2017 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Devilsfan118

Trade deadline really needs to be moved back to mid March again. It's boring now and there is much less activity with this amount of season left. You get more bubble teams who are not sure if they're in or out and they end up standing pat.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This feels like one of those "Would you rather" questions that my daughter throws at me from time to time.  I think this one feels a little worse just because this deadline was so meh (not that I was really expecting any crazy miracles), and Schneider's November/December and Cam's mostly brutal year have just been really hard to take.  And three more words:  Ben fvckING Killjoy

I think it felt meh because it always does when you're a seller rather than a buyer.  If you're looking to add a decent piece to get you in or put you over the top in the playoffs, then it's always interesting to see and there's some anticipation there.  Sure we are all looking forward to seeing if we flip these picks that we acquired today, or if we use them how the players eventually turn out, but you're talking about something that's way more in the future, and leaves you not so much hanging on the edge of your seat the way you would be if we acquired someone and were making a playoff run.  

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Would it mean we get like 3 of the next 5 #1 picks? I might sign up for that. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle. 

I'd take that too, but I only hope that our management doesn't completely sh!t the bed like Edmonton did for so long.

Just now, DevsMan84 said:

To be fair, this year didn't go as low as to have the remains of Scott Gomez and Steve fvcking Bernier on your top line along with Tootoo on your PP.

It's a tough one.  You can make a case either way. 

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

I think it felt meh because it always does when you're a seller rather than a buyer.  If you're looking to add a decent piece to get you in or put you over the top in the playoffs, then it's always interesting to see and there's some anticipation there.  Sure we are all looking forward to seeing if we flip these picks that we acquired today, or if we use them how the players eventually turn out, but you're talking about something that's way more in the future, and leaves you not so much hanging on the edge of your seat the way you would be if we acquired someone and were making a playoff run.  

Shero actually snagged a 3rd-rounder for Gelinas and a 2nd-rounder for Stempniak last season...in a way that was both exciting and pleasantly surprising.

If Cam had managed anything close to his prior two seasons, and the Devils were willing to take on some of his remaining dollars, maybe they could've moved him too.

Just sucks that nothing worked out from that standpoint:  Cam having a lousy year, and Pap getting hurt at the worst possible time. 

1 minute ago, Weekes Head said:

So I guess this was the Non-Trade Deadline more than anything in terms of big time players staying put. Not surprising. Wonder if this will become the norm. I miss the days of the Rangers wildly overpaying for a rental that yields very little success. Alas...

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I gotta say... This has to be the most insanely boring deadline day league-wide that I've seen in a while- and that's saying something, because last year was incredibly boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most of us feel this way, and I think I may have pinpointed it, at least to a degree.  I think we all have seen a lot of contracts over the past 5-10 years grow not only in dollar amount, but also in length.  No longer are guys signing simple 2, 3 or 4 year deals.  No we're seeing 5-6 year deals become the norm, and for star players that teams want to lock up, it's more like 8-10+.  It's pretty nuts.  But what that means is the big names, hell, really even not that big of names, basically anyone of consequence, is typically signed for a couple years, so it really makes the deadline a lot less active and opportunistic.  I really miss it too, and I think it made the game and management practices a lot more like a fun chess match with some strategy.  Now it's more of a wait and see thing and guys playing out their crazy long contracts.

Could just be me drawing conclusions though.

Anyone else agree or think of another reason? 

• Like 1

10 picks coming in the 2017 draft:

2017:  (1) 1st, (2) 2nds (one from Boston), (2) 3rds (one from Colorado, one from SJ), (2) 4ths (one from Nashville), (1) 5th, (2) 6th (one from Nashville)

2018:  (1) 1st, (2) 2nds (one from Florida), (2) 3rds (one from Toronto), (1) 4th, (1) 5th, (1) 6th, (1) 7th

Get the feeling Shero will trade a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th (or something close to that) in the offseason for a guy who should be able to help the Devils right away in 2017-18.  Palmeiri Part 2

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

10 picks coming in the 2017 draft:

2017:  (1) 1st, (2) 2nds (one from Boston), (2) 3rds (one from Colorado, one from SJ), (2) 4ths (one from Nashville), (1) 5th, (2) 6th (one from Nashville)

2018:  (1) 1st, (2) 2nds (one from Florida), (2) 3rds (one from Toronto), (1) 4th, (1) 5th, (1) 6th, (1) 7th

Get the feeling Shero will trade a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th (or something close to that) in the offseason for a guy who should be able to help the Devils right away in 2017-18.  Palmeiri Part 2

This gives me hope. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Streit to Pittsburgh, after being moved to Tampa: https://mobile.twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/837034692276797440

That's kind of funny.

I also think its funny that people on this board are upset by the return we got for Quincey. People have been calling for his head all season and talking about how much of a liability he is. Is it really that ponderous that nobody wanted to give up a 3rd round pick for a guy who can't play any defense?

And, I would add, I hated his stupid beard and I am glad I don't have to look at it anymore. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Weekes Head said:

This gives me hope. 

It might be for a guy like Palms who simply wasn't ever going to get more minutes with his previous team and needed to get a chance and might be heading toward RFA, or a solid player on a less-than-ideal contract, who still has good years left in him and is at least under control.  I'll take either.  Devils are in good enough shape cap-wise that one questionable contract shouldn't sting too much. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's kind of funny.

I also think its funny that people on this board are upset by the return we got for Quincey. People have been calling for his head all season and talking about how much of a liability he is. Is it really that ponderous that nobody wanted to give up a 3rd round pick for a guy who can't play any defense?

And, I would add, I hated his stupid beard and I am glad I don't have to look at it anymore. 

Shhh, some people here are not fans of sound logic. If we have it, and they want it, they'll have to pay for it. Even if it's sh!t. 

Except Lovejoy. We'll pay someone to take that guy. 

Also, lol @ the beard comment.