GDT 2/19 Devils at Islanders - 6pm MSG

Satans Hockey

I don't think Cory would've fallen to pieces if he had been given the start.  I think there are times where you can make exceptions to "rules".  

That being said, I have a much bigger problem with Kink never having been relieved than his starting the game.  I wasn't thrilled with him getting the start under these circumstances, but I can at least see why some would make a case for it.  But at the VERY latest, he should've been yanked at 5-3. 

Why do you automatically assume that Cory couldn't have possibly played in any capacity last night?  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Why do you automatically assume that Cory couldn't have possibly played in any capacity last night?  

I don't.  Schneider absolutely could have played.  The question is, does playing him make sense after such a huge workload?   Is Kinkaid really worse than Schneider coming into the game cold?   I don't know the answers to these questions, but if you can't play your backup goaltender on a back-to-back, you may as well not have him at all.   

4 minutes ago, Triumph said:

I don't.  Schneider absolutely could have played.  The question is, does playing him make sense after such a huge workload?   Is Kinkaid really worse than Schneider coming into the game cold?   I don't know the answers to these questions, but if you can't play your backup goaltender on a back-to-back, you may as well not have him at all.   

I agree with most of what you have said up until now, but I think others will make the argument and answer your question "Is Kinkaid really worse than Schenieder coming into the game cold" with a - Yes.  After allowing 4 goals through two periods, it's not exactly 100% definitive, but arguments could be made that suggest Schenider was at least worth considering at that point.  Again, if it was me, not saying it would've been an easy decision, or if I would have even done it, but I think that may have been the right move. Tough to say because I don't think many of the goals at that point, save for the wraparound with legs wide open, were really his fault.

I think if the Devils are trying to make the playoffs and are still in a game entering the third period where one goalie simply doesn't seem to have it, and the one on the bench has been playing well, you roll the dice.  It may not have worked out of course, but I would've preferred that to some suddenly-automatic "can't yank the backup" rule.  

Of course, you can make the argument that Kink having a rough game in a spot the Devils needed him to play well is just another indication that this team simply isn't good enough in 2016-17 to truly compete for a playoff berth.  Just another case of the Devils not getting enough contributions.  

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think if the Devils are trying to make the playoffs and are still in a game entering the third period where one goalie simply doesn't seem to have it, and the one on the bench has been playing well, you roll the dice.  It may not have worked out of course, but I would've preferred that to some suddenly-automatic "can't yank the backup" rule.  

Of course, you can make the argument that Kink having a rough game in a spot the Devils needed him to play well is just another indication that this team simply isn't good enough in 2016-17 to truly compete for a playoff berth.  Just another case of the Devils not getting enough contributions.  

It's not a rule.  It's something that makes sense.  If you're on a back-to-back, you're playing your backup to rest your starter.  You shouldn't change that just because of how the game shook out.

38 minutes ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

should have yanked Kinkaid after the second period for sure. I was fine with him getting the start as he was the logical choice on a back to back but he was clearly having a bad night.

Agree with this 100%

24 minutes ago, Triumph said:

It's not a rule.  It's something that makes sense.  If you're on a back-to-back, you're playing your backup to rest your starter.  You shouldn't change that just because of how the game shook out.

Basically this as well -- hindsight is 20/20. Doesn't mean that what was done initially wasn't the right choice.

I still can't believe our head coach actually threw in the towel last night on a crucial, crucial game.

Forget coming into the third period, Schneider should've started. He said he felt great, he's red hot, in their heads, and was an absolute must win game. If you can't push him by playing him last night then you'll never put all your cards out there for any critical situation.

Edited by devlman
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, devlman said:

I still can't believe our head coach actually threw in the towel last night on a crucial, crucial game.

Forget coming into the third period, Schneider should've started. He said he felt great, he's red hot, in their heads, and was an absolute must win game. If you can't push him by playing him last night then you'll never put all your cards out there for any critical situation.

