GDT - Devils vs Senators 2/21/17

NJDfan1711

13 minutes ago, '7' said:

Now 3 days off until we lose 4-1 in front of 10k Rag fans.

These were two very winnable games we just got 0 points out of. Hynes bungled the goalie situation in the 3rd period vs the Isles (heck should've started Schneider) and today just snakebit

This team has been very unlucky for a very long time.

I wish we can actually win games in which we played as badly as Ottawa did tonight. But we never do.

We did on Friday, by the way

I will confess I didn't watch about 95% of the game because I was in class, but his underlying numbers seem to indicate Cammy wasn't nearly as bad as you guys are making him out to be, he has a +13 shot attempt differential. I did catch the last 5 minutes and he didn't look good to my eye, but his numbers indicate he wasn't an albatross.

More and more the Devils remind me of a wayward teenage kid who's kind of likable in spite of himself, but can't seem to stay out of trouble.  You keep pleading with him to do better and to get himself under control...and sometimes he does...for a little while.  You give him second, third, fourth, even fifth chances...but ultimately it's the same sh!t, again and again.  The hard part is knowing when to say "OK, I wash my hands of you, I give up dammit!"  I can't do it.  Even with lowered expectations, it's still a bummer when they can't string together a few wins.   

Just wish this team had some more surprises in it.  But this just ain't their year. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

More and more the Devils remind me of a wayward teenage kid who's kind of likable in spite of himself, but can't seem to stay out into trouble.  You keep pleading with him to do better and to get himself under control...and sometimes he does...for a little while.  You give him second, third, fourth, even fifth chances...but ultimately it's the same sh!t, again and again.  The hard part is knowing when to say "OK, I wash my hands of you, I give up dammit!"  I can't do it.  Even with lowered expectations, it's still a bummer when they can't string together a few wins.   

Just wish this team had some more surprises in it.  But this just ain't their year. 

I take solace in the fact that the effort is there pretty much every night. They are really the definition of middling. I would say talent wise, and record wise...they are exactly who they are. They won't string together any sort of winning streak the rest of the way, nor will they have any sort of prolonged bottom falling out winning streak either.

It has not been a memorable year in terms of fun moments, amazing unpredictable things, statistical milestones. This has been about as water-treading and inconsequential a year as I can ever remember. And another year of Schneiders prime wasted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

I take solace in the fact that the effort is there pretty much every night. They are really the definition of middling. I would say talent wise, and record wise...they are exactly who they are. They won't string together any sort of winning streak the rest of the way, nor will they have any sort of prolonged bottom falling out winning streak either.

It has not been a memorable year in terms of fun moments, amazing unpredictable things, statistical milestones. This has been about as water-treading and inconsequential a year as I can ever remember. And another year of Schneiders prime wasted.

Agree 100% on the effort...they do try and I've always felt that way.  It's never felt like they've collectively mailed it in (though some matchups can make it appear that way). 

And yeah, sucks that Cory is entering his age 31 season with no immediate hope in sight.  Gotta wonder if he starts thinking about waiving his NTC as soon as next year's deadline.  But too early to speculate on that, really. 

Agree with pretty much all of what the two of you said in the last couple posts.  And it's what makes the off-season seem even longer than usual, because as CR said, we can't give up and wash our hands with them, so we're left in early April hanging on for 5-6 months waiting eagerly to see what the next year brings, and if that year really will be "their year".  

10 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agree with pretty much all of what the two of you said in the last couple posts.  And it's what makes the off-season seem even longer than usual, because as CR said, we can't give up and wash our hands with them, so we're left in early April hanging on for 5-6 months waiting eagerly to see what the next year brings, and if that year really will be "their year".  

And I freely admit that I'm a Devils fan, not an "NHL fan", if that makes any sense.  Once the Devils are out of the playoffs, so am I.  I can't just watch any two hockey teams go at it with much conviction (I wish I could, in that there's obviously some terrific hockey worth watching).  I really miss the anticipation of a playoff appearance, that first round matchup...for so long, spring and April and Devils playoff hockey seems to be synonymous...even though they had some very quick one-and-dones, they were still at least getting in, and usually pretty safely, where you knew for several days or even weeks that they were in. 

Compared to many fanbases, it's not like we've been suffering for all that long...right now the Devils might be in a valley, but better than being moored in a crater, and I've seen teams trapped in those, seemingly forever in some cases.  But I do miss the playoffs.  Man do I miss the playoffs.

