2017 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Devilsfan118

I hope that Shero and company at least considered making an offer for Lazar.  Know he's been a disappointment, but it's probably too early to call him a bust.  I mean he's a better bet than anyone we're going to take in the second round.

Just now, Daniel said:

I hope that Shero and company at least considered making an offer for Lazar.  Know he's been a disappointment, but it's probably too early to call him a bust.  I mean he's a better bet than anyone we're going to take in the second round.

I've honestly never been a Lazar fan, even in his draft year I only saw him as a future 3rd liner. Glad we steered clear.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Gotta feel like Lazar was massively overpaid for. I think we've already dealt with enough of his types on this roster in the past five years.

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

10 picks coming in the 2017 draft:

2017:  (1) 1st, (2) 2nds (one from Boston), (2) 3rds (one from Colorado, one from SJ), (2) 4ths (one from Nashville), (1) 5th, (2) 6th (one from Nashville)

2018:  (1) 1st, (2) 2nds (one from Florida), (2) 3rds (one from Toronto), (1) 4th, (1) 5th, (1) 6th, (1) 7th

Get the feeling Shero will trade a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th (or something close to that) in the offseason for a guy who should be able to help the Devils right away in 2017-18.  Palmeiri Part 2

this is what I want to happen. I just think drafting 10 picks is too many (with 9 the following year) and we have so many holes. I knew it wasn't likely but my hope for today was cashing in a couple of decent picks for a good player under contract. Prout wasn't the roster guy I had in mind. Shero has plenty of draft capital so hopefully he can get a good player at the draft when draft picks are highly valued.

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie

7 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

this is what I want to happen. I just think drafting 10 picks is too many (with 9 the following year) and we have so many holes. I knew it wasn't likely but my hope for today was cashing in a couple of decent picks for a good player under contract. Prout wasn't the roster guy I had in mind. Shero has plenty of draft capital so hopefully he can get a good player at the draft when draft picks are highly valued.

Agreed, but isn't the draft supposed to be a relatively weak one?  It's all about the timing if that is indeed the case those picks won't go as far as we would like,

Somebody who spends more time assessing the draft could probably comment in a more meaningful way. 

2 hours ago, Derek21 said:

LMAO they took Filppula's contract and got a 4th and conditional 7th. Yzerman is a genius. Best current GM. Freed up all tons of space for his big RFA's Johnson, Drouin, Palat. He unloaded Bishop and got a D prospect. And got a 2nd round pick for Boyle. I'm amazed how good he is at making deals.

Usually I am skeptical of making former star players GMs and suspect they haven't earned the job from an off ice business perspective. I've seen a lot of teams really struggle, like in Colorado handing the GM job to Sakic, or the Oilers with Lowe, Gretzky sucked as an executive. I was actually used to be concerned that the Devils would hand the GM and coaching jobs to guys from the glory years when Lou was going to leave. But so far Yzerman has been an exception (like Elway has been for the Broncos).

They are having a down year but I agree Yzerman has done an impressive job as GM so far.  

Edited by Antiquated Colorado Rockie

2 hours ago, Derek21 said:

Some idiots will say anything. You're one of the most popular and respected people on here RD. I <3 you.

Bingo.

Regarding trades: stockpiling picks. Ain't the worst approach for this organization... I just hope Shero isn't approaching this like some approach fantasy sports: trying to swap multiple assets for a single better asset. "Hey, I really want to get one good player, and so I'm going to trade you two mediocre players instead... see, we both win! You get depth, I get the better overall player!" Only works with really desperate GMs who can't see the writing on the wall.

And dammit, I want to see this team be consistently competitive next season. If they could resemble the team that kicked off this season, I would be thrilled: "fast, attacking, supportive" regardless of the score, and a team that responded well to adversity, giving constant hustle.

I'll slip back into the shadows now, a-thank ya.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Lazar would have been an interesting acquisition. I know he has had a bad year (had mono) and hasn't done a lot so far but he is young and I feel he will develop into a good player.

That said, I don't think he is the right fit for us. If we are giving up a relatively high pick or picks I would like to do it at the draft and spend it on a more proven commodity that is further along and can fill a hole in the lineup and we have a ton of cap to take on a more proven player.

55 minutes ago, smelly said:

he really seems to overrate Prout.

The Rangers overpaid for Smith, he got that much right.

Lazar would've been such a terrible acquisition.  It's not that the guy can't be a good player, it's just, why are we doing this?  He's scored at a 4th line rate the last two years.   Plus he has to be protected in expansion.  The Devils can certainly get people with higher upside for a 2nd round pick.

FWIW, the beat writer for CBJ, Aaron Portzline spoke pretty highly of Prout in his farewell tweets. Says he can absolutely be a #5 or #6 defenseman when he has the confidence. One could say that a beat writer doesn't know anything, or perhaps is biased towards the players they cover, but I feel like most Devils beat writers have been fair in their coverage of guys on the roster. Whatever the case, he's probably only a stopgap / expansion fodder and if he turns into something better than so be it.

10 hours ago, insanity_gallops said:

And dammit, I want to see this team be consistently competitive next season. If they could resemble the team that kicked off this season, I would be thrilled: "fast, attacking, supportive" regardless of the score, and a team that responded well to adversity, giving constant hustle.

Perfectly expressed. We know we are rebuilding etc and we know you can't win them all but for crying out loud show some life. This team is tough to watch. So reserved, saying the right things in interviews. Get pissed off once in a while. Goes for coaches too. Muster up some energy. Win or loose show the passion! That's the minimum us fans expect. 

Peace

• Like 1

On 3/2/2017 at 9:59 AM, '7' said:

Also, hold leads late in games and stop giving up goals at the end of the first and second period with under a minute left. Would be nice to see them do that for once.

New policy, last minute of every period, put 4 defenseman on the ice with the 2 biggest clearing the crease and slot. Let's really see some new system innovation.

1 hour ago, HOLLYWOOD said:

New policy, last minute of every period, put 4 defenseman on the ice with the 2 biggest clearing the crease and slot. Let's really see some new system innovation.

Pull a forward and put in a second goalie. Goalie #2 rolls himself in a ball and lays inside the net, along the inside edge of the blue line, behind goalie #1.