. Moore being one. Quincey, who has been decent. And Lovejoy, who they gave the contract to. He's okay. But nothing special. They need to get younger on the back end. They have one good defensive prospect in Colton White. He and Speers play on Sault Ste. Marie. He's 19. 

Wood has great speed like his father. But is streaky. If he ever learns to be consistent, you could have a solid secondary scorer. He could become a fixture on the penalty kill.

Even with the extension, I wouldn't make a deal with St. Louis that involves Severson.  Shattenkirk is the better defenseman, but it doesn't really advance the ball to give up one defenseman for another, unless we're talking about someone as good and young as Karlsson, which obviously isn't happening.   At most, I would trade a third for his negotiating rights, which maybe, maybe becomes a second if he signs an extension before the start of free agency, but that's pressing it.  

If Shero really wants him, he can outbid virtually any other team that's a credible landing spot (meaning, I don't think he wants to play for Arizona or Carolina).  A defense of Greene, Severson, Shattenkirk, Santini would look pretty good. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jerzey said:

The Hockey Writers speculates that we could make an offer for Shattenkirk with Severson, Quenneville, and a 2nd going the other way.

http://thehockeywriters.com/

ANALYSIS: The Devils probably won’t make the playoffs even with the addition of Shattenkirk, so a contract extension is essential as part of this deal — more so than the other four, though a sign-and-trade is in St. Louis’ best interests to ensure the best possible return regardless of where Shattenkirk is going. New Jersey GM Ray Shero isn’t one to sit on his hands and he’d love to get his hands on a puck-mover like Shattenkirk to help spark the Devils’ offence. Adding Taylor Hall and Shattenkirk within a calendar year would be a step in the right direction for New Jersey, even if those moves don’t pay immediate dividends in the form of a playoff berth this spring.

Nope, wouldnt do that deal. 

5 hours ago, Jerzey said:

The Hockey Writers speculates that we could make an offer for Shattenkirk with Severson, Quenneville, and a 2nd going the other way.

http://thehockeywriters.com/

ANALYSIS: The Devils probably won’t make the playoffs even with the addition of Shattenkirk, so a contract extension is essential as part of this deal — more so than the other four, though a sign-and-trade is in St. Louis’ best interests to ensure the best possible return regardless of where Shattenkirk is going. New Jersey GM Ray Shero isn’t one to sit on his hands and he’d love to get his hands on a puck-mover like Shattenkirk to help spark the Devils’ offence. Adding Taylor Hall and Shattenkirk within a calendar year would be a step in the right direction for New Jersey, even if those moves don’t pay immediate dividends in the form of a playoff berth this spring.

Would love to have him on the team but we're giving up too much. I rather take my chances on getting him in FA

He just turned down a 7 year, $42M extension as well

Edited by fsu1852

1 hour ago, fsu1852 said:

Would love to have him on the team but we're giving up too much. I rather take my chances on getting him in FA

He just turned down a 7 year, $42M extension as well

Agreed. I'm not sure I'd really want to do one of those guys plus the pick. Not at this point. He won't make a difference for the team if we have him plus the rest of that motley crew of defenseman with no Severson. 

8 hours ago, Chuck the Duck said:

That article also calls for us to give up the 3rd round pick we received from Colorado for Gelinas in this years draft.  That said, I would not do this deal.  Not that I wouldn't like to have Shattenkirk, but the Devils are not in a position to trade away the few assets we have for a player in his prime right now.  It just doesn't make sense to me given the state of the prospect pool we have and where we are at in our rebuild.  Ray needs to stay the course and  build this tea through the draft and strategic trades.  There should be plenty of opportunity for him to make things happen on the trade front this June with the expansion draft and the salary cap looking like it will remain stagnant. 

I don't see us being good trading partners with STL for Shattenkirk, other than being 1 of the 3 teams that play in his hometown area who he'd allegedly like to sign with for his long term deal. 

Yeah, that is too much to give up. I would love to add Shattenkirk as a free agent. I have heard his first choice is the Rangers but the Rangers are very tight with the salary cap. Unless they work they're usual Houdini act to create cap space they will have a hard time fitting him in, with the uncertainty with the Islanders and the fact that we have a ton of cap space I would love to see us sign Shattenkirk, even at a farily stiff price and would think we have atleast a punchers chance.

45 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think we can write off any hope of Shattenkirk.  I guess that the rumors that it's NYR or bust might be true.  I can't believe he would pass up Tampa and a 6 year 42 million contract, especially when you factor in the tax implications.  

http://www.thescore.com/news/1238840

Personally I think/hope he just wants to be close to home. I think any of the Rangers, Bruins, NJ, or NYI even have a chance.

1 hour ago, Lateralous said:

I think we can write off any hope of Shattenkirk.  I guess that the rumors that it's NYR or bust might be true.  I can't believe he would pass up Tampa and a 6 year 42 million contract, especially when you factor in the tax implications.  

http://www.thescore.com/news/1238840

Yea but then he'd have to live in Tampa.

If Shero moved this year's 1st for Shattenkirk, I'd like for him to put in a condition for the pick to be Lottery protected. If the pick is in the top 3, then it turns into a 2018 1st Rounder.

Wouldn't want to get goated into giving up the Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier pick.