• Like 2

I'll say this - the first round of the playoffs has been pretty sweet the last few years.

Lots of energy, healthy players, rivalries to build upon.

But after that, once the defensive grind takes over I'm out. Can't get myself emotionally involved in two teams I don't care about.

10 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'll say this - the first round of the playoffs has been pretty sweet the last few years.

But after that, once the defensive grind takes over I'm out. Can't get myself emotionally involved in two teams I don't care about.

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I freely admit that I'm a Devils fan, not an "NHL fan", if that makes any sense.  Once the Devils are out of the playoffs, so am I.  I can't just watch any two hockey teams go at it with much conviction (I wish I could, in that there's obviously some terrific hockey worth watching).  I really miss the anticipation of a playoff appearance, that first round matchup...for so long, spring and April and Devils playoff hockey seems to be synonymous...even though they had some very quick one-and-dones, they were still at least getting in, and usually pretty safely, where you knew for several days or even weeks that they were in. 

Compared to many fanbases, it's not like we've been suffering for all that long...right now the Devils might be in a valley, but better than being moored in a crater, and I've seen teams trapped in those, seemingly forever in some cases.  But I do miss the playoffs.  Man do I miss the playoffs.

I'm a Devils fan before anything else, but I do love the game of hockey in general too.  I would think we all do, right?   It makes sense to me, because if I didn't like the sport of hockey as a kid I wouldn't be a Devils fan to begin with.  I mean, can anyone here, or anywhere, actually say they just decided to be a fan of their favorite team out of pure love for them, without even knowing what they did or who they were?  No, at least for me, I grew up first skating on ice/roller at around age 3-4.  I can remember being really young and may parents taking me to ice rinks where I first started to learn to skate.  Around age 5-6 was when I first started watching the NHL, and lo and behold the Devils were the first team I can recall watching highlights of in the morning from the game the night before.  At age 7 I started playing both ice and roller, but eventually and quickly stuck with just roller and have been playing it ever since.  But it was at that time I really loved hockey, and the Devils.  I played a ton of other sports as a kid and was good at them too - baseball, basketball, etc, but hockey was and is my favorite to this day, even after living in FL for 19 years now.

I wouldn't say I am emotionally invested in any of the other teams at all (well, I have a soft spot for the Lightning since I live in the area and I like to support the hometown team), but even if it's two random teams I couldn't care less about, I'll still tune in now and then because I like watching the sport, and enjoy seeing good competition.  It's also something fun to do when you go out to a bar on a Friday or Saturday night, rather than do the same old thing like check out girls, play drinking games, and so forth.  It's much more fun when there's sports on TV at the local bar to keep you entertained longer.  

I guess I'm also just such a sports fan in general which is why I can get into the Cup playoffs even if we're not in.  I love watching sports year round, particularly football and hockey.  Don't get me wrong, it's a lot less fun when my favorite teams aren't in it, and there's definitely a sinking feeling when the last game of the regular season is played in April and the Devils are packing up and not playing anymore.  I know that hockey is still on which will be fun to watch, but a part of me is broken and won't be healed until next October when they hit the ice again and compete in a new season.    It's the same reason that, for pretty much the rest of the season, even though we're all but out of playoff contention now, I'll still crack open my laptop on a random weeknight when we're playing, connect to the streaming program I use, and listen to/watch this team.

We all <3 the Devils. 

I used to care a lot more about the "other" teams, and when I was younger, I was definitely much more of a "Let me watch any two teams go at it, I love hockey!" guy...all the hours that me and my friends would kill just playing the EA NHL games (in their infancy)...great memories.  Not sure what changed.  The only sport that I still feel that way about is football, but most football fans feel that way.  But I used to watch a lot of Ranger games (so easy to root for the opponent), and a lot of "good matchup" games, along with damned near every Devils game.  I also wasn't married with a kid then either. 

For me, I've told the story before, but my parents took me and my brother to a Devils-Flyers game in December 1983 (Devils lost 8-2), and from that day on, I was a Devils fan.  I latched onto both the sport and the team in one sitting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I used to care a lot more about the "other" teams, and when I was younger, I was definitely much more of a "Let me watch any two teams go at it, I love hockey!" guy...all the hours that me and my friends would kill just playing the EA NHL games (in their infancy)...great memories.  Not sure what changed.  The only sport that I still feel that way about is football, but most football fans feel that way.  But I used to watch a lot of Ranger games (so easy to root for the opponent), and a lot of "good matchup" games, along with damned near every Devils game.  I also wasn't married with a kid then either. 