I'd add also, he's gone in consecutive days several times this year. Perhaps the significance of these games warranted that happening as well. 

10 hours ago, Derek21 said:

You're wrong. At some point, you gotta go with your horse. Hasan has complained plenty of times about how they don't give Schneider enough leniency in back-to-backs. It was the same opponent he shut down. He was responsible for the first win. In a home and home where they needed four points, you don't go with your backup unless he's Raanta or Darling. If it's a quality backup you know you can count on, then sure. But the Devils needed the game. That was their best chance. I guess the tankers got their wish.

Kinkaid has been a quality backup this year. Look at his numbers before last night. I was fine with him getting the start. Where Hynes went wrong was not going to Cory in the 3rd when it was clear Kinkaid was struggling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Idk about "red hot" but he's certainly playing better than he was. 

12 hours ago, Triumph said:

Okay, good, I'm sure you've read a ton about how goalies do on back to backs, but keep telling me I'm wrong.

You didn't even prove anything here. Tell me why Schneider shouldn't have started or at least replaced an ineffective Kinkaid to give the team the shot in the arm it needed. 

I went and looked up Cory's game log for the season. So far, in the second game of back-to-back situations, he's 2-1-1 allowing 7 goals on 144 shots. That is pretty good. I would've thought Hynes would ride the hot hand with such huge stakes. 

Edited by Derek21
statistics on back to backs this year

10 hours ago, Triumph said:

You don't yank your backup goalie.  His whole reason for being on the team is playing when the starter can't.

I am gonna disagree here. You don't yank your starter during a period on home ice. Therrien did that to Price. That was the beginning of the end. Where does it say that you can't replace your backup? I'm not suggesting you pull him in the middle of a period. I am more a fan of pulling after a period is over and starting fresh. 

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Kinkaid has been a quality backup this year. Look at his numbers before last night. I was fine with him getting the start. Where Hynes went wrong was not going to Cory in the 3rd when it was clear Kinkaid was struggling. 

If you're not gonna start Cory, then they should've gone to him for that final period. It was make or break. They get within 4-3 and Kinkaid gave up two stinkers. 

11 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You said it yourself.  5th game in 8 days.  That's not excessive?  Especially when you consider he was coming off 40 shots in the most recent one, a mere 24 hours earlier?  I said nothing about whether or not I'd pull him at some point during the game.  I probably would have considered it and more than likely pulled the trigger at the end of the 2nd and let Cory start the 3rd and try to squeeze out a win.  Teams have backup goalies for a reason, and yesterday was one of those reasons.

I can agree with you on the amount played. But he had just shut down the Islanders. Why not stick with him? They're paying him starter's money to be the man for those big game situations. I think that game called for it. But as has been said already, they could've gone to him and replaced an ineffective Kinkaid. 

Let's be honest the team and the organisation has given up on this year. They made it pretty clear with that believe in 2017-18 promo they sent out at the start of the year. 

My hope for the rest of the year is that Zacha and the other young guys keep getting ice time and continue to improve. 

13 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Idk about "red hot" but he's certainly playing better than he was. 

.928 save% in January and .936 save% in February.  In his last 18 appearances, he's been at .912 or better in 14 of them.  On a team that clearly has some piss-poor defensemen on it.  It's hard to play much better than that. 

The above sums up my thoughts as well. I was genuinely surprised that Schneider did not start the 3rd period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/20/2017 at 2:13 PM, Triumph said:

It's not some December game against Colorado, it was a four-point game that basically ended any realistic chance of staying in the playoff race.  Which I get you would rather see them tank anyway, but if you're theoretically trying to make the playoffs at a certain point you have to make moves to try to win that particular game.  It's not as if Cory himself hasn't gotten early yankings this year.

On 2/20/2017 at 2:13 PM, Triumph said:

Kink gave up two goals nearly immediately in the third. It's not really going out on a limb to say yes, Cory couldn't have been worse in that situation.