GDT - Devils vs Senators 2/16/17

NJDfan1711

Same old Devils...every time that they look like they just might have a chance to make things a little interesting, they have a game like this.  Just not much of a surprise anymore when this happens.  Oh well.  

• Like 2

RECAP

• Ottawa played a great road game, and I give them all the credit in the world.
  • Boucher actually knows the proper way to protect a 3rd period lead unlike Hynes.
  • But it almost looked like the Devils weren't ever trying to score.
  • Ottawa played a great defensive road game, but did the Devils even try to make it hard on them?
  • They also need to take more shots.
  • Stop trying to make plays out of nothing.
  • The Sens scored 2 goals off shots a mile away from the net.
  • Shot attempts win games, not scoring chances.
  • I also must emphasize that shooting for the sake of shooting is also very bad.

EVEN STRENGTH POSSESSION

• CF: 38 to 55, 40.86%
  • FF: 30 to 39, 43.48%
  • SF: 20 to 30, 40%

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

you've certainly earned your badge of honor.  Bigger man than me I would have no desire to see most of these games in person.

Honestly besides a few games here and there I've still enjoyed this season way more than the last 2. Not seeing Gionta and Tootoo every night alone makes it better for myself. 

• Like 2

Ottawa is extremely boring. They play the 1-3-1 and make teams come through the neutral zone. Boucher is a good coach. Hard to believe it took him time to get another NHL job. The Sens have skill players who could be putting up higher point totals. But they're committed to his system. It's dull. But works. I would have asked for a refund.

4 hours ago, Martyisth3b3st said:

I'm sorry, and I appreciate the stats and stuff and it's obviously a big effort to do it every game but these analysis' are so annoying. Every single 'point' you make you contradict, or qualify, or retract.... its bizarre. And when the Devils lose 3-0, it's just infuriating to read

Not true.  You just don't understand what's actually being said.

BTW, you'd think Hynes would understand that Schneider is one of the worst goalies at stopping long distance shots.  He's given up the 2nd most low danger goals in the league this year, and this isn't anything just recent either.  Since 2013-2014, here is his breakdowns among goalies who have played at least 100 games.

• LOW DANGER SHOTS SV%: .972, 7th worst
  • MID DANGER SHOTS SV%: .930, 4th best
  • HIGH DANGER SHOTS SV%: .837, 2nd best

What does all of this mean?  Well it means you'd think Hynes would know to put more pressure on the point men of the opposition.  Do everything you can to prevent the point guys from attempting shots.  It's why shot quality is completely useless overall, and there really is no such thing as a "low danger shot".

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Honestly besides a few games here and there I've still enjoyed this season way more than the last 2. Not seeing Gionta and Tootoo every night alone makes it better for myself. 

I agree with you, other than the fact that November & December were some of the worst hockey we've been subjected to, and the fact that I have seen them lose 13 of the past 17 games I've gone to... (of course I missed the Buffalo and Colorado games) I am still enjoying this season more than previous ones. I still believe in the overall direction, it's not going to happen overnight so... 

Just wish they could get a win for the home crowd once in a while. Maybe they can go back to being awful on the road and win some games at the Rock.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

We didn't show up tonight, plain and simple.

That's about the only way I was able to sum it up too.   It looked like they wanted to score, just maybe not enough.  Not hungry enough, and of course, not skilled enough.  Sad part about this is that Cory played really well.   I guess we just need to focus on trying to take two from the Islanders this weekend, since they won last night and are pulling away.  Revenge next week against Ottawa would be sweet.

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This game put me to sleep. Literally. Fell asleep at 1-0 in the 3rd and didn't wake up until about an hour ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to adult around the house during the 2nd and was not even remotely shocked that it was 0-0 throughout the 2nd. I'm sure I missed a bunch of Mac and Dano gems about moral victories or how they would motivate the team while the carpet shampooer was blasting...

Edited by jagknife

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

This game put me to sleep. Literally. Fell asleep at 1-0 in the 3rd and didn't wake up until about an hour ago.

I didnt sleep but I moved around the house doing stuff and only popped my head back in a few times... hate to beat a dead horse but this win one lose one win one lose two, thing that we've been doing for the last 5 years is getting us nowhere... need to just lose a few years...  and grab a few top 3 picks.. dont want to hear about the oilers, we're not Edmonton 

56 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

I didnt sleep but I moved around the house doing stuff and only popped my head back in a few times... hate to beat a dead horse but this win one lose one win one lose two, thing that we've been doing for the last 5 years is getting us nowhere... need to just lose a few years...  and grab a few top 3 picks.. dont want to hear about the oilers, we're not Edmonton 

You're gonna hear about it, because it's a reality.  I'll never understand that mentality, or at least definitely never agree with it.  Take a look around:  WE ALREADY ARE LOSING.  Ok, maybe it could get worse, but we're really not that far from the dregs of the league, i.e. Colorado, Arizona, and what used to be Edmonton.  We have a few scattered wins here and there, but it really isn't that many.  

At this point I actually really hope the Devils just stop trying, rest some players, and fall into the bottom three for the next 2-3 years.  Maybe then and only then you guys who are preaching for this will look back after those picks don't pan out and other very circumstantial things take place and say to yourself and everyone else, 'Damn, these last few years have sucked, worse than what it was before, and we're not in any better shape now'.