For me, I've told the story before, but my parents took me and my brother to a Devils-Flyers game in December 1983 (Devils lost 8-2), but from that day on, I was a Devils fan.  I latched onto both the sport and the team in one sitting. 

What I find happens to me is that when the Devils are eliminated (and we had some CRUSHING eliminations in 2002, 2008, 2009, 2010 (2004 was annoying too. Robert Esche...you kidding me?) I just needed to pull away. But when the finals got near again I tried to re-engage and get into it. Though admittedly some finals were just impossible. Ducks-Senators, who cares? Tampa/Calgary also played one of the worst 7 game series I've ever seen quality wise. That was pure rugby. (even though some late series games went into OT)  Also back then hockey wasn't as over-saturated (as every sport is today) so it was kind of special to see Campbell Conference games and see Gretzky or Fleury or Coffey or even Selanne in his first dynamic year.

Edited by '7'

I got really into MMA at the time of the 2004 lockout so I kind of lost my passion for hockey for a year or so. It came back very fast but only for the Devils. Like CR I used to know every player in the league and would watch whatever game of whatever team I could. Now I only watch Devils games and that's plenty. No time to be a league fan anymore. I don't even really watch any other sports anymore either. Can't imagine watching multiple sports and being able to keep up with every player in the leagues like I did when I was a kid.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I can agree with that. The first round of the playoffs is always really fun. Tons of exciting hockey on every single night. Once it starts dwindling down to a game or two every other night, I start checking out, unless a team like the rangers are still in. Then I'll still tune in to watch them hopefully lose.

• Like 1

This is the least amount of hockey I've ever watched. The 2 outdoor games were the only non Devils games I've watched. It's also the first year I've never had a form of center ice. I'm just not interested in watching other teams. 

I always watch all the games in the playoffs though but if it's not the Devils I DVR them and fast forward during anything that isn't the game and in between stoppages. So only takes me about 65 mins to watch a game. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

33 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I got really into MMA at the time of the 2004 lockout so I kind of lost my passion for hockey for a year or so. It came back very fast but only for the Devils. Like CR I used to know every player in the league and would watch whatever game of whatever team I could. Now I only watch Devils games and that's plenty. No time to be a league fan anymore. I don't even really watch any other sports anymore either. Can't imagine watching multiple sports and being able to keep up with every player in the leagues like I did when I was a kid.

I know what you mean, to a degree.  When I was younger, I used to know every player on every team, and other things like stats and records.  I got some books as gifts that I would read on occasion and learn things about the players, teams, and so forth.  I also traded cards with friends which helped emphasize the details about them in my head.  I definitely had more free time back then for sure, but I think what it comes down to is that I have a pretty good memory.  Even to this day, even though I still enjoy reading some articles now and then and I do frequently check the standings of my favorite sports leagues and teams,  I can hear stats in passing on the TV, or see players online and highlights quickly online, and the information just kind of sticks with me, to the point where I can usually recall it in conversation, or whenever.    This is coming from someone who up until recently had a live-in girlfriend with 3 kids for the past 10 years, not to mention a typical 9-5 job M-F.   I guess I really do just love sports I suppose.

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

This is the least amount of hockey I've ever watched. The 2 outdoor games were the only non Devils games I've watched. I always watch all the games in the playoffs but if it's not the Devils I DVR them and fast forward during anything that isn't the game and in between stoppages. So only takes me about 65 mins to watch a game. 

Holy crap, you watch every single playoff game??

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Holy crap, you watch every single playoff game??

Yeah but I DVR them like I said and don't watch live and some I watch the next day. You can watch 3 games in the span of 1 actual live broadcast that way so it's not as crazy as it seems lol I only watch when the puck is in play otherwise I'm fast forwarding. I use a tivo dvr and the fast forwarding on it is so incredibly responsive that it makes it extremely easy to do. If I watch football that's how I watch a game as well. Can legit watch an NFL game in 25 mins lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

Still a league fan too, there's a pretty fair amount of good games to watch across the league.  I enjoy watching the teams that fly up and down the ice as well as the more physical teams (granted there aren't that many any more).  I'm starting to lean towards watching an out of town game that I find exciting rather than some of the less exciting games we tend to play on some nights.