GDT 2/19 Devils at Islanders - 6pm MSG

Satans Hockey

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Hynes is either mentally ill or he legit tried to lose this game.

The tankers definitely got their wish...we care more about the Albany playoff run than the Devils.

And yeah I know making the playoffs only meant we'd get killed by the Caps anyway, but how about at least striving for a couple months of big games for the young players to play in!  Yeah yeah I know...dat draft position.  Big deal in a draft without a franchise player where you basically have to win a top two lottery spot to get a sure difference-maker.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 4

A few post-game thoughts:

1) As lousy as Kinkaid was (despite one spectacular save and a few other very good ones), the defense in front of him didn't help. Way, WAY too many bad turnovers.

2) Berube for the Islanders was almost as bad as Kinkaid. You can't get as much soft serve at a yogurt shop as you could at Barclays Center tonight.

3) The Islanders need to ditch those butt-ugly and boring alternate uniforms as soon as possible.

4) The Barclays Center is massively disappointing as an arena in many ways, and I'm not even talking about the fact it was not designed for hockey. (Actually, the seats behind the goal where the Isles shoot twice are very good IMO, even if the rest of the seats in the arena presumably leave something to be desired.) The narrow concourses, the lack of concession stands, the lack of restrooms (and strange layout of those restrooms) - who the hell designed this place so poorly? Ironically, the place has a 1970s logistical design (good place to watch a basketball game presumably and in the aforementioned behind the goal sections at the east end but insufficient interior infrastructure) with 2000s bells and whistles. The Islanders would be better off back an enhanced Nassau Coliseum (which was a great place to watch a game if you didn't care about the bells and whistles and could beat everyone to the restrooms at intermissions).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Well that sucked. I feel bad for those of you who went to go watch a game in that horrendous arena. It seemed like for a moment they might have had a shot at tying the game up. 

I agree with the others about at least putting Cory in for the 3rd period. We might have actually got out of there with a point or two.

I didn't see this game, but I didn't have to.  Just the fact that Kinkaid would get this start over a hot Schneider tells me all I need to know:  the Devils were never serious about trying to nab a playoff berth, and this notion was reinforced when Hynes refused to go with Schneider to start the third period.  It was still very much a game on the scoreboard heading into the third, and Hynes chose not to go with his best.  It's fine if I as a fan never thought the 2016-17 were playoff-bound, but for the head coach to treat this game as though this team is already done by not pulling out all the stops to try to win...I don't know what to say.  

And as long as I imagine Raymond Babbitt narrating MB's bullet-point post-game "thoughts", I can kind of have fun with them.

Time to put Cam back in, not because I'm remotely convinced that Mr. Destined-to-Disappoint will actually help on the ice, but because maybe there's the slightest chance that this dead weight will actually get hot enough to get someone to take him off the Devils' hands (though the Devils will clearly have to both pick up a chunk of his contract and expect little in return).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

I saw parts of this game, and just watched the highlights of all of the goals.  That wraparound that Kink let in, definitely awful.  Then again, that glove save on Bailey was awesome.  I also don't think the late goal by Chimera was his fault, that was a snipe.  The earlier one too that just kind of floated over his shoulders and right under the crossbar, pretty hard to stop a fluke like that.

A lot of bad bounces today, but definitely not solid in a lot of areas.  Defense was pretty poor.  One of the goals was a poor turnover by Josefson in our own zone.  He just chopped at the puck and it went into free space which was picked up by I believe Strome and he potted it for his second of the game.  Hard for Kink to stop that when the guy gets it and shoots it from the lower part of the faceoff circle.  

I don't disagree with Kinkaid getting the start.  It was just time.  No matter how good Cory was running lately, he played a ton, and you gotta give him a rest.  On one of our first back to back nights in a while, this was the logical choice.  Not to mention with how we played the night before actually getting a win, you have to figure Hynes was thinking even if we didn't win this one we split with them so it's not the end of the world (despite what some of you are making it out to be), and hell, it wasn't even a guarantee that we'd lose, not with them putting Berube in net as well.  It was a toss up game, they just happened to win and play a little better.  

There were a few bright spots, and one was definitely Palmieri.  Crazy snipe by him, and it just shows how talented he can be in open space and when he gets playing time.  I'd put him out there more often.  Hall also looked very good, his last goal was a display of his true talent, just fitting that puck into an area where there wasn't much room at all.

It definitely would've been nice to win yesterday and edge closer to that final spot, but we split with the Islanders, a team who is 9-0-2 now at home after Weight took over as coach, and we lose 6-4 with our backup goalie in.  We didn't lose any ground really, and we're still only 5 points out, if you figure/hope that Toronto and Florida lose the games in hand they have on us (1 and 2 respectively).  It's still a longshot, sure, but this past weekend didn't make or break anything.  If anything, I think it's a positive, because honestly, I expected to lose both.  The Isles have been on a tear lately, and they're also fighting for a playoff spot, so they have something to play for as well, so taking 1 of 2 could be something to hang your hat on, rather than something to get all doom and gloom over.  

Let's get a nice win against Ottawa tomorrow as some revenge from last week, and things will start to look better again.  

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I didn't see this game, but I didn't have to.  Just the fact that Kinkaid would get this start over a hot Schneider tells me all I need to know:  the Devils were never serious about trying to nab a playoff berth, and this notion was reinforced when Hynes refused to go with Schneider to start the third period.  It was still very much a game on the scoreboard heading into the third, and Hynes chose not to go with his best.  It's fine if I as a fan never thought the 2016-17 were playoff-bound, but for the head coach to treat this game as though this team is already done by not pulling out all the stops to try to win...I don't know what to say.  

And as long as I imagine Raymond Babbitt narrating MB's bullet-point post-game "thoughts", I can kind of have fun with them.

Time to put Cam back in, not because I'm remotely convinced that Mr. Destined-to-Disappoint will actually help on the ice, but because maybe there's the slightest chance that this dead weight will actually get hot enough to get someone to take him off the Devils' hands (though the Devils will clearly have to both pick up a chunk of his contract and expect little in return).

Re: the bolded part, this is mind blowing and totally works. 

2 hours ago, SMantzas said:

Well that should be about that. NJ should definitely be in sell mode now

They don't have much to sell that's worth anything, plus I imagine it gets complicated by the number of players you have to have on the roster for the expansion draft.  Then there's that whole weird thing with offering up Parenteau to certain teams before he can be traded. 

That said, if Shero can somehow do the Jedi mind trick and trade Lovejoy for a second rounder.... sounds kind of crazy, but getting a third round pick for Gelinas looks even crazier. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They don't have much to sell that's worth anything, plus I imagine it gets complicated by the number of players you have to have on the roster for the expansion draft.  Then there's that whole weird thing with offering up Parenteau to certain teams before he can be traded. 

That said, if Shero can somehow do the Jedi mind trick and trade Lovejoy for a second rounder.... sounds kind of crazy, but getting a third round pick for Gelinas looks even crazier. 

apparently - nobody claimed PAP besides the Devils so they are free to trade him anywhere. this per Devilsinsiders twitter who is pretty good.

31 minutes ago, Triumph said:

There's no way I would start my starter in a back to back after he had just made 40 saves the night before.  If he had a 17 shot armchair shutout, sure.  But a game where he was busy all night?  No.

I may not have started him, but I damn sure would have played him in the third. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The tankers definitely got their wish...we care more about the Albany playoff run than the Devils.

And yeah I know making the playoffs only meant we'd get killed by the Caps anyway, but how about at least striving for a couple months of big games for the young players to play in!  Yeah yeah I know...dat draft position.  Big deal in a draft without a franchise player where you basically have to win a top two lottery spot to get a sure difference-maker.

I couldn't believe they didn't start Schneider. That was a must win scenario. They had to sweep. Off a 40 save performance, you gotta go with your best. I also agree with what you said on the lineup in your post. Maybe the Devils want to tank. They obviously didn't care enough to put the best roster out in a game they had to have. 

37 minutes ago, Triumph said:

There's no way I would start my starter in a back to back after he had just made 40 saves the night before.  If he had a 17 shot armchair shutout, sure.  But a game where he was busy all night?  No.

You're wrong. At some point, you gotta go with your horse. Hasan has complained plenty of times about how they don't give Schneider enough leniency in back-to-backs. It was the same opponent he shut down. He was responsible for the first win. In a home and home where they needed four points, you don't go with your backup unless he's Raanta or Darling. If it's a quality backup you know you can count on, then sure. But the Devils needed the game. That was their best chance. I guess the tankers got their wish.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Derek21 said:

You're wrong. At some point, you gotta go with your horse. Hasan has complained plenty of times about how they don't give Schneider enough leniency in back-to-backs. It was the same opponent he shut down. He was responsible for the first win. In a home and home where they needed four points, you don't go with your backup unless he's Raanta or Darling. If it's a quality backup you know you can count on, then sure. But the Devils needed the game. That was their best chance. I guess the tankers got their wish.

I'm with him on this one.  Three pretty good and pretty easy reasons:

1 - 40 saves is a huge workload

2- On a back to back night

3- The backup hasn't played in a long time

4 - The other team was playing their backup goalie, a guy named Berube

Ok, so four good reasons.  I threw that last one in there for good measure because it just further emphasizes there were a lot of reasons to do it.  

Look, I'm not a Hynes nose sucker or anything, because he hasn't really proven anything yet in two seasons here, but I'm not gonna crucify him for starting Kinkaid on a back to back trip where your starter was bombarded the night before.  To do so is pretty damn unfair, but by all means go right ahead.

• Like 1

There is no travel. It was the only back to back on the schedule. Schneider made four straight starts and had been playing better. Your argument is about activity. It was their fifth game in eight days. Even if you start Kinkaid, at some point they have to pull him. Whether it be at 3-1 down or when they cut it to 4-3. The game was too important. They didn't give themselves a chance.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Derek21 said:

Okay, good, I'm sure you've read a ton about how goalies do on back to backs, but keep telling me I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Re: the bolded part, this is mind blowing and totally works. 

Lol it does.

half of his post seems to contradict the other half in the same post or statements he made in previous game posts.  When it's pointed out it's that "we don't get what he means."

The Ray Babbitt comparison helps me prevent having an aneurysm reading those posts.

21 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Lol it does.

half of his post seems to contradict the other half in the same post or statements he made in previous game posts.  When it's pointed out it's that "we don't get what he means."

The Ray Babbitt comparison helps me prevent having an aneurysm reading those posts.

Definitely. Definitely avoiding an aneurysm. 

1FA31CAE-BDF5-4B9A-9AB2-D7376C4D59A6_zps

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Ok, Ok, I understand Cory playing back to back and Hynes started Kinks , But it was obvious that Kinks was struggling, We needed a point at least, I think Hynes should have went to the bullpen, Cory might have stole us atleast a point. Also  Hynes needs to make a move on Defense, fvcking Moore looked completely lost, Like to see what  Vojtech Mozik got, playing at hefty +13

13 minutes ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Ok, Ok, I understand Cory playing back to back and Hynes started Kinks , But it was obvious that Kinks was struggling, We needed a point at least, I think Hynes should have went to the bullpen, Cory might have stole us atleast a point. Also  Hynes needs to make a move on Defense, fvcking Moore looked completely lost, Like to see what  Vojtech Mozik got, playing at hefty +13

It's easy to say that Cory should've come in after they scored twice in 2 minutes at the beginning of the third.

But, I said it before they came out for the third. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek21 said:

There is no travel. It was the only back to back on the schedule. Schneider made four straight starts and had been playing better. Your argument is about activity. It was their fifth game in eight days. Even if you start Kinkaid, at some point they have to pull him. Whether it be at 3-1 down or when they cut it to 4-3. The game was too important. They didn't give themselves a chance.

You said it yourself.  5th game in 8 days.  That's not excessive?  Especially when you consider he was coming off 40 shots in the most recent one, a mere 24 hours earlier?  I said nothing about whether or not I'd pull him at some point during the game.  I probably would have considered it and more than likely pulled the trigger at the end of the 2nd and let Cory start the 3rd and try to squeeze out a win.  Teams have backup goalies for a reason, and yesterday was one of those reasons.

• Like 1