Edited by CommonDreads

I feel like 6m a year for Shattenkirk is a couple million lower then what he would get at UFA. I think when it's all said and done he's getting paid 7.5-8m a year. I think that's more of a reason he turned down Tampa then anything. Also he's said he wants to be closer to home. I don't think it's necessarily Rangers or bust, I think he realizes he can get more on the open market and have his choosing of which team to go to. 

37 minutes ago, njd3b1ink said:

I feel like 6m a year for Shattenkirk is a couple million lower then what he would get at UFA. I think when it's all said and done he's getting paid 7.5-8m a year. I think that's more of a reason he turned down Tampa then anything. Also he's said he wants to be closer to home. I don't think it's necessarily Rangers or bust, I think he realizes he can get more on the open market and have his choosing of which team to go to. 

I would think sign and trades are a really tough sell to players in general, especially a guy like Shattenkirk. He is on the verge of free agency, of being able to choose where he wants to play and his agent can play multiple teams offers against each other to drive up the price, why agree to a trade that is anything short of your ideal destination and ideal $, wishful thinking on the part of St. Louis.

2 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

I would think sign and trades are a really tough sell to players in general, especially a guy like Shattenkirk. He is on the verge of free agency, of being able to choose where he wants to play and his agent can play multiple teams offers against each other to drive up the price, why agree to a trade that is anything short of your ideal destination and ideal $, wishful thinking on the part of St. Louis.

Bingo.  At most he is going someplace as a rental.  No need for the Devils to give up assets to land him short-term if he is dead-set on testing FA.

St. Louis made a valiant try, but yeah Shattenkirk wasn't having any of it.

after he turned down that Tampa deal I think any team that is going to try to acquire him through trade is going to have to give up way too much. What does he care if he just walks away from the blues without them getting anything, it doesn't effect him at all. He is going to go to free agency and see how much money he can get offered and then weigh out the cash and the location that he has in mind. He and I believe Oshie are the two big name free agents this year..we should be looking to spend on both of them and pushing strong offers.

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

after he turned down that Tampa deal I think any team that is going to try to acquire him through trade is going to have to give up way too much. What does he care if he just walks away from the blues without them getting anything, it doesn't effect him at all. He is going to go to free agency and see how much money he can get offered and then weigh out the cash and the location that he has in mind. He and I believe Oshie are the two big name free agents this year..we should be looking to spend on both of them and pushing strong offers.

I think I would literally cry from happiness if we got Oshie... [wife is a huge fan of his, and we named our dog after him, too]

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Oshie is not really a fit, and seems poised to see a decline in his production wherever he ends up when he doesn't have the teammates that he has in Washington.  No thanks for how much you'd have to overpay.   Would much rather overpay for Shattenkirk.  If we miss out, so be it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Oshie is not really a fit, and seems poised to see a decline in his production wherever he ends up when he doesn't have the teammates that he has in Washington.  No thanks for how much you'd have to overpay.   Would much rather overpay for Shattenkirk.  If we miss out, so be it.

how can you claim he wouldn't be a fit and suspect him of going on a decline? I'm not saying to sign him to a 7 year deal. He is 30 years old I believe and making somewhere around 4.5 or so..it is less than 5M.. with our current roster basically lacking any type of real talent outside of the obvious, you are telling me you wouldn't want to sign him? oh boy. he was good in St. Louis and hes ripping it up in Washington.. na I wouldn't want him on our team either you are right. 

13 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

how can you claim he wouldn't be a fit and suspect him of going on a decline? I'm not saying to sign him to a 7 year deal. He is 30 years old I believe and making somewhere around 4.5 or so..it is less than 5M.. with our current roster basically lacking any type of real talent outside of the obvious, you are telling me you wouldn't want to sign him? oh boy. he was good in St. Louis and hes ripping it up in Washington.. na I wouldn't want him on our team either you are right. 

100% agree, He'd immediately becomes one of the top players on our team, and could almost do literally no worse than about 7 or 8 forwards on our current roster.

Last I checked, the Russian double agent didnt exactly fit our system when we got him and that, however briefly, turned out pretty damn well for us.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Bingo.  At most he is going someplace as a rental.  No need for the Devils to give up assets to land him short-term if he is dead-set on testing FA.

St. Louis made a valiant try, but yeah Shattenkirk wasn't having any of it.

Given the location and cap space I think we got a shot at him in July, as long as ownership is on board. I would be happy if we overpaid and got him, our millions and millions of unused cap space have won us exactly zero games.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jagknife said:

100% agree, He'd immediately becomes one of the top players on our team, and could almost do literally no worse than about 7 or 8 forwards on our current roster.

Last I checked, the Russian double agent didnt exactly fit our system when we got him and that, however briefly, turned out pretty damn well for us.

this is what cam saying. if people don't want him on this team with what we currently are working with then.. I don't even know what to say. those must be the people that are all about tanking year after year. We need talent period, in the front and the back, its going to be a weaker draft supposedly and the FA market isn't supposed to be a big one this season either. How else would we go about trying to get skill, theres not much you can trade when most of your roster is made up of a lot of spare parts at the moment. we aren't going to trade key guys zajac, palms,  rico etc and other guys such as camm aren't worth a nickel at this